Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

gschmidl posted:

They are placing it during school holidays to offload the capacity a little, but yeah, Sat/Sun have remained the busiest days.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to go too but I feel it would be immensely irresponsible and stupid of me. We're usually 5 or 6 people to go and all agree on that, too, as it turns out.

I might think differently if I could drive for an hour, dip in, get games, and flee - but I've also not really seen anything that interests me in the slightest in the previews :sigh:

Yeah, I can see that.

I will drive alone and be by myself (I like it that way tbh, just having a day for me).

I'm interested in Messina 1347, Corrosion and Arc Nova (which I already preordered).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Jedit posted:

Spiel is always held during the school holidays. Is that what you meant?

It is now, yeah, didn't use to be the case... 10 years? ago? Thu/Fri were deserted in comparison to the mosh pit that was Sat/Sun.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Man I can't imagine the anxiety I would have if I went to a board game convention these days.

Ellaybee
Jun 17, 2005

I can’t tell you how weird (and jealousy-inspiring) it is to read about people erring on the side of caution, when I’m surrounded by throngs of dipshits crawling all over themselves to get into Walmart or pack football stadiums, sans liberty-crushing masks of course.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Morpheus posted:

Man I can't imagine the anxiety I would have if I went to a board game convention these days.

Went to one over Labor Day. They required all participants to be vaccinated and masks were required in all public spaces. You could only eat or drink in areas meant for eating and drinking. All the board gamers had their masks on at all times. Friday night, the first night of the con, the owner said if he had issues, it'd be with the miniature players. And yes, a couple of times I saw miniature players without their mask on and asked them to put it on and they did.

Entering and leaving Europe seems to be problematic for Americans at this time, so all of my friends who usually go to Essen are not going.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Morpheus posted:

My brother lives in Indianapolis and it's been a big "yeah, nope" for him and his friends regarding GenCon.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Bruceski posted:

My brother lives in Indianapolis and it's been a big "yeah, nope" for him and his friends regarding GenCon.

Yeah, like I was considering it for like a second, then I thought about how I wouldn't be able to enjoy a single minute because my eyes would just be darting back and forth, I'd be thinking about that guy that just coughed, would be worrying if I was standing too close to someone, etc. Absolutely no fun would be had.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Yeah, like I was considering it for like a second, then I thought about how I wouldn't be able to enjoy a single minute because my eyes would just be darting back and forth, I'd be thinking about that guy that just coughed, would be worrying if I was standing too close to someone, etc. Absolutely no fun would be had.

It's a sardine-fest of Con Crud at the best of times. Not worth the risk. A bunch of his old college buddies in the area used to do big holiday get togethers. He was relieved when he decided to opt out and some other folks spoke up in agreement when he said so. Even the folks who are deciding to take more risks in his circles seem to be accepting that everyone else is making their own choices for their own reasons and that's helped everyone stay friendly.

Meanwhile in my own circles the sentiment's more "OMG PANIC" so nobody's even talking about how much risk we're willing to take for a barbecue or something.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bruceski posted:

It's a sardine-fest of Con Crud at the best of times. Not worth the risk.

I'm never going to a con without a mask again.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'm never going to a con without a mask again.

Agreed. But after wearing a mask + glasses + hearing aids on top of very small ears, it's clear something has to go and I'll be looking for over the head masks for the next con.

Public health here in CA at least if not throughout the US has gone away from eliminating Covid to keeping folks out of the hospital. The economic concerns are more important (ie strenuously avoiding full lockdowns) than making sure Covid is eliminated. So, masking and vaccination will be the standard, at least here in the US. I have done a good deal of research and have discussed this with both a public health authority friend and a pediatrician friend and they agree that the goal posts have moved. This means for people who want to go to cons, this is the new normal. I think it's important that we all make sure any meetups or cons require proof of vaccination and masking and when they don't we let them know that we find that unacceptable. Right now DTW is not requiring vaccinations but they reserve the right to change, and the con is six months from now, so who knows where we'll be. It's also important that they require and enforce masking at all times.

I know some folks will leave or have left the hobby because of Covid and some will never attend another con, and I can respect that. For me, board games are my only social outlet and cons have brought me great joy over the years, something I don't want to give up.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

If I had a CAPR I'd go. Nuts to butts all day is a no go.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Cons are fun, but they aren't 'risk dying' fun. For me, board games will be an activity to share with fully vaccinated personal friends only for the time being.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

djfooboo posted:

If I had a CAPR I'd go. Nuts to butts all day is a no go.

What's with the helmet? Air filtration device?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Magnetic North posted:

Cons are fun, but they aren't 'risk dying' fun. For me, board games will be an activity to share with fully vaccinated personal friends only for the time being.

In the US (unless you are immunocompromised) you won't die of Covid if you're vaccinated. Which is the entire point of vaccination to stop you from dying. Same with the milder flu vaccine. It does not stop all flu and it doesn't stop you from getting the flu. But you won't go to the hospital with the flu vaccine same with Covid as long as you are in generally good health.

It seems like this message isn't getting through to a lot of progressive Americans. There must be a thousand charts now showing that you won't die if you are generally healthy and get the vaccine.

Here's one article:

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/covid-coronavirus-vaccines-hospital-cases-rates-unvaccinated

Another

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/covid-19-by-the-numbers-vaccinated-continue-to-be-protected#New-data-on-waning-effectiveness

Likelihood of breakthrough infections (noting that 1 is still a positive number)

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/07/briefing/risk-breakthrough-infections-delta.html

I don't mind people not going, and I don't mind discussion but let's go with the science like the good progressives we are :)

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I dunno if there have been any studies on the long-term effects of Covid on the vaccinated (like, is loss of smell and taste still a thing that can happen, that kind of thing) and I'd rather not find out. Besides, the odds of getting sick during a pandemic, even mildly so, are pretty high and I'd rather just avoid that in general.

Next year, perhaps. SHUX was a lot of fun and I'd really like to get to visit Vancouver again - I'm glad I at least made the choice to go in 2019.

That said, also aching to get back to the local board game cafe. Opening new games and learning the rules with my friend(s) is something I enjoy almost as much as playing a game I already know I like.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Morpheus posted:

I dunno if there have been any studies on the long-term effects of Covid on the vaccinated (like, is loss of smell and taste still a thing that can happen, that kind of thing) and I'd rather not find out. Besides, the odds of getting sick during a pandemic, even mildly so, are pretty high and I'd rather just avoid that in general.

Next year, perhaps. SHUX was a lot of fun and I'd really like to get to visit Vancouver again - I'm glad I at least made the choice to go in 2019.

That said, also aching to get back to the local board game cafe. Opening new games and learning the rules with my friend(s) is something I enjoy almost as much as playing a game I already know I like.

Exactly. They are looking at what long Covid looks like in vaccinated people but there haven't been enough cases found yet. Absolutely don't go if you don't feel comfortable. I was pushing back specifically about dying from Covid as a generally healthy vaccinated person in the US. That's all.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Mayveena posted:

In the US (unless you are immunocompromised) you won't die of Covid if you're vaccinated. Which is the entire point of vaccination to stop you from dying. Same with the milder flu vaccine. It does not stop all flu and it doesn't stop you from getting the flu. But you won't go to the hospital with the flu vaccine same with Covid as long as you are in generally good health.

"less likely" not "won't." My friend's roommate died two weeks ago. He had other complicating issues that made the damage it did lethal, but being immunocompromised wasn't one of them.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
:shrug: I'm not criticizing anyone who chooses to go. At this point, it's everyone's individual choice, since most US leadership has completely abdicated any notion of shared responsibility. Obviously, anyone who attends is for the most part interacting with other people who also chose to attend and hopefully understood the risk and is following the rules set out by whomstever. No one is doing anyone else wrong by going.

For me, I only have one chance on this Earth, and I'm certainly not going to quantifiably jeopardize it through a non-essential and unrestricted choice such as an entertainment product, even if the risk is quite low. I will just find a safer way to entertain myself, or I will remain bored.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Bruceski posted:

"less likely" not "won't." My friend's roommate died two weeks ago. He had other complicating issues that made the damage it did lethal, but being immunocompromised wasn't one of them.

"generally healthy"

E: My issue is that I don't want it implied that I'd even think about anyone going if they could die. Absolutely not. I'm not going if I could die, I'm not going if I were normally to be around children, I'm not going if were normally around someone who wasn't vaccinated. It feels like I'm being shown as an uncaring/dumb person who would jeopardize her life. I won't do that. I have a 'child' who is 30 who still wants me around and I plan on being around for him.

Mayveena fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Sep 15, 2021

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Mayveena posted:

"generally healthy"

E: My issue is that I don't want it implied that I'd even think about anyone going if they could die. Absolutely not. I'm not going if I could die, I'm not going if I were normally to be around children, I'm not going if were normally around someone who wasn't vaccinated. It feels like I'm being shown as an uncaring/dumb person who would jeopardize her life. I won't do that. I have a 'child' who is 30 who still wants me around and I plan on being around for him.

Nah I understand your position. I think a lot of us are comfortable with the risks presented now that we're vaccinated. Obviously a lot of people aren't comfortable, and hell some people are comfortable with the risks unvaccinated.

You don't come across as being unreasonable.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Played a handful of games of Tussie Mussie, it's a pretty clever game!

The central mechanic is drawing two cards, then offering them both to your opponent as one face-up and one face-down. You get whichever one your opponent doesn't choose and it remains face-up or face-down until scoring. Each card is a flower with a score and (usually) some simple special rule that modifies scoring based on adjacency or other positioning.

Once each player has four cards (their 'arrangement' of flowers) you proceed to scoring.

The combination of offering two cards (one face up, one face down) to your opponent and getting whichever one is left, plus the (simple) modifiers, plus your face-up cards being public information is a nice combination, resulting in a simple and tight game with no wasted actions. I like it a lot.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

armorer posted:

Nah I understand your position. I think a lot of us are comfortable with the risks presented now that we're vaccinated. Obviously a lot of people aren't comfortable, and hell some people are comfortable with the risks unvaccinated.

You don't come across as being unreasonable.

I'd never say someone is unreasonable for following the bipartisan consensus that COVID-19 is over, if it was ever real at all. Personally, I think the idea that a nationwide outbreak and overcrowded ICUs are the new normal is unnecessarily fatalistic, but I'm the weird one. Just wear a good mask and don't eat inside the convention hall.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I went to PAX and everyone had masks on and you either had to show your card or a test. Seemed fine to me.

e: games all sucked though, nothing new or good or previewed

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Sep 16, 2021

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

PerniciousKnid posted:

I'd never say someone is unreasonable for following the bipartisan consensus that COVID-19 is over, if it was ever real at all. Personally, I think the idea that a nationwide outbreak and overcrowded ICUs are the new normal is unnecessarily fatalistic, but I'm the weird one. Just wear a good mask and don't eat inside the convention hall.
:yikes:

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

PerniciousKnid posted:

This is unnecessarily obnoxious. Don't put words in my mouth. I never claimed anything remotely close to that it's over or didnt exist at all. Obviously covid-19 is still here, and killing thousands of people a day. The NYT just put out a piece noting that more than 1 in 500 Americans had died from it.

I said that people are going to operate at a risk level that they're comfortable with. I ride a motorcycle, I climb mountains, I hunt. These are all dangerous things that I accept the risks of. There are separate risks involved with each of thise things, some of which I have the power to mitigate, and some of which I don't. I got vaccinated as soon as it was available and I wear a mask in all situations where I can't maintain safe distances. I've avoided large gatherings for the better part of 18 months now, but I don't fault a masked, vaccinated person at this point if they choose to go to a convention.

I have no plans to go to any conventions, for what it's worth, but I did resume playing board games with my board gaming friends once we were all vaccinated months ago.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

PerniciousKnid posted:

Okay, so. Having read your post history I don't think you're a covid-denier, I think this was just a bit of wonky phrasing that makes it sound extremely like you're a covid-denier. And that's why I'm not going to probate this post.

But as a general rule, in this subforum we believe that covid is real, covid is dangerous, and while different people have different tolerances for risk there absolutely is a risk to in-person gatherings.

Anyway, I've skimmed back over the thread and the discussion thus far seems fairly reasonable, so thanks for generating so few reports boardgame thread, keep doing whatever it was you were doing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

potatocubed posted:

thanks for generating so few reports boardgame thread

Monopoly is a good board game.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Infinitum posted:

Monopoly is a good board game.

I prefer candyland personally, it has more strategic depth.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
OK

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 16, 2021

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

:thejoke:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Imagined posted:

Monopoly really isn't bad if people play it with all the actual rules (e.g. auctioning spaces people land on but don't buy), buying things from the very first move, giving all your stuff to the player who bankrupted you instead of back to the bank, etc. I'm not sure why all the house rules families came up with over the years seem to involve intentionally making it interminable.

I guess what I'm saying is that it sucks, but it can suck for only 45 minutes instead of 3 hours.

All of the house rules are about adding "fun" - which, however nebulous in its use, often seems to indicate similar things in a broad array of contexts. Here, "fun" is often the absence of hopelessness - having a lottery for more money gives "hope" via randomness and mitigates the disappointment of player elimination. Returning properties to the bank re-initiates the "fun" property scramble phase of the game. Auctions remove the luck element of the dice distributing resources, involve direct conflict between players, sometimes driving up prices, and aren't "fun."

Now, this is what occurred to me and caused me to post: look how often really trashy crapass board games rely on the same notions of fun - hope for a come from behind victory via randomness, repeat resource scrambles, and surprises. And consider how often "fun" is just completely anathema to a good game.

you coward this was an opportunity for an interesting theory discussion :mad:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

CommonShore posted:

All of the house rules are about adding "fun" - which, however nebulous in its use, often seems to indicate similar things in a broad array of contexts. Here, "fun" is often the absence of hopelessness - having a lottery for more money gives "hope" via randomness and mitigates the disappointment of player elimination. Returning properties to the bank re-initiates the "fun" property scramble phase of the game. Auctions remove the luck element of the dice distributing resources, involve direct conflict between players, sometimes driving up prices, and aren't "fun."

Now, this is what occurred to me and caused me to post: look how often really trashy crapass board games rely on the same notions of fun - hope for a come from behind victory via randomness, repeat resource scrambles, and surprises. And consider how often "fun" is just completely anathema to a good game.

you coward this was an opportunity for an interesting theory discussion :mad:

No fun allowed in the board game thread.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

It's also a 'solved' game

Orange and Red are statically the 'best' properties. Nab them early.

Sorry mate, I wasn't trying to have a crack.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

At a work Secret Santa I ended up with a copy of Monopoly.

I no longer participate at work Secret Santas.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Sorry mate, I wasn't trying to have a crack.

No you were right. You were joking about Monopoly derails and I went and caused a Monopoly derail.

Pozzo
Nov 4, 2009

What is like posting in a thread?
A Ballista, that's what!

Infinitum posted:

Orange and Red are statically the 'best' properties. Nab them early.

What makes them so likely to be landed on? It's been so long since I scrutinised a monopoly board

Edit: See what you want to do is secure prison contracts and make money off operating the carceral state

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pozzo posted:

What makes them so likely to be landed on? It's been so long since I scrutinised a monopoly board

Edit: See what you want to do is secure prison contracts and make money off operating the carceral state

Combinations of 6/7/8 on dice rolls from Go and from Jail and then the "Go to jail" space and cards from the chance/community chest.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

In the cabin I'm staying at this week, there's Scrabble, Candy Land, Green Eggs & Ham, Family Feud 6th Edition, and a copy of Sorry where the top of the box is replaced with something with skulls on it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Pozzo posted:

It's a knock-on effect of having so many ways to get sent to jail, they're positioned so that average rolls from someone coming out of jail will frequently hit them. They also have a good chance to catch several other "go to" locations: St. James & Electric Company are both right next to jail and Illinois Avenue is a red card, Reading Railroad is a little further away but still has a decent chance to hit them a couple turns later. Meanwhile there are relatively few cards that go to the opposite side of the board (Boardwalk, Water Works & Go), and the Go Directly to Jail space filters out some traffic before it has a chance to get to that side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pozzo posted:

They're between 14 and 21 from GO, meaning you're likely to reach them in two or three rolls of 2d6. And the hottest spaces are also an even number of spaces from Jail, which you can only exit with a double.

The least likely spaces all come after Go To Jail, meaning you're least likely to use that side of the board. Because of this the few spaces after GO are also less likely to be landed on, as you have a lower chance of being on a space from which you could reach them.