Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Brekelefuw posted:

Screw the chair. Tell me about copper ore.

gently caress copper ore. Pictures of the 3k degrees hole in the backyard, please!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blacksmith
Dec 3, 2004

Brekelefuw posted:

Screw the chair. Tell me about copper ore.

Well, the first step is finding copper ore. That in itself can be a challenge, I'm not much of a geologist, so my ability to find copper ore is questionable at best. Here's the quick list of what you will need to get this done. Also I've not done this, I saw it at a demonstration so it's a bit shaky.
Also I highly suggest reading the wiki article on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copper_extraction_techniques

Iron oxide (i.e. rust, handy stuff to have on hand oddly enough. You can get it in bulk from pottery supply places).
Wood or charcoal
Sandstone or limestone slabs (you can use cinder-block or a mix of 30%clay and 70%wood ash if you don't want to buy stuff).
leaf blower or other air source.
Copper ore. You can buy this online, but I think it's better to try to find it locally and dig it out of the ground.

Also look up
http://www.unr.edu/sb204/geology/smelt.html
Good bit at the bottom for the stupid simple process, which is what was done at the demo.

Anywho, dig you a hole in the ground. About 2-3 feet.
Dig a trench leading to it, stick a pipe in it and hook that up to your air source.
Line the inside of your hole with something (sandstone, limestone, fire brick, etc)
Loosely pack the first 1' of the hole with charcoal.
Then pack about 1-2" of your copper ore.
Dust the top of your ore with the iron oxide, two good handfuls should do it.
Add some more charcoal on top of your ore.
You want the blower pointing at the copper ore. You are going to get lots of scale and oxidation, but this isn't industrial manufacturing so deal with the loss.
Fire it up.
Let it burn out.
Leave it for 12-24 hrs.
dig through to find if you had any success.
keep in mind you're looking at stuff that has about oh, 10-30% cu in it. So you're not really getting a lot out of it.

These folks screwed it up and didn't use enough ore to produce a good blister ingot. http://www.cyphertext.net/~gfish/smelting.html

Got most of the other stuff right though.

I've seen some iron smelting demos too if you want me to tell you about them.

Blacksmith
Dec 3, 2004

also look up http://tin.er.usgs.gov/mrds/
for copper deposits and old mines in your area.

Blacksmith
Dec 3, 2004

Blaster of Justice posted:

gently caress copper ore. Pictures of the 3k degrees hole in the backyard, please!

I'll see what I can do, I've got a camera again so I'll be able to post the details. I'll try to put one together tomorrow between building my table and working at the pottery studio.
I'm not promising anything, but I might be able to put something together and post it for your amusement.

I do not have a pyrometer, I judge temps by what it will burn. I can get it hot enough to burn steel so the 3k is a guestimate.
Close enough for me to be happy.

Anywho, any other questions on how to do stuff?
Let me know and I'll try to get around to em.

Also if anyone decides they want to smelt their own copper, please be aware you can add tin or zinc to get bronze or brass.

Just remeber, do this stuff enough and you will eventually get burned, it happens. If you get a minor burn (site blisters up) don't puncture the blister if you can help it, run some cold water over it (not ice) apply some antibiotic, wrap it loosely.
Anything where it smells like bacon cooking, go to the drat ER.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Blaster of Justice posted:

In 3-4 weeks I plan to re-start the construction of my iron melting crucible furnace, so that should be some fun. In the mean time, I leave you with this classic:

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Delivery McGee posted:

I got a little butane torch at Harbor Freight yesterday, and have been having fun ineffectually melting solder onto things and heating cartridge brass to crush with a tackhammer, but it's not really hot enough to do much of anything properly.
Metalworking Rule #1: Never buy gas apparatus (torch stuff) or welding equipment from Harbor Freight. Period.

Bonus: Here's a tutorial I wrote on soldering: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2905844&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post346573623

Delivery McGee posted:

I noticed that Home Depot has the standard propane BernzOmatic for $17. Would that be enough for light-duty brazing and hobbyist melting of metals, or is it only good for plumbing? Should I instead save my pennies and get an oxyacetylene rig?
The propane torches you see at HD in the plumbing isle do actually have a variety of useful purposes for metalworking. Mostly soldering. It will also be able to braze smaller pieces. I would recommend spending a tiny bit more and getting the one that has the hose so you don't have to hold the cylinder, it's alot easier to use. Also make sure you have a striker. The torch should come with one.

As far as melting metals go, you don't use a torch for that purpose... you'll need a crucible furnace which is a whole new ballgame. (For more ideas of how to maim yourself, see the 2nd post on the 1st page of this thread.)

Delivery McGee posted:

I think my grandmother still has a couple of torch heads of grandpa's that I could steal inherit*. I don't remember if I've seen the gas bottles in the shed, but if so, they're at least 40 years old, so it'd probably be a good idea to get new ones anyway, right?
Stop posting on SA and get your rear end over there and pick that poo poo up. Take some pictures and I'll be happy to identify what the equipment is and what you can do with it. The old cylinders will most likely be able to get exchanged for new ones at a welding shop.

Delivery McGee posted:

I don't even know what I'd do with a proper torch. I just like fire. Fortunately the wife is even more of a pyromaniac than I am, so this is one tool purchase I won't have to justify.
Before you buy too much equipment you really need to sit down and decide what you want to accomplish with it, so you know the best stuff to spend your $ on.

Blacksmith posted:

You want to play with fire?
Well then, go take a look at this guy's site. Read everything.
http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/
That is a good site. The forums are even better. Many talented, knowledgeable people on there. (I'm moya034 on there)

Blacksmith posted:

That reminds me, anyone want me to give a couple of recipes for things to hold hot stuff. (molds for lost wax casting, other refractory materials on the cheap, and the like).
When it comes to making homemade refractory materials for the purposes of installation in a crucible furnace (or a gas fired forge), I'm a big fan of commercially made products.

I've experimented with a variety of refractory materials for building crucible furnaces, and have found that the better results and less time involved really makes the extra $20-60 you'll spend on commercial supplies worth it.

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!
I can't seem to find it at the moment, but about a month ago I read a great article about a guy who embarked on what amounts to an art installation project to build a toaster.

From scratch.

He ran into problems early on trying to smelt iron. Forced air induction with a leafblower didn't get it hot enough, but he refused to "cheat". I think he came up with a way to get it working but I can't remember what it was.

Blacksmith
Dec 3, 2004

dv6speed posted:

When it comes to making homemade refractory materials for the purposes of installation in a crucible furnace (or a gas fired forge), I'm a big fan of commercially made products.

I've experimented with a variety of refractory materials for building crucible furnaces, and have found that the better results and less time involved really makes the extra $20-60 you'll spend on commercial supplies worth it.

I completely agree with you, most of the commercial stuff you can get is miles beyond what my backyard refractory bricks can do, but they are free. And I'm a cheap bastard, if I can get away with making it myself for free, or pay 30-60 bucks to buy it, I'm gonna make it first. Later on after I've blown a few days tinkering and getting the whole idea I *might* buy proper materials and rebuild.

Home made stuff just has the benefit of being free, you can afford to screw up with it.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Powdered Toast Man posted:

I can't seem to find it at the moment, but about a month ago I read a great article about a guy who embarked on what amounts to an art installation project to build a toaster.

From scratch.

He ran into problems early on trying to smelt iron. Forced air induction with a leafblower didn't get it hot enough, but he refused to "cheat". I think he came up with a way to get it working but I can't remember what it was.

What did he make the heating coils out of?

Blacksmith
Dec 3, 2004

http://www.thomasthwaites.com/thomas/toaster/page2.htm

I think this is the guy building the toaster.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

A microwave backyard smelter? :psyduck:

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Blacksmith posted:

I completely agree with you, most of the commercial stuff you can get is miles beyond what my backyard refractory bricks can do, but they are free. And I'm a cheap bastard, if I can get away with making it myself for free, or pay 30-60 bucks to buy it, I'm gonna make it first. Later on after I've blown a few days tinkering and getting the whole idea I *might* buy proper materials and rebuild.

Home made stuff just has the benefit of being free, you can afford to screw up with it.
There is one other problem with making alot of home made refractory type substances for different purposes. Take for example you decided to make your own non-steel crucibles for melting iron or bronze. The only homemade material that could take iron temps that would work on a crucible would be mullite. Only problem with that is the amount of fuel you would need to properly fire the mullite the first time would make it cheaper to buy a commercial crucible.

I'm also getting at the point in my life (27) that I've realized I am actually a mortal being and I only have X amount of time left. I'd rather spend the time melting metal, making patterns, or pounding on hot steel then experimenting with cheap refractories.

To quote a not so famous, but wise internet poster: "I used to spend my time to save money, but now I spend my money to save time."

Tho, I must admit, I do have my limits, like buying a $125 engine driven welding machine that I can fix up cheap instead of buying a $2000 one brand new.

Blacksmith
Dec 3, 2004

Fair enough, I suppose its a difference of opinion.
I like being able to make my materials from start to finish, makes me feel all warm and happy, but like you said, that's not for everyone.

Now then, anyone have any other topics to shift to?

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Blacksmith posted:

Now then, anyone have any other topics to shift to?

Yeah I have one.

I need to build a 3 point hitch and attach it to :siren:MY TRACTOR:siren:

Anyone have any ideas on, first, fabricating the thing, and second, attaching it to the rear end while leaving the existing drawbar intact?

If I have to I'll replace the c-shaped bar bolted directly to the bottom of the transaxle with a heavy duty wide bar that I can weld the brackets to, but I'd like to avoid that if possible. (it would probably leak gear oil like crazy if I loosened that cover)

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Slung Blade posted:

Anyone have any ideas on, first, fabricating the thing, and second, attaching it to the rear end while leaving the existing drawbar intact?

You should be able to keep all lower parts if you make something like this:

or this:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Ok, how about this: I'd like to replace that vertical U shaped part that is bolted horizontal C shaped part with a square.

Roughly the same dimensions as the U, but as tall as the differential, and secured to the top of the case using the threaded hole visible on the side, top left of the axle bellhousing, in this old picture:

Then, bolt, or maybe weld, a large bar to the bottom of this new rectangular piece (under the existing drawbar) to mount the lower arms.

Sound reasonable?

Blaster of Justice
Jan 6, 2007

by angerbot

Slung Blade posted:

Sound reasonable?

Yeah, that would probably work.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

So I found out how much my house is going to cost (way too loving much) and I think I may have to get an extra job, or start selling some of the stuff I can make.

Do you guys think my roses are good enough to sell online?

They still seem pretty amateurish to me, but I've been told by some people I'm too hard on myself :(

Powdered Toast Man
Jan 25, 2005

TOAST-A-RIFIC!!!

Slung Blade posted:

So I found out how much my house is going to cost (way too loving much) and I think I may have to get an extra job, or start selling some of the stuff I can make.

They still seem pretty amateurish to me, but I've been told by some people I'm too hard on myself :(

I think your roses look great, but I also think you would fare better in the online market if you applied your creativity to other designs. With pre-cut kits out there for making roses, it's very possible you wouldn't make much money off them.

Having worked with interior decorators in high end residential remodeling jobs, I can tell you that they go absolutely batshit loving loco for wrought iron curtain hardware and...wait for it...lighting fixtures. You wouldn't believe what you can charge for a decent-sized wall sconce. I've seen people put up a sconce that cost nearly two grand and it was honestly made-in-China junk when I looked at it closely.

Just something to think about. :)

Zquargon
May 14, 2004
I'm trying to think of something that won't earn me scorn.

Slung Blade posted:

I think that being hard on yourself is part of the trade as well... at least it has been for me.

I think your roses look great too, but I've found that people are willing to pay more for bigger things. I gave that one rose to my Mom and then two of my brothers are willing to pay for a gate each. Not even a super fancy one, so most of the work will just be tack welding. I agree with Powdered Toast Man, wrought iron work along the lines of gates, window bars, or lighting fixtures are where the money is at.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Hmm, excellent points.

I guess I'll start making some items for a portfolio of sorts before I make an sa-mart thread or join those etsy guys or something.

I need to make towel racks and toilet paper holders for my house anyway. So at least I won't lose anything if no one wants to buy them.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

My only thoughts are that I've been very unsuccessful when carrying inventory of any kind, but extremely successful with custom orders. People seem to be willing to spend a ton of money when they can get something that they feel they helped design or inspire, whereas every time I've set up shop in a trade-show and showed off what I thought were some of my best works, I barely got any attention. At least, not enough to justify the time spent sitting behind a booth to hock my wares.

When it comes to my smaller pieces, people are very quick to throw $20 to $50 at commissioned art, but I think that it's rare to see people willing to spend that kind of money on some small welded metal thing sitting on a shelf, you know?

Also, I agree that big things (by virtue of their size) are where the price sort of normalizes between commissioned work and inventory. I'm considering welding up a 20" Millenium Falcon (huge) for somebody, and I quoted out $450 to do it. They might balk at the price, but I'm pretty sure that if I decided to make it anyway and displayed it somewhere, somebody would probably still be willing to throw that kind of money at me for it. Likewise, larger pieces like light fixtures and wall-hangings likely reach that price-normalization as well - someone looking for a light fixture or wall-hanging already expects to pay big bucks for it.

jovial_cynic fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Sep 1, 2009

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.
Gentlemen,

I submit for your consideration, this fascinating website: http://opensourcemachine.org/

The website describes methods of taking retired engine blocks, some other assorted parts, and assembling accurate, functional, machine shop equipment, at little cost. This is great for developing countries or cheap bastards alike.

I have not had a chance to read the instructions in detail, but from what I've seen so far, I'm quite impressed.

Edit: http://opensourcemachine.org/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/how_to_build_a_multimachine1.pdf

AbsentMindedWelder fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Sep 10, 2009

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

... wow

That's pretty impressive. I'm going to keep reading this booklet and I might have to make one of these.

My neighbour has a bunch of old engine blocks laying around, he might be willing to let a couple go.

Thanks for that link man, this is great.

AbsentMindedWelder
Mar 26, 2003

It must be the fumes.

Slung Blade posted:

I'm going to keep reading this booklet and I might have to make one of these.

If you actually plan to build one (as do I one day) then it seems like looking at the "support" forums for the project may be a good idea: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/multimachine/

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Signed up for my annual welding class. This time it's TIG :science:

You guys been working on anything lately?

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Slung Blade posted:

My next 'non-work' project was going to be a christmas present for my little brother. I was going to turn him a nice shifter knob for his Miata, but it turns out he just bought one.

Now I have to find something else to do.

Zquargon
May 14, 2004
I'm trying to think of something that won't earn me scorn.
I've been working on another rose for my sister's birthday! :D

Her birthday was a month ago! :smith:

Dongsmith
Apr 12, 2007

CLANG THUD SPLUT

Slung Blade posted:

Signed up for my annual welding class. This time it's TIG :science:

I took a TIG class over the summer, and had a pretty good time. It makes MIG seem like nothing at all in terms of difficulty. I've also had some projects going in the blacksmith shop (coal shovel with leaf-handle, new nail header, Poorly Welded Tomahawk v2.0), but I have yet to get any pictures. Another thing to add to the List Of Things To Do That Should Get Done But Will Almost Certainly Not (Get Done, That Is).

NostrsasamaBinDamos
Jun 5, 2009
Greetings, fellow metalheads! I figure it can't be a coincidence that the day I get my pictures back from the photographer is the very same day I discover the metalworking thread, so please enjoy.

This is the most recent all-metal piece I've done. All the forming was done cold on a Di-Acro and slip-roller. Welding is TIG and the finish is powdercoated.

Gotta say though, reading about all your awesome home setups is starting to make me really sad that I graduated on time and suddenly don't have access to a metal shop anymore. :smith:

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Wow, that's really cool looking.

What were you taking in school? Welding?

Audiot
May 18, 2006
This thread is too god to die.

While doing some planning for a home theater install I came across the new Samsung LCD TV hanging kit that allows you to hang your TV like a picture. Well, I'm a cheap bastard and I'm not willing to pay Best Buy $250 for some turned 6061 and some aircraft cable.

The cone shaped parts are what will mount to the wall. They are attached with the same hollow wall anchors Samsung supplies and IIRC they are rated for 150 lbs each. There will be two just in case and the whole thing should only have a gap of about 3/4" to the wall.

Here I've mounted all the other crap onto the back of the TV.

We'll see how it works and hopefully I won't be reporting back with a hosed up TV and wall.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Beautiful work. Where did you make them?

Audiot
May 18, 2006
I made all the parts on a Sherline mill and lathe.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Day one of my TIG course. First fumbling attempts.

Some turned out ok, couple of them melted and bubbled down underneath, but not bad for a first day.

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets

Audiot posted:

I made all the parts on a Sherline mill and lathe.

I am thinking of trying to get a line of credit or loan from the bank for tools so I can start doing some work on the side, and I REALLY want a sherline cnc mill and lathe.

Is yours CNC?

Audiot
May 18, 2006
I don't have CNC, but it seems that's the way all the sherline guys are going anymore. I can't decide on a retrofit from sherline or throwing together my own. I need to just buy the stuff since it's not getting any cheaper. Maybe the next time they run the retrofit as one of their monthly specials...

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

TIG, day 2.

Horizontal, first try.

Verticals: varying degrees of lovely.

Slightly better.

Best ones of the night. One dip style, one continuous. These were both horizontal.

jovial_cynic
Aug 19, 2005

Slung Blade posted:

Best ones of the night. One dip style, one continuous. These were both horizontal.

Very nice! Looks like a row of dimes to me. :)

I can't wait to do some tig welding. I just haven't found a need that would justify the cost yet. Right now, my figurines work out just fine with the oxy/aceytlene setup, and anything bigger welds up reasonably well with my arc welder. I'm trying to see what I could get into that would require a tig welder, but I just haven't found it yet -- I can't squeeze it in throught the cost/benefit analysis filter yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cronus
Mar 9, 2003

Hello beautiful.
This...is gonna get gross.
Just wanted to say I read this thread with constant jealousy over the past few weeks. But today I got a surprise - I'll be going to the John C Campbell Folk School to take a class over the weekend called
:black101: SMASHING IRON :black101:

I've been wanting to try my hand at metalworking for a long time so hopefully it leads to an interesting new hobby! After this I'm looking around locally for some welding courses as that is pretty relevant to my project car as I have a few rust spots that need to be cut. Anyone know of any in the Atlanta area?