Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

Father jailed for beating 3 kids after they wouldn't say who farted in his car

Brainwrong posted:

I realised last night that 4OD is now available on Xbox, which was a nice surprise. So I sat down and watched a couple of episodes of Phonsehop. I rather quite liked it, is that a shared opinion here?

I really like phoneshop, the second series is much better than the first i imagine goons looked at something with slang and dismissed it as poo poo when it comes up with some hilarious one-liners.

The first episode of season 2 has a great opening on the mindless waste of M&S bags for life and how brining sandwiches to work these days is loving shameful behaviour

It was one of those things goons didn't watch at all but had a very strong opinion of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Trin Tragula posted:

Or cars?
I don't think a medium with quite so many WW2 entries would benefit from the Top Gear treatment.

Also, everyone buys cars. Everyone buys houses. Programmes about them aren't comparable.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Or a program that is pretty much football match analysis?
come on, you can't be serious

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Or a program that is pretty much football match analysis?

You have to be taking the piss here right?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Hoops posted:

Also, everyone buys cars. Everyone buys houses. Programmes about them aren't comparable.

I buy food and I eat food, and I buy furniture and I sit on furniture, but I don't give a shite for watching programmes about them.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Trin Tragula posted:

I buy food and I eat food, and I buy furniture and I sit on furniture, but I don't give a shite for watching programmes about them.
Well there we are then, even less justification for a videogame show.

Ponce de Le0n
Jul 6, 2008

The only fun thing about videogames is that you can play them , i honestly couldn't think of anything more boring than than a bunch of people sitting around talking about them on TV.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

LE0N posted:

The only fun thing about videogames is that you can play them , i honestly couldn't think of anything more boring than than a bunch of people sitting around talking about them on TV.

Consolevania/Videgaiden was great. And before that Bits was pretty entertaining. There's no reason a show about games has to be boring like the lovely ones Americans make.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
The documentary bout Tetris was also great.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE
The Consolevania fluff piece about the Scottish video games industry was fantastic, as a documentary. Even better because they were commissioned to do it by the Scottish government and then it got disowned because it wasn't a totally positive, well, fluff piece.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

LE0N posted:

You have to be taking the piss here right?

I've always hated that kind of stuff though, so I might just be biased. But there is a documentary following people who investigate noise complaints on the iPlayer. With thirteen more episodes.

I think that is a much more smaller niche than football, cars or video games combined.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
Maybe not football match analysis but Horse racing. Seriously that poo poo is 3 hours of Channel 4 and does nothing but piss me off.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Put a bet on then it might be more interesting.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Leyburn posted:

Put a bet on then it might be more interesting.

Make sure you have two friends willing to impersonate American tourists to win it all back themselves after you lose everything and your legs are at risk mind you.

Bad Wolf
Apr 7, 2007
Without evil there could be no good, so it must be good to be evil sometime !
I just read there's gonna be a new Three men in a boat two parter show next week ! I always love those. I can't believe it's been almost six years since the original.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
New version of The Snowman to be aired on Channel 4

the gently caress is this poo poo? stop ruining everything, world

ChuckDHead
Dec 18, 2006

LE0N posted:

It's a media form, there's no reason people can't put a bit of effort into coming up with some interesting criticism or debate based on it. I'd watch the game equivalent of Film 2011. Gameswipe was a step in the right direction, but just not really sure enough of itself (probably because the BBC weren't sure of it).

That said, gamers are largely afraid of interesting criticism or debate, so I'm not sure many other people would watch it.

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Paperhouse posted:

New version of The Snowman to be aired on Channel 4

the gently caress is this poo poo? stop ruining everything, world

Snow Dog

Ski Resort

Changing the Music

Well, see you in the afterlife.

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

guardian posted:

original production team
Doesn't sound so bad! v:3:v

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Who will be this generation's Aled Jones or will they go against vocals in favour of thrumming dubstep?

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

Mr. Squishy posted:

Who will be this generation's Aled Jones or will they go against vocals in favour of thrumming dubstep?

Dizzee Rascal.

E: Today I will watch the original Snowman, as well as Blackadder's Christmas Carol and National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation, to see if I can eke out a bit of the old festive spirit from this world weary cynical carcass of mine.

Gram-O-Phone fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Dec 24, 2011

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Did Tony Robinson in that stomach churningly tight space slave uniform help at all?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

If Prince Phillip dies today or tomorrow Christmas TV is going to be ruined.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It would be amazing in its own way. Do you think they'd show the Queen's speech?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Trin Tragula posted:

Or cars?

Or antiques.

Mind you, there seems to be quite a lot of competitive antiques-shows nowadays, so what about a competitive videogame show? Perhaps we could get some loveable curmudgeon to be the ajudicator, a "Games Master", if you will.:v:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Kerbtree posted:

Or antiques.

Mind you, there seems to be quite a lot of competitive antiques-shows nowadays, so what about a competitive videogame show? Perhaps we could get some loveable curmudgeon to be the ajudicator, a "Games Master", if you will.:v:

Seriously, Patrick Moore has to come back as the Games Master so we can gape in awe at whatever awful TV CGI his face is pasted onto.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Just watching this Merlin show for the first time and I don't understand why it's so popular. I think I've just seen two major character deaths and the whole thing was just hammy and wooden.

I'm left thinking back to how Misfits ended and how gutwrenching it was, even from just the way the scene was shot. Granted one is a post and the other a pre-watershed show, but both seem to have an extremely limited budget and I refuse to believe that more swearing and violence is what made the character/storyline deaths in Misfits more compelling.

I mean in both shows, it was a sudden death, but in Misfits there was a some genuine reactions from everyone else and the rest of the episode dealt with the fallout. In Merlin, she elongates her death with some pishy "oh woe is us our dreams are now ended erghhhhhhhhhhh" and nothing. It's not even addressed in the post "we won everything" ending.

I guess my point is that I wish the BBC would start churning out more stuff with the quality of Misfits instead of their flagship shows like Merlin and Who which have the quality and punchiness of a pair of socks.

Rejected Fate
Aug 5, 2011

Kin posted:

Just watching this Merlin show for the first time and I don't understand why it's so popular. I think I've just seen two major character deaths and the whole thing was just hammy and wooden.

I'm left thinking back to how Misfits ended and how gutwrenching it was, even from just the way the scene was shot. Granted one is a post and the other a pre-watershed show, but both seem to have an extremely limited budget and I refuse to believe that more swearing and violence is what made the character/storyline deaths in Misfits more compelling.

I mean in both shows, it was a sudden death, but in Misfits there was a some genuine reactions from everyone else and the rest of the episode dealt with the fallout. In Merlin, she elongates her death with some pishy "oh woe is us our dreams are now ended erghhhhhhhhhhh" and nothing. It's not even addressed in the post "we won everything" ending.

I guess my point is that I wish the BBC would start churning out more stuff with the quality of Misfits instead of their flagship shows like Merlin and Who which have the quality and punchiness of a pair of socks.

I watch Merlin, and I find it alright. I enjoy Misfits more, though. I'd probably put Who above both but I accept my opinion is blinded by years of fanboyism.

I only caught some of it today but if you're talking about the blonde bandit woman, she's not a main character. She's been around for about an episode's worth of screentime. But yeah it was wooden as gently caress, the whole couple has been. Still, credit due where it's due they've actually had a plot that moved this season. Some poo poo actually happened. The other guy... yeah. He's sort of a main character, but he's only really been so for about one season. I actually liked him but it wasn't the best death.

I can't say I've ever found Misfits saddening, though. I mean I can tell when it tries to be sad but it's never really worked for me, I mainly watch it for the laughs. It's good fun and I think it's best when it doesn't take itself seriously which is thankfully the majority of the time.

boner meter
Apr 27, 2006
I AM A SMUG ASSHOLE WHO BELIEVES IN RACIST PROPAGANDA. I DESERVE ONLY RIDICULE.
Argh the dementia subplot in the Outnumbered christmas special just hit me like a sledgehammer :(

E: oh christ, Combo from This is England is playing a happy family man on BBC1 right now. I'm expecting him to kick off and pull a knife on the kids or something at any second.

boner meter fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 24, 2011

Gram-O-Phone
Mar 9, 2007

Oh, play that thing!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Did Tony Robinson in that stomach churningly tight space slave uniform help at all?

You mean Baldrick's posing pouch?

My only question is who had to wear it second?

This bit always does the trick:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lkBhSULG8s

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Decided to watch HIGNFY before I went to bed, and Christ the editing in the first section pretty poo poo.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seriously, Patrick Moore has to come back as the Games Master so we can gape in awe at whatever awful TV CGI his face is pasted onto.

He's a bit old and Tory to be doing stuff like that, if it isn't to do with planets he just has no idea nowadays.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Taear posted:

He's a bit old and Tory to be doing stuff like that, if it isn't to do with planets he just has no idea nowadays.

Nooo, don't call him a Tory I will never believe :smith:.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

SeanBeansShako posted:

We are being swamped by parasites. Call me a racist but I would send them all back to where they came from. Everything we do for them takes away from what we can do for ourselves.

- Patrick Moore

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

keep punching joe posted:

We are being swamped by parasites. Call me a racist but I would send them all back to where they came from. Everything we do for them takes away from what we can do for ourselves.

- Patrick Moore

Worst christmas present ever.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

Bad Wolf posted:

I just read there's gonna be a new Three men in a boat two parter show next week ! I always love those. I can't believe it's been almost six years since the original.

Details please! I can't find anything about it.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

SeanBeansShako posted:

He's old, of course he's a Tory. Everyone gets given their conservative party membership card along with their bus-pass.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

That old coot is too crazy even for the Tory party. He's a member of UKIP and has been staunchly xenophobic and sexist for years and years.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo

thehustler posted:

Details please! I can't find anything about it.

Found it. 27/28th. New England fishing trip etc. Sounds good! Going to Cape Cod.

The Corporate
Jul 7, 2009

Taear posted:

Wasn't it UKIP? Serious.

e;fb by, er, about 8 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Porphyrogenitos
Jun 3, 2011
Blackadder the Third on BBC 2, yay