Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I just wanted to take a screenshot of the Kingpin Principal of Shujin Academy. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

exquisite tea posted:

I don't think Telltale games do a particularly good job of hiding what's behind the curtain while you're playing it, either. This was forgiveable during TWD1 because of its novelty but they pull the same stuff over and over.

I mean its a game, that's linear. You don't Dungeons and Dragons it and just have the world completely change and conform to your choices. Which is the illusion it can give people at first so its weird when it crashes. In WD1 people die and its crazy and cool and feels like YOUR story. Then you look it up and find out oh those people all end up the same way in the end no matter what. Huh. lame. The illusion worked so well on people that they get pissed off at it.

haveblue posted:

Yeah, I've only played TWAU but it was clear the choices you make are to shape the characters, not the plot.

This is the best way I've heard it put. Go in shaping your batman, not expecting to shape your Gotham. Make your Wolf a dick or a redeemed thug. Don't expect to change the plot.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

haveblue posted:

Don't most big-time streamers use their own HDMI capture gear anyway?

Anyone who is even vaguely serious about recording or streaming console games will do so via capture devices. For some reason ATLUS really hates these people for their newest release.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

irlZaphod posted:

I just wanted to take a screenshot of the Kingpin Principal of Shujin Academy. :(

He looks like a runny egg poured into a suit.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Snak posted:

In a game that doesn't have auto save, you didn't save after a boss? LOL

Sorry for laughing. But it's funny. It's a pretty great game.

Games have had autosaving for so long I kept forgetting to save because its not something that really needs to be done these days (and quite a few games don't even let you manually save its all automatic)

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Big weekly sale on EU PSN Store.

Yakuza 0 getting a 41% discount, 34.99€ right now. I'm waiting a few days so I get my 10€ cashback for spending over 50€ on March so I can get Yakuza 0 for 25€ wich is a drat sweet deal.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The free to play Diablo 2 esque Marvel Heroes is coming to PS4. This is good.

It doesn't feature cross play if you already have a PC account. This is bad.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Harlock posted:

Excitement whiplash right there. The second point is a massive disappointment.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Harlock posted:

That's a very :gaz: thing to do. Did they ever add more raids past the second?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I still want Sam and Max Season 4.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

SettingSun posted:

Anyone who is even vaguely serious about recording or streaming console games will do so via capture devices. For some reason ATLUS really hates these people for their newest release.

Honestly, this gay dead forum and its 100% screenshot/video LPs are probably a big part of why.

The threads have made plenty of people buy zero escape games and apparently even spurred the danga ronpa official translation, but it's really easy to see how the higher ups can see it as essentially piracy

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Sentient Data posted:

Honestly, this gay dead forum and its 100% screenshot/video LPs are probably a big part of why.

The threads have made plenty of people buy zero escape games and apparently even spurred the danga ronpa official translation, but it's really easy to see how the higher ups can see it as essentially piracy

Yeah, it's weird. I mean, how many people got into the Dangan Ronpa series because of the one translation LP that these forums hosted? Hell, I bought the sequel because of it. Likewise, I purchase both the second and third Zero Escape games after reading the first one's LP on this site. Without those I probably wouldn't have given a poo poo about either of the series.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sentient Data posted:

Something Awful, well orenronen at least, is definitely completely responsible for the official Dangan Ronpa localizations. Before his LP, it was so unknown it didn't even have a fan translation. That's why tumblrites flocked into the forums enmasse to read his LP.

The Dark Id's probably responsible for a good portion of the Nier fanbase too.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And, what, Atlus sees that and thinks that "if it hadn't been for that LP, all those people would have just bought the game" when in reality, they never would have even heard of it?

edit: These forums are the only place I've ever even heard of Persona. They don't advertise it much in podunk Missouri.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I honestly think the moratorium on P5 videos is not out of concern for sales but a bizarre attempt to preserve spoilers. Like some sort of weird censorship.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SettingSun posted:

I honestly think the moratorium on P5 videos is not out of concern for sales but a bizarre attempt to preserve spoilers. Like some sort of weird censorship.

I mean... I think it's both. I think they are afraid that people buy the game to experience the story, and people who have the story spoiled or experience it vicariously won't buy it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

SettingSun posted:

If it's that they got the opposite effect instead

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Harlock posted:

Its great news for people on ps4 who dont have a pc. But it sucks if you have a pc and would rather play it on the couch. I have used steam link to play on the couch but the UI is kinda poo poo for a controller so i always have my m+KB handy too. Also the text is too small that way.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Harlock posted:

Speaking of cross-play and Diablo, I had thought about buying Diablo 3 at some point, and I heard that the PS4 version was worth checking out, since the game works really well with a controller and ends up being much more satisfying than clicking constantly. However, I was curious as to whether or not your data is carried over between the PS4 and PC versions (I don't own the PC version, but it was the one I originally intended to get.)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Max Wilco posted:

Speaking of cross-play and Diablo, I had thought about buying Diablo 3 at some point, and I heard that the PS4 version was worth checking out, since the game works really well with a controller and ends up being much more satisfying than clicking constantly. However, I was curious as to whether or not your data is carried over between the PS4 and PC versions (I don't own the PC version, but it was the one I originally intended to get.)

It doesn't and the consoles don't interact with each other, although you can upgrade a character to next-gen if you started D3 on a PS3.

Everybody remakes their characters at the start of a new season and you can get powerleveled to 70 in 20 minutes, although PC is still the most definitive system for Diablo.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Snak posted:

In a game that doesn't have auto save, you didn't save after a boss? LOL

Sorry for laughing. But it's funny. It's a pretty great game.
Well I never die so I don't bother until I'm stopping for the evening or whatever!

You're right, though.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Morpheus posted:

He looks like a runny egg poured into a suit.

his model looks like that but his portrait looks like anime kingpin from marvel to me

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

The Black Stones posted:

I'm playing it but Telltale made the baffling decision of "release first 2 episodes at once and then radio silence for 4 months" instead of having an episode release every month or other month.

I don't even know if episode 3 is out yet. Maybe I'll play it sometime soon but my interest has extremely waned since i wasn't too enthused in the direction the game was going and the incredibly long wait time.

Its out and the funny thing about that is in the 4 month hiatus i had my first kid so me and wife found it funny that i made some harsh rear end decisions that i wouldn't have in this episode prior. Don't gently caress with kids :colbert:

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

exquisite tea posted:

I think other games hide the illusion of choice much better than Telltale though.

Like in Until Dawn, each character can die only at 2-3 very specific scripted points, but the constant tension of knowing they CAN all die keeps the player guessing throughout. Telltale still has those frustrating moments of "you made this seemingly impactful decision, but the thing you didn't want to happen happened anyway five minutes later" that really take you out of the narrative.

This a fantastic point. I would say its because telltale churns them out faster but it takes drat near a year plus for all the episodes anyway

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The writing is usually good enough in telltale games. I just think the games themselves need to get better and their formula is too predictable at this point. I feel like it's always the same game with a different skin.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

veni veni veni posted:

The writing is usually good enough in telltale games. I just think the games themselves need to get better and their formula is too predictable at this point. I feel like it's always the same game with a different skin.

Maybe that's why people liked borderlands? Its real light hearted and different. Hell I loved it and I cant stand the franchise otherwise.

To each his own I guess. Police dramas are all the same formula every time and people still watch the hell out of them.

Game of Thrones telltale actually had some huge decisions that DO matter for your story and the sequel. Even though they boil down to some binary choices in the end.

I think they are different enough.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Apr 6, 2017

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea borderlands was really good and funny. I have zero interest in their guardians game. That seems completely unneeded

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Soooo... I just played my first round of Drawn to Death and... thoughts:

1) the commitment to the gimmick actually goes in so hard, I kinda find myself interested.

2) First round ever played and I killed like 8 guys before I was taken out. I guess they sucked more than me.

3) The lag is bad. Peer to Peer I'm guessing but even the audio/sound effects stutter and skip. Jesus christ.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm looking to get some headphoness for my PS4, and I was wondering if there were any specific recommendations? Does wireless vs just plugging into the controller have any real difference?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Cinnamon Bear posted:

I'm looking to get some headphoness for my PS4, and I was wondering if there were any specific recommendations? Does wireless vs just plugging into the controller have any real difference?

Yeah headphones that plug into the controller are limited by the drivers or w/e (I don't know this stuff too well) and transmit via bluetooth. The quality is fine for most people, but if you want to use some crazy over the ears and such they won't work to their potential cause they need more power

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I'm all about wired normal good headphones with even a cheap USB headphone amp right now, but I don't care about having a mic.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Who thought the mining stuff in Gravity Rush 2 would be a good idea? Who said "Let's make collecting orbs three times as slow as in the original. Oh, and make the collection the focus of story missions as well as sidequests." Who

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

everything I've read about GR2 over the last couple months just makes me think the game sucks and the 1st one is a lot better

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Who thought the mining stuff in Gravity Rush 2 would be a good idea? Who said "Let's make collecting orbs three times as slow as in the original. Oh, and make the collection the focus of story missions as well as sidequests." Who

It's all completely optional and unnecessary which only makes its presence even stranger.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I liked GR2 but it had a lot of bad decisions either carried over from its predecessor or new.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah. There was something really likable at it's core but I found the missions almost completely unenjoyable and after a while the controls got really frustrating. It's a shame because it has so much personality.

I think the smaller scale of the first one actually worked in it's favor.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The second worst thing about the mining (apart from it existing at all) is that you have to go through a whole process to get to the area.

1) First you have to go to a specific person and tell him where you want to mine. Then there's a long (thankfully skippable) animation of you going to the area by airboat.
2) Then you have to go to an elevator, and then there's another (skippable) animation / loading screen of Kat going down the elevator. In a game that's all about flying.

Oh, and there's (as far as I know) nothing you can do on the boat except going down the elevator, making that part completely redundant. Why not just teleport you to the correct place?
That's another thing the original got right. You either flew where you wanted to go or teleported directly.

Oxxidation posted:

It's all completely optional and unnecessary which only makes its presence even stranger.

Thank goodness. I miss having small, charming quests like getting furniture for your sewer home.

EDIT: I have to say that reviewers complaining about the opening blew it way out of proportion! I took it very slow and talked to everyone, and I think it was perhaps 20 minutes total before I got her powers back.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 6, 2017

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
While I may not have fully understood every detail of its plot, the ending to Final Fantasy 15 was extraordinarily satisfying.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bombadilillo posted:

Maybe that's why people liked borderlands? Its real light hearted and different. Hell I loved it and I cant stand the franchise otherwise.

To each his own I guess. Police dramas are all the same formula every time and people still watch the hell out of them.

Game of Thrones telltale actually had some huge decisions that DO matter for your story and the sequel. Even though they boil down to some binary choices in the end.

I think they are different enough.

Borderlands was probably the best one I played since TWD season 1. I don't think I loved it as much as some people but it was good. Really none of the TT stuff I have played is that bad in the story department except GOT, which I just hated despite loving the show. It was so dull.

My problems with telltale at this point. in list form.

1.I really don't like that every game has the same art direction and frankly it's not very good.
2.Those really boring segments where you are slowly walking around a small area trying to get the story to push forward feel like a thin facade to convince you that you are playing a game.
3.Always Janky as hell
4.choice doesn't matter much and it's really transparent
5. Their pricing is loving stupid. There is nothing dumber than buying a Telltale season pass on day 1 or even worse a single episode. They seem intent on screwing anyone who really wants to support their games early.
6. Enough of the licensed poo poo. Do something original. it's getting exhausting .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think Telltale never made a single big fuckup but they've been so unambitious for so long it's hard to get excited. It doesn't help that they still do the erratic update schedule despite that.