Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

the most important thing that quake 2 did was establish that anybody remotely creative had already left id

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

0 rows returned posted:

the most important thing that quake 2 did was establish that anybody remotely creative had already left id

How can you say that when they still had the Inventor of Deathmatching, Tim Willits :v:

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Turin Turambar posted:

For me, Quake 2 was my first game where I played with the wasd + mouse combo, so back then moving around, aiming and controlling the recoil was a bit too much, and the machine gun always went to the sky.

I still didn't understand the importance of strafing, so my control scheme was something like mouse aim, m1 for fire, m2 for walk forward, z for walk back, c for crouch and space for jump. I forget what I had x bound as, maybe my custom script to reduce the FOV and lower mouse sensitivity as a makeshift sniper scope?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quake 2 is very mediocre and about the only thing I can praise is you can pop up your current objective at will.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
I'll say the enemies that shoot at you after they've been downed was a nice feature.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

That's what makes Unreal so much better--yes, its gameplay has problems but its environmental design, atmosphere, music, and mood vastly eclipse Quake II and most modern boomer shooters. There is a great deal of variety to the environments and assets yet it still feels all of one piece.

And Quake II didn't just have dull environment design but dull music too. It's just a groove metal riff salad with the same post-Pantera noise blaster guitar tone throughout. It conveys no feeling or atmosphere at all; it's just heavy for the sake of being heavy. Quake II is a game without a heart.

Gonna file this with the "half life is bad, actually" discourse.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I'm gonna cross-post my take from another thread that was doing Quake 2 music discussion because yeah, I agree with Woolie.

I thought that Quake 2s soundtrack was mediocre derivative metal that didn't take it far enough. Quake 1 had a great soundtrack, but it was much more ambient, atmospheric, and altogether a different thing. Doom 1 and 2 had what were basically MIDI covers of Slayer, Pantera, and Metallica changed just enough to not get sued. As far as games with metal soundtracks go, I wouldn't throw Quake 2 all the way into the trash with Prince of Persia: Warrior Within and it's Godsmack-packing soundtrack, but Quake 2 isn't memorable or great.

I like metal in games, but by Quake 2 they hadn't figured out how to take it far enough. It was few years later and much higher budget, but Halo 2 used a lot of metal better. Hell, it's not a shooter, but Sonic Adventure 2 had a completely unhinged, tongue in cheek metal soundtrack that's memorable enough that people are still recording bad covers of it for fun: https://sonicisreal.bandcamp.com/track/city-escape. Memorable, and games are supposed to be fun and stupid.

I guess the other reason I'm not so hot on the Quake 2 soundtrack is that the tracker music soundtracks that shipped with Unreal, UT99, and Deus Ex were incredible.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

I had a blast with Quake II on the N64

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Good soup! posted:

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
I actually just finished Q2 (again), and it was definitely a lot more "meh" than I remember.

The SSG is just too good and outshines everything, too much ammo in general, and enemies are too weak / AI is too easy manipulated (but hey, this is a game that is over [b]25/[b] loving years old).

Now I'm playing the 2nd xpac (Ground Zero), and oof it ain't easy

boof
Jun 3, 2001
I'll say this about Quake 2, I'll hear that "COMPUTER..UPDATED" sound effect in my head until the day I die.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I hate when people are recording Quake II footage and they don't double tap F1 to dismiss the objective icon and notification sound

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

boof posted:

I'll say this about Quake 2, I'll hear that "COMPUTER..UPDATED" sound effect in my head until the day I die.

PUTO

TRESPASSA

GRUUU

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Good soup! posted:

Same here. Played it with a projector too. Loved the map screen.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

boof posted:

ACQUIRING

ACQUIRING

edit: I really like the Q2 soundtrack. It's obviously not as good as Q1's, but then it's also not made by Nine Inch Nails. I guess I'm not particularly into modern metal, so don't hear the issues that others have raised about it being mediocre for what it is.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Mar 17, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

boof posted:

I had a wireless headset when those things still required a joystick-sized transmitter doohickey and you had tune in to the wireless signal on the headset itself. One day I tuned in to someone else's signal, a person that was clearly playing Quake 2. I found that neat, so I listened for a while.

Eventually I got tired of it, mostly because this person NEVER checked their objectives and I heard that computer voice every 10 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzqQXQiSc_E

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

When the Expansion Pak kicks in and tightens up the graphics

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Man the credits museum in Ultrakill is crazy as hell. I found a kitty cat

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

i found armboy, look at him go

throw all the developer plushies from the credits halls into the trash for a surprise

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Cultic just kicked out an update as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQViHsQUpLU

It adds a new survival mode map, updates most of the enemy sprites and adds options for CoD-style directional indicators on hazards like dynamite and an ambient light slider.

Milo and POTUS posted:

repiv posted:

i found armboy, look at him go

throw all the developer plushies from the credits halls into the trash for a surprise

There are a lot of weird secrets in the credits level, suitably. The ones I've seen around:

1.) KITR under one of the staircases
2.) Throw lots of dev plushies into trashcans for a fight...
3.) Check the button behind Big Dave's nameplate for a flight...
4.) Physics-enabled beachball very high up in the main atrium
5.) Who's in the bathroom's occupied stall?
6.) A R M B O Y on the roof
7.) Salad's portrait is destructible
8.) Carry Mandalore's plushie around and you might start hearing things...

The Kins fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 17, 2023

dookieblunt
Jan 6, 2023

shoot the core!

Those are not hot dogs. I refuse to believe they are hot dogs

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

The Kins posted:

Cultic just kicked out an update as well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQViHsQUpLU

It adds a new survival mode map, updates most of the enemy sprites and adds options for CoD-style directional indicators on hazards like dynamite and an ambient light slider.

There are a lot of weird secrets in the credits level, suitably. The ones I've seen around:

1.) KITR under one of the staircases
2.) Throw lots of dev plushies into trashcans for a fight...
3.) Check the button behind Big Dave's nameplate for a flight...
4.) Physics-enabled beachball very high up in the main atrium
5.) Who's in the bathroom's occupied stall?
6.) A R M B O Y on the roof
7.) Salad's portrait is destructible
8.) Carry Mandalore's plushie around and you might start hearing things...

Have you found the little man in the boat the guy on the island in the fishing map yet?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

Have you found the little man in the boat the guy on the island in the fishing map yet?

i don't think he exists, if you noclip around it just teleports you back if you get far from the main island

there are a couple of other secrets in that map though

at the bottom of the well and at the top of the waterfall

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

repiv posted:

i don't think he exists, if you noclip around it just teleports you back if you get far from the main island

there are a couple of other secrets in that map though

at the bottom of the well and at the top of the waterfall

How do you get there? They took away my weapons :(

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Just officially announced after a year or two of being unofficially announced: Amid Evil VR arrives on Steam and the Quest Store on 4/20. Which is apt, considering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK6s0Pn5MDM

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

How do you get there? They took away my weapons :(

to the top of the waterfall? if you stand in it and keep slam jumping from the apex you gain height each time

or just do the konami code and noclip up there

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

repiv posted:

to the top of the waterfall? if you stand in it and keep slam jumping from the apex you gain height each time

or just do the konami code and noclip up there

I can't see poo poo when im in it so no clue if I was gaining or not. Doesn't matter, I just flew up there.

The Kins posted:

Just officially announced after a year or two of being unofficially announced: Amid Evil VR arrives on Steam and the Quest Store on 4/20. Which is apt, considering.

Gonna laugh if this is a breakout hit. Idk enough about vr popularity but it'd be really funny if it became a giant seller. Looks p good though, to be expected. AE is definitely the best looking of the New Blood games

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
Q2 has the same issues as Doom3, hangs around far too long given the limited enemy roster and only has two gears. The gunner and berserker were cool but you'd fight them one at a time.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Szymanski posted:

Q2 has the same issues as Doom3, hangs around far too long given the limited enemy roster and only has two gears. The gunner and berserker were cool but you'd fight them one at a time.

Some of the custom maps available really show off what absolute bastards Gunners can be. The level design of the vanilla Quake II campaign always has one hand tied behind its back.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I have more fun playing Quake 2 than Unreal, but almost everything about Unreal is better save for the act of actually playing it. Captivating setting, graphics that I think still hold up (in the context of blocky 1998 polygonal worlds at least!), atmospheric tracker music, inventive and varied armory, and some of the limpest combat I think I've ever seen in a well-loved and influential FPS. Quake 2's biggest problem for me is how long it takes to swap between guns, but once you've swapped, those guns pack punch and are immediately more satisfying than anything Unreal has.

Not to say that it was unsalvageable - I find UT99 way way way more fun, and the armory is basically untouched (other than the Dispersion Pistol being tossed in favor of that weird piston thing). I even like it far more than Q3A, which always felt kind of off to me for some reason I can't quite put my finger on. (Still good fun in its own right, mind you.)

I haven't played Half-Life seriously in long enough to properly comment on where it truly slots in here, but I think it does enough right to slot above both Q2 and Unreal, such that you can easily see why it got and kept its reputation. Unreal did the whole "seamless world with scripted events and environmental storytelling" thing first, though, and debatably better (though the lack of friendly NPCs that converse with you in ways other than "hey follow me to this obvious encounter with an enemy that will instantly kill me - I'll reward you if I get out of this unscarred (or unSkaarjed :rimshot:)" does hold it back a bit).

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

The Kins posted:

Day 1 purchase, looks great.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh my god if you spawn a cat in sandbox it fights enemies for you

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I read that Supplice is coming in EA in April 6th, but I wonder what that means. First episode of three first, the rest later?

https://twitter.com/SuppliceGame/status/1636839018519199751
https://twitter.com/HYPERSTRANGE/status/1633120335917613059

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Oh great, another thing to wishlist. Fantastic

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

The Kins posted:

That's cool (and p funny that they've finally had to provide an answer to "how do you, like, hold the Aeternum), but where's Black Labyrinth??

ClonedPickle
Apr 23, 2010

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

but where's Black Labyrinth??

https://twitter.com/DaveOshry/status/1636847260213587968?s=20

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Hmmm Prodeus is on sale. I'd been waiting to see if they give an option for a better/more traditional respawn system but frankly there hasn't been and evidence that they're planning to update the game at all (last and only minor patch was in September) so maybe I just get it now?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think if they ever had a plan to implement a better respawn system they would have done so in the two years it was in early access and everyone was begging them to please fix it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Normally I'm one to scoff at claims that one small feature/mechanic can 'totally ruin' an otherwise enjoyable game, but Prodeus' save system does a bloody good run at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The biggest problem with Duke Nukem World Tour's developer Commentary is that there isn't more of it.

Mordja posted:

Hmmm Prodeus is on sale. I'd been waiting to see if they give an option for a better/more traditional respawn system but frankly there hasn't been and evidence that they're planning to update the game at all (last and only minor patch was in September) so maybe I just get it now?

Its been on game pass for ages. Its not changing at this point, and the system is goofy and papers over design issues in the game in a fail forward but not satisfyingly way.

It also makes some of the user maps insanely punishing since they have to choose to have a respawn point so some dont and gently caress you if you die to an ambush