Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheRecogScene
Aug 22, 2010

I'm gonna miss you when you're gone.
There are directions games can go in that make political subject matter work well, but it requires careful attention - my favorite little thing about We Are Chicago is that they hired a writer who has specifically lived in the area they are trying to represent and is actually black (the race and culture they are trying to represent) to vet the game's authenticity, and then even hired a secondary consultant who is an ex-gang-recruiter and the leader of Reclaim Our Kids to look over and make sure the content related to gang violence is accurate and to put in readable brochures offering information about leaving or avoiding gangs and about the real-world charity to players. This might not seem like a little thing because it has such a major impact, but in fact it's remarkably easy for a team to go ahead on a project while hoping their assumptions about a culture are correct - if you want to market a game on having a message, that message better ring true. Speaking generally, incorporating real life topics into art can create a lot of responsibility (especially when topics are current and thus stand a chance at impacting the way people see and act about issues that are currently causing real harm), and games are much more expensive to create than probably any other kind of art barring maybe a summer blockbuster film full of people demanding high pay, and accordingly, the bigger budget ones don't want to divert their budget onto making sure they tackle a topic responsibly. Social consciousness beyond very broad philosophical messages is the realm of indie games, films and music.

Moving away from games I hope to play next year, a little thing I really enjoyed in a game I'm currently playing is how full of details Nathan Drake's house is in Uncharted 4. In addition to trinkets and file folders with pictures from previous games, the stairs of his house are lined with pictures of him and his wife, always in scenic locations that really represent how much he travels outside of the three previous outings we have had with him, and establish him wordlessly as a generally adventurous guy instead of asking us to simply trust that he wouldn't just be so lucky as to have his only three vacations involve lost cities (which would also be in character for him, since luck is pretty much his established superpower).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
To get back to little things in games, I've been playing Bloodborne again lately and I noticed something pretty cool. Bloodborne has 3 endings based on what you do in the game's final moments; the first of which is to exit the nightmare without solving the whole "cthulus sucking the world into an alternate reality" thing by submitting your life to the final-ish boss. Unlike some of the other souls games, Bloodborne doesn't change much in new game plus, but if you do get that ending one thing does change. A new gravestone in the hunter's dream appears, and the plain doll will sometimes stand at it. If you talk to her, she mentions a hunter she once knew that was enchanted by the dream and then exited to see the sunrise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q61QzKE2ulg

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Its funny cause the same companies that want games to try to mirror political things a little are the same ones that complain the loudest when a company does try to do it.

Players too. People in the Deus Ex thread were furious. It was pretty obvious that a lot of them played the games as a marxist spy fantasy and were really mad that the game would distract them from the revolution by framing conflict in racism terms instead.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

CJacobs posted:

To get back to little things in games, I've been playing Bloodborne again lately and I noticed something pretty cool. Bloodborne has 3 endings based on what you do in the game's final moments; the first of which is to exit the nightmare without solving the whole "cthulus sucking the world into an alternate reality" thing by submitting your life to the final-ish boss. Unlike some of the other souls games, Bloodborne doesn't change much in new game plus, but if you do get that ending one thing does change. A new gravestone in the hunter's dream appears, and the plain doll will sometimes stand at it. If you talk to her, she mentions a hunter she once knew that was enchanted by the dream and then exited to see the sunrise.

:staredog: I never knew this

samu3lk
Aug 25, 2008

I'm untouchable thanks to these pills.
Been playing the sequel to Grow Home called Grow Up the last few days. Both are super charming games and you just kinda wander around looking for collectibles. There's no set path and no real conflict. Just a super chill game.

I was climbing around on a floating island and heard this weird humming sound and I couldn't find what it was.

Turns out it was a little bug sitting on the top of the rock. The sound was coming from the bug. He was humming a little song.

I was delighted.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Trainmonk posted:

What I want to know is how many actual marginalized people are interested in games taking stances for them and how many are just regular white guys seeking a sophisticated storyline involving real world issues. I think that, ironically with deus ex, "we didn't ask for this" is a common feeling among people those issues actually involve.

I would love if more games represented me or told good stories about my marginalized group :)

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I would love if more games represented me or told good stories about my marginalized group :)

Same. In fact, I have off and on considered trying to get into games for such a reason, but life is a bit too hectic.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
I was thinking about my favorite game of all time today (Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind), and thought of one. The first guy you talk to in the main quest, who gives you a large portion of your main story quests in the beginning, is the spymaster for the Blades in the region. He ends up being a shirtless, middle-aged, balding man wearing soggy brown trousers. His house is a lovely mess, and he's poorly concealing an illicit drug stash under his bed. When he gives you your final official Blades orders, he mentions that he has to leave the region because he was recalled to the Imperial City to be reviewed. After this point, he disappears from the game, and it's heavily implied that he was fired from his position for being a coke-fiend. I always thought that it was neat that such a main character in a fantasy game has such little decorum.

I also appreciate that the game accurately depicts my plight of an elf of color who is oppressed by the Empire and a theocratic regime under the Tribunal ;)

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FELD1 posted:

I was thinking about my favorite game of all time today (Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind), and thought of one. The first guy you talk to in the main quest, who gives you a large portion of your main story quests in the beginning, is the spymaster for the Blades in the region. He ends up being a shirtless, middle-aged, balding man wearing soggy brown trousers. His house is a lovely mess, and he's poorly concealing an illicit drug stash under his bed. When he gives you your final official Blades orders, he mentions that he has to leave the region because he was recalled to the Imperial City to be reviewed. After this point, he disappears from the game, and it's heavily implied that he was fired from his position for being a coke-fiend. I always thought that it was neat that such a main character in a fantasy game has such little decorum.

I also appreciate that the game accurately depicts my plight of an elf of color who is oppressed by the Empire and a theocratic regime under the Tribunal ;)
Caius is a really interesting character beneath the surface as well. Hasphat at the Fighter's Guild tells you all about his and Caius's philosophical and political debates, as two old men in a backwater town with educations and an interest in the world. Also it's possible he was a Mehrunes Dagon cultist triple-agent given that his guiding the player character into shaking the Red Tower directly caused the Oblivion Crisis.

Interesting guy!

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Does he ever get mentioned in any other lore or was he a Morrowind one-off?

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Didn't say represent, I said take stances for. More clearly, attempting to define or coopt marginalized people and their motivations primarily for white folk's easy consumption. Its almost voyeurism a lot of the time.

Representation is like when they put a gay person in the game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Does he ever get mentioned in any other lore or was he a Morrowind one-off?
A developer wrote this a year or two after Oblivion, for whatever that's worth

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Caius is a really interesting character beneath the surface as well. Hasphat at the Fighter's Guild tells you all about his and Caius's philosophical and political debates, as two old men in a backwater town with educations and an interest in the world. Also it's possible he was a Mehrunes Dagon cultist triple-agent given that his guiding the player character into shaking the Red Tower directly caused the Oblivion Crisis.

Interesting guy!

Heh, I don't know how many times I talked to Hasphat Antabolis and never really pried into what he was saying (I liked using him as a low level trainer though). This is really interesting to me, and I'll definitely look into it next time that I play through the game.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

Trainmonk posted:

Didn't say represent, I said take stances for. More clearly, attempting to define or coopt marginalized people and their motivations primarily for white folk's easy consumption. Its almost voyeurism a lot of the time.

Taking stances would be great too!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

FELD1 posted:

Heh, I don't know how many times I talked to Hasphat Antabolis and never really pried into what he was saying (I liked using him as a low level trainer though). This is really interesting to me, and I'll definitely look into it next time that I play through the game.
haha, I know, I ignored him for years. Turns out he has some of the most interesting dialogue in the game when you have the appropriate topics to ask about, and he's credited in loads of the books as well.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Trainmonk posted:

This is your real response to people you act like you can speak for, after they contradict you? That seems patronizing and unimpressive to me. It's not like this distinction was lost on the person who said "represented or told good stories about" either.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

swamp waste posted:

This is your real response to people you act like you can speak for, after they contradict you? That seems patronizing and unimpressive to me. It's not like this distinction was lost on the person who said "represented or told good stories about" either.

No, I am speaking for myself as a minority. Why did you assume all of that?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

And it's not like stances aren't already taken on oppressed groups all the time. Like every Call of duty, where vague defined outsiders hate America for an obviously baseless reason, and need to be wiped out, is taking a stance. I would maybe like at least some to try to be less lovely about some of them, maybe? Hell. When everything ignores you, more or less, that is a stance, that whatever is going on doesn't really matter, no?

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Aug 21, 2016

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Trainmonk posted:

No, I am speaking for myself as a minority. Why did you assume all of that?

I meant that you could speak for them too. It seemed like you were saying "this is the only minority viewpoint and if you don't agree it's because you don't get this distinction" even though the person you were replying to clearly did.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

In the Deus Ex HR DLC I was expecting the boss to be as bad as all the main game ones. I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to just turn invisible and stab him in the head.

Trainmonk
Jul 4, 2007

swamp waste posted:

I meant that you could speak for them too. It seemed like you were saying "this is the only minority viewpoint and if you don't agree it's because you don't get this distinction" even though the person you were replying to clearly did.

Was just clarifying because I felt misunderstood bud.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Tiberius Thyben posted:

And it's not like stances aren't already taken on oppressed groups all the time. Like every Call of duty, where vague defined outsiders hate America for an obviously baseless reason, and need to be wiped out, is taking a stance. I would maybe like at least some to try to be less lovely about some of them, maybe? Hell. When everything ignores you, more or less, that is a stance, that whatever is going on doesn't really matter, no?

The other games in the series sound a lot simpler than Modern Warfare 3, the only one I've played, which was about a rogue faction of the Russian military inciting the third world war and in which you played as two British men and a Russian.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

2house2fly posted:

The other games in the series sound a lot simpler than Modern Warfare 3, the only one I've played, which was about a rogue faction of the Russian military inciting the third world war and in which you played as two British men and a Russian.

Ghosts is about South America Uniting under a Venezuelan dictator who really hates the US for reasons left unexplained. They then go on to destroy most US population centers with satellites. It is the most egregiously bad, but they are all kinda goofy.

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 06:08 on Aug 21, 2016

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Ghosts' single player was cool because it was insane and over the top but played completely straight like it didn't realize how crazy it was. It reminded me a lot of old 80s action movies that way. Every other wild flamboyant game like that has a kind of obnoxious self-awareness to it, like you can feel the developers nudging you in the ribs and going "wasn't that wacky??? Eh? Eh??" so it was a refreshing change of pace.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Ghosts' single player was cool because it was insane and over the top but played completely straight like it didn't realize how crazy it was. It reminded me a lot of old 80s action movies that way. Every other wild flamboyant game like that has a kind of obnoxious self-awareness to it, like you can feel the developers nudging you in the ribs and going "wasn't that wacky??? Eh? Eh??" so it was a refreshing change of pace.

I think you'd like the new Wolfenstein games, too. Every Nazi important enough to get a name is as evil as Hitler himself, and no one bats an eye about it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Another bloodborne easter egg I enjoyed:

The stacks of books in the Hunter's Dream workshop have a couple copies of "How To Pick Up Fair Maidens" amongst them :allears:

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

CJacobs posted:

Another bloodborne easter egg I enjoyed:

The stacks of books in the Hunter's Dream workshop have a couple copies of "How To Pick Up Fair Maidens" amongst them :allears:

Some texture artist somewhere is just nodding his head and saying "Finally someone noticed."

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Tardcore posted:

Some texture artist somewhere is just nodding his head and saying "Finally someone noticed."

The great part is, it's in character for that book to be there.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Tiberius Thyben posted:

My dude let me tell you about a little game called Spec Ops: The Line

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

timp posted:

My dude let me tell you about a little game called Spec Ops: The Line

A man falls through the earth and into Parisian catacombs. Taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. Grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u played Spec Ops: The Line?"

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Alhazred posted:

A man falls through the earth and into Parisian catacombs. Taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. Grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u played Spec Ops: The Line?"

Please can you remind me the original version of this.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Wasn't the original statement "my nigga have u tried LSD"?

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

VideoGames posted:

Please can you remind me the original version of this.
Duncan

quote:

its really amazing how the actions of goons and mods are so freaking far beyond the pale that its actually impossible for a bystander to believe.

proposal: i am going to make an environmentally sustainable yoga retreat in hawaii

reality: a y2k survivalist paid goons a "food stipend" to help me clearcut a rainforest, dig a road by hand, torture and mutilate animals to death on camera, and bathe in/drink from an improperly filtered kiddy pool that wild hogs poo poo and pissed in

proposal: i am going to make a fun zipline for kids at camp

reality: a goon spent tens of thousands of dollars constructing a machine that kills children, entirely by accident

proposal: a fad diet thread in the exercise forum

reality: a mentally ill man resembling a melted candle, the pied piper of ham joints, told people that eating nothing but eggs and bacon and lard in paint buckets (they were literally buying and eating buckets full of lard in the name of good health) would not only make them lose weight, but was so healthy it would cure heart disease and cancer. an enormous fat powerlifter who cant run for 20 seconds probated and banned anyone who challenged this wisdom until it lead to a man barely in his 20s being prescribed statins.

proposal: a thread about animal husbandry in the pet forum

reality: a moderator unrepentantly killed animals with ac/dc hadoukens and probated people who asked questions

proposal: a forum for "responsible drug users" and "harm reduction"

reality: a man falls through the earth and into parisian catacombs. taking a torch from the wall he spies row upon row of skeletons. grasping the nearest by the shoulders, he shakes it madly, yelling "my nigga have u tried lsd"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
That is a drat fine quote.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Wait, the lard bucket guy was also a mod? I completely missed this until now. That is hilarious.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

dpbjinc posted:

I think you'd like the new Wolfenstein games, too. Every Nazi important enough to get a name is as evil as Hitler himself, and no one bats an eye about it.

I haven't gotten around to The Old Blood yet but I certainly loved that vibe from The New Order. I loved the dead seriousness with which it presented Nazi moon bases and dogs in mech suits.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Thank you so so much. Everytime I read that I end up crying with laughter. It might be one of the best posts to have ever come from this site.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Can somebody please provide a link for that lard bucket thing, holy poo poo.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Oh I'm sorry I thought you meant "mug of beef tallow someone heated up and ate with a spoon", here is the bucket of lard, unfortunately I can't find the posts around it just the picture

The Chad Jihad has a new favorite as of 21:55 on Aug 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Been playing The Witcher 3 again recently, and during one quest, Geralt tells someone to have the town bar their doors and put a line of salt outside because some poo poo's going down that night. As you run through the town doing the quest, there are actual lines of salt outside the doors. None of the buildings are important for the quest, and they absolutely didn't have to bother with it, but every house has a line of salt only for that quest.