Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Del Raminos
Feb 13, 2012

They accidentally included work they were doing for Country Bear Jamboree

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/m-a-d-d-o-g/media/portfolio/WCW%20Mayhem%202/KN_the_band_is_getting_NEW.mp4.html?sort=3&o=23

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D Lambent
Jul 28, 2014
What ever happened to like 75% of the flock? Van Hammer, Reese, Riggs, Sick Boy? They dead?

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
MRT said that Van Hammer trained the Briscoes, which I will never, ever get over.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Rodney the Piper posted:

MRT said that Van Hammer trained the Briscoes, which I will never, ever get over.

There's a video of Colt Cabana calling Mark or Jay and pretending like he's Van Hammer. I thought it was amusing at the time, because VAN HAMMER.

D Lambent
Jul 28, 2014

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013
I want to say that Sick Boy and Scotty Riggs are teaming up again in the indies.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

D Lambent posted:

What ever happened to like 75% of the flock? Van Hammer, Reese, Riggs, Sick Boy? They dead?

Riggs ended up in ECW as Scotty Anton, Sick Boy spent a few years in developmental as Scott Vick. Lodi ended up in WWA and briefly in TNA doing the gay gimmick and still does indies.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Still a better costume than JJ's mid-90's singlet

D Lambent
Jul 28, 2014

MassRafTer posted:

Riggs ended up in ECW as Scotty Anton, Sick Boy spent a few years in developmental as Scott Vick. Lodi ended up in WWA and briefly in TNA doing the gay gimmick and still does indies.

I used to love that the whole crew just walked down the ramp with no music and scratched their bodies to signify dope-like withdrawal. Or mites.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Tonight, Nitro! I seriously have no clue what is on these shows.

I imagine we'll get more build to Disco vs Jackie!

Will Sting be there?

DDP and Macho are about to go to war in Vegas, what'll happen next?

On top of that at Halloween Havoc we'll get Hogan vs Piper: AGE IN A CAGE so you just know Piper will say a bunch of stuff that makes no sense!

Tonight at 8 PM!

7:30 for Cowboy Who? and if these shows end at a reasonable hour we'll watch a TNA Weekly PPV from 2004 afterwards!

http://psp-tv.com/r/badmoviesworsewrestling

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
Bill Goldberg botched a jackhammer on his second televised match, what a jabron.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Bigass Moth posted:

Bill Goldberg botched a jackhammer on his second televised match, what a jabron.
Third match, according to Meltzer.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Third match, according to Meltzer.

Please don't cite that hack in this thread.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Didn't he have the scoops?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

MassRafTer posted:

Please don't cite that hack

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

D Lambent posted:

Think there was a photo of the whole gang from around Wrestlecon. Sick Boy looks pretty young still.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Tonight, Nitro! I seriously have no clue what is on these shows.

I imagine we'll get more build to Disco vs Jackie!

Will Sting be there?

DDP and Macho are about to go to war in Vegas, what'll happen next?

On top of that at Halloween Havoc we'll get Hogan vs Piper: AGE IN A CAGE so you just know Piper will say a bunch of stuff that makes no sense!

Tonight at 8 PM!

7:30 for Cowboy Who? and if these shows end at a reasonable hour we'll watch a TNA Weekly PPV from 2004 afterwards!

http://psp-tv.com/r/badmoviesworsewrestling

Summary of what happens on Nitro:

Pillman died.

JJ finally says gently caress it and heads up north.

Sting beat up some people.

Larry and Mike are racist.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I never realized there was a December 98 Observer available on the site, so I went looking through it and here's some WCW tidbits:

quote:

There is a huge deal that hasn't been finalized at press time but if it is, has potentially huge positive repercussions as it regards this company's position in the wrestling war.
Wonder what that turned out to be.

quote:

Eric Bischoff had another meeting with talent before Nitro on 12/14. He officially told talent that Kevin Nash and Diamond Dallas Page would be joining in the booking team with himself, Kevin Sullivan and Dusty Rhodes, and that Terry Taylor would be moving over to production. Bischoff heavily stressed all the wrestlers being easy to find at least two segments before they go on television for any fine-tuning of what they need to do, and the need for wrestlers to hit their time marks better since it's a live television shoot. He, without saying names, talked about people doing interviews or matches for longer than they are scheduled and how it messes with the timing of the show. He spoke about big changes coming in January with the company. He said that they are going to re-invent wrestling early next year, claiming they did so once and will do it again and told everyone he didn't want them attempting to compete on a vulgarity level with WWF. He claimed that he watched both shows on 12/7 and he believes WCW has a better television show but that WWF is gaining attention of teenagers because it's more vulgar (the point he's missing is that WWF is gaining the attention of teenagers to a huge degree for its shock value and swearing, but it is also the better television show most weeks, particularly from a storyline standpoint). He really emphasized not tolerating changing finishes, and he got to put his foot down on 12/14 when Stevie Ray complained about doing a job for Konnan. Ray went up the ladder to complain, and when it got to Bischoff, he totally put his foot down about it.
Didn't know DDP got booking power. Or did he?

quote:

Everyone is noticing just how rapidly Bill Goldberg is cooling off. A few months back his merchandise was huge, and now it's actually nicknamed "Coldberg." . . For whatever reason, WCW has either decided not to, or simply never decided to, promote the Hart movie on its television even though it sponsored at least one of its Grand Openings. The one mention on 12/7 by Gene Okerlund, in passing without saying when it airs or what it is, was something Okerlund decided to do on his own.
That's interesting. I thought it was Starrcade that killed him, and this was before that. Goldberg was cooling off before he got beat?

quote:

Giant is strongly leaning toward leaving again.

quote:

McMichael no-showed Nitro on 12/14.
MONGO

quote:

Sting is doing a TV movie called "Shutter Speed" as a pilot for a potential series.
SHUTTERSPEED

quote:

Vampiro's debut has been pushed back to SuperBrawl in San Francisco.
Why couldn't it have been pushed back indefinitely?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

Daniel Bryan posted:

That's interesting. I thought it was Starrcade that killed him, and this was before that. Goldberg was cooling off before he got beat?

They started cooling him off the moment he won the belt. He wasn't in the main event of Bash at the Beach (Hogan was), he wasn't in the main event of Road Wild (Hogan was), he DIDN'T EVEN APPEAR at Fall Brawl, his Halloween Havoc match got clipped off for time because Hogan/Warrior went long, and he DIDN'T EVEN APPEAR at World War 3.

They gave him the belt and then Hogan and company immediately shunted him back to the lower card. I don't think he got a single loving feud in six months outside of DDP. Dude fought loving Curt Hennig and a battle royal of losers while Hogan, Nash, and DDP filled up the main events. Really, it was quite a masterful political move. Hogan owns.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Daniel Bryan posted:

I loved Vampiro in WCW :colbert:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Considering how over Goldberg was even with this clownshoes booking of him after he won the belt, one can only imagine what he would have been like in a company that consistently used him well.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I remember being really hyped for the Sting/Vampiro feud, but then they kept doing this thing where they'd give Vampiro a microphone and he'd speak into it.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Tato posted:

, his Halloween Havoc match got clipped off for time because Hogan/Warrior went long,

That was not true. That was all on Bischoff not informing the PPV providers that the show was going to go long.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Didn't they replay the whole thing on Nitro the next night? At least, I have a vivid memory of that match's finish despite never having bought the PPV.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

1st AD posted:

Didn't they replay the whole thing on Nitro the next night? At least, I have a vivid memory of that match's finish despite never having bought the PPV.

Yes, and the segment got something stupid like a 7.0 rating

I think it also made the PPV providers annoyed that they were giving away the main event for free on TV thus cutting down on late orders.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

bobkatt013 posted:

That was not true. That was all on Bischoff not informing the PPV providers that the show was going to go long.

Well, not so much Bischoff as his helpers he told to inform the providers.

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

bobkatt013 posted:

My mistake.

It's really quite striking to look at the televised match history of Goldberg and see how far away from the top of the card he was: http://www.profightdb.com/wrestlers/bill-goldberg-365.html?year=1998

You'd figure the WCW World Champion would be wrestling the likes of Hulk Hogan, Kevin Nash, Sting, Bret Hart, etc, but instead he's wrestling the likes of Rick Fuller and Scott Putski on Nitro and Thunder. I think the biggest guys he got to beat were The Giant (who was on the way out), Scott Hall (who was barely around and starting his drunk angle), Sting, and DDP.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Daniel Bryan posted:

I never realized there was a December 98 Observer available on the site, so I went looking through it and here's some WCW tidbits:

Wonder what that turned out to be.

Didn't know DDP got booking power. Or did he?

MONGO

SHUTTERSPEED

The positive development was NBC wanted to do monthly WCW specials.

Goldberg was viewed to be cooling in early December but by the end of the month they did an incredible run of stadium shows with nearly 1 million in gate for each show and it was obvious he was still a huge huge deal.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

The positive development was NBC wanted to do monthly WCW specials.

Goldberg was viewed to be cooling in early December but by the end of the month they did an incredible run of stadium shows with nearly 1 million in gate for each show and it was obvious he was still a huge huge deal.

I remember hearing that Goldberg was influenced to sell less and do less by Hogan and Nash. Dave ever talk about that in WON?

OppositeAstronomer
May 26, 2008

yoink!
I remember "The Fallen Angel" Christopher Daniels coming in to late WCW and me as a middle school kid being real hype for him because the internet was blowing up about how good of a wrestler he was. Did he have anything in WCW that was worth tracking down to watch?

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Tato posted:

They started cooling him off the moment he won the belt. He wasn't in the main event of Bash at the Beach (Hogan was), he wasn't in the main event of Road Wild (Hogan was), he DIDN'T EVEN APPEAR at Fall Brawl, his Halloween Havoc match got clipped off for time because Hogan/Warrior went long, and he DIDN'T EVEN APPEAR at World War 3.

How did Goldberg not have matches booked on 2 of 3 PPVs? I know Hogan did that poo poo because Hogan, but why did they keep Goldberg off them. I know Jericho wanted to do a squash at Fall Brawl and Goldberg didn't get it. I mean, if Goldberg only wanted to work 3 weeks a month why let him take off the money shows? Is the answer WCW?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Wasn't he limited in talent/ability? Everyone loves his DDP match but DDP is also known for pre-planning his matches. Goldberg was really only a 3 or 4 spot guy, right?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

The American Dream posted:

How did Goldberg not have matches booked on 2 of 3 PPVs? I know Hogan did that poo poo because Hogan, but why did they keep Goldberg off them. I know Jericho wanted to do a squash at Fall Brawl and Goldberg didn't get it. I mean, if Goldberg only wanted to work 3 weeks a month why let him take off the money shows? Is the answer WCW?

I think he was filming Universal Soldier: The Return during one of those PPVs.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

natetimm posted:

Wasn't he limited in talent/ability? Everyone loves his DDP match but DDP is also known for pre-planning his matches. Goldberg was really only a 3 or 4 spot guy, right?

Goldberg was extremely athletic, fans adored him, and quite frankly he was one of the better workers to hold the WCW Title from Giant's 1996 run to the company's death.

But really, it doesn't matter. If you have a guy who is that popular and can put on a match fans love (Hint: All you need to have a match fans love is to have the guy they love beat the snot out of the guy they hate, especially in WCW where PPV main events went maybe 10 minutes), you put him in your loving main event.

Of all the stupid WCW facts out there, Goldberg having only one WCW Title reign is the most mind-boggling.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Great White Hope posted:

Goldberg was extremely athletic, fans adored him, and quite frankly he was one of the better workers to hold the WCW Title from Giant's 1996 run to the company's death.

But really, it doesn't matter. If you have a guy who is that popular and can put on a match fans love (Hint: All you need to have a match fans love is to have the guy they love beat the snot out of the guy they hate, especially in WCW where PPV main events went maybe 10 minutes), you put him in your loving main event.

Of all the stupid WCW facts out there, Goldberg having only one WCW Title reign is the most mind-boggling.

You can only hold the belt once when you never lose.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

You can only hold the belt once when you never lose.

Bret Hart. :colbert:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Great White Hope posted:

The moves he knew looked good, but he didn't exactly have a huge bag of tricks to pull from. He was very Kevin Nash when it came to what he could pull off to the point when he actually did a new move, the commentators would go apeshit over it.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

natetimm posted:

The moves he knew looked good, but he didn't exactly have a huge bag of tricks to pull from. He was very Kevin Nash when it came to what he could pull off to the point when he actually did a new move, the commentators would go apeshit over it.

His gimmick early on was he did all sorts of different moves.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Shawn Michaels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

MassRafTer posted:

His gimmick early on was he did all sorts of different moves.

I must not remember that because every one of his matches I remember was brawling, samoan drop, superkick, spear, jackhammer.

EDIT: Also work a powerslam variant in there somewhere.