Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Node posted:

Have all the various hotfixes recently fixed the save game deletion/corruption deal or is that still a thing?

Pretty sure it's fine now? Don't think anyone's mentioned their save getting corrupted/deleted here since 14.1 or whatever that hotfix was. Backup saves work properly now so either way it should be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

GreyjoyBastard posted:

After a couple tries I decided "ehh, Muscovy seems to like attacking Novgorod first, maybe I'll just try the Kazan achievement."

Guess what happened. :saddowns:

Before going for Frozen Assets I tried for Great Perm. 25-30 times I restarted and every single time Poland PU'ed Lith and I needed Lith to be free. They turn down the PU the first game I give up and go for another achievement. :suicide:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

How could your tiny midget soldiers defeat the proud, 7 foot tall Anglo-Saxon ubermensch?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Enjoy posted:

How could your tiny midget soldiers defeat the proud, 7 foot tall Anglo-Saxon ubermensch?

Ok, that's kinda funny.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
All the custom Nations achievements seem to check for the Setting (Normal 200 - Hard 50 - easy 400 - very easy 800) and not the actual points you used.

If you're going for the Ideas Guy achievement, I started in Madanda near the cape and just conquered/colonized my way to India. Or well I am still doing it, but it should be farily easy to get 500 ducats worth of income by owning most of asia and routing it to the cape.

Not sure if I had the best idea picks:
Traditions: 20% Morale / 10 Discipline
Ambition: 20% Global Trade Power
Ideas:
-10% Idea cost
-10% Tech cost
-20% Core Creation Cost
+2 Leader Shock
+2 Leader Siege
+20% Trade Efficiency
+20% Production Efficiency

Not sure there's any better options than Dutch Republic with Hindu as faith, the flexibility you get from that is pretty great, wouldn't be surprised if they try to nerf that.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Did an England game to unwind after some harder starts. PU'd Austria in 1450. PU'd Poland in 1520. Some days you roll all sixes I guess.

While I mostly bent those two powers towards my agenda of annexing all of France, I noticed that Europe gets really weird if those two nations aren't around doing their things. Novgorod ran over Muscovy and Lithuania ran over them both, Bohemia went nuts and ate all of Germany, the Ottoman Empire rolled over anything right up to the borders of mega-England and literally every nation not in Italy went Protestant or Reformed.

I really enjoyed seeing all that happen, it was the very essence of an alt-history, 'what if England went Full Hapsberg.'

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
fook-a you, koreeeeeaaaaa :black101: :japan:

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
you're loving next, manchu

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That Kazani WC looks awesome simply because as fun and interesting as new forts are, I'm startng to get seriously tired of managing them in large realms, so playing a huge nation with tons of 1/1/1 provinces that really doesn't care if they get half the country seiged sounds fun.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

So I went for a dual Idea Guys/First Come First Serve run. I think I'm going to get Idea Guys (I've got like 200 income and I can see myself hitting 500) but I don't think I'm going to get First Come First Serve. 3 colonists just aren't enough to colonize the entirety of the New World and the wars to take over European colonies (who aren't colonizing too much) are hell wars that take forever. I got alliances with France and Mega-Morroco only to see both of those nations absolutely collapse, meaning I had no European continental allies to help drive up the warscore by taking provinces Spain and company actually care about. It's about 1650 and I think I'm just going to make as many colonies as I can, ignoring colonist bonuses, but I still don't think I'm going to be able to colonize these two continents. Anyone had any luck with this achievement?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

TTBF posted:

So I went for a dual Idea Guys/First Come First Serve run. I think I'm going to get Idea Guys (I've got like 200 income and I can see myself hitting 500) but I don't think I'm going to get First Come First Serve. 3 colonists just aren't enough to colonize the entirety of the New World and the wars to take over European colonies (who aren't colonizing too much) are hell wars that take forever. I got alliances with France and Mega-Morroco only to see both of those nations absolutely collapse, meaning I had no European continental allies to help drive up the warscore by taking provinces Spain and company actually care about. It's about 1650 and I think I'm just going to make as many colonies as I can, ignoring colonist bonuses, but I still don't think I'm going to be able to colonize these two continents. Anyone had any luck with this achievement?

If you're not running around with Max Colonists, you really need to start conquering the colonizers sooner rather than later. Colonial wars are much easier if you just need to stroll an army from your province into the enemy capital, instead of shipping them cross continent. Also the usual colonization to cut colonists off from the interior, as well as grabbing Mexico asap.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've started a Kazan game like 10 times because Muscovy keeps declaring for Perm's core like one month in lol. And of course I can usually win that war with a WP, but Nogai and GH always declare separate wars during that. What happened to Muscovy usually attacking Novgorod first.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Larry Parrish posted:

I've started a Kazan game like 10 times because Muscovy keeps declaring for Perm's core like one month in lol. And of course I can usually win that war with a WP, but Nogai and GH always declare separate wars during that. What happened to Muscovy usually attacking Novgorod first.

If you wanna do the Horde thing wouldn't it be easier to do it as Timurids anyway?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elman posted:

If you wanna do the Horde thing wouldn't it be easier to do it as Timurids anyway?

I want to get the Tartarstan achievement. Also they have a capital in Europe.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Kazan is arguably the best tag in the game for world conquest now, since their ideas are slightly better than the generic Horde ideas (most importantly they get reduced coring cost sooner, tolerance, and 15% more morale at the end to help with France etc.) and hordes > non hordes

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Cynic Jester posted:

If you're not running around with Max Colonists, you really need to start conquering the colonizers sooner rather than later. Colonial wars are much easier if you just need to stroll an army from your province into the enemy capital, instead of shipping them cross continent. Also the usual colonization to cut colonists off from the interior, as well as grabbing Mexico asap.

The problem I'm having is that I don't see a way to colonize the entirety of the interiors without letting the colonizers colonize and then taking it from them. Even going from 0 colonial population to 1,000 in three years (minus travel time) doesn't seem like it'll be fast enough to grab everything.

e: Aside from Canada, New England, and Brazil, I do have everyone cut off. Conquered enough of the shoreline for that, but got to the Northeast of North America too late.

TTBF fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Dec 12, 2015

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
I've been trying to hold off playing this game again until after Christmas, just was looking through the new achievements. Can't...resist....

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Did something change with AE? As France I took 5 provinces from Savoy and all of Europe coalitioned me. The Teutons and Poland have 50 AE against me.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Larry Parrish posted:

I think the new Favors/Trust system kind of throws Muscovy off a bit. I've had like 3-4 games now where either Tver or Ryazan are alive like 150 years into the game because Muscovy allies them. Muscovy still manages to swallow that region up but it seems like it has to be a little slower about it than the previous plan of just declaring war on every single neighbor (at once).

Also can you not ally Timurids before Muscovy comes for you?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Too Poetic posted:

Did something change with AE? As France I took 5 provinces from Savoy and all of Europe coalitioned me. The Teutons and Poland have 50 AE against me.

How long ago are you interested in looking back? I started playing 3 months ago and basically did the same thing, so any changes to AE happened at least before that

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Tahirovic posted:

All the custom Nations achievements seem to check for the Setting (Normal 200 - Hard 50 - easy 400 - very easy 800) and not the actual points you used.

If you're going for the Ideas Guy achievement, I started in Madanda near the cape and just conquered/colonized my way to India. Or well I am still doing it, but it should be farily easy to get 500 ducats worth of income by owning most of asia and routing it to the cape.

Not sure if I had the best idea picks:
Traditions: 20% Morale / 10 Discipline
Ambition: 20% Global Trade Power
Ideas:
-10% Idea cost
-10% Tech cost
-20% Core Creation Cost
+2 Leader Shock
+2 Leader Siege
+20% Trade Efficiency
+20% Production Efficiency

Not sure there's any better options than Dutch Republic with Hindu as faith, the flexibility you get from that is pretty great, wouldn't be surprised if they try to nerf that.

Yeah Hindu/DR is a great combo. I did Nahuatl in Mexico for my (unfinished but gonna pull it off) run, it looks like you can pass the Nahuatl reforms which is likely a bug but I haven't managed to grab 5 actual vassals yet to try. I'm not so excited about the ideas cost reduction specifically, you're gonna have tons of MPs to throw around as a Western tech Dutch Republic. I went for:

Traditions: 20% Morale / 10% Discipline
Ambition: 2% Missionary Strength (Great for Pagans who tend to be poo poo at conversion, don't need it for quite a while so I put it last. Probably skip as Hindu.)
Ideas:
-0.20 Yearly Inflation Reduction (Using tons of gold mines to kickstart early economy and expansion)
+2 Colonists
+20% Production Efficiency ($$ and also higher Settler Chance)
+20 Settlers (might not have been optimal pick)
+1.0 yearly AT
+20% Infantry Combat Ability
+20% Siege Ability

That's really focused on colonizing of course, in retrospect I should've taken coring cost reduction but it's not been a huge problem.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Too Poetic posted:

The 1.13.x patch prior to 1.14 adjusted AE values upwards again so if you haven't played in the last month(?) or so that would be it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I just beat the gently caress out of France in a war and took most of their colonial holdings outside of Africa, but a weird thing happened. While going through and managing the OE and suchlike, I was presented with the option to accede to some demands. I didn't, except for one that looked very curious.

Jerusalemite rebels wanted freedom. Fine, I'll spin them off anyway, cba defending them against the Turks. Wait a heck right here, I didn't take anything in the Middle East. What's going on?

I was able to release Jerusalem as a Francien Catholic nation on the island chain of Mentawai. Off the coast of Sumatra. No idea how or why I could, but hey, I did it. Good for them, good luck out there guys!

DeeEmTee
Jan 29, 2005

Larry Parrish posted:

You basically have to restart until you can ally Timurids on day 1 and Uzbek on day 2.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Too Poetic posted:

AE has been pretty variable through the last couple patches, it depends what you're comparing it to. But if you took 5 provinces from Savoy that should probably be the reaction. :v:

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah you need to be really careful if you want to start cutting into central Europe. Between the HRE and the web of alliances you're going to piss half the countries in there off no matter what you do. On the flip side, once you do get big enough to bully around Austria/the HRE emperor and their allies you can dismantle the whole thing fairly quickly by just chaining wars together to fight the Emperor 3-4 times in a row and just completely neuter them. One of my favorite things to do if I'm playing in Europe.

Knocked out my latest run early today that I'm pretty proud of. Started as Yeren and got Manchurian Candidate, Rags and Riches, Blood for the Sky God, and Pyramid of Skulls on the way to forming Qing. It was pretty fun and actually worked out better than I was expecting. You do the usual song and dance to form Manchu and not get murdered by Ming, then start colonizing so that you can setup a colony next to a Central American nation for the border you need to get Nahuatl as a syncretic faith. Then you spend however many decades waiting for Ming to blow up colonizing, conquering central Asia/India, and setting up a good trade network for Rags and Riches, then once Ming is weak enough you chop off the bit you need from them and raze Beijing (33 development) for Pyramid of Skulls before finally forming Qing for Manchurian Candidate. Pretty fun run if no one's tried it before. I was going to try and get the 5 allies with 100 trust achievement too but loving Oirat decided they hate me one day so I didn't feel like waiting another 150 years to build up enough favors to get their trust back.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Ottomans are doing real good in my game, but is it WAD that they don't seem to be converting anything at all? They've got a bunch of Orthodox provinces in the Balkans, some Shia ones from Persia, Coptic in Armenia, and they've picked up one or two Catholic ones too, but as far as I can see none have been converted.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Mister Adequate posted:

Ottomans are doing real good in my game, but is it WAD that they don't seem to be converting anything at all? They've got a bunch of Orthodox provinces in the Balkans, some Shia ones from Persia, Coptic in Armenia, and they've picked up one or two Catholic ones too, but as far as I can see none have been converted.

Yes and this is pretty historically accurate. The Ottomans were relatively tolerant of religious minorities (key word: relatively) and get +3 Heathen Tolerance in-game.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Mister Adequate posted:

Maybe they're giving the provinces to the Dhimmi (?) Estate.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Pellisworth posted:

Yes and this is pretty historically accurate. The Ottomans were relatively tolerant of religious minorities (key word: relatively) and get +3 Heathen Tolerance in-game.

True enough I suppose, just seems a little odd that it's quite this tolerant because it would make a modern-day country proud.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

DeeEmTee posted:

You basically have to restart until you can ally Timurids on day 1 and Uzbek on day 2.

I did that but once muscovy declared on me the timurids had somehow disbanded all of their army save for 10k infantry after vassalizing tabarestan and bringing themselves into a war with QQ. Uzbek decided to impale themselves on Oirat's 5 shock general so they were toast by the time they were needed. I have the worst luck with allies. Whenever I'm facing these nations they're rock solid but as soon as I ally them they implode.

az
Dec 2, 2005

Quick question, what are the suggested army comps at the moment. I'm still building 2-1-1 ratio stacks as non hordes and I really don't know if that's up to date anymore.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

az posted:

Quick question, what are the suggested army comps at the moment. I'm still building 2-1-1 ratio stacks as non hordes and I really don't know if that's up to date anymore.

I don't know the best configuration for non-hordes for soldiers and cavalry, but I do know you want more cannons than that. They are always doing damage from the back row, unlike the other two which only can do it from the front. And they aren't taking losses unless your front line melts, so the drain on manpower is minimized.

But I too would like to know what the most optimal ratio is, barring expenses, for western nations is.

Palleon
Aug 11, 2003

I've got a hot deal on a bridge to the Pegasus Galaxy!
Grimey Drawer

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah Hindu/DR is a great combo. I did Nahuatl in Mexico for my (unfinished but gonna pull it off) run, it looks like you can pass the Nahuatl reforms which is likely a bug but I haven't managed to grab 5 actual vassals yet to try. I'm not so excited about the ideas cost reduction specifically, you're gonna have tons of MPs to throw around as a Western tech Dutch Republic. I went for:

Traditions: 20% Morale / 10% Discipline
Ambition: 2% Missionary Strength (Great for Pagans who tend to be poo poo at conversion, don't need it for quite a while so I put it last. Probably skip as Hindu.)
Ideas:
-0.20 Yearly Inflation Reduction (Using tons of gold mines to kickstart early economy and expansion)
+2 Colonists
+20% Production Efficiency ($$ and also higher Settler Chance)
+20 Settlers (might not have been optimal pick)
+1.0 yearly AT
+20% Infantry Combat Ability
+20% Siege Ability

That's really focused on colonizing of course, in retrospect I should've taken coring cost reduction but it's not been a huge problem.

Shouldn't +republican tradition make the list of ideas somewhere along the line?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Talking about ratios is useless for army composition, because most non-horde countries will only want four cavalry regiments.

The "optimal" army composition is X-4 infantry, 4 cavalry, and X artillery, where X is either your combat width of the province you're fighting in or the number of infantry and cavalry in the enemy army, whichever is smaller.

az
Dec 2, 2005

^^ I assume when you build for combat width you go for the indicated tech level width maximum on plains?

Node posted:

I don't know the best configuration for non-hordes for soldiers and cavalry, but I do know you want more cannons than that. They are always doing damage from the back row, unlike the other two which only can do it from the front. And they aren't taking losses unless your front line melts, so the drain on manpower is minimized.

But I too would like to know what the most optimal ratio is, barring expenses, for western nations is.

I'm reading up on it on the wiki right now and it seems that there isn't really a concensus but the two main arguments seem to be either 60:40 i:c + 50% reserves + one entire combat width line of artillery (example: 24:15:26 for 26 width) or minimal cav for flanking only depending on tech level such as 8:2:5 early, 18:2:10 mid or 36:4:20 late game. These numbers copied straight from the wiki so Idk how this actually works out.

I never really used as much artillery because, besides the price point, the big battles I get into in large alliance/coalition wars with a dozen stacks per side usually have massive amounts of frontline casualties and are usually decided by which side runs out of frontline units first, but I can see how heavy artillery stacks can be great in smaller engagements with only one or two armies on each side. I think I need to pay attention to artillery casualties because I always figure the more I bring to battle the more they just clump up in the reserve without fighting.

fakeedit: I just looked through my screenshots for huge battle results and this one seems to have worked out well with an accidental 1:1 infantry to artillery ratio

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
1:1 ratio of Infantry to Artillery with 2-4 Cavalry is ideal but it can get expensive as hell. The reason for this is that Artillery can shoot at 50% effectiveness from the backline and give 50% of their defensive stats to the regiment in front of them. So ideally you just have Mercs eat the losses in the front as Infantry while also being stronger, pound for pound, than your opponent's infantry assuming they don't have a filled out backline full of cannons (the AI never goes 1:1 IIRC). Also helps that Mercs auto upgrade in 1.14 now too!

VVVVVV: You can get around your front line dying off by having a reserve of Merc Infantry one province away that you reinforce with when you take losses

Eej fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 13, 2015

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
I don't know if there's really an optimal ratio for Western beyond just 8/4/8 and building off of that, you have to keep your front line less than 50% cavalry or they start taking the 25% tactics hit, which then leads to them crumbling and your artillery getting put on the front line and murdered. By the same logic if you max out your back row with cannons they're going to get moved up after a few days of fighting so you definitely need to keep the extra buffer too.

Tendronai fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 13, 2015

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Palleon posted:

Shouldn't +republican tradition make the list of ideas somewhere along the line?

You don't need it for Dutch Republics. You get an extra +1 RT per year when you have the Statists in power, and there are no re-elections so no tradition loss from that. It's real easy to stay at 100 tradition all the time, only occasionally losing a few points from random events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

popewiles posted:

Maybe they're giving the provinces to the Dhimmi (?) Estate.

To expand upon this, one of their three estates (which they lose upon westernizing! so be forewarned if playing them) is called the Dhimmi, which boosts non-Muslim tax income but prevents conversion, so by definition they need to keep a fair bit of their territory unconverted.

• Locked thread