Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Wait, did you have to use a walkthrough to find all the level secrets, or to actually progress the game?

Cuz my man, Duke3d is no puzzler, heck its not even no Hexen. You just... shoot things, cause explosions, and then go flip switches that cause explosions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I remember a lot of the levels in episode 2 being extremely confusing with backtracking, and have a vague memory of being a kid and thinking the hidden keycard under the bar in Red Light District was absolute bullshit.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
give the PSOne exclusive Duke 3D levels a shot if you want to see some real cryptic poo poo.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Boltgun looks pretty cool but I'm disappointed that, just like the other modern 2.5D shooters, it's loaded with shaders and particle effects. Give me some proper VGA graphics, give me all the '90s!

And on the same note, kudos to Terminal Velocity Boosted Edition for retaining the 256 color renderer, even if they butchered the save system to a single checkpoint/quicksave slot.

E: Also, Ultrasmurfs AGAIN?!?! How many games are these goobers going to get? Give me some Imperial Fists, Space Wolves, Grey Knights, or Deathwatch.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 22, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Baron von Eevl posted:

I remember a lot of the levels in episode 2 being extremely confusing with backtracking, and have a vague memory of being a kid and thinking the hidden keycard under the bar in Red Light District was absolute bullshit.

That sounds like something a developer would think is perfectly obvious to everyone and then a kid who’s never been in a bar comes along.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
It was a few months ago but I remember the Babeland shooting gallery not triggering the first time I completed it and missing a keycard or two somewhere. I probably could have just run around for a while but I didn't.

I would have to use a guide to get all the secrets because I'm pretty bad at finding secrets, but I generally don't worry about those unless I'm stuck at 2hp or something.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Woolie Wool posted:

Boltgun looks pretty cool but I'm disappointed that, just like the other modern 2.5D shooters, it's loaded with shaders and particle effects. Give me some proper VGA graphics, give me all the '90s!

And on the same note, kudos to Terminal Velocity Boosted Edition for retaining the 256 color renderer, even if they butchered the save system to a single checkpoint/quicksave slot.

E: Also, Ultrasmurfs AGAIN?!?! How many games are these goobers going to get? Give me some Imperial Fists, Space Wolves, Grey Knights, or Deathwatch.

Those are for the sequels obviously!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean the only two games I can think of where you actually play the SMurfs are this and Space Marine. I don't think they even have any real presence on the strategy side of things.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

I don't think they even have any real presence on the strategy side of things.
You play them in the original Chaos Gate, but no one really remembers that one.

e: Also the really bland portable one, Squad Leader or something.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

No, he's right. That babeland part is really stupid. I went to youtube also. RR is on another level though

Who are you talking about? Civvie? He actually liked It's Impossible iirr

No, no the dev commentary. You can hear them joking about the over reliance on the switch flipping puzzles, how dark Randy made the opening, and a few other bits. Its honestly a pretty fun level overall, though and their own commentary ending with them criticizing something then pausing and saying "maybe dont look at my map later" cause they did the same thing was great.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Chaos Gate had some good ideas going on, such as simultaneous actions, automatic weapon wind-up mechanics, etc.

I'm more disappointed that Boltgun doesn't hasn't mentioned yet that they have a gimmick install that fits on a 3.5" floppy.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Yeah, I'm done with ultrakill. When act 3 drops I'll boot it up and run through it on harmless just to say I got my money's worth and finished it but after that I don't think I'm gonna bother. I can't really justify pouring hundreds of hours into something I don't enjoy playing. I've beaten Blood on well done and it's less bullshit than this by far. To anyone who soldiers on, good luck.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
in this clip i was running around trying to get the enemies to fight one another so it doesn't make the combat look *great* but here's a peek at a map I haven't shown before

https://twitter.com/Zane_Rocks_36/status/1638671239354138624

Hasturtium
May 19, 2020

And that year, for his birthday, he got six pink ping pong balls in a little pink backpack.

Gaspy Conana posted:

in this clip i was running around trying to get the enemies to fight one another so it doesn't make the combat look *great* but here's a peek at a map I haven't shown before

This is going to be a day one purchase for me. Thanks for sharing!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Gaspy Conana posted:

This looks fun as poo poo

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
i feel like im missing the joke w/r/t slayers x

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Seems like it's targeting the demo that loved cruelty squad.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Tim Thomas posted:

I'm sure Gaspy Corona could say it much better, but my take on it is that it's what you'd get if someone actually made a video game out of the dumb things a 90s teenager would scribble into his school notebooks. Also a spinoff of the amazing Hypnospace Outlaw, which is not remotely an FPS but probably right up the alley of anyone posting in this thread.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Tim Thomas posted:

Zane is from Hypnospace Outlaw where he makes Slayers X comics that GOT GAME. This is a spinoff shooter that Zane's made.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Tim Thomas posted:

the premise is "what if some stuck-in-his-hometown dude in his late 30s bought a winning scratch-off lotto ticket and used the money to finish* a game he designed as a 16 year old in a school notebook"

the maps are based on a combo of his local haunts and dingy fictional sci-fi llocales. there's a self-insert fantasy story somewhere tonally between The Matrix, Dragonball Z, and Tails Gets Trolled. the singer of his favorite nu-metal band is his sensei, etc.

there's not much of a joke to get from my perspective because my aim is to make a good game but I understand it simply not appealing to people

*i say "finish" because the game is a total conversion mod of Zane's favorire 1995 FPS Kataklysm. he technically started it back then and you'll find remnants of his amateur maps hanging around.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
the line read on "your dad's stupid" made me laugh. looking forward to it!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Some goons from the CineD Aliens thread and I are rallying up other goons to play some multiplayer AvPClassic this Friday at 9PM EST. The game is currently $1.25 on Steam for another 15 or so hours, so :getin:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Fine I'll frickin buy Hypnospace Outlaw!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Apparently Atari is buying Night Dive which is neat but also how does Atari have money???

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Barudak posted:

Apparently Atari is buying Night Dive which is neat but also how does Atari have money???

No, nonononononono, please God what the gently caress

Barudak
May 7, 2007

catlord posted:

No, nonononononono, please God what the gently caress

Lets just think about Blood 3

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

rip night dive

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Barudak posted:

Lets just think about Blood 3

But Blood is part of the reason I hate Atari!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
From what I understand, the Atari of now isn't the Atari of, like, 5 years ago. The current head of the company is relatively young and has a deep respect for the company's legacy and is trying to make it more than an IP-hoarding shell company.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Mordja posted:

From what I understand, the Atari of now isn't the Atari of, like, 5 years ago. The current head of the company is relatively young and has a deep respect for the company's legacy and is trying to make it more than an IP-hoarding shell company.

Current Atari is the one behind the MobyGames redesign that broke a bunch of things/hid information, and also has new plans for Web3 and blockchain currency! This is a new crypto currency after Atari's last failed attempt at making a crypto currency.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Mordja posted:

dbz budokai 4 coming soon?!

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
The one silver lining I see in this is maybe Night Dive may get the keys back to Blood and can do a bit more patching.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

The one silver lining I see in this is maybe Night Dive may get the keys back to Blood and can do a bit more patching.
https://twitter.com/pripyatbeast/status/1638727687736008705

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I want to hear Stephan Weyte tell me about the blockchain.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
Alright Nightdive, Deer Hunter 2005 let's go

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Congrats to Albert Martin, the creator of the RE4 HD Project for getting hired at Nightdive!

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1638476721467846658
Well the timing on this was unfortunate

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away

Gaspy Conana posted:

the premise is "what if some stuck-in-his-hometown dude in his late 30s bought a winning scratch-off lotto ticket and used the money to finish* a game he designed as a 16 year old in a school notebook"

the maps are based on a combo of his local haunts and dingy fictional sci-fi llocales. there's a self-insert fantasy story somewhere tonally between The Matrix, Dragonball Z, and Tails Gets Trolled. the singer of his favorite nu-metal band is his sensei, etc.

there's not much of a joke to get from my perspective because my aim is to make a good game but I understand it simply not appealing to people

*i say "finish" because the game is a total conversion mod of Zane's favorire 1995 FPS Kataklysm. he technically started it back then and you'll find remnants of his amateur maps hanging around.

lmao that rules, i now understand the bit

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Shadow Hog posted:

Well the timing on this was unfortunate

lmao I didn't even notice that

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
Atari purchasing Nightdive is not a bad thing, and there won't be anything changing outside of things like being able to hire more staff, a thing we've needed for a while now to be frank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Mordja posted:

I think they're succeeding, the recent Atari 50th Anniversary Collection is probably the best retro game collection ever made, as I will keep loudly insisting to anyone who will listen to me for more than 30 seconds.