Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Though just imagine if they went full tongue-in-cheek with the storytelling and just had fun with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

BoosterDuck posted:

id stopped making good games when romero left until doom 16

and quake 3 is just quake multiplayer with more graphics so it doesn't count

doom 3 and rage were both good. certainly not without faults, but they were really good at what they did.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
As one of the few who will stan for Rage 2, I still think the original Rage is an utterly forgettable and bland game; in my opinion the NPC animations (i.e. the way they react to being hit) are one of the only noteworthy things about it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I liked the exploding toy cars.

e: VV I always felt Rage couldn't decide if it wanted to be Fallout or Borderlands and just decided to take the most boring parts of both.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Mar 26, 2023

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Rage 2 is such a god damned fun shooter with abilities that's stuck in one of the most boring games imaginable.

I guess the Rage IP is just always going to be "incredibly bland post-apocalyptic setting"

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Deakul posted:

Rage 2 is such a god damned fun shooter with abilities that's stuck in one of the most boring games imaginable.

I guess the Rage IP is just always going to be "incredibly bland post-apocalyptic setting"
all of the good of it comes from iD and all of the bad of it comes from avalanche it seems like. at least to me

still, a lot more fun than the original rage, even though the original rage had tighter-designed mission areas

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

shoeberto posted:

Who even owns the IP now?

It would be wild to get a Wolf:TNO/Doom 16/Shadow Warrior style modern interpretation. Probs won't ever happen.

My idea has always been to get Flying Wild Hog to do it, since it springboards very easily from their previous games.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

As one of the few who will stan for Rage 2, I still think the original Rage is an utterly forgettable and bland game; in my opinion the NPC animations (i.e. the way they react to being hit) are one of the only noteworthy things about it.

Correct on both counts :hai: there are genuine things to talk about and learn from with Rage 2's mechanics, Rage 1 is aggressively nothing

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
Daikatan doesn't work on Steam Deck after the first 15 mins or so. Thank you Gabe N

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

shoeberto posted:

Who even owns the IP now?

It would be wild to get a Wolf:TNO/Doom 16/Shadow Warrior style modern interpretation. Probs won't ever happen.

I guess Square Enix unless it was in the batch of IP they sold off to throw money at crypto.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I gave Daikatana a real go, but I had to give it up when I hit a spot where there are enemies shooting at you the moment you load into the zone, and I didn't have like, any health so I would immediately get shredded, and since it happened on an area load, it would automatically load the autosave which meant I would die instantly upon loading in. So I went to my manual save which was a bit further back, only to find it had gotten corrupted and I was so close to the end of episode 1 that I just couldn't bring myself to start again.

I liked Rage, though in all honesty the open world was so underdeveloped that they could have gotten rid of it easily enough. I thought the gunplay in that game was great though, wingsticks were fun, the mutants were admittedly fairly generic but the different factions gave them some variety. Level design was definitely fairly basic, but served its purpose well enough. Never got around to 2 though, I should do that at some point.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

catlord posted:

I gave Daikatana a real go, but I had to give it up when I hit a spot where there are enemies shooting at you the moment you load into the zone, and I didn't have like, any health so I would immediately get shredded, and since it happened on an area load, it would automatically load the autosave which meant I would die instantly upon loading in. So I went to my manual save which was a bit further back, only to find it had gotten corrupted and I was so close to the end of episode 1 that I just couldn't bring myself to start again.

My attempt at playing Daikatana went that way too. And I was even using the fan patch.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

John Murdoch posted:

My idea has always been to get Flying Wild Hog to do it, since it springboards very easily from their previous games.

Honestly yeah. Their approach to reviving Shadow Warrior is probably the best fit. Pretty graphics and solid gameplay and only just the right levels of cringe in the writing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

John Murdoch posted:

Its problems are myriad, but I still think Daikatana was genuinely ahead of its time and a remake would slap.
Crono Trigger was so good it inspired Tom Hall to make his own JRPG with the Quake 2 engine and it inspired John Romero to make his own FPS with the Quake 2 engine. Only one of those ended up being any good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1sGfz5UQmA

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the HROT dev just put out an update today adding another episode 3 level and says that the game will be released in 1.0 on either may 21, in the case of him speedrunning it, or june 22, which he says is more likely. pretty excited for it! solid game all around and episode 2 added a lot of really fun little setpieces and variety.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I thought I knew my way around weird games, but The Northern Journey got me in how weird it is. More than I thought at first.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Assepoester posted:

Crono Trigger was so good it inspired Tom Hall to make his own JRPG with the Quake 2 engine and it inspired John Romero to make his own FPS with the Quake 2 engine. Only one of those ended up being any good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1sGfz5UQmA

God that game is an unsung gem. What a wonderful little RPG.

Deathslinger
Jul 12, 2022

Tom Guycot posted:

God that game is an unsung gem. What a wonderful little RPG.
I always recommend Anachronox to anyone who is after a PC RPG, but with two caveats:

1. The first quests on Anachronox are boring and consist of endless backtracking. Stick with it until you get off the planet - it gets a lot more interesting from there.

2. Be prepared for the biggest case of blue-balls ever with the ending, since the studio went out of business and never made a sequel. :(

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Still trying to will into existence a campy 60s sci-fi style Blake Stone remake.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

The idea that people are actually hankering for more adventures of Blake Stone of all things is fascinating to me.

Godspeed though, I hope they do make that for all the Blakeheads out there. Maybe a Blake Stone doom TC.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Blake Stone was one of the few early FPSes that gave me motion sickness. It seemed like a cool game though

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Coming in multiple pages late to say that MYHOUSE.WAD is the coolest WAD I've played in ages, I went in completely blind late at night last night and had a blast.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
While Blake Stone was technologically behind, being stuck using a Wolfenstein engine with floor and ceiling textures, it did innovate in gameplay, introducing environmental hazards (that aren't just hurt floors), interactable NPCs, collectable currency, health and ammo vending machines, etc.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Yeah Blake Stone was a small taste of the interactive environments that I would become infatuated with in Duke 3D: The various "friendly" NPCs that you could interact with, vending machines, etc. For a game that probably spent less than a year in my orbit growing up (and, unlike Doom or Duke or Descent, never made a return), it weirdly stands out in my mind for some reason.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
So Epic removed all of the good Unreal games from every PC storefront, and only UT3 is coming back, with some promises of a free-to-play updated edition appearing soon. Weirdly enough, Unreal Championship 2 not only survived, but is playable in 4K on current-gen Xboxes. I played UT3 recently a bit just to confirm that it's poo poo. It's just tragic what they did with the visuals, everything is way over-processed and has the color sucked out of it. Such a let-down from UT2004.

Unreal Championship 2 is console only, and a weird dead branch of Unreal Engine 2 that got more time in the oven and really pushed the Original Xbox to its limit. They were working with 3x the polygons of UT2004, and tuned it for smaller player counts that you were more likely to be able to hit with Xbox System Link. The weirdest part of all of this is that while Unreal Championship 1 was a cash-in console port of UT2003, UC2 was its own distinct thing that clearly had a lot of effort put in. I don't understand why it never got ported to PC, given that apparently they explored it, then decided not to: https://archive.org/details/unreal-championship-2-pc.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Tom Guycot posted:

The idea that people are actually hankering for more adventures of Blake Stone of all things is fascinating to me.

Godspeed though, I hope they do make that for all the Blakeheads out there. Maybe a Blake Stone doom TC.

blake stone is the doom equivalent of asking for a playstation for christmas and getting one of these:

which is to say it owns

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Still trying to will into existence a campy 60s sci-fi style Blake Stone remake.

A Blakesploitation Game

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
HROT has updated with the first level of the final episode, along with a ballpark release date for the full game of some time between May 21st and June 22nd.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Anomalous also updated with the last batch of levels for its campaign, the final major update will be to go back to the first 10 maps and revamp them.

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256937448/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1679597255

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

One of us says this and the other jumps in to agree all the time. Come on, Apogee, there's at least two sales there for you.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

catlord posted:

episode 1 is really just irredeemably bad. a cacophonous irradiated-puke-green splash-damage-fuckfest. i genuinely believe that if it was cut entirely or replaced with a cutscene and the game just started in Greece that Daikatana would be MUCH more fondly remembered today

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Turin Turambar posted:

I thought I knew my way around weird games, but The Northern Journey got me in how weird it is. More than I thought at first.

it doesn't stop. one of the best (and worst, and therefore best) games i've played this year so far.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 hours!
I played it for a few hours and liked it but it didn't really grab me.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Tom Guycot posted:

Ok, to be clear, I'm not wholly in love with the original; it's just that someone brought up having it remade with a very silly, over the top Lost In Space vibe, and that's what I want. I just assume the Blake Stone IP could/would take that on well.

The original game was.... fine. I did enjoy going back to it more than Wolf 3D, but only because there was a bit more interactivity in the levels.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Just re-added HROT to my wishlist and will probably pick it up by the time of the next update. Stayed away from it because apparently it was a little funky on Steam Deck, but the most recent update on ProtonDB seems to suggest it plays fine there now.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

For a game that probably spent less than a year in my orbit growing up (and, unlike Doom or Duke or Descent, never made a return), it weirdly stands out in my mind for some reason.
Blake Stone is a fun one. I played the AoG shareware episode sure, but then ran across the Planet Strike WizardWorks CD for like $5, so I ended up playing that a fair bit. Although I never bothered with the rest of the AoG campaign I'm sure it was better.

The whole shareware era with its "oh I guess we'll release a commercial sequel too" thing was pretty weird. Everyone knows about Spear of Destiny and (the actually deserved of its status) DOOM II, but then you also have things like Planet Strike and Extreme Pinball.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I gave Chop Goblins a shot over the weekend and I think I agree with most other people: This guy is pretty good and should make more games!

But seriously it was a pretty good 55 minutes to play the first time and another pretty good 55 minutes to get all the achievements. The last room on the final level is a bastard even when you know there's enough wand charges to slaughter everything but it's a nice capstone to the game. For $5 I can't ask for much more.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ok, to be clear, I'm not wholly in love with the original; it's just that someone brought up having it remade with a very silly, over the top Lost In Space vibe, and that's what I want. I just assume the Blake Stone IP could/would take that on well.

The original game was.... fine. I did enjoy going back to it more than Wolf 3D, but only because there was a bit more interactivity in the levels.

I liked Blake Stone quite a bit (but I also largely liked the Spear of Destiny mission packs, so I might have a high tolerance for Wolf3D jank), but it's one of those ones where it feels like it really would have come into its own if it had come out a couple years later. Blake Stone feels like it would be right at home in the Build engine.

Plus I like the style, I watch a lot of older sci-fi and I wish those aesthetics would show up more often in games.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

This thread is Blake Stone'inig but I'm still waiting for a workable port of Prime Target :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

bbcisdabomb posted:

I gave Chop Goblins a shot over the weekend and I think I agree with most other people: This guy is pretty good and should make more games!

But seriously it was a pretty good 55 minutes to play the first time and another pretty good 55 minutes to get all the achievements. The last room on the final level is a bastard even when you know there's enough wand charges to slaughter everything but it's a nice capstone to the game. For $5 I can't ask for much more.

I thought it was boring.