Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Viper915 posted:

The app is only $10 on mobile compared to $19 on steam, which is par for the course for board game adaptations, although always frustrating.

Wait, what the gently caress?

Actually, I just checked: Root did the same thing. $15 on Steam, $10 on the app. And Sagrada is 10 on Steam, 7 on Google play. Small World is 10 on Steam, 6 on Google Play. It's a consipracy! I'm gonna blow the lid off the whole thing.

Actually, it looks like the take for Google and Apple was reduced to only 15% for the price when sales are below 1 million units, then goes up to 30% which is what Steam charges regardless. But those policies are seemingly somewhat new, so that can't be all of it. Maybe it's just that most app buyers probably don't want to pay more than $10, even though a video game is expensive to produce when it's not crammed full of microtransactions, which I imagine board gamers are considerably more allergic to than your average app-game drone. So, maybe the steam price is actually what they want to charge, plus 30% to satisfy GabeN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It is absolutely market pressures, yeah. People expect to pay more money for steam games (when not on super sale) and less for mobile games.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I don't have an (android) tablet, so paying for a mobile version at reduced cost makes sense if I have to suffer on a miniscule 6.3" screen. Seems the board games on steam don't go on sale very often, though.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

FulsomFrank posted:

This is what drives me insane about TTS. As neat as it is the inability to see anything without constantly scrolling all over the place is absolutely maddening and gives me motion sickness.

I feel the same way. Does not work for me at all.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
TTS really needs a flat 2d mode.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Bottom Liner posted:

It's called Vassal.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah but TTS is easy to develop for, to the point that anybody can do it, whereas Vassal...

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
That is literally the opposite of my experience.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Mr. Squishy posted:

That is literally the opposite of my experience.

Interesting. Nearly everyone I know who is developing games is developing them on TTS and not Vassal. I found Vassal's interface to be ridiculously hard to understand vs TTS. Of course I prefer to play live anyway which I have managed to do of late.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Has anyone managed to squeeze a game or two of Unfathomable in and is willing to give a quick elevator-review? I kept wanting to pick up BSG but I'm not in love with the theme, so I thought this might be a solid substitute. I just sold Nemesis so I'm hoping this would be a better group objective/hidden role/backstabby sort of game.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Bottom Liner posted:

Press P.

You can also mouse over and press M for magnifying glass, and use control shift 12345 to set board areas to auto visit.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jcam posted:

Has anyone managed to squeeze a game or two of Unfathomable in and is willing to give a quick elevator-review? I kept wanting to pick up BSG but I'm not in love with the theme, so I thought this might be a solid substitute. I just sold Nemesis so I'm hoping this would be a better group objective/hidden role/backstabby sort of game.

I wouldn't expect to see anything until at least mid-October as global shipping has caused delays getting it out.

Afaik Unfathomable is just a revised ruleset of BSG skinned around C'thulu.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Is there a goon discord/group of interested people for playing games on TTS? That's my current problem, I have these games and when I bring up TTS I usually get reactions of derision that it's "not the same"

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Jcam posted:

Guessing you didnt play BSG ever? Here’s a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDsPIjJdSxY

From a longtime BSG player: this is pretty much a copy of BSG with a few changes and incorporation of some of the expansion stuff. Some of the changes from BSG are interesting. BSG was the best heavier game implementation of traitor games out there (filler/light stuff aside), but I dont know any comparison to more recent games like The Thing and its various implementations.

I’m going to pick it up when its available, it should be the new king. I’m not sure how some of the rule changes will pan out. Things I have an eye on:
Travelling no longer wipes the board, but there is an incremental wipe as you travel
Revealed traitors stay on the board
OPG or Feats seem to be randomly dealt?
No centurion equivalent (unless deep ones inside the ship are harder to kill/doom track)

I’m sure there will be a revitalization of forums games of Unfathomable once we know all the components and rules, forums BSG was pretty popular till we all burned out on it but its been a few years

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Fellis posted:

Guessing you didnt play BSG ever? Here’s a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDsPIjJdSxY

From a longtime BSG player: this is pretty much a copy of BSG with a few changes and incorporation of some of the expansion stuff. Some of the changes from BSG are interesting. BSG was the best heavier game implementation of traitor games out there (filler/light stuff aside), but I dont know any comparison to more recent games like The Thing and its various implementations.

I’m going to pick it up when its available, it should be the new king. I’m not sure how some of the rule changes will pan out. Things I have an eye on:
Travelling no longer wipes the board, but there is an incremental wipe as you travel
Revealed traitors stay on the board
OPG or Feats seem to be randomly dealt?
No centurion equivalent (unless deep ones inside the ship are harder to kill/doom track)

I’m sure there will be a revitalization of forums games of Unfathomable once we know all the components and rules, forums BSG was pretty popular till we all burned out on it but its been a few years

Thanks for this. I've had my eye on it ever since its announcement and hope it becomes a regular part of our game night. The price is actually reasonable too, all things considered.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Thanks for the info, I was just curious because my store locally is expecting a copy Friday and I might snatch it up (unless it is smoke and mirrors and doesn’t get delivered). I really think I’d like the mechanics of BSG but I’m just not a fan of the license so I never bothered.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Is there a goon discord/group of interested people for playing games on TTS? That's my current problem, I have these games and when I bring up TTS I usually get reactions of derision that it's "not the same"

I'm in a few different discords for TTS games, but the best one I've come across is TTSClub. Fairly large and active regardless of timezone, and IME the number of good experiences well outnumber the duds.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

JoeRules posted:

I'm in a few different discords for TTS games, but the best one I've come across is TTSClub. Fairly large and active regardless of timezone, and IME the number of good experiences well outnumber the duds.

Thanks for that. I just got VeilWraith in today, so I'll try and post about that later.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5VQUDpK9Iw

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I feel my willpower waning and soon I will end up purchasing Flamme Rouge and expansions. There is absolutely no room on my shelf, but...bikes!

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

Golden Bee posted:

Press P.

You can also mouse over and press M for magnifying glass, and use control shift 12345 to set board areas to auto visit.

It is amazing what pressing P alone did for me. Thanks for this, may try to jam more soon!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Morpheus posted:

I feel my willpower waning and soon I will end up purchasing Flamme Rouge and expansions. There is absolutely no room on my shelf, but...bikes!

I will help by saying its really fun. Its quick and easy and after the first game everyone will 'get' it and need to play again.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah Flamme Rogue is great. The first expansion is good but not needed. Skip the second.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I can never remember if Flamme Rouge or Leader 1 is the bike game you want

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SUSD's review of Descent is pretty great about all that is wrong with apps + big boxes + mini bloat for a game that costs $250 AUD

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Dang, did FFG not learn any of the right lessons from their past games?

Mansions of Madness 2e got it right, they hosed it up with Journeys in Middle-Earth, did they swing and miss again?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Real shot in the dark, but does anyone have a DGT time cube they'd be willing to sell me? It seems to be the best thing for doing multiplayer time tracking. drat things are discontinued and sold out everywhere

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

The Eyes Have It posted:

Dang, did FFG not learn any of the right lessons from their past games?

Mansions of Madness 2e got it right, they hosed it up with Journeys in Middle-Earth, did they swing and miss again?

Well, here's the magic moment in an overly-long video (like all videos) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9rOxJ4XBFOo&t=1190s

He basically says he spent way more time assembling rooms and placing monsters than he ever did thinking about how to defeat those monsters.

No matter what weapon or cool upgrade you get or new monster you face, you're going to be doing exactly the same thing: walk up to them and hit them twice per turn until they fall down. The way he describes it, that's about all there is to the mechanics of the game.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The Eyes Have It posted:

No matter what weapon or cool upgrade you get or new monster you face, you're going to be doing exactly the same thing: walk up to them and hit them twice per turn until they fall down. The way he describes it, that's about all there is to the mechanics of the game.

This is all editions of Descent, tbh, it's just that removing the player Overlord makes it even more obvious.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Who playtests a game, knows that it's going to essentially boil down to "Move and attack twice" and then releases it to the general public.

And then hands SUSD a review copy

:munch:

Ojetor posted:

This is all editions of Descent, tbh, it's just that removing the player Overlord makes it even more obvious.

Feeling like the 1 Vs Many component was probably the most interesting thing about Descent and stripping it out in favour for an app was the worst decision.

Speaking of 1 Vs Many, any fan of Fury of Dracula/hidden movement should checkout Beast over on KS atm
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/327718895/beast-4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkAtjEnYz-U

Artwork is loving gorgeous as well

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
There's a reason people were pretty hyped over Gloomhaven's combat system, a dungeon crawler that requires you to think about your actions instead of just walking up and rolling dice to hit enemies was a serious improvement over the status quo.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

No Pun Included loved descent though right?

And SUSD have loved much dumber games than D3scent lol.

This post is in no way me endorsing the game.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I've only played one game of the new Descent, but the combat system is much more involved than previous editions. You could spend every round moving and attacking twice, I suppose, but a player who's using all the ins and outs of the fatigue and card-flipping systems would be a lot more effective.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Jabor posted:

There's a reason people were pretty hyped over Gloomhaven's combat system, a dungeon crawler that requires you to think about your actions instead of just walking up and rolling dice to hit enemies was a serious improvement over the status quo.

Right. I really like dungeon crawlers / tactical combat games but so many of them degenerate to "see enemy, run to close (or stay back for ranged attacks) and wail on them until they fall over." You could perhaps criticise GHs combat system, but you have to pace yourself, not get overwhelmed, think about placement.

Like every game of Imperial Assault descended into a huge brawl of figures milling about until one side crumbled.

nonathlon fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Oct 1, 2021

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Bottom Liner posted:

No Pun Included loved descent though right?

Iirc they liked it, but had pretty much the same criticisms - way too easy, no challenge, not a lot of game.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Infinitum posted:

Feeling like the 1 Vs Many component was probably the most interesting thing about Descent and stripping it out in favour for an app was the worst decision.

The app they released for 2nd edition was really solid and made the game co-op. It was minimalist in a way they haven't managed to pull off again and let the core game play remain on the board with all necessary information easily in view of all players.

I feel like every time they iterate on their app games they take all the wrong lessons. I keep saying it doesn't have to suck but drat does FFG insist on providing evidence to the contrary.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Bottom Liner posted:

Yeah Flamme Rogue is great. The first expansion is good but not needed. Skip the second.

I don't...wait so you're saying....don't get all the expansions for a game??? I don't ... sorry I don't think I understand, we're talking about games right?

(I'm some weirdo completionist when it comes to this stuff)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Maybe it's just my dumb brain but Veilwraith seems a lot more complicated than I initially thought for a sp game.

I also tried the digital version of one deck dungeon and it was very confusing. Could be having a moment, though.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013
I am also working through being a weirdo completionist. I have realized that most expansions are terrible and make the games actively worse. Either the game is good as is and the expansions are trying to cash in on the brand, or the game has a problem and the expansions help mitigate the problem a bit. Some exceptions of course, but I rarely found that I was satisfied once I owned the entirety of a game.

I also tried One Deck Dungeon digitally while skipping the tutorial. It basically seemed like you rolled dice, transmuted those dice into other dice occasionally, and then try to apply those to fulfill thresholds on the monster cards you flip. Any thresholds you did not meet dealt damage to their respective pools. Seemed okay for a filler, but not something I need to try again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Yeah, the dice puzzle of One Deck Dungeon is just okay. The dungeon/roguelike aspect is also just okay. I sold the expansion and gave the base game to a friend.