Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
I wonder if the Dragon Age Keep is gonna apply to Dreadwolf at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The premise of a game where you can make massive decisions in game 1 that affect the game world of game 3 is flawed from the start. Its the equivalent of stuffing 3 games with 300 games worth of content and only allowing you to follow one storyline at a time. It was an impossible promise that mass effect and dragon age could never have fulfilled.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

They could've if they'd been smart about it, paring things down to providing mutually exclusive paths in ways that limited the amount of major changes that could carry forward across games. Beyond that, simple things like people remembering if you helped them or not are fairly easy to do. The question is whether it's worth it or not. I think so, but I doubt this thread represents a majority of game players

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Skippy McPants posted:

I'm all for bashing Bioware for their flaws, past and present, but in their defense, this might actually be impossible to do at the level and scale of production Bioware games operate(d) at.

Like, people will regularly comment that each Mass Effect funnels nearly all of your choices into a narrow range of possible outcomes to keep the status quo intact between installments, but I can't think of a triple-A game that does a better job at creating an illusion of choice across two, let alone three games.

the problem with mass effect is that they actually did make your choices matter, but you never would know it in me3 unless you played through all of the games and in radically different ways each time. then on top of that because I bet most really enfranchised players played more or less full completionist runs in each game they ended up with what felt like cop outs in me3 because being a completionist in the earlier games almost always gave you the objective best outcome in every situation in me3. so it felt like your choices didnt matter because the game never forces you to choose anything on me3, when in actuality this was the result of your choices. because of that you'll never get the chance to realize for example that the genophage plays out extremely differently depending on not just your choices in that mission but also what happened to mordin/wrex/eve in the earlier games.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

poisonpill posted:

They could've if they'd been smart about it, paring things down to providing mutually exclusive paths in ways that limited the amount of major changes that could carry forward across games. Beyond that, simple things like people remembering if you helped them or not are fairly easy to do. The question is whether it's worth it or not. I think so, but I doubt this thread represents a majority of game players

There were parts where they just made weird decisions. Like at the end of Dragon Age 2, you have the option to leave Anders if you've romanced him and you part on good terms. In Dragon Age Inquisition they completely cut this and Hawke doesn't acknowledge this at all, even though it's only a piece of dialogue that would have been easy to record. :psyduck: It's loving nuts and it's so disrespectful to the player that Bioware just doesn't care about their own games.

I can understand them having to funnel major plot points I guess but it's such a backhanded slap to the player. "Hey we put these choices in that added flavor and personality to your playthrough. Next game we'll just erase them and act like we never made them teehee~"

They need to gently caress off with that

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HIJK posted:

There were parts where they just made weird decisions. Like at the end of Dragon Age 2, you have the option to leave Anders if you've romanced him and you part on good terms. In Dragon Age Inquisition they completely cut this and Hawke doesn't acknowledge this at all, even though it's only a piece of dialogue that would have been easy to record. :psyduck: It's loving nuts and it's so disrespectful to the player that Bioware just doesn't care about their own games.

I can understand them having to funnel major plot points I guess but it's such a backhanded slap to the player. "Hey we put these choices in that added flavor and personality to your playthrough. Next game we'll just erase them and act like we never made them teehee~"

major DAO/DA2/DAI spoilers for the new player
The choice in the Fade, between a Warden or Hawke, was very easy for me, even though Alistair was my Warden, because the Hawke in DAI was so completely not my Hawke. All that whining about blood magic when I was all for it in DA2.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

NikkolasKing posted:

major DAO/DA2/DAI spoilers for the new player
The choice in the Fade, between a Warden or Hawke, was very easy for me, even though Alistair was my Warden, because the Hawke in DAI was so completely not my Hawke. All that whining about blood magic when I was all for it in DA2.

i hated da2 cause i preordered it and independently discovered the maps were recycled so it was barely a decision for me

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HIJK posted:

Bioware completely lost me with this in Inquisition where, if you played an elf of either type in Origins and chose the ending to improve the lives of the elves, Alistair or Anora just pop up to say yeah no that happened for a few weeks then people got pissy and so they appeased the nobles and put the elves right back into turbo oppression.

Why should I get invested in trying to make this world a better place if you're just going to override it in another game or two because you're still wanking over Game of Thrones?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I loved inquisition despite everything but yeah, it's bizarre that they spent so long cramming in a stupid amount of side content (to the point that you have zero real need to go to several of the gigantic areas if you're just sticking to the main plot) but then obviously ran out of time and threw together the most rushed, half arsed ending. All that build up and Corypheus just appears, gets smashed, dies in about five minutes.

Like, would it not have been preferable to cut forbidden oasis* etc and spend that time working on a proper ending, idk.

*Don't even get me started on this. Going through all the trouble of collecting every shard and that's the payoff? Easily up there in my top ten biggest wet farts in videogames, and it takes so much grinding for the privilege.

I read an article about inquisition's development a while back where they basically admitted that the whole process was a disorganised clusterfuck of individual devs doing whatever the hell for most of the cycle, then a frantic scramble to somehow tie it all together in the last few weeks. It's a miracle it came out as decent as it did considering, but knowing that makes a lot of the game make much more sense, and you wonder how much better it could have been if they'd actually had some discipline and a coherent plan when they were making it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Always wondered if more games should add more power scaling to final bosses as you do more side quests.

Oh you spent time training in the temples? Sure while you’re doing that the boss just found some enchanted weapons.

I think people who get very anxious about ‘time limits’ might freak out though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

ApplesandOranges posted:

Always wondered if more games should add more power scaling to final bosses as you do more side quests.

Oh you spent time training in the temples? Sure while you’re doing that the boss just found some enchanted weapons.

I think people who get very anxious about ‘time limits’ might freak out though.

I’m never a fan of that approach. If I spend time getting more experience than the campaign requires, then I deserve to feel like a badass. And if I needed a bigger challenge, then I increase the difficulty.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

"The boss was training the entire time" is a cute idea but it ultimately comes down to punishing you for enjoying and engaging with the game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The trick is design a boss that focuses on execution instead of raw numbers, though I'm not entirely sure what that looks like in DAI's combat system to be fair. Also DAI balance is all out of wack anyway where a person using a crafted weapon vs dropped weapons is doing at least twice-thrice as much damage, if not more.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

I'm shocked there wasn't an attack on Skyhold, to be honest. Do your best to protect your people while also dealing with Corypheus, maybe he gets stronger if you choose to save people or something I dunno. Instead you kick his rear end politically and materially all game and then kick his actual rear end.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Sankara posted:

I'm shocked there wasn't an attack on Skyhold, to be honest. Do your best to protect your people while also dealing with Corypheus, maybe he gets stronger if you choose to save people or something I dunno. Instead you kick his rear end politically and materially all game and then kick his actual rear end.

Yeah I think they should have had Cory attack Skyhold, lose, and then unleash his desperate plan to find the Illuvian.

Trespasser makes all the events of Inquisition flow a lot better though so Cory having one moment and then being a pushover feels less bad with that in mind

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I don't even really need the final boss to be super tough, I just want it to be part of a well thought out ending that appropriately reflects the investment you've put into getting there.* Inquisition's ending was just absurdly simplistic and abrupt - go to place, bad guy is here! Hit bad guy till he falls over. OK, well done, world is saved, congrats, go have a cup of tea and an early night. Bit of a let down after you've spent a hundred hours dicking about to get to that moment, all while said bad guy is built up as this near godlike entity barely anyone can hope to stand up to!

*I think a nice little touch in inquisition for example would be having additional support with either the final boss or the level leading up to him available depending on the inquisition's strength and who you have committed to helping you. So, for example, in addition to general inquisition soldiers based on overall strength you see the chargers turning up, but if you sacrificed them you might instead see a few qunari squads. The exact mix would be pretty unique and would reflect your playthrough, which would be very cool even if it was mostly just for the aesthetic and didn't have a huge impact on the difficulty. I actually like the idea that it would though - Corypheus being a pushover if you've successfully built a strong united front against him would be very thematically appropriate, and if you had the baseline difficulty be very high it would give people reason to care about the side content (while also opening the door to some goofy 'no allies' style challenges).

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 10:37 on May 20, 2024

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

The crazy thing is that they already did a fantastic Corypheus fight that was relatively challenging even for a cracked out party and was suitably built up and epic in the DA2 DLC. It actually had boss mechanics like a real video game.

All they had to do was tweak that fight and it would have been a decent finale. I agree that the real reason is that you hit the "end the game" button and then it ends like 5 minutes later though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nihilarian posted:

"The boss was training the entire time" is a cute idea but it ultimately comes down to punishing you for enjoying and engaging with the game.

a more challenging and engaging fight is a reward, not a punishment

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

SirSamVimes posted:

For a certain kind of player.

Some people play RPGs for reasons other than challenging mechanical gameplay.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Nihilarian posted:

Just play on easy

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I do find it funny how Corypheus just effortlessly lifted all of Haven into the sky for the final fight, why didn't he do this to Skyhold beforehand?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

He is very, very, very dumb. Like, in every interaction you have with him, he comes across as someone's doddering old uncle who's barely holding it together.

Just a walking chump of a villain.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ultimately the problem with the story of the leader of the inquisition fighting against the armies of chaos is that it can't be fully realized without some kind of a grand strategic layer a la the crusade system in Wrath of the Righteous. Which would have been soul crushingly god-awful, just as it was in Wrath of the Righteous. You can't win.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

The solution is to do what they did with DA2 and tell stories without world-ending stakes. I will never understand the obsession nearly every RPG has with making the PC some great savior.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

goblin week posted:

Just play on easy
just play on hard

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I think a boss getting harder for you taking your time in a game isnt a punishment, but a reward for enjoying the game so much that you get a more interesting combat encounter as a treat

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The boss should just be interesting to begin with.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

SirSamVimes posted:

I cannot disagree with this more. If I wanted to play something like Elden Ring, I would just go play Elden Ring.

Imagining that kind of boss fight in Dragon Age just sounds loving miserable, and would completely kill any interest I had in ever replaying the game.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

FoolyCharged posted:

The boss should just be interesting to begin with.

This would be ideal. But I can count on one hand the number of final bosses in RPG that weren't kinda piss.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm imagining getting to the final boss, getting my poo poo rocked, backing off and doing sidequests to power up and then coming back and getting rocked again because the final boss got stronger while i did

Skippy McPants posted:

This would be ideal. But I can count on one hand the npumber of final bosses in RPG that weren't kinda piss.
if you dont like most rpg final bosses i do not know why you would trust rpg designers to make a good final boss fight and then lock it behind an arbitrary requirement

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dragon Age Inquisition has this weird horseshoe difficulty curve where the hardest point in the game is your very first dragon, after which point you'll be so rolling in OP crafted gear that you'll easily annihilate everything else the game has to offer.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
I don't think Corypheus wasn't memorable because his damage or hitpoints numbers weren't big enough. It's because he barely existed in the story.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Yes. You go to gently caress around across the continent, and then somehow, Corypheus returned

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

Dragon Age Inquisition has this weird horseshoe difficulty curve where the hardest point in the game is your very first dragon, after which point you'll be so rolling in OP crafted gear that you'll easily annihilate everything else the game has to offer.

This is a lot of open-world games. The devs have to balance for the critical path, so players who go everywhere and do everything always end up OP as gently caress, even on the harder difficulties.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Ultimately the problem with the story of the leader of the inquisition fighting against the armies of chaos is that it can't be fully realized without some kind of a grand strategic layer a la the crusade system in Wrath of the Righteous. Which would have been soul crushingly god-awful, just as it was in Wrath of the Righteous. You can't win.

I have tried to beat Wrath of the Righteous like 5 times, and every single time I lose steam at the drat crusade system.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Yes. You go to gently caress around across the continent, and then somehow, Corypheus returned

Dragon Age also has a stakes problem. One of my favorite things about DA 2 is that it decreases the scale. It's story works because it's about interpersonal stories in one city.

I would love for a DA game to be specifically about like an adventuring company taking jobs in various locations.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

Raygereio posted:

I don't think Corypheus wasn't memorable because his damage or hitpoints numbers weren't big enough. It's because he barely existed in the story.

Corypheus comes across in his few appearances as if you can hear the writers behind him still frantically bickering about exactly what his deal should be.

"Heaven is empty so I'm going to take God's place" is a great motivation, but somehow they couldn't think of any interesting way for their villain to try and achieve this goal other than Macguffin-hunting and turning people into red rock monsters.

They clearly wanted to break away from darkspawn as the main antagonists, but then, gently caress it, let's give him an archdemon anyway. Archdemons show up whenever we need them to.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I played the entire game on hard and felt it was a good but reasonable challenge. Until the final boss off the ice dlc, that guy was tough as nails. I just couldn't beat him so I dropped to normal

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Shard posted:

Dragon Age also has a stakes problem. One of my favorite things about DA 2 is that it decreases the scale. It's story works because it's about interpersonal stories in one city.

I would love for a DA game to be specifically about like an adventuring company taking jobs in various locations.

so basically trails in the sky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Cythereal posted:

For a certain kind of player.

Some people play RPGs for reasons other than challenging mechanical gameplay.

Sometimes* breeding chocobos breaks immersion, y'know?

*all the time