Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Small White Dragon posted:

I've found AA often won't update a flight time until the inbound departs. (May not apply at hubs, where there's presumably spare aircraft around.)
United for sure does this too. I was supposed to be on a BNA-IAD flight that showed to be on time, but the inbound IAD-BNA flight was over an hour late and hadn't even departed yet. My flight wasn't marked as delayed until about 15 minutes after it finally left IAD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Anyone have any recommendations on the current AA Business class meal offerings to Asia?

Braised short rib, Asian shrimp, Cauliflower steak, or Beef wellington?

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice
I had the cauliflower steak once and really loved it, but I'm a weirdo who likes vegetables, so my recommendation probably isn't worth much.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Ugh I am stuck at JFK until 8:30pm and since I had to fly Delta today I can’t even get into a lounge to spend the day working (and drinking). Doesn’t appear to be any way to get from Terminal 4 to Terminal 8 so I can kill the time in the Admirals Club. :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

FunOne posted:

Anyone have any recommendations on the current AA Business class meal offerings to Asia?

I’d probably eat beforehand and get the Asian shrimp because it would be small.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

FunOne posted:

The braised short rib is pretty good.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

drgitlin posted:

Ugh I am stuck at JFK until 8:30pm and since I had to fly Delta today I can’t even get into a lounge to spend the day working (and drinking). Doesn’t appear to be any way to get from Terminal 4 to Terminal 8 so I can kill the time in the Admirals Club. :(

Will they not accept money to go into the lounge?

asur
Dec 28, 2012

drgitlin posted:

Do you not have an Amex Plat? If you fly on Delta metal it's basically free Skyclub access.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Supposed to fly DEN-EWR on Sunday 11pm-5am so...like with the hurricane what do you guys think of that

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Probably not good because there were similar delays this week after Tropical Storm Gordon stalled out over Arkansas. Flights from Texas to Illinois were canceled and the middle part of the country was storms. They’re predicting this storm will stall out in western Virginia.

New York may miss the worst of it though.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

FunOne posted:

Will they not accept money to go into the lounge?

I could buy a day pass but at this point $50
for four hours seems a lot.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

drgitlin posted:

I could buy a day pass but at this point $50
for four hours seems a lot.

I can definitely eat (and very easily drink) $12.50 worth of food and booze an hour for that long if I'm bored sitting around an airport.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Motronic posted:

I can definitely eat (and very easily drink) $12.50 worth of food and booze an hour for that long if I'm bored sitting around an airport.

do you want to, though

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do you want to, though

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

do you want to, though

No, but I will anyway because I hate traveling.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
one sure way to like traveling more is to put on a bunch of weight

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

FunOne posted:

I'd eat my real meal at the LAX Qantas lounge (or AA Flagship buffet) and then treat the in-flight meal as a snack.

drgitlin posted:

Isn't there a Priority Pass lounge in Terminal 4?

Priority pass has been adding quite a few restaurants as well

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Sep 10, 2018

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

Mandalay posted:

I'd eat my real meal at the LAX Qantas lounge (or AA Flagship buffet) and then treat the in-flight meal as a snack.

But my flight from DFW doesn't land in LAX....

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

FunOne posted:

But my flight from DFW doesn't land in LAX....

Oh, I forgot Oneworld had flights to Asia from DFW.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mandalay posted:

Oh, I forgot Oneworld had flights to Asia from DFW.

Yeah mab. DFW - HKG is American's longest route. And DFW - SYD was the longest flight in the world until 2016.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Mandalay posted:

Priority pass has been adding quite a few restaurants as well
I’ve seen the banner but how does his actually work?

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

taco show posted:

I’ve seen the banner but how does his actually work?

In my experience, you get some credit to the final bill. If you're under the credit, you walk out paying nothing.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
If eating is your goal, it’s pretty nice and nicer than most lounges. If working is your goal, it’s not the best.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

psydude posted:

And DFW - SYD was the longest flight in the world until 2016.

I don't care if it's no longer the longest. Did that flight earlier this summer and it's STILL TOO drat LONG. Even knowing Pappasito's was waiting for me in DFW.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

JFK Terminal 4 has a PP lounge near security. You cross the bridge after TSA and make a right instead of going down the escalators. It's... alright, I guess. You can get to other terminals via the AirTrain; you just have to go through security again.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

JohnCompany posted:

I don't care if it's no longer the longest. Did that flight earlier this summer and it's STILL TOO drat LONG. Even knowing Pappasito's was waiting for me in DFW.

I've done HKG to DFW then spent 3 additional bonus hours in Austin due to DFW area storms. That is the start of my "why you need global entry" because I was able to walk around a huge line to get out of customs and save myself ANOTHER few hours of nonsense.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
Welp, it looks like the hurricane is going to be stranding me in Toronto for a bit.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

JohnCompany posted:

I'm doing it in premium economy in a few weeks. Was supposed to be business, but I couldn't get the partner I working with to cover enough of the cost.

e: Did DFW - HKG and back in business a month and a half ago and it wasn't too bad. The Cathay first class lounge helped. Too bad Dallas' lounge situation sucks, which is kind of surprising given it's American's biggest hub. I just got an Amex Platinum, though, so I guess that problem is solved from now on.

psydude fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Sep 12, 2018

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
I don’t want to go to Detroit via Dallas today. AA please cancel my flight. TIA

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe

psydude posted:

I'm doing it in premium economy in a few weeks. Was supposed to be business, but I couldn't get the partner I working with to cover enough of the cost.

e: Did DFW - HKG and back in business a month and a half ago and it wasn't too bad. The Cathay first class lounge helped. Too bad Dallas' lounge situation sucks, which is kind of surprising given it's American's biggest hub. I just got an Amex Platinum, though, so I guess that problem is solved from now on.

I've done DFW HKG a few times, Economy Comfort is meh, I'm excited about the premium offering, and my upgrade cleared for business, so that should be nice on that leg.

Dallas' lounge situation sucks with the Terminal D stuff all closed up, the Plat lounge also sucks so I can't say that it is an improvement. The food and drinks are good, but it isn't near where I need to be and I've never seen it not super crowded.

Of course, with a hurricane on the east coast and a typhoon near Hong Kong I might not be going anywhere at all.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

American premium Econ is great. The only problem is the cost to upgrade is the same as if you book a Q class fare.

I take it for the guarantee and EQM bonus but still.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

This is Qantas premium economy. I've heard good things.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
So due the hurricane I am not going home this week. Instead I am going from Toronto to Vancouver. Teach a class next week then go home. To RDU via DFW. I think that qualifies as doing North America the long way.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Looks like I'll have a down day in Hong Kong next week, any recommendations?

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

FunOne posted:

Mak's Noodle
Coffee Academics
the funicular

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm in Panama City. Where should I stuff my face? Staying at the Sorts and I have a rental.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

FunOne posted:

http://danielfooddiary.com/2018/03/22/cheunghingkee/

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

FunOne posted:

I’m back Tuesday night. Goon meet?

porkface posted:

Mak's Noodle - pretty good
Coffee Academics - aiya, no way
the funicular - go in the mornings, avoid the weekend and the line up or take it on the way down

Hong Kong is a small city to get around. Food and public transit is a major plus. Shopping not so much anymore since amazon prime is better.

Food - depends on your budget. It’s like NYC where you can get food across the world but it will cost you. Bars will cost around the same as well.

Cantonese and local food offers more value of course. There’s dim sum lunch, southern style bbq like char siu, and roast goose. And your Cantonese dinner banquet food like steamed fish and seafood. And of course no frills Hong Kong diner during weird hours

but if you are new to east Asia or don’t come often I would try (mostly upper end in price except thai)

Sushi: tokami
North Indian : Bombay dreams
South west Chinese, numbingly spice : Chili Fargara
Ramen : ichigen, after 12am when everything is closed, ichiran
Northern Thai/Issan: Racha moo yang
Central Thai : eriwan premium
Numbingly spicy hotpot with fun service and free mannicure : hai di lao

Local food

Dim sum : fook lam moon
Roast pork, roast goose : fook lam moon
Congee : seng kee
Wonton noodles : Mak’s, or whatever really old school place you see, shouldn’t be too bad
Beef brisket: sister wah
Vermicelli : I dunno
Chaozhou : lok hau fook in Kowloon city
rear end in a top hat service but nice and cheap : Australian dairy company, also try the mak’s next door for double food
Local diner #2 : kam fung bakery, it’s next to my house

AFTERNOON TEA: peninsula

Honorable mentions, goon food

Kam’s roast goose, a little touristy and pricey but cheaper than fook lam moon and decent goose.

Motorino pizza - same as the one in Brooklyn, good dough and meat balls.

Lebanese : Beirut, open all night long, good dough

Burgers : butcher’s club, or Morton’s bar menu

Bakery : bake house, good croissants, flour milled from France and croissants are fluffy

Reuben : morty’s

Salad: tallore

Free flow champagne Sunday brunch , until 3pm : Conrad

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000

Fun Shoe
Isn't there a food plaza off of a MTR stop with great food? I thought I read that here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I'm spending 8 hours in ATL tomorrow. Where should I spend it? I'll have access to the Delta lounges in addition to priority pass.

I'm willing to leave the airport, but only if it's something amazing because :effort: