Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
I wish to state this on the record:

I'm still bitter about Double Arts.

Carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

girl dick energy posted:

Considering that Kubo working at the grueling mangaka schedule is what got us the ever-worsening Bleach, I can't say I blame him. Some writers handle time pressure better than others.

Well, one of the things that got us ever-worsening Bleach. Bleach had some Franchise Original Sin problems as well.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Ironically, if Bleach had been one of those series forced into an early cancellation, I think people would have better memories of it. Soul Society's arc is still a really good stretch of shonen stuff.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i only like it when bleach is in the real world

though blood war was enough of a huge/stupid power grab bag that it was pretty fun

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Well, one of the things that got us ever-worsening Bleach. Bleach had some Franchise Original Sin problems as well.

disagree, the big problems with bleach as a franchise can pretty much unanimously be traced back to the soul society arc. the first segment of the story when it was still about monster of the week hollows holds up pretty well imo

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

disagree, the big problems with bleach as a franchise can pretty much unanimously be traced back to the soul society arc. the first segment of the story when it was still about monster of the week hollows holds up pretty well imo

That's what I meant. I'm saying a lot of the problems were the result of decisions Kubo made back in Soul Society.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Bleach also was pretty much cancelled as a measure to save Kubo Tire's life

It's sales fell off but weren't terrible for a normal Jump Series. It probably would have been allowed to finish as Tite wanted but dude literally was killing himself drawing that stupid series.

Like nowadays he would have probably just been allowed to go every other week or something

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I see it's time for our bi monthly "where Bleach went wrong" tangents. Fortunately it's almost Sunday.

dogsicle posted:

i only like it when bleach is in the real world

though blood war was enough of a huge/stupid power grab bag that it was pretty fun

I'll never forget Owl Trumpet Centaur Angel.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I thought most people agreed Hueco Mundo really showed the problems

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Soul society was fun It's just that after it you saw that it was literally the only arc structure he followed.

Outside of maybe like the fullbring arc, which started off interesting enough but just didn't have a good ending.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Though comparatively speaking which Bleach ending would you say is better, the anime (which ended prematurely if I recall correctly) or the manga?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

You can see the cracks of Bleach in Soul Society, but it's the first huge arc and there's a lot of good so it's easy to gloss over.

Hueco Mundo and the following arcs exacerbated the problems to the point where it's just Soul Society fighting conceptually cool villains that don't have much backstory pulling out powers that they haven't talked about until this point that just happens to be what they need to win.

And Ichigo is there too I guess...

The back half of the Thousand Year Blood War is real dire even if it might not all be on Kubo.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bleach ballooned its cast too much but Kubo has a cool sense of design so he mostly got away wiith it.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I mostly kept reading bleach for new outfits and art of the characters in streetwear/suits.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Sextro posted:

I mostly kept reading bleach for new outfits and art of the characters in streetwear/suits.
Kubo could just do a coffee table book of this and I think it'd sell

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Darth TNT posted:

No one talked it up when it was running because it wasn't great, but it had it's moments and charm. It was very standard shounen with some questionable ways to power up. But at least the ending was spectacular.

Yeah I should clarify my praise of it - it wasn't a masterpiece, but I do think it deserved more than like 15 chapters or whatever it got.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
busou renken and toriko got more or less the same deal. they were cancelled, but got time to wrap things up appropriately.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Thousand year blood war's major problem was being way too long, even for trying to pull in as much of the ballooned cast as possible, which I don't have a problem with. I don't know the chapter count offhand, but it certainly feels longer than any other arc. Hopefully the anime manages to trim or condense it whenever it comes out. Then hopefully it does well so they make Can't Fear Your Own World.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you could trim the final arc of bleach a lot but I don't think you can make it actually good without a full rewrite

tho if the direction and look of the anime is good enough, people prob won't even care

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Any good shonen lately? Oh Bleach huh. Well, talk to you later.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

well there was a new kaiju chapter

nothing else to add at this time

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1408323887549534210?s=19

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

This is neat. Hopefully it will get something closer to a proper ending.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

This is neat. Hopefully it will get something closer to a proper ending.

Here's hoping. I know it's legitimately not a great series, but it kinda worked for me on the strenght of the art and the earnestness of the characters alone, and it already looked like it was rushing to the finish line, so that ending stank.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-06-25/shonen-jump-gets-reality-show-to-find-next-star-manga-creator/.174414

This could be interesting. The prize including a guaranteed anime adaptation is surprising, although I'm not sure if that necessarily means a TV anime or just an OVA.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Mashle was disappointing this week. But Sakamoto is picking up the slack…at half off!
If you’re immortal I don’t have to worry about killing you :black101:

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Darth TNT posted:

Mashle was disappointing this week. But Sakamoto is picking up the slack…at half off!
If you’re immortal I don’t have to worry about killing you :black101:

The guy chugging down water only for it to come out through a hole in his body is horrifying.

Witch Watch:

I love that Mori takes youtube very seriously.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Red Hood was basically exactly the same as the one-shot except the gore was toned down, huh.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Laughed at how Witch Watch was actually full of tips for doing a Youtube channel.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Electric Phantasm posted:

The guy chugging down water only for it to come out through a hole in his body is horrifying.

Witch Watch:

I love that Mori takes youtube very seriously.

Mori takes everything seriously. Also how love how he makes friends.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Really digging The Hunters Guild: Red Hood. I hope it goes far.

Sakamoto Days was fantastic.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I enjoyed the first chap of Red Hood, though the (character) art looks very much like its trying to copy the style of MHA

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Red Hood's characters gave me some real MHA vibes. Seems neat.

Sakamoto had some drat good action this week.

Elusive Samurai, I think I'm starting to be afraid of Tokiyuki :stare:

So I guess Nine Dragons is gonna hang on for a while longer? That's surprising, I thought for sure it was gonna get cut. Maybe SJ is trying to fill the hole Haikyu left?

And of course i Tell c gets the axe. Kind of a shame, I think the main theme of having sympathy for criminals was a neat one, but having it expressed by making the main character a creepy stalker was just... eugh. It didn't help that the theme took a while to really show itself, what with the first few arcs all having scumbag criminals that Aioi was "in love" with so it just came off as unhinged. That said, the art heist storyline was kinda neat, that's where I could really see the potential the series had.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Thin Sakamoto just casually sitting in the subway is incredibly intimidating.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Mashle did just feel like a really flat DBZ fight, yeah.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

CodfishCartographer posted:

I enjoyed the first chap of Red Hood, though the (character) art looks very much like its trying to copy the style of MHA
The mangaka was literally one of Horikoshi's assistants

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also okay yeah, Kowloon is probably getting axed.

https://twitter.com/WSJ_manga/status/1407619140018388995?s=20

The page-count increase usually means they're trying to end it within a certain number of chapters so that it all fits into volumes.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I wish harry Potter could swap out Dumbledore for Wahleburg. because that would make things so much more fun.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Fabricated posted:

The mangaka was literally one of Horikoshi's assistants

That explains it. Stylish!

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
This week

Blue Box - not sure if I enjoy this plot point but hey it's a shounen romance, and the 2nd half was pretty great
Mashle - ah yes shounen fighting BS, nice
Red Hood - this slaps?? art is nice and clean

I read the last chapter of I Tell C (skipping from chapter 9) and wow sucks that it ended

Should I read Zombie Powder?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I liked Mashle but I think I just like how Mashle, as with OPM, just punks out moments like this.

But also I knew it was going shonen battle mode sooner than later.

Lily Catts posted:

Should I read Zombie Powder?
It's a fun little look at a series that didn't make it, yeah.