Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Power nap disabled?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuckyTaikonaut
Oct 14, 2005
A small step for me, a huge leap for chinkdom

crazysim posted:

Power nap disabled?

It's disabled for when on battery but active when connected to the power adapter. I will disable it completely and make another test tonight.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
Does anyone have a simple Service for transforming formatted text to plain text?

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Does anyone have a simple Service for transforming formatted text to plain text?

If you're comfortable with the terminal, you can set up this alias in your .bash_profile:

code:
alias clean='pbpaste | pbcopy'
Then just type "clean" into the terminal whenever you have copied text with formatting you want removed. When you paste, it'll paste as plain text.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Lexicon posted:

If you're comfortable with the terminal, you can set up this alias in your .bash_profile:

code:
alias clean='pbpaste | pbcopy'
Then just type "clean" into the terminal whenever you have copied text with formatting you want removed. When you paste, it'll paste as plain text.

I am comfortable with the Terminal. However in this case I'm hoping for a Service. Thanks for the help, though :-)

Tenterhooks
Jul 27, 2003

Bang Bang

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I use TextExpander to do this. Because it works with plain text, all you need to do is set up a 'clipboard' snippet then assign it a shortcut and you're set. So, in my case I'd copy the formatted text, type ';plain' (my shortcut) and bloop, in goes the plain text version. Works in under a second anywhere you can type.

EDIT: Ah, sorry. I didn't exactly understand what 'service' meant until I looked it up. My method still works and someone might find it useful though.

Tenterhooks fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 21, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

WHOIS John Galt posted:

I am comfortable with the Terminal. However in this case I'm hoping for a Service. Thanks for the help, though :-)

Automator will do what you want:

Start automator -> Create a Service

In the right pane, change "service receives selected" from "text" to "no input" (this step may not be necessary, I just prefer to be thorough)

In the left pane, under "Utilities" select "Run Shell Script" and drag that into your blank workflow

replace "cat" with "pbpaste | pbcopy"

Save your service as "Clean Buffer" or whatever and voila!

There may be a better way of doing this, but I just tested the above with some TextEdit formatted copies and it seems to work perfectly.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 21, 2012

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Does anyone know how to stop Safari from blurring images which it scales up? I look at a lot of pixel art, which often has options to scale up like the plus and minus buttons here: http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/73598.htm?sec=date

Unfortunately safari seems to blur the images after scaling them, and if I could stop that it would be great.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Can someone tell me how to move my iTunes library from one hard drive to another and preserve my playcount and meta data? I've been trying different how-tos on the internet and none of them work.

I'm using iTunes to manage my music files. Right now my library is pointed at an iTunes folder on one hard drive, but I want to remove that hard drive, so I want it to be on another drive.

Originally I copied the iTunes folder to the new hard drive, then in iTunes preferences changed the library to point to the new location, shut down iTunes, unmounted the old drive and restarted it. Couldn't find anything.

Then I tried "Consolidate Library" and that didn't work either. It either tells me it's copied everything over and nothing works, or it just tells me it can't find the files at all and gives up.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Martytoof posted:

Automator will do what you want:

Start automator -> Create a Service

In the right pane, change "service receives selected" from "text" to "no input" (this step may not be necessary, I just prefer to be thorough)

In the left pane, under "Utilities" select "Run Shell Script" and drag that into your blank workflow

replace "cat" with "pbpaste | pbcopy"

Save your service as "Clean Buffer" or whatever and voila!

There may be a better way of doing this, but I just tested the above with some TextEdit formatted copies and it seems to work perfectly.

Brilliant! Thank you.

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
I've got a few hundred wallpaper pictures that I have set to shuffle on my MBP.

I've recently switched from Windows 7, which had a feature where I could right-click the desktop and skip to the next wallpaper.

Is there any way to do that in Mountain Lion? I have them set to change every 5 minutes, but sometimes I want to skip to a different wallpaper, like if I'm showing off the screen to someone.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

WHOIS John Galt posted:

Already answered, but another way would be to cut/copy the text then paste without formatting (or whatever it's called), it's something like command-control-shift-V.

Caddrel posted:

Does anyone know how to stop Safari from blurring images which it scales up? I look at a lot of pixel art, which often has options to scale up like the plus and minus buttons here: http://www.pixeljoint.com/pixelart/73598.htm?sec=date

Unfortunately safari seems to blur the images after scaling them, and if I could stop that it would be great.
No clue, but for zooming in on pixel art I just do the screen zoom without smoothing.

CombatMedic posted:

I've recently switched from Windows 7, which had a feature where I could right-click the desktop and skip to the next wallpaper.

Is there any way to do that in Mountain Lion? I have them set to change every 5 minutes, but sometimes I want to skip to a different wallpaper, like if I'm showing off the screen to someone.
There's probably a way to do it with a script of some sort.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

CombatMedic posted:

There's a paid app called wallpaper wizard which will allow you to do this.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

bassguitarhero posted:

Originally I copied the iTunes folder to the new hard drive, then in iTunes preferences changed the library to point to the new location, shut down iTunes, unmounted the old drive and restarted it. Couldn't find anything.

Copying the folder should work fine; I've done it dozens of times. But I'm not entirely sure you got the process right. What do you mean by "in iTunes preferences changed the library to point to the new location"? What specifically do you mean by "couldn't find anything"?

Here is the process:
0) If iTunes isn't already managing all your files for you, consolidate your library (to its current location) so that it is. Generally you don't have to do this.
1) Quit iTunes and copy the iTunes library folder to wherever the gently caress you want.
2) Launch iTunes while holding the option key. This will give you the opportunity to tell iTunes where the library folder has moved to.
3) There is no step 3.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Couldn't you make a script that kill the dock? I think that if you do kill that process, it refreshes the desktop as well. Might be able to assign it a hotkey, or at least keep it in a script menu bar if they let you do that in the Finder.

Pelikan
Sep 24, 2003
I've searched around but couldn't find a straightforward answer to this basic question. I have a WD external hard drive with several partitions I set up in Windows 7. When I open time machine and choose this drive in the storage options, it asks whether I'd like to erase and reformat "name of partition". Just to be positive, this will only erase and reformat *that* partition, right? I don't want to inadvertently erase the data on the rest of the drive and the time machine message is somewhat vague IIRC.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Any way to search through a NTFS external drive?
I loved Everything in Windows, is there anything like that?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Pelikan posted:

I've searched around but couldn't find a straightforward answer to this basic question. I have a WD external hard drive with several partitions I set up in Windows 7. When I open time machine and choose this drive in the storage options, it asks whether I'd like to erase and reformat "name of partition". Just to be positive, this will only erase and reformat *that* partition, right? I don't want to inadvertently erase the data on the rest of the drive and the time machine message is somewhat vague IIRC.

Most likely. But why not just do it yourself in Disk Utility to be sure?

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

japtor posted:

No clue, but for zooming in on pixel art I just do the screen zoom without smoothing.

Thanks, that will help for now!

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
Searched the last few pages and didn't see this there.

Is it possible/advisable to install a fresh install of Mountain Lion while keeping a current Boot Camp install? Also, will Mountain Lion still be able to install it's special partition on the drive doing it that way?

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

LuckyTaikonaut posted:

After having my LG display exchanged for a Samsung one, my rMBP is draining about 30% of battery during any given night while sleeping. I had this issue prior to the display exchange, but could fix it with a simple restart. I have reset the SMC twice to no avail. Battery health seems fine otherwise, so I don't think that it is a hardware issue.

Anything I can try before heading back to the fruit stand?

Also confirm that your hibernate setting is set to the standard.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/61724/retina-macbook-pro-takes-a-long-time-to-wake-from-sleep

As discussed in either this thread or the Hardware thread standard has your computer shutting everything down at 70 minutes, this might have been modified prior to you getting it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm not entirely sure which details are relevant so please forgive me if anything important has been omitted.

I'm using 10.7.4, with mail.app 5.2. I've got it set up to use my company's exchange server (which I can use fine in Outlook 2011), having autodetected the settings. My problem is that mail.app will only fetch new messages when I start it for the first time after completely quitting it. I set it to fetch them every minute but it doesn't, and it doesn't do it when I click the button to fetch new messages either. I never get any error messages that I can see - not even in console.

Anyone come across this before?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

gmq posted:

Any way to search through a NTFS external drive?
I loved Everything in Windows, is there anything like that?

http://apps.tempel.org/FindAnyFile/

It never fails me and it should work for you.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren: Thread temporarily closed for a special Apple event! :siren:

Apple's holding a special event to debut the iPad Mini, a new iTunes, and some other cool stuff. Click the image or right here to head over to the event thread so you can discuss and follow along.

We'll return as soon as the event's over. Thank you!

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

Still no loving iTunes.

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice
I have a java webstart app that doesn't work with java 1.7. Since apple removed that component and forced everyone to use Oracle's java for java webstart apps, I am unable to run my app. Does anyone have a dmg for Java 2012-005 or earlier for Lion? Apple has removed all traces of older Java versions for understandable reasons. Unfortunately, I'm currently hosed until I can get an updated javaws app that works with 1.7

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

spoon daddy posted:

I have a java webstart app that doesn't work with java 1.7. Since apple removed that component and forced everyone to use Oracle's java for java webstart apps, I am unable to run my app. Does anyone have a dmg for Java 2012-005 or earlier for Lion? Apple has removed all traces of older Java versions for understandable reasons. Unfortunately, I'm currently hosed until I can get an updated javaws app that works with 1.7
The old versions might be available on the developer site, but I'd honestly recommend setting up a VM if you're going to be running applets in a browser. Java exploits are the new Flash exploits.

Oxford Comma
Jun 26, 2011
Oxford Comma: Hey guys I want a cool big dog to show off! I want it to be ~special~ like Thor but more couch potato-like because I got babbies in the house!
Everybody: GET A LAB.
Oxford Comma: OK! (gets a a pit/catahoula mix)

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

As far as I know, there's no way to change what Safari calls "safe" so plenty of files that you'd like opened after download just do nothing.

Yes, this.

Is there a way to change this so uTorrent automatically opens up my torrents?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Oxford Comma posted:

Yes, this.

Is there a way to change this so uTorrent automatically opens up my torrents?

Make uTorrent monitor your downloads folder. Prefs>Directories>Automatically load torrents from directory.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

I need a little help here. I am trying to make a Bootable disk for Mountain Lion. I have the DMG file in Disk utility and a 4.7 DVD disk in but when I try to burn it it tells me the disk is not big enough. Did I miss a step or do I need bigger CDs?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Are you using the InstallESD.dmg located inside the Mountain Lion installer itself?

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Binary Badger posted:

Are you using the InstallESD.dmg located inside the Mountain Lion installer itself?

I was orignally but I did copy it to the desktop. I am getting the same result. The disk does not have enough free space

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

BigRed0427 posted:

I am trying to make a Bootable disk for Mountain Lion. I have the DMG file in Disk utility and a 4.7 DVD disk

I found I needed to use a dual layer DVD to burn my InstallESD.smg

spoon daddy
Aug 11, 2004
Who's your daddy?
College Slice

Lazyhound posted:

The old versions might be available on the developer site, but I'd honestly recommend setting up a VM if you're going to be running applets in a browser. Java exploits are the new Flash exploits.

Agreed but which is why I actually don't use java in the browser outside of the company. Right now I use java at work for

* ILO and other remote admin tools

* java webstart apps for various appliances/internal software

For now, I found javaws from 2012-005 and installed that in place of the javaws that I currently have and can start my javaws apps just fine.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

BigRed0427 posted:

I need a little help here. I am trying to make a Bootable disk for Mountain Lion. I have the DMG file in Disk utility and a 4.7 DVD disk in but when I try to burn it it tells me the disk is not big enough. Did I miss a step or do I need bigger CDs?

http://www.hightechdad.com/2012/07/25/how-to-create-a-bootable-mountain-lion-os-x-10-8-installation-dvd-or-usb-drive/

Try this, skipping to step 4a if you've already extracted your InstallESD.dmg file.

Though honestly... this might be a better choice.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Probably a dumb question, but I have a Mac Mini server running Lion server. If I want to upgrade to ML server, do I need to buy the ML app and the Server app from the store?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Joe Don Baker posted:

Probably a dumb question, but I have a Mac Mini server running Lion server. If I want to upgrade to ML server, do I need to buy the ML app and the Server app from the store?

It should show in the App store under upgrades - my Snow Leopard Mini has had it listed there for weeks.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
Since upgrading to ML, my bluetooth keyboard's battery levels have been reported at a constant 100%, even though I regularly get prompts that they're running low or even disconnects. Still, MacOS says they're at full charge. Is there any way to fix this inaccurate battery level indication?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Jolan posted:

Since upgrading to ML, my bluetooth keyboard's battery levels have been reported at a constant 100%, even though I regularly get prompts that they're running low or even disconnects. Still, MacOS says they're at full charge. Is there any way to fix this inaccurate battery level indication?

Mine did that with Lion - ML actually fixed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
I have trouble connecting to the eduroam network at work. My Mac tells my that I'm connected and the wifi icon shows connection, but I still have no Internet connection in my browser (or in Terminal). The IT crowd tell me that I just have to connect and enter my u/p, no need for a certificate etc. But still no connection. What gives? Btw, I have ML.