Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

live with fruit posted:

Hosmer's problem wasn't just that he sucked but that he was a bum. He went on record saying that he wasn't going to work on his swing and that if the team didn't like that, his playing time would just have to reflect it. And then he cried and soured the clubhouse when the team tried to reflect it. And it's not like he grew up to be an rear end in a top hat. He infamously picked on Eno Sarris when he was still young.
specifically he hit the ball very hard but on the ground and steadfastly refused to change his approach to hit in the air more

This was right around the time guys like Justin Turner and Max Muncy were transforming their game by making similar adjustments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
I gave the malort a taste and uhhhh yeah it's bad but it's hardly the worst thing in the world

e: it tastes extremely watered down, there's like a hint of badness behind an otherwise mostly bland drink

Intruder fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Feb 21, 2024

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Its Rinaldo posted:

The reverse psychology will not avail you, flame of Udun

while I appreciate your skepticism, it used to result in Horrible Tourist Face like a good 60% of the time. Now people are just confused.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

bawfuls posted:

specifically he hit the ball very hard but on the ground and steadfastly refused to change his approach to hit in the air more

This was right around the time guys like Justin Turner and Max Muncy were transforming their game by making similar adjustments.

The first guy I always think about with the launch angle and/or pull side revolution is Jose Bautista. Dude went from a middling all-fields hitter to the best power bat in baseball. His six-year peak is pretty insane.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's difficult to overstate how big an effect the juiced balls had on baseball, the whole launch angle "revolution" was directly influenced by how insane those baseballs were. Now that they've toned them down it hopefully means guys aren't being told to only hit the ball in the air.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

bawfuls posted:

Reminds me of the legend where Cobb supposedly decided he was gonna hit for homeruns just to show he could, jacked 5 in a two game span, then returned to his dinky singles hitting/hit and runs/base stealing

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Bregor posted:

Ah, it's those famous intangibles Scott Boras was referring to!

Joking aside, that is spot-on about Hosmer and I remember reading the Eno story back in the day. I have no idea what Chapman's clubhouse persona is and frankly don't care that much. It comes down to me thinking he's going to be Just A Guy over the term of his next contract.

Speaking of shitheads...

https://x.com/awfulannouncing/status/1760364292518682681?s=20

Yes, "keep a leash on" Daniel Murphy seems like a good idea but maybe not hiring him in the first place was a better one :v:

gonna assume he'll be mysteriously double-booked on Pride Night

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Traxis posted:

Is wearing a garter belt under your see-through pants a uniform code violation?

Rocky Horror Pitcher Show

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Intruder posted:

Reminds me of the legend where Cobb supposedly decided he was gonna hit for homeruns just to show he could, jacked 5 in a two game span, then returned to his dinky singles hitting/hit and runs/base stealing
This was because nobody back then purposely hit for power. It wasn’t a thing. Then players like Babe Ruth came around and showed that oh yeah, you could do both.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

elentar posted:

Thread title

Bregor
May 31, 2013

elentar posted:

:thurman:

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The hot new metric is VPL, apparently.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

elentar posted:

:laffo:

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Sydin posted:

https://twitter.com/MarcCarig/status/1759998971169128781

Radical new CBA strategy by the league: make the uniforms so loving bad the union is willing to make concessions for them to be fixed.

https://twitter.com/matttomic/status/1760185976167580047?s=20

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

https://twitter.com/Dodgers/status/1760344759020007782?s=20

Bregor
May 31, 2013

I'm sure there will be a lot of Dodger hate/jealousy in SAS in the coming months and years but Goddamn it I still love Shohei

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

:lol: same excuse he used in 1990 and the Sox haven't been all that competitive for the 34 years after.

https://twitter.com/CrainsChicago/status/1760435839023120521

Squall
Mar 10, 2010

"...whatever."

Niwrad posted:

:lol: same excuse he used in 1990 and the Sox haven't been all that competitive for the 34 years after.

https://twitter.com/CrainsChicago/status/1760435839023120521

They did win the World Series that one time.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Ippei stepping out of the shot. I wish them nothing but happiness. :negative:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Bregor posted:

I'm sure there will be a lot of Dodger hate/jealousy in SAS in the coming months and years but Goddamn it I still love Shohei

It's easy to like Shohei and hate the Dodgers. Look, I'm doing it now.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

bees x1000 posted:

Ippei stepping out of the shot. I wish them nothing but happiness. :negative:

:hotpickle:

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Alright, final Creedpost incoming.

Full Circle

1. Overcome – This is kind of interesting. The guitar work sounds kind of like a worse Zakk Wylde, which I don’t hate. It felt like a perfectly forgettable radio rock song until Scott Stapp started rapping.
2. Bread of Shame – It turns out that this song is not, in fact, about what happens when I go to Olive Garden. Instead, it’s about debasing yourself in exchange for fame, which I’m sure Scott Stapp is very familiar with. This album seems to be a lot heavier sounding than the last couple.
3. A Thousand Faces – Just as I mentioned that the album is heavier than usual, we’re back in power ballad land. Though this is far from their worst of this type of song.
4. Suddenly

Creed posted:

I have no strength at all
I've been hit with a loss
So suddenly my world falls apart
This is how I felt when Altuve hit that game winning homer in game 5 of the ALCS. But as Scott Stapp and the Rangers teach us, these feelings can be overcome.
5. Rain – In what may be a reference to the biblical flood, Stapp expresses hope that the rain will wash away the troubles of the past and that the sun will bring a fresh start. Or maybe it’s just about rain idk. Interestingly, there are way more guitar solos on this album than the others.
6. Away in Silence – Another generic ballad, this time it’s begging a romantic partner not to leave. *googles if Scott Stapp is divorced* Huh, only divorced once.
7. Fear – A charitable reading of this song is that it’s about overcoming the evil that society instills within us. A less charitable reading is that it’s about ignoring the lamestream media. It’s an okay song as far as Creed goes.
8. On My Sleeve – Openly being yourself can be pretty painful, especially if yourself is Scott Stapp.
9. Full Circle – This has a kind of southern rock feel to it, maybe with a little bit of swing, so it’s kind of a departure from the formula. Lyrical themes are pretty similar to Bread of Shame.
10. Time – No Creed song should ever be longer than 4 minutes. It’s an overlong ballad about losing yourself in the passage of time, something I am becoming acutely familiar with as this song goes on.
11. Good Fight – This has another rap verse lol. The end is in sight. But have I fought the good fight?
12. The Song You Sing – Lyrically this feels like a greatest hits medley of all the things Creed keeps going back to: looking in the mirror, “What’s wrong with the world today?”, implications of evangelism. It’s a fitting final song.

And with that, my journey is mercifully at an end. I honestly think this album is the least bad of the four. Maybe the time apart let them save up some of their better ideas. I think the biggest shift is in the guitar work. The riffs are cleaner and there’s more solos. It’s not good or anything but there’s worse stuff out there. I do not intend to revisit Creed anytime soon.

Anyway, spring training is starting. Back to baseball. I hope the Rangers can sign Jordan Montgomery. That would be cool.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

until Scott Stapp started rapping

:stonk:

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I do not intend to revisit Creed anytime soon.

Thank you for your service :patriot:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the write ups that was fun.

I did listen to snippets of some Creed songs during this venture and there if there is one word to describe their music I would say "formulaic". Every song sounds pretty much the same.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I received threats for bringing my bluetooth speaker to pickup night and putting Creed on repeat

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Players should boycott jerseys and play nude

and covered in oil

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Intruder posted:

I received threats for bringing my bluetooth speaker to pickup night and putting Creed on repeat

Harsh, but fair

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Players should boycott jerseys and play nude

and covered in oil

Amazing post/username combo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
ugh mets

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/Brooks_Gate/status/1760437110522212452

Giants :stare:

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

So happy Anthopolous got fired so the Jays could focus on developping their prospects

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Chapman carrying a lot of weight for the As there.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Wow that's covering the period where Zaidi came over from the Dodgers and was supposed to modernize the Giants drafting and development too. Hugely damning. 37.4 of the Cubs total 39.2 comes from Happ, Schwarber, and Ian. Not that I'm complaining, hitting well on 3/10 firsts becoming above average regulars is actually not bad imo and Shaw/Horton are coming off a ton of helium that could see them reach the bigs this season.

Genuinely shocked it's not the Angels in last place, their farm is loving dismal.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

It seems weird to give the Padres credit for Turner considering he was barely in their system for a year before he got traded to the Nats.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

howe_sam posted:

It seems weird to give the Padres credit for Turner considering he was barely in their system for a year before he got traded to the Nats.
It's just ranking teams on drafting, not the whole picture of player development.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The fact this is first round only skews things a lot imo.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

howe_sam posted:

The Padres have been extremely confusing since I started following them in any capacity (about 2009.)

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Well Played Mauer posted:

I didn't even notice that at first yeah.

It makes sense as a sort of specific axis along which to measure teambuilding. This list is sort of asking the question, "who's good at picking among the group of players everyone agrees are promising?"

That's different from "who's good at finding overlooked diamonds in the rough" which is also different from "who's good at getting the most out of the players they did select" or, evaluating players once they're in a team's system, etc etc.

I think these are all related but somewhat distinct skillsets for teams, and different organizations are better are some parts than others.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

Sydin posted:

Wow that's covering the period where Zaidi came over from the Dodgers and was supposed to modernize the Giants drafting and development too. Hugely damning. 37.4 of the Cubs total 39.2 comes from Happ, Schwarber, and Ian. Not that I'm complaining, hitting well on 3/10 firsts becoming above average regulars is actually not bad imo and Shaw/Horton are coming off a ton of helium that could see them reach the bigs this season.

Genuinely shocked it's not the Angels in last place, their farm is loving dismal.

So they started the clock right after the Kris Bryant draft, lol. I'm sure the Yankees would like to juice those numbers with Judge (I'm assuming compensatory picks count) and likewise the ChiSox and TA7.

Anyway the Angels are funny. They have a smattering of low upside collegiate picks with a few prep outfielders sprinkled in. Hey maybe Jo Adell and Jordyn Adams will surpass everyone on that list someday! :v: The one that really stings for them is 2019, they drafted someone named Will Wilson, now languishing in the Giants system. With the next pick Arizona took Corbin Carroll, and four picks after that Seattle took George Kirby. Oops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Well Played Mauer posted:

"Last ten years" is kind of a whack window too considering most first rounders still probably take four or five years to make the majors