Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Dameius posted:

There is a whole subset of techbros, more Xers and older but some younger ones too, who have strong opinions on the age of consent and other libertarian ideas. Just look at the forums pre Obama.

When you grew up as a younger Gen X/older Millennial "Smart kid" the easiest way to politically awaken was as the smart guy in the room who sees that both sides are basically the same, equally far from the truth, or both.Whether that manifests as libertarian, authoritarian fanboy (left- or right- veneer), or South Park centrist depends on your social group, personal goals, favorite writers/media sources, and who you want to piss off.

Since any of those starts building a lot of inner contradictions over time the ones that don't fall totally into insular holes tend to age out of it. If they have compassion under it all, generally to the left whether more liberal or leftist. Otherwise, into a paleoconservative, whether full on culture war or "doesn't like to talk about politics."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Killer robot posted:

When you grew up as a younger Gen X/older Millennial "Smart kid" the easiest way to politically awaken was as the smart guy in the room who sees that both sides are basically the same, equally far from the truth, or both.Whether that manifests as libertarian, authoritarian fanboy (left- or right- veneer), or South Park centrist depends on your social group, personal goals, favorite writers/media sources, and who you want to piss off.

Since any of those starts building a lot of inner contradictions over time the ones that don't fall totally into insular holes tend to age out of it. If they have compassion under it all, generally to the left whether more liberal or leftist. Otherwise, into a paleoconservative, whether full on culture war or "doesn't like to talk about politics."

Just look at the forums post Obama.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Guavanaut posted:

Extremely specific liberties strike again.

Nonono, you don't get it, true liberty is the ability to follow the laws of Leviticus down to the letter (except the ones we don't like of course) and get punished with fines or death if you don't! It's okay, though, you need a really deep level of theological knowledge to understand this, it's unsurprising you don't, now get in the back of the sheriff's car so the local magistrate can mete the proper sentence for gender rebellion.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

https://twitter.com/LibertyCappy/status/1768857224267346409?t=cMxGsG9q_LWQFAR8U7qvlg&s=19

It's a lovely Twitter meme that they decided needed to interrupt my scrolling, but it wouldn't look out of place as a Facebook comment section, so have some early morning transphobia.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
There was a truck on my street the other day with a "gently caress you feelings" decal that had me thinking about it for too long.

What are we saying here, exactly? Isn't is just basically "I'm a rude rear end in a top hat all the time?"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BiggerBoat posted:

There was a truck on my street the other day with a "gently caress you feelings" decal that had me thinking about it for too long.

What are we saying here, exactly? Isn't is just basically "I'm a rude rear end in a top hat all the time?"

In their minds it's "You libtards take offense to everything and I'm not going to change the way I live my life because it upsets you!

Now, if you'll excuse me I have to rush home to get on Twitter to bitch about the local library having Drag Queen storytelling"

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

BiggerBoat posted:

I know you're probably just missing an "r," but I've definitely had days that fit what you wrote.

"gently caress you, feelings, I'm trying to get through my day here." :smith:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

After The War posted:

I know you're probably just missing an "r," but I've definitely had days that fit what you wrote.

"gently caress you, feelings, I'm trying to get through my day here." :smith:

Ok, I have days like that myself but I still make an effort not to be rude or mean to people. With stickers like the one I mentioned, I think it's like "gently caress you if you get annoyed or offended at me being a huge rear end in a top hat" and, worse, probably going out of their way to be as offensive as possible since "triggering the libs" is a conservative pastime.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
"gently caress your feelings" is supposed to imply that feelings are weak and irrational and the insecure truck chud uses logic and reason to form opinions

But that's a lie because they're willfully ignorant and of course everything they say is hypocritical so when they get triggered at the sight of a rainbow and get mad then their feelings are valid

It's the same brain dead poo poo every time

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
The two acceptable feelings are angry and horny.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

It's the same sort of logic as "Facts don't care about your feelings"; "I'm a being of pure logic and reason, therefore any conclusion I come to/anything I say that you're offended by is your weakness, not mine". It's the same kind of "I just tell harsh truths" bullshit.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

"gently caress your feelings" is supposed to imply that feelings are weak and irrational and the insecure truck chud uses logic and reason to form opinions

But that's a lie because they're willfully ignorant and of course everything they say is hypocritical so when they get triggered at the sight of a rainbow and get mad then their feelings are valid

Exactly. These people are the most easily triggered folks I know

Try taking the lord's name in vain, dropping an f-bomb in front of a lady, not standing for the national anthem, skipping grace before eating, not saying "Merry Christmas" loud or often enough in December, playing hip hop music too loud, showing gay people on TV or pop stars dancing and dressing suggestively.

In which case, the individual becomes quite offended and requires you to care very deeply about their feelings.

The list of poo poo that sets these tough guys off is endless.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
calm_hitler.jpg

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

cat botherer posted:

The two acceptable feelings are angry and horny.

By this metric, my feelings are acceptable pretty much all the time.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BiggerBoat posted:

Try taking the lord's name in vain, dropping an f-bomb in front of a lady, not standing for the national anthem, skipping grace before eating, not saying "Merry Christmas" loud or often enough in December, playing hip hop music too loud, showing gay people on TV or pop stars dancing and dressing suggestively.

In which case, the individual becomes quite offended and requires you to care very deeply about their feelings.

This is mostly true but they absolutely don't say grace before dinner for the most part. It's all theatrics, respectful God fearing online but actually putting in the effort? Nah

Edit for context - my dad posts about Jesus a few times a week but hasn't been in a church in 30 years

Medullah fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 16, 2024

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

DarkHorse posted:

calm_hitler.jpg

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

Elephant Ambush posted:

It's the same brain dead poo poo every time
This is also extremely applicable to conservative views on gender. OK, Mr Chud, you say that you don't care what I think my gender is, because "gently caress your feelings" and "gently caress 'my truth' ". But then, why should I care what you think my gender is? Facts don't care about my feelings, but they do care about yours?

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
I'm pretty sure that viral video of those women crying and shouting in the street after Trump won in 2016 just permanently made a significant portion of the American population lovely, horrible people for the rest of their lives. They're always gonna be chasing that high now.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Neito posted:

Lmao.

Someone in the Hacker News thread in YOSPOS posted someone from HN saying something like "Lead isn't poison, it's actually an essential nutrient" and I just don't know what's real anymore.

Found it.

Anotheroneagain on HN posted:

Anotheroneagain 3 hours ago [flagged] [dead] | parent | context | flag | vouch | favorite | on: The Dawn of Cultural Schizophrenia (2023)

Yes, we live in a schizophrenic society. No it isn't caused by "knowing too many stories", or any other such nonsense (which is itself a symptom of the schizophrenia).
It's caused by the removal of lead. Lead is not a toxin, but is essential for the brain.
The problem is that lead deficient schizophrenics are sadists, who see no connection between their sadism and the hostile reactions that they encounter. The only explanation that they could find was that people suffered brain damage and outbursts of senseless agression.
Their sadism is also why they seem to have an advantage in some tests like the sally and ann task - it seems implied to the sadistic child that ann moved the ball to enjoy sally's struggle to find it, a much simpler problem than a normal child who needs to solve a problem where the reason is not stated.

I have absolutely no loving idea what he's talking about with regard to the Sally-Ann test, which as far as I can tell is solely about whether someone has sufficient theory of mind to understand that people have other perspectives than their own.

Neito fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Mar 16, 2024

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

The human body uses all kinds of otherwise toxic elements in really tiny amounts, but lead is one that's literally unhealthy in any amount.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Every day I am harassed by psychopathic thallium avoiders.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Blarghalt posted:

The human body uses all kinds of otherwise toxic elements in really tiny amounts, but lead is one that's literally unhealthy in any amount.

It's actually weird because lead is really common and incredibly useful, you'd expect evolutionarily it would be tolerated

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

BiggerBoat posted:

My mother came to visit a few years back, before COVID, and my son who was maybe 12-13 at the time said "God drat" about something and she loving flipped. Started throwing a tantrum and wanted to go home (about 2,000 miles and another week before her flight was scheduled), and has been rude as poo poo to him ever since. Could she have simply asked him not to do that? Not without being a massive oval office about it, I guess.

She absolutely gripes about all of those other things, too. Once she jumped on the Trump bandwagon I severed completely and it's been the best move for my (and my family's) mental health. What really burns me up about it is that Trump looks and acts just loving like the rear end in a top hat she married and inflicted on our lives for 25 years, the same rear end in a top hat we had to force out of our home at gunpoint, the same rear end in a top hat she claims sexually abused her and was extremely verbally, emotionally and physically abusive to us both. And when I pointed this out she was like "Yeah, well...." and claimed that her staying with him was my fault because I didn't want to move away from my friends and everything I owned. When I was 8. I'm 46 now, and she's carrying a grudge against my 8 year old self still.

Ultimately, I think these people just like being abused.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Blarghalt posted:

Then why is it, every time I eat a heaping spoonful of uranium, my body turns it into lead?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

I'm pretty sure that viral video of those women crying and shouting in the street after Trump won in 2016 just permanently made a significant portion of the American population lovely, horrible people for the rest of their lives. They're always gonna be chasing that high now.

They may only have to wait 6 months

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Safety Dance posted:

Then why is it, every time I eat a heaping spoonful of uranium, my body turns it into lead?

That's because otherwise you'd have eaten enough calories to make the giant pilsbury doughboy from ghostbusters look small in comparison.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Not sure why, but this conversation reminded me of something else related to how these people don't know what the gently caress they're ever talking about and how much they misunderstand.

Song lyrics.

So many of the tracks they worship, cheer spontaneously for and play on the 4th of July or at political rallies don't mean what they think they do. They just hear a single line or the chorus.

Songs like "Born in the USA", "Fortunate Son", "Pink Houses" and "Killing in the Name" come to mind.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

Dirk the Average posted:

That's because otherwise you'd have eaten enough calories to make the giant pilsbury doughboy from ghostbusters look small in comparison.
the gently caress?

THE gently caress???

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

InsertPotPun posted:

the gently caress?

THE gently caress???

My bad, I forgot it was actually that Michigan Tire mascot.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Dirk the Average posted:

My bad, I forgot it was actually that Michigan Tire mascot.

morothar
Dec 21, 2005

TremorX posted:

My mother came to visit a few years back, before COVID, and my son who was maybe 12-13 at the time said "God drat" about something and she loving flipped. Started throwing a tantrum and wanted to go home (about 2,000 miles and another week before her flight was scheduled), and has been rude as poo poo to him ever since. Could she have simply asked him not to do that? Not without being a massive oval office about it, I guess.

She absolutely gripes about all of those other things, too. Once she jumped on the Trump bandwagon I severed completely and it's been the best move for my (and my family's) mental health. What really burns me up about it is that Trump looks and acts just loving like the rear end in a top hat she married and inflicted on our lives for 25 years, the same rear end in a top hat we had to force out of our home at gunpoint, the same rear end in a top hat she claims sexually abused her and was extremely verbally, emotionally and physically abusive to us both. And when I pointed this out she was like "Yeah, well...." and claimed that her staying with him was my fault because I didn't want to move away from my friends and everything I owned. When I was 8. I'm 46 now, and she's carrying a grudge against my 8 year old self still.

Ultimately, I think these people just like being abused.

That’s just the type of people they are. I’m the same age as you, and the parallels are painful.

My mother stopped interacting with our then 2-year old daughter because she (our daughter) downright didn’t like her, and the way my mother imposed her ideas of how she should behave. Sulked for a week in the basement granny flat, out of 2.5 weeks that she came over to CO from Europe.

Apparently, it’s also my fault that she and my dad only got divorced after 40 years, despite my moving literal countries about the halfway mark there, and breaking off all contact for a few years.

Ofc, she’s voting for the anti-immigrant and anti-women nazi party in Germany these days, despite being an immigrant herself. Will cut off her literal nose just to spite brown people.

Wonderful person.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

Not sure why, but this conversation reminded me of something else related to how these people don't know what the gently caress they're ever talking about and how much they misunderstand.

Song lyrics.

So many of the tracks they worship, cheer spontaneously for and play on the 4th of July or at political rallies don't mean what they think they do. They just hear a single line or the chorus.

Songs like "Born in the USA", "Fortunate Son", "Pink Houses" and "Killing in the Name" come to mind.

Modern conservatism relies on everybody involved having essentially 0 media literacy in any capacity whether it is kayfabe for the individual person or not. And for most of them, it isn't an act.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Guavanaut posted:

Every day I am harassed by psychopathic thallium avoiders.

I loved their early 2000s CD.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Dameius posted:

Modern conservatism relies on everybody involved having essentially 0 media literacy in any capacity whether it is kayfabe for the individual person or not. And for most of them, it isn't an act.

True.

And what I meant was that all they hear in the songs I listed, in order, are:

"born in the USA"

"ooooo, that red white and blue"

"aint that america"

and, of course, "gently caress you, I won't do what you tell me"

Completely missing the artist's point on all these tracks.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

BiggerBoat posted:

True.

And what I meant was that all they hear in the songs I listed, in order, are:

"born in the USA"

"ooooo, that red white and blue"

"aint that america"

and, of course, "gently caress you, I won't do what you tell me"

Completely missing the artist's point on all these tracks.

Yeah, I was expanding not disagreeing. It'd be impressively hilarious at how bad they get if not for all the consequences.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

A cousin, who was born in late 1993:

quote:

Not Arguing With Nobody Born AFTER 1996. Y’all can’t even write in cursive 🥴

Boomer really is a state of mind.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

A cousin, who was born in late 1993:

Boomer really is a state of mind.

My 2nd grader learned cursive at school.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

"Nobody can read cursive anymore!"

The cursive:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Cursive is useful for one's own notes, and rapidly becomes more impenetrable to other people than any cipher. Otherwise it could die entirely and I'd be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

TremorX posted:

"Nobody can read cursive anymore!"

The cursive: