Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

FLX posted:

Gothic 1 is really awesome, yet after I played Morrowind, it wasn't "open" enough for me anymore. I finished G1, got Morrowind right after and never went back (even though some of my friends urged me to try G2 and 3).

Gothic 2 Gold is great, stay the gently caress away from Gothic 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Flight simulator promo for this weekend. 30% off IL-2 Sturmovik™: 1946, F/A -18A Super Hornet, Enemy Engage: Apache vs. Havoc and Enemy Engage: Comanche vs. Hokum. They're not bundled so you can buy them separate and still get the discount.

onionradish
Jul 6, 2006

That's spicy.

GreenNight posted:

Gothic 2 Gold is great, stay the gently caress away from Gothic 3.
Agreed. Anyone who recommended Gothic 3 isn't a friend.

G1 and G2 are awesome.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Are any of the games in the flight sim promo good? Been itching to play some flight games again.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

OptimusShr posted:

Are any of the games in the flight sim promo good? Been itching to play some flight games again.

IL-2 1946 is a great game, check out the thread on the forums for info. I'm not sure about the others, though.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

OptimusShr posted:

They're all pretty good, but IL-2 is a must-have.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
Just remember that you REALLY need a joystick for IL-2. It's amazing, but god help you if you try to play with a keyboard.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

IL-2 is great, but it's taken me so long to really get into it. I'm finally really starting to get the hang of it after playing it on and off for a couple of years.

To not marginalise the genre so much, these developers should really be spending substantial resources on hands-on, well-scripted, tutorials. As well there should be some flashy, easy, and exciting campaigns to get people started, then let them transition to the hardcore realistic stuff.

I want to like these games, but the steep learning curves are killer. I miss the days of Strike Commander and other "sim-lights."

Make sure you check the IL-2 thread. You need the take-off and landing tutorials at the very least. As well, it's possible to make this 8 year old game still look spectacular on a modern PC, with full wide screen resolutions. (Though the current thread doesn't really cover tweaking it that well yet.)

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Aug 17, 2009

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
Just announced on GOG Twitter Descent 1+2 is their first Hidden Gem of the Week and is 10% off.

http://www.gog.com/en/editorial/hidden_gem_of_the_week_descent_1_2/

sc0ticus
Apr 16, 2005
hey skin like a doll

teethgrinder posted:

IL-2 is great, but it's taken me so long to really get into it. I'm finally really starting to get the hang of it after playing it on and off for a couple of years.

To not marginalise the genre so much, these developers should really be spending substantial resources on hands-on, well-scripted, tutorials. As well there should be some flashy, easy, and exciting campaigns to get people started, then let them transition to the hardcore realistic stuff.

I want to like these games, but the steep learning curves are killer. I miss the days of Strike Commander and other "sim-lights."

Make sure you check the IL-2 thread. You need the take-off and landing tutorials at the very least. As well, it's possible to make this 8 year old game still look spectacular on a modern PC, with full wide screen resolutions. (Though the current thread doesn't really cover tweaking it that well yet.)

Could you tell me about how to improve the graphics? I'm having fun just taking off and landing. Can't wait till I actually learn how to play the game!

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
Regarding Fallout 2, I want this unofficial patch, right?

http://news.filefront.com/unofficial-fallout-2-patch-final-version/

Anything else?

e: What's up with this?

Grawl fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Aug 18, 2009

satin666
Jun 7, 2006

Grawl posted:

s up with this?

It's an easter egg. They never anticipated such large icons to be used.
http://thesingaporeangamer.com/blog/2009/08/02/fallout-2s-iconic-icons

and you probably want this to play in whatever resolution you want
http://nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42386

satin666 fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Aug 18, 2009

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cain's face is also in Fallout 1's icon AFAIK. It's been a while.

Can't say I had the same "OMG WTF IS THIS poo poo??" reaction as most people. I just laughed and figured it was an easter egg right off the bat.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Today they've added some more bonus content for some of the games that are already on their site. Evil Genius now has the World Domination Starter Kit, so you get a bonus henchman "Colonel Blackheart", the bonus item "Lay-Z Minion Recliner Chair", the bonus trap "the Nut Rupture Flashbang Launcher Palm Tree" and even more stuff. Jagged Alliance 2 now has a soundtrack and Disciples II has some wallpapers.

Serious Michael
Oct 13, 2007

Is only joking.
Is Giants: Citizen Kabuto as awesome as it looks?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Serious Michael posted:

By and large, yes it is.

It has a lot of charm and pretty varied game play. It also came out while I was waiting for Tribes 2 to be released and featured guys with jet packs so it kind of filled a void for me there for a while.

CAPTAIN SHIT
Mar 10, 2001

guff

Serious Michael posted:

The only real downside is that the 3rd part (Kabuto) isn't as awesome as it should be. It's good, but not awesome. But the game is definitely worth it.

For maximum goon, follow the instructions halfway down this page: http://www.applelinks.com/reviews/giants.shtml

CAPTAIN SHIT fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Aug 19, 2009

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Giants is pretty tough and some of the missions (especially the mid-game racing missions UGH) get repetitive fast. It's got a lot going for it but all the good stuff (action and cool weapons) are bogged down by the lovely stuff (repetitive base building, long and drawn out levels, RACING MISSIONS UGH).

The team did a much better job with Armed and Dangerous. Here's hoping that's up on GOG some time in the future. loving shark gun > *

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Heroes of Might and Magic II: Gold Edition and The Settlers II: Gold Edition have just been added for $10 each.

Edit: Also, Heroes of Might and Magic III: Complete Edition and Might and Magic VI: Limited Edition are coming soon.

Athletic Footjob fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Aug 20, 2009

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.
Also of note: Settlers 2 Gold Edition for $10. Considered by most to be the best Settlers game.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
GoG is amassing a pretty decent collection here. They've got a little bit of everything and I like that. So far I've been extremely pleased with the service. The only problem I've ever had is getting Evil Genius to run in Vista. I got it to run flawlessly (no crashes!) on my old XP desktop. That thing sounds like a drat helicopter taking off when I turn it on, but EG is a great game and worth the tinnitus risk.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Overwined posted:

GoG is amassing a pretty decent collection here. They've got a little bit of everything and I like that. So far I've been extremely pleased with the service. The only problem I've ever had is getting Evil Genius to run in Vista. I got it to run flawlessly (no crashes!) on my old XP desktop. That thing sounds like a drat helicopter taking off when I turn it on, but EG is a great game and worth the tinnitus risk.

Have you contacted their support about that? They may be able to help you.

Halibut Barn
May 30, 2005

help
I didn't realize until I took a second look that the M&M VI pack will actually include all of the first six M&M games. That's definitely great for anyone interested in the classic old-school CRPGs.

I'll have to pick up HOMM3 as well, as people kept recommending it as the best of the series when V came out.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Blodskur posted:

Have you contacted their support about that? They may be able to help you.

I have. They didn't. It's no big thing. Some things just aren't meant to be. I can play the game fine, just on another computer.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Halibut Barn posted:

I didn't realize until I took a second look that the M&M VI pack will actually include all of the first six M&M games. That's definitely great for anyone interested in the classic old-school CRPGs.

It'll also be nice to have a version of M&M VI that'll work in Vista without pulling teeth. IV-VI are absolutely brilliant games and for $10 it's a steal, in my opinion.

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
MM III-VI were some of my introductions to being a huge nerd about everything in my life. I got killed so many times by Mooserats in III before I figured out what I was doing. Still no idea what a mooserat is supposed to be.

Hekat
Aug 27, 2006
WAEE!
Has anyone tried Hegemonia? I remember having a demo of that and thinking it looked awesome back in the day. How does it compare to Homeworld (the grail)?

Vastakaiun
Apr 16, 2008

thedaian posted:

Also of note: Settlers 2 Gold Edition for $10. Considered by most to be the best Settlers game.

And considered by me to be the best game period. :colbert:

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009

sethsez posted:

It'll also be nice to have a version of M&M VI that'll work in Vista without pulling teeth. IV-VI are absolutely brilliant games and for $10 it's a steal, in my opinion.

What kind of games are they similar to? Wizardry? I never got too into M&M because of the cheap look of it, that and the 3DO brand.

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Jesus Christ, GOG! With Settlers 2 Gold and the first six M&M games IN ONE coming, let me just throw money at you.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Finally something to get a bit excited about! :) OP updated.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Honest Thief posted:

What kind of games are they similar to? Wizardry? I never got too into M&M because of the cheap look of it, that and the 3DO brand.

The design approach to Might and Magic was basically "Let's take Wizardry, build a world around it outside the one dungeon and add more crap."

If you're familiar with M&M you can pick up Wizardry easily as they're based around the same principle of dungeon crawling, monster slaying, and grinding except M&M sprinkles story elements and puzzles (for example, the first game has a town ruled by a sucubus that drains the health of all male characters until you go through a dungeon to grab some artifact; or you could have an all female party and kill the bitch yourself).

There's also more monsters. A lot more. Like "you step foot out the inn 20 skeletons surround you" more monsters.

edit: most fans agree that World of Xeen (4 & 5) are the finest in the series. M&M 6 was the start of the push to full 3D containing outdated, muddy, ugly graphics and terrible, horrible art direction. The games are still fun (up until M&M 9 which is all kinds of bland) but if you walk away without wanting to scrub your eyes you're a better man than I.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 20, 2009

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Honest Thief posted:

The Might and Magic games are pretty much sillier, slightly easier Wizardry games with (in my opinion) more interesting combat since positioning matters a bit more.

If you're a fan of the older Wizardry games (ie, before 8) then I highly recommend giving World of Xeen a try. I agree that VI and up had a cheap feel to them, but the Xeen games hold up better than most PC titles from their era graphically, and are still incredibly playable (I actually went through the Xeen games for the first time a couple months ago and was amazed at how well they've aged).

Edit: Also, ignoring theem because of the 3DO brand is a bit like ignoring the Ultima series because of the EA brand. The best games were made before the developers got acquired.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Dammit, the week after I buy Beyond Good and Evil, it appears in a bundle pack with Prince of Persia for $10. If you already own one of the games you can still receive 30% off the individual price, so I guess I'm only losing out on $2.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
So basically six good dungeon crawling games for less than ten european euros, hmm I just might bite then

sethsez posted:

Edit: Also, ignoring theem because of the 3DO brand is a bit like ignoring the Ultima series because of the EA brand. The best games were made before the developers got acquired.

I associate 3DO with a range of awful games from the early PSX era, like the M&M action titles.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
GOG's next Hidden Gem of the Week has been announced. It's Shogo: Mobile armor division

al-azad
May 28, 2009

OptimusShr posted:

GOG's next Hidden Gem of the Week has been announced. It's Shogo: Mobile armor division

This game is so terrible its good. The entire art team had to be made of 13 year old teenagers watching their first anime.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Shogo was pretty sweet, if only because it is the only game (to my admittedly very limited knowledge) that ever had something vaguely similar to ROTT's drunken missile launcher. Bullgut :swoon:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Seriously, $10 each for each individual HOMM game? Who the hell are they kidding? I was expecting $6 each when I first heard they were going to release them eventually and I still thought that was too much.

HoMM 1-4 is something I'd expect to see in a steam package for $15. Not 40 loving dollars.

GoG has a nice collection but they're horribly overpriced sometimes. At least M&M 6 is the best in the series.

edit: poo poo, yeah, M&M 1-6 for $10 is a pretty good deal. That's the type of pricing I can get behind.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Aug 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Heroes of Might and Magic III: Complete Edition is out now.