Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Arya in the library was literally just Lex and Tim versus the raptors in the kitchen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Chinatown posted:

we were SO CLOSE to a giant stepping on someone :sigh:

I was rooting for this thread the entire time the giant was on screen.

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FogHelmut posted:

why do you need to take the black if there's no more wall and no more night king to keep out with the wall and you've already let the wildlings through to partake in society?

once you go black you cant go back

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Waltzing Along posted:

This looks real:

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/a4ea1k/spoilers_i_know/em1rby4/

It's going to own when it all plays out like that because it's very dumb

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

DoctorGonzo posted:

once you go black you cant go back

new Night Watch vows right here

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/freefolk/comments/a4ea1k/spoilers_i_know/em1rby4/

It's going to own when it all plays out like that because it's very dumb

I wonder if someone's been posting similar spoilers for the earlier eps, and how they played out.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

Tyrion gives a speech and everyone votes on Bran to become King. The end.

lmao that was plausible up until here

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ROFLburger posted:

I really hate the idea, but you could do worse for a king than someone who is completely divorced from emotion/attachment to any specific family/part of the land, and also carries the collective knowledge of the human race (apparently?) in his head.

e: bonus - Tyrion will give a rousing speech on how Varys was the one who was truly in favor of the people, because he had no emotional attachments, and this is why Bran would be a good king. At some point in the speech he will make a joke about how Varys had no peener.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

FogHelmut posted:

why do you need to take the black if there's no more wall and no more night king to keep out with the wall and you've already let the wildlings through to partake in society?

Aren't there also like 20 wildlings left alive? They really seem to get thrown into the meat grinder. Any time something important happens in the north, its involves a significant number of wildlings dying.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

ROFLburger posted:

That's fine. The Jon taking up the black is a bit odd. But who the gently caress knows. The rest fits with the poo poo we've been seeing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I really hate the idea, but you could do worse for a king than someone who is completely divorced from emotion/attachment to any specific family/part of the land, and also carries the collective knowledge of the human race (apparently?) in his head.

He's going to spend all his time drinking and whoring peeping on you as you poop and warging into ravens who are also peeping on you while you poop

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Waltzing Along posted:

That's fine. The Jon taking up the black is a bit odd. But who the gently caress knows. The rest fits with the poo poo we've been seeing.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

He's going to spend all his time drinking and whoring peeping on you as you poop and warging into ravens who are also peeping on you while you poop

I was gonna say "why would anyone accept a king/queen who can't produce a successor" and then I remembered Dany's poison womb lol

So the entire show is meaningless because as soon as Dany or Bran die there'll immediately be another succession war. I like it

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I was gonna say "why would anyone accept a king/queen who can't produce a successor" and then I remembered Dany's poison womb lol

So the entire show is meaningless because as soon as Dany or Bran die there'll immediately be another succession war. I like it

The old 3 eyed raven lived for hundreds? thousands? of years so Bran will be fine. Just hook him up to a nice tree in King's Landing.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The old 3 eyed raven lived for hundreds? thousands? of years so Bran will be fine. Just hook him up to a nice tree in King's Landing.

ah, the Warhammer 40k method.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Aren't there also like 20 wildlings left alive? They really seem to get thrown into the meat grinder. Any time something important happens in the north, its involves a significant number of wildlings dying.

Was tragic was the MILF wildling got killed.

Manic Mailman
Jul 2, 2004
I just want a Brienne , Jamie, Tormund 3 way suckfest before series end.

I'm ok with the Arya teleportation, I just didn't understand what Bran was doing by the time the NK showed up ( he looked bad rear end by the way I was hoping he would talk).

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: bonus - Tyrion will give a rousing speech on how Varys was the one who was truly in favor of the people, because he had no emotional attachments, and this is why Bran would be a good king. At some point in the speech he will make a joke about how Varys had no peener.

that's true enough, but at this point Bran is the most colossal waste of time or any character in an 8 season show I've ever seen. The show would be probably better served by just forgetting he even exists. Unless he does something sick as hell in the next three episodes please do not put him back on the screen. There's only so much rainmanning Bran can do before his enigmatic character arc becomes tiresome and we're way beyond that point

:goonsay:

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

*twelve years later*

Mornin' Bran, how'd you sleep?

I'm not Bran, at least---not anymore.....

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ROFLburger posted:

How can you watch last night's episode and still think something is too stupid be plausible for the show runners?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Waltzing Along posted:

This looks real:

- Euron's fleet takes down Rhaegal.

- Jaime betrays the North. Missandei is captured.

- Dany's army captures Jaime. Brienne tries to talk to him but he refuses.

- Sansa tells Tyrion about Jon's lineage. Tyrion tells Varys.

- Varys betrays Dany because he thinks Jon would be a better ruler.

- Cersei has Missandei executed.

- Dany has Varys executed. Dany assaults King's Landing and it's one-sided as hell.

- Tyrion begs her to show mercy but she refuses.

- Tyrion frees Jaime to try to get Cersei out of the city.

- King's Landing gets wrecked in the battle. Drogon burns Euron's fleet.

- The Hound fights his brother. They both die.

- Jaime fights Euron and kills him, but Jaime is mortally wounded.

- Jaime makes it to Cersei and they die together.

- Dany is executing everyone in King's Landing. Jon and Tyrion are upset.

- Dany has Tyrion arrested to be executed for freeing Jaime.

- Tyrion tries to convince Jon that his family will never be safe because his lineage makes him a threat to Dany's rule.

- Jon tries to talk to Dany but she justifies her actions.

- Jon pledges himself to Dany but then stabs her, then surrenders himself.

A council gets formed to decide who the King should be. Tyrion gives a speech and everyone votes on Bran to become King. The end.

In the epilogue, Jon takes the black again for killing Dany. Arya leaves. Sansa rules the North. Bran oversees his council of Tyrion, Davos, Sam, and Bronn.

i can see parts of it happening.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

*long line of supplicants await king bran in the throne roon*

Bran: I'm out *wargs into own poo poo, all day*

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

And the winner of today's raffle is.....*shuffles through scraps of paper with names written on them*

Bran Stark!

*shouting* "I'm not Bran, not anymore....."

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Imagine a council picking someone to be king who is not Davos. Nevermind Bran, who won't ever make an heir and is therefore worthless.

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman

Snow Cone Capone posted:

If Jaime betrays the north then how will they stretch out the best love triangle on the show to the very end

This owns.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

big nipples big life posted:

How can you watch last night's episode and still think something is too stupid be plausible for the show runners?

it's easy, watch: imagine bran winning the game of thrones

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
lol I need to stop reading these hot takes on the episode.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/on-television/game-of-thrones-season-8-episode-3-recap-the-stab-heard-round-the-world

quote:

The Night King approaches our raven-boy hero, to a few plaintive piano notes. With the calm of a tai-chi master, he begins to unsheathe his backpack sword. And who should come flying through the air—I understand neither the logistics nor the “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon” physics of this, and frankly I don’t care—but Arya effing Stark, screaming like a warrior, Valyrian-steel dagger in hand. The Night King turns and grabs her, midair; she stabs him in the chest—with the same dagger that was used in an attempt to kill Bran in Season 1!—and causes him to explode into a bunch of deliriously wonderful ice cubes, his whole horrible army following suit: White Walkers, undead dragon, wights, all those motherfuckers. I growl-scream with such joyful force that my neighbors may dial 911, or at least 311. A thousand C.G.I. ice monsters go boom, and somehow it has brought me great joy. The living have vanquished the dead, and I have become a fantasy enthusiast.

jfc

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

ROFLburger posted:

2 days ago I wouldn't be able to picture it, today I'll believe anything.

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

ROFLburger posted:

Honestly he’s probably the closest they can get to an impartial god-emperor who can’t be swayed by threats or bribes, and he’ll live for several millennia. Also he can psychically sniff out any assassination attempts, leading to thousands of years of peace and prosperity

tpink
Feb 18, 2013

Melman
One more because I hate myself.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2019/04/game-thrones-season-8-episode-3-the-long-night-review/588247

quote:

The manner of his offing—death from above by Arya, wielding the Valyrian-steel dagger an assassin tried to murder Bran with way back in Season 1—was undeniably cool. I was a little let down, though, that Arya didn’t get to use her specific skills more (why not have her disguise herself as a White Walker?), but as far as dei ex machina go, it’s hard to argue with the pint-size killer Stark.[

Who is paying these people for their terrible opinions?

edit to add more suck:

quote:

But it was Arya’s slayage that offered the most payoff. Though we’ve seen her shut many an opponent’s eye previously, her hail of staff-whirls and well-timed stabs nearly justified all those mopping scenes at the House of Black and White in Season 5. She felt like the right character to fell the Night King, because she was the one who had trained for this moment the most. She had faced death to face death.

lmao

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

I have become a fantasy enthusiast

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Actually it was good that Arya killed the NK. It was good that Drogon's fire ended up doing nothing (and got to be shown doing nothing). Was Jon going to go swordfight him and go clang clang clang and win somehow? Jon is a good fighter, but there's no reason to think he could beat the scariest dude in the world in a straight fight. A sudden sneak attack in a world where the good guys die in sudden violence is on point. The bad part of the scene was Theon not getting one more Drowned God symbolic moment and getting in a good shot when everyone thought he was dead.

It was good that the Dothraki died right away in a suicide charge. When Mel lit their swords on fire, there was a spark of "maybe the good guys can do this..." which was squashed immediately and set the tone for the whole battle.

Nobody important dying was bad, and the fuzzy darkness was bad, and the dragons flying around in fog where we couldn't see anything happen was bad. Hopefully more of the little budding pairs get torn apart in the back half so we can have some sweet survivor's guilt.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Sticking Bran in a loving tree then having everyone worship an all-knowing eldritch immortal god-king would probably be the best possible outcome, really

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

tpink posted:

Who is paying these people for their terrible opinions?

Us. With our clicks.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Clark Nova posted:

Sticking Bran in a loving tree then having everyone worship an all-knowing eldritch immortal god-king would probably be the best possible outcome, really

Yeah Dune was sick as hell

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
What did this show teach us? What did we learn from the story of the Night King?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I think that guy meant Bronn will become king, not Bran

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Dumb Lowtax posted:

What did this show teach us? What did we learn from the story of the Night King?

anime is real

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

Global warming(cooling in the show) isn't real and even if it is the republicans are smart to do nothing because someone else will deal with it.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Infinite Karma posted:

Actually it was good that Arya killed the NK. It was good that Drogon's fire ended up doing nothing (and got to be shown doing nothing). Was Jon going to go swordfight him and go clang clang clang and win somehow? Jon is a good fighter, but there's no reason to think he could beat the scariest dude in the world in a straight fight. A sudden sneak attack in a world where the good guys die in sudden violence is on point. The bad part of the scene was Theon not getting one more Drowned God symbolic moment and getting in a good shot when everyone thought he was dead.

Nah, someone (Bran probably, since this way he could actually do something in this show) should've stuffed some green dragonglass into the night-king, healing and reversing the spell placed upon him by the children of the forest. Instead of killing this unstoppable force of destruction built to end all human life, they fix it. End the war through a positive action, rather than arya ninja stabbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

and bad

but we already knew that I guess