Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I beat Ultrakill on violent bb. I only got 7 more p ranks (everything after 4-4 + prime) until I'll have aced it that regard too. I suspect that'll take, oh, probably 24 more hours of playtime. God this game is amazing. Remarkable achievement. I'm not sure there's ever been a game I've played where butting your head against a difficult point, racking up scores of restarts and finally squeaking past a tough room or boss feels like an actual triumph instead of just a relief from frustration. Hell even when poo poo gets messy and you button mash your way to victory it still feels earned because hey, obviously I mashed the right buttons and I''ve gotten owned playing my best before.

These last levels are gonna be so brutal to perfect though :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Popped up in my subs (don't mind the tiddy clickbait thumbnail, channel's gotta get its clicks)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdleedRMM3U&t=18s

Lots of familiar stuff here if you've played shooters for the past XX years (also I like the weird captives in the cells)

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
It looks like someone started with a remake of Unreal in Quake 2, then decided to do their own thing and make a sequel to a Pie in the Sky game they made when they were 12 (look at the creatures in those prison cells!), plus they also found their school notebook full of doodles of breasty alien ladies blasting sci-fi goons they did in detention in high school and decided to toss them in too. A+, I'll keep an eye out for it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

What do you mean? I'm already on lenient difficulty wise and I can't go much lower without impugning my honor

Milo and POTUS posted:

I beat Ultrakill on violent bb. I only got 7 more p ranks (everything after 4-4 + prime) until I'll have aced it that regard too. I suspect that'll take, oh, probably 24 more hours of playtime. God this game is amazing. Remarkable achievement. I'm not sure there's ever been a game I've played where butting your head against a difficult point, racking up scores of restarts and finally squeaking past a tough room or boss feels like an actual triumph instead of just a relief from frustration. Hell even when poo poo gets messy and you button mash your way to victory it still feels earned because hey, obviously I mashed the right buttons and I''ve gotten owned playing my best before.

These last levels are gonna be so brutal to perfect though :negative:

the "i'm not sure if i can beat this even on low difficulty" to "perfect rank on nearly every level on the highest difficulty and i want more" pipeline is real

the second prime boss is coming "soon" :blastu: :bananacoin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aHMGok80Zo

repiv fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Mar 3, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

A.o.D. posted:

HL2 is the best bludgeon someone to death with a hypersonic toilet game I've ever played.

Honestly I've found the Gravity Gun to not actually be all that good, it's just too slow and finicky to really be worth using unless you just don't have any ammo for your guns and at that point I say gently caress it and just break out the cheat codes cause none of the Half-Life games are anywhere near good enough games to bother playing through without cheats

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly I've found the Gravity Gun to not actually be all that good, it's just too slow and finicky to really be worth using unless you just don't have any ammo for your guns and at that point I say gently caress it and just break out the cheat codes cause none of the Half-Life games are anywhere near good enough games to bother playing through without cheats

The deathmatch gravity gun is a different beast altogether. It's the best.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I hate the gravity gun but L.O.L. at claiming the Half-Life games aren't worth actually playing without cheats. You idiot. You absolute fool.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
The gravity gun is OP and can one shot most enemies, what are you talking about? Rip dat radiator off the wall and go ham

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

The gravity gun is OP and can one shot most enemies, what are you talking about? Rip dat radiator off the wall and go ham

Personally I preferred guns, I prefer guns, and I will always prefer guns.

God made toilets for pooping and I have no interest in weaponizing the toilets themselves--just the things I put in them.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I hate the gravity gun but L.O.L. at claiming the Half-Life games aren't worth actually playing without cheats. You idiot. You absolute fool.

To be fair HL2 absolutely does need cheats to raise the ammo limits, without that you only get to use the actually fun guns (like the magnum and, ummmm, the EMG alt-fire?) once a level.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Personally I preferred guns, I prefer guns, and I will always prefer guns.

God made toilets for pooping and I have no interest in weaponizing the toilets themselves--just the things I put in them.

Toilets are Bad anyways since they break too easily. Use sawblades, or failing that, radiators. Or explosives, which like toilets are single-use but unlike toilets, explode.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Eh they're important games but not actually very fun to play, the gunplay is mediocre, the enemies are either brainless or aggravating to fight, and they rely too heavily on resource starving you as well

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Most areas I've been in my current play through don't have many items lying around that can actually do the one shot thing and half the time the item goes flying off never to be seen again, it would be so much better if you could just use it on corpses and/or the burst effect was usable on enemies besides Headcrabs

Barudak
May 7, 2007

So I'm pretty sure spells in Witchaven 2 are in the game because thats easier than doing basic things like "switches can be used more than once". I got trapped in level 4 until I used the door unlock spell because there are switches that can only be used once and I went the wrong way first. In level 5, there is an entire upper area with a key that should you exit before grabbing the key cannot be returned to without the flight spell because the switch you used to ride an elevator up there is one time only.

Level 5 also has an arrow trap where I'm pretty sure I've realized the devs did not ever intend to fix the projectile arrow bug that Civvie noted in his review of Witchaven 1 (its literally coded so they can't hit you, but not on purpose), but in the "fixed" versions where arrow traps work required probably close to 30 tries for me to escape despite entering with max health and armor and stocked HP potions.

It is however, kind of neat that a theoretical speedrun of this game could be incredibly fast since you can bypass lots of keys and enemies have the pursuit instincts of a wall.

Edit: Your bow never loses durability. However, you can downgrade your enchanted bow for an unenchanted bow at any time, since the game seems to think the unenchanted version is more durable than the enchanted one, making seeing new bows on walls a must avoid if enchanted while completely useless if not.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Mar 3, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I just finished MAP15 of Back To Saturn X 2. ("The Theory of Broken Circles", or "Birdwatching in the Forbidden Realm") Geeeeeez these guys are nuts. Such a massive and intricate map, not long after another similarly massive one. And it features one of the coolest secret level exits I've seen. Takes a lot of work to get it open, and I love how there's a wall texture of the map that gives you a hint on how to do it.

I may regret actually going to the secret map though...

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Milo and POTUS posted:

I also just preferred the weapons in HL1. Not being able to shoot the shotty mid reload isn't quite a dealbreaker but I did not care for that. And the SMG losing 40% of its ammo too, plus the recoil...
you gotta pull down when shooting it a bit but when you do it's a laser beam, it's mostly camera recoil and the actual spread pattern is tight

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Most of the problems I had with the gravity gun are fixed in HL2 VR. The overall gunplay is improved in general (VR shooting brings QOL features like ADS by default), but having full independent directional over the gravity gun lets you fling stuff around like mad and the improved FOV lets you spot debris to pull in as ammunition a lot easier too. The physics based puzzles also become considerably less jank with the ability to freely rotate whatever you've grabbed.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
one thing I always appreciated about HL2 as a kid was its atmosphere, the Ravenholm chapter is a classic for a reason

also the gravity gun has a weird thing where its gun feel is very dependent on the actual object you are throwing with it, there are few things in any game that feel better than bisecting an enemy with a sawblade but at the same time hitting something with a box or more nonstandard physics object can feel weirdly wimpy

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

ToxicFrog posted:

To be fair HL2 absolutely does need cheats to raise the ammo limits, without that you only get to use the actually fun guns (like the magnum and, ummmm, the EMG alt-fire?) once a level.

Yeah the Combine Rifle is a really great weapon with its bassy thwunka-thwunka-thwunka gunfire and psychotic wizard orb alt-fire, and it's a shame that the ammo was so stingy for it.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I liked the gravity gun in multiplayer but in single player I wanted to use guns more than the game wanted me to. I didn't like most of Ravenholm because I wanted to shoot stuff.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ravenholm was like, the absolute low point of HL2 for me, which is astounding for a game with interminable driving and box pushing puzzles

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

ToxicFrog posted:

Or explosives, which like toilets are single-use but unlike toilets, explode.

Bullshit, I'm blowing up toilets all the time!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
you can consider me a "I just want to actually shoot things" guy. picking up physics props and hurling them at things gets sort of annoying, sawblading a zombie is neat the first time, then doing it repeatedly on zombie after zombie, not so much.

But I think if you made the gravity gun not something you had to switch to, but instead just activated on a hotkey while still keeping your current weapon equipped, I'd be way more into it. basically make it like a bioshock 2 plasmid tbh

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wonder where I left my HL2:DM shirt.

The image is just the gravity gun toilet upside the head kill icon.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

John Murdoch posted:

I wonder where I left my HL2:DM shirt.

The image is just the gravity gun toilet upside the head kill icon.

My HL2:DM mousepad with the same image is still at my old office and is something like 15 years old. When I visit my coworkers there is amusing that they keep it around (and clean to boot!).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I wish I got the HL2DM shirt, but it had gone out of print by the time I was in a position to buy t-shirts from the other side of the planet off the internet... I'm sure there are other means, but "bootleg videogame t-shirt" seems like an even lower tier than "videogame t-shirt".

Then again, I mostly wear local band shirts these days so :shrug:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Witchaven 2 has decided that the correct way to ensure that the back half of your melee focused high damage lava-floor filled FPS increases in difficulty is to simply stop including med packs.

Git Gud, says Capstone.

Edit: The trick to getting past arrow traps is that potion of fire resistance makes you immune to arrows

Barudak fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Mar 3, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

drrockso20 posted:

Eh they're important games but not actually very fun to play, the gunplay is mediocre, the enemies are either brainless or aggravating to fight, and they rely too heavily on resource starving you as well

Most areas I've been in my current play through don't have many items lying around that can actually do the one shot thing and half the time the item goes flying off never to be seen again, it would be so much better if you could just use it on corpses and/or the burst effect was usable on enemies besides Headcrabs

this is genuinely painful to read.

cuc
Nov 25, 2013
A video essay on the Chargeback mechanic in Ultrakill, or "how much can you do with a coin flip?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cU68tWYUX68&t=170s

It has a 3-minutes long preamble. The link above is timestamped to the start of the actual Ultrakill part.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

i liked ravenholm and the gravity gun a lot, but i also liked the dream sequences in max payne, and my favorite fps ever is far cry 2. i am a broken man

e: also, love the new thread title, whatever the context was

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah the Combine Rifle is a really great weapon with its bassy thwunka-thwunka-thwunka gunfire and psychotic wizard orb alt-fire, and it's a shame that the ammo was so stingy for it.

Ooh, yeah. I did like that weapon. And I did remember the ammo running out constantly. The balls in particular were rare as hens teeth

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'll be back when we're done with this gross revisionist Half-Life/Half-Life 2 Is Bad Actually phase :barf:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

That was just one person!

Who should be severely punished

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they should be stomped on by a strider

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
HL2 dislikes the idea of you using good guns for a long period of time. It wants you to frequently have the choice to fall back on either lovely guns or launching clutter with the gravity gun. It’s not all bad. There are some good guns after all, and sometimes you have great clutter to shoot because you’re fighting in Crazy Joe’s House of Saw Blades and Gas Tanks. And the various flavors of combine cop are genuinely fun to kill. But ant lions and zombies are both a lot less interesting as enemies than Valve obviously hoped. They tried to improve on both in the expansions, without much success imo. They also added hunters, which would be a pretty cool enemy…if they weren’t almost immune to bullets so you have to clutter them to death.

They struggled with the power level the gravity gun should have imo. The fact is that its quality as a weapon is mostly dependent on the clutter at hand is an interesting gimmick—I can’t think of another FPS weapon that works like that, the only thing that’s somewhat close is the Throw power in Dark Forces 2. But it also makes the gun hard to balance. (In the case of Throw it’s like 90% of the time completely useless, 9% ok, 1% win button). It’s essentially all down to the map decoration how good it is. It isn’t helped by the fact that you briefly get the super gravity gun which is good enough to obviate all other weapons and make combat trivial, but then it gets taken away and you’re back with the lovely old orange boy again. Would have been kinder to just euthanize it.

skasion fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Mar 3, 2023

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Doom 3 has a gravity gun in the DLC. Its neat, and since it can grab imp fire balls kind of cooler than the gravity gun in HL2 but the expansion isnt built for it so use guns.

Also I think Half Life 2 is like a 73 out of 100 for me, so put me wherever that is. Its got lots of inventive bits but unlike something like its contemporary and vastly jankier game Breakdown it never transcended its construction. Like both games have horrible repeated traversal sections but the ones in Breakdown are tied to a gameplay catharsis while the ones in HL2 are just there.

You know what, just, go play Breakdown and let its cruelty wash over you like two shirtless men punching you in a burning hallway.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 3, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
At the time I think hl2 was really well loved but it hasn't aged the best. In retrospect a lot of it feels like a tech demo with a story attached and then the gameplay was tertiary to those. Maybe tech demo isn't really accurate, it's also like a thesis for a "psychology in gameplay" major? It feels like valve made the game to understand how to make games better but then that was kind of it.

Doom3 is also funny because the gravity gun was actually a mapping tool that got repurposed as a weapon for the DLC after hl2 was a hit. They used it to make clutter in the destroyed base look better, they'd arrange a normal room and then use the gravity gun to gently caress poo poo up and then save that placement for everything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

:dafuq:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

What is even going on. Does anyone else hear Mad World playing

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

I'll be back when we're done with this gross revisionist Half-Life/Half-Life 2 Is Bad Actually phase :barf:

Between this and Metroid Prime Was Bad Actually, what the gently caress

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

If we're going to sit here making GBS threads on Half-Life 2, we should at least do it on the basis that Water Hazard and Highway 17 are both a horribly paced drag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

there's only one way to settle this, we assemble a panel of zoomers and have them play HL2 for the first time to see if they like it