Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Then they are sysadmins first and infosec people second. I do sysadmin work and I am the most infosec minded person on my team, but I do not consider myself an infosec person. You've basically just described how we have handled infosec as an industry for the past.. well ever.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Oct 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

apseudonym posted:

If the point is to build trustworthy systems "having the power to do whatever you want" is not compatible . We shouldn't just not have admin to everything we shouldn't want it.

There is a point where an infosec team has so much access there is no longer separation of duty and there are infosec teams with so little access they aren't effective.

RFC2324 posted:

Security shouldn't be adminning anything. Y'all should be identifying issues and setting policies, then kicking down tickets to the admins to make what changes you need(or engage about why the change breaks things)

I don't agree with this completely. If your security team doesn't have some level of secops functionality, you are severely hamstringing so many things. This is also how you get the wrong kind of do-nothing, clueless security personnel that this thread complains about.

You want security folks with operational expertise. You want security deploying and administrating their own tools and resources where it makes sense. Talented people want to press buttons and have some level of autonomy in the infosec space.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Internet Explorer posted:

Then they are sysadmins first and infosec people second. I do sysadmin work and I am the most infosec minded person on my team, but I do not consider myself an infosec person. You've basically just described how we have handled infosec as an industry for the past.. well ever.

So in your opinion is the actual difference in practice between an "info sec person" and a "sys-admin that just does a bunch of info sec stuff", is not violating a separation of duties concept?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

Ah! But what if your info-sec guys are your regular admins because your company cheap AF!? What then?

Nobody gets admin access!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

RFC2324 posted:

Security shouldn't be adminning anything. Y'all should be identifying issues and setting policies, then kicking down tickets to the admins to make what changes you need(or engage about why the change breaks things)
exactly this.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Defenestrategy posted:

So in your opinion is the actual difference in practice between an "info sec person" and a "sys-admin that just does a bunch of info sec stuff", is not violating a separation of duties concept?

Sorry, I might be misunderstanding what you're asking. I'm not arguing against a separation of duties. It's a good thing and that's why the industry has evolved in that direction. I guess my point is that not all places are there yet and I am not surprised when small or medium businesses don't have that. There are a lot of places where security is still an afterthought and no one is really responsible for security and only security. Just like the blending of Ops / help desk / projects happens in small or medium businesses.

It's not good, but it is still the reality in a lot of places.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

Its this. Most of security isn't glamorous, its lots of auditing and policy setting/enforcement.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's great for when you're tired of being boots on the ground. Personally I love it.

The only bad thing about transitioning into security governance is it becomes harder to keep your skill/knowledge up. As is the case for any paperwork-centric job.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Every now and then you get to work fun stuff.

We had a website that had a library in it that got exploited and was being used to host illicit streaming. That was a fun one to fix, because we had to work with the app team to implement engineering changes to prevent reinfection. I live for that stuff.

The rest of the time, its writing governance, reviewing audits, helping write security programs and implementing security policy. Even when I do red team, you get to do some fun stuff, and then you gotta write reports...

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

Even when I do red team, you get to do some fun stuff, and then you gotta write reports...

Maybe I'm weird, but I work for a company that does external pentests/red teaming as the lead and I sometimes have a lot of fun writing the reports. Especially when I break in and just completely demolish everything. It's less fun if you don't get very far.

Everyone that doesn't do pentesting/red teaming thinks it's always a blast, and sometimes there can definitely be a rush when you pop a shell, but nobody ever tells you about the time they spent 3 hours enumerating file shares looking for juicy information and coming up empty handed.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

siggy2021 posted:

Maybe I'm weird, but I work for a company that does external pentests/red teaming as the lead and I sometimes have a lot of fun writing the reports. Especially when I break in and just completely demolish everything. It's less fun if you don't get very far.

Everyone that doesn't do pentesting/red teaming thinks it's always a blast, and sometimes there can definitely be a rush when you pop a shell, but nobody ever tells you about the time they spent 3 hours enumerating file shares looking for juicy information and coming up empty handed.

I know this is probably a constantly asked question but how did you break into that world professionally? I’m currently not super technical but in the process of learning and it seems like everyone takes a very different path. L

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

siggy2021 posted:

Story of my life. Its more fun to write the report if you get a good compromise.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What's the go-to enterprise secrets management solution these days? Infosec team needs a place to store secrets that isn't a shared keepass on a fileshare. I'm thinking of solutioning something like a Hashi Vault instance but I'm not sure if that's just trying to plug a square peg into a round hole.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Not Thycotic

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
AWS, Azure, and GCP have good solutions if you use their stuff. My team really likes Hashi's stuff though, so I'd explore that first.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I've setup Passbolt for clients in the past that couldnt/wouldnt spend:

https://www.passbolt.com/

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I know this is probably a constantly asked question but how did you break into that world professionally?

You didn't ask me, but I started touching computers because academic jobs had no security and I wasn't likely to go tenure-track without eating poo poo for a while. So I was a web dev, until I kept owning the company's app with an SRE buddy. We asked them to pay for our OSCP and they did. Then they asked us to start the security team, so we did. I don't do red team stuff professionally any more, but that was a big part of that first infosec job because nobody would fix anything without a gnarly PoC.

I'd been doing hacker kid poo poo and ctfs and stuff since like high school, though.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Martytoof posted:

What's the go-to enterprise secrets management solution these days? Infosec team needs a place to store secrets that isn't a shared keepass on a fileshare. I'm thinking of solutioning something like a Hashi Vault instance but I'm not sure if that's just trying to plug a square peg into a round hole.

Pleasant Solutions makes an enterprise-friendly multi-user front end for Keepass that has an API. It works and isn't terrible. I've never used Vault, though, so I can't speak to it.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

I know this is probably a constantly asked question but how did you break into that world professionally? I’m currently not super technical but in the process of learning and it seems like everyone takes a very different path. L

To be 100% honest, I fell into it through connections. I had been working jack of all trades IT for a while, was going down a networking path, got interested in security and started messing around with hack the box and what not.

I applied for a networking engineer consulting position with a recruiter, and it turned out that position was taken. The recruiter had another job, and it turned out to be with a consulting company that the company I worked with had done business with so I already knew one of the owners. I got connected with their guy who did the security side of things, and he invited me to do some CTF's with them. I was apparently pretty good at it, and we started hanging out at security conferences together.

He eventually left the company, not because he didn't like the place, but because he had a really good opportunity. He suggested me as his replacement, and it all just kind of worked itself out.

I dealt with some major imposter syndrome, but it's been a year and while it still crops up I've made it this far, lead several pentests, and have had a generally good response from clients. It also helps that I have at least some technical expertise, can actually write fairly well, and can be put in front of clients and lead meetings with them.

tl;dr I got real lucky and stumbled into it. Networking is the only reason I'm here.

Edit: oh I was also pursuing the OSCP before I officially started, but ramped it into full gear once I found out it might be a possibility. I nailed it first try after going from basically no knowledge to passing in about 6 months. It was an absurd amount of work.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Ive had a few interviews for IT security roles now and one of the things that has come up a few times is MITRE and writing reports based on MITRE. I've been honest every time that I've never done any formal incident write ups based on any sort of framework. Every place I've worked has been more of a panic and wildly speculate while foaming out the mouth sort of employer.

So I am trying to train myself in this area now. Does anyone have any recommendations on reading, YouTube, etc that do a good job going over formal incident response? So far I've just been reading up whatever I can find online and trying to find some decent videos on it.

Also is MITRE attack that widely used?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

MITRE isn't an attack, it's a knowledge base and framework for analyzing attacks. https://attack.mitre.org/

[Edit: My day... the are RED things on this REPORT this is CRITICAL]

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

MITRE isn't an attack, it's a knowledge base and framework for analyzing attacks. https://attack.mitre.org/

[Edit: My day... the are RED things on this REPORT this is CRITICAL]

Sorry should've been more specific MITRE ATT&CK.

I guess how widely used is it? Is this a widespread standard or did I just happen to interview at the two places that use it?

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

From the context I think it's clear he knows what it is, even if he didn't spell it att&ck™

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I guess how widely used is it? Is this a widespread standard or did I just happen to interview at the two places that use it?

My bad. Your post wasn't unclear, I just misread it.

I don't work in infosec but my feeling is that it's fairly widespread. Microsoft Ignite has had some interesting presentations on incident response. Check this year and last. If I find them I'll edit them in here.

[edit: boy, they've really made it difficult to find old Ignite content]

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 28, 2020

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

It's gaining more and more traction in the industry and honestly it's not bad as far as using it to classify attacker behavior.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

:stare:
https://twitter.com/briankrebs/status/1321554013226209287

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

BaseballPCHiker posted:

this is quickly becoming The Way to communicate with your security/devops/c suite

it's a great way to concretely qualify attack chains / vulns, and it's not too hard for non-security people to pick it up as readers/consumers pretty quick

idk why my impression about att&ck is so much more enthusiastically positive -- I do work with ABCs a bit, so I guess that just means that the world where "security" is pronounced "cyber" has adopted this quite rapidly

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Oct 28, 2020

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thanks for the info. Watching some YouTube presentations on it now and I like what I see to my untrained eyes so far.

Seems like a really good way to show we identified X issue, detected with Y, and will mitigate with Z.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

So what does MITRE ATT&CK actually entail. I went on the website and it just looks a easier to comprehend vulnerability wiki?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

As a beginner it's super useful since it lays out a modular process. Processes are frequently the thing that nobody actually teaches in easily accessible ways.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

On a related note:

Therapy patients blackmailed for cash after clinic data breach

quote:

Many patients of a large psychotherapy clinic in Finland have been contacted individually by a blackmailer, after their data was stolen.
The data appears to have included personal identification records and notes about what was discussed in therapy sessions.
Vastaamo is a nationwide practice with about 20 branches and thousands of patients.

About 300 records have already been published on the dark web, according to the Associated Press news agency.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

This is going to happen much, much more

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

A unnumbered center-justified list should be punished with etherjacking. :colbert:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Brought to you by Brian Krebs!

https://twitter.com/GossiTheDog/status/1321666478979096576?s=20

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 29, 2020

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
is being brought to me by Brian Krebs bad?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Krebs is a dick and has doxxed people for disagreeing with him

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

wyoak posted:

Considering he "broke protocol" and announced this to the world while relevant parties were trying to get a handle on it without giving away to the threat actor that they knew?

Yea. And the doxxing, as mentioned.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wyoak posted:

Brian Krebs is an ex Windows Admin who plays security and regularly says poo poo that is based on little evidence. He's a pariah in the Infosec community, especially because he doesn't take criticism well. Kinda like Kevin Mitnick but Kevin does actually know a lot of things, even though he sold his soul.

The Fool posted:

Krebs is a dick and has doxxed people for disagreeing with him

This. AND in this case, he's trying to exploit fear to make himself a bunch of money selling a product that might not actually help.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Oct 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oct
Jul 19, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So I am trying to train myself in this area now. Does anyone have any recommendations on reading, YouTube, etc that do a good job going over formal incident response? So far I've just been reading up whatever I can find online and trying to find some decent videos on it.
For free content, I would typically point someone here: https://www.dfir.training/. A lot of the really good training is still paid unfortunately. SANS is kind of a 900 pound gorilla for training, especially for forensics and incident response. The site I linked is pretty much driven by the DFIR community, so there are a lot of decent resources to dig into.

BaseballPCHiker posted:

ATT&CK is definitely becoming something of a standard for modeling threat intelligence - on the DFIR side it's pretty much essential to understand what it is and how it can be used. It's mostly designed for enterprise-level attacks carried out by advanced threats rather than script kiddies, though it can be used for that. I typically work it into interview questions when I am screening candidates.

There are a ton of ways it can be used, it just depends on what you're trying to accomplish. So for example if you're working in a SOC and someone asks you to do some threat hunting, you can pick tactics and look at what indicates those tactics, then search for that across your environment with whatever tools you have. We rely on it a lot during incident response as well simply to help us inform our understanding of what may have happened and what artifacts we should look for (or steps to take to contain the threat, all that IR poo poo).