Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

GreatGreen posted:

Hey, LAY OFF. Not all of us have rocket science degrees, okay? And besides, everybody knows that if you can operate something as hard as them computers, a fridge should be easy! All it has to do is make stuff cold, after all! A computer can do TONS of stuff and apparently you've got that down just fine. :colbert:

Also, this reminds me: A few weeks after I got my current job, I had a conversation with a coworker of mine who revealed something very interesting to me. Keep in mind, she has been working with the company for 9 straight years. Her job is basically data entry with a side of customer assistance on the phone. You know what I learned about this woman, this person who has used a computer all day every day for the past nine years?

She literally did not understand the difference between hardware and software. Even after I found this out and then spent the next 5 or 6 minutes trying to explain it to her, she still just didn't get it. As far as I could tell, she is not mentally retarded. I was speechless.

What the gently caress.

Thats really the way it goes though....

I taught a basic computer class the other day for some of our employees. Some of these people were quite thrown off when I asked them to drag a file to a different window, or when I tell them to right click and then left click. These are people that use a computer every single day, for most of the day.

I get the feeling that we employ some borderline illiterate individuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Dyscrasia posted:

I can't tell if it's refreshing or humiliating, but the marketing guy and I are the only two people in this entire office who can't just bang poo poo out in SQL.

I've got a copy of the Manga Guide to Databases as required reading. :sigh:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Dyscrasia posted:

Thats really the way it goes though....

I taught a basic computer class the other day for some of our employees. Some of these people were quite thrown off when I asked them to drag a file to a different window, or when I tell them to right click and then left click. These are people that use a computer every single day, for most of the day.

Eh, not really. Very few people want to know the underlying things about what they actually do. Corporate life is not all that much different than an assembly line.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Pixelante posted:

I can't tell if it's refreshing or humiliating, but the marketing guy and I are the only two people in this entire office who can't just bang poo poo out in SQL.

I've got a copy of the Manga Guide to Databases as required reading. :sigh:

Thats advanced computer usage though. When I say illiterate, I really mean that I question whether or not they can read and write.

The grammar I see really makes me question it.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

Another story about my former director who screwed me out of OT.

In the summer of 2008, gas prices were hitting $4.30 a gallon. Combined with our pitiful wages, everyone who was not in management was feeling a very tight squeeze. I suggest that he let us WFH since we already have the VPN infrastructure for when we are on call. Much to my surprise, he says that he would implement it if I could just get him a decent proposal. I draft up a proposal that is replete with research on the benefits of WFH, demonstrate the morale and cost saving measures, and then provide some hard numbers on how much even a pair of WFH days per week would save the average employee. In other words, I showed how it would be good for productivity, good for us, and not cost the business a dime. I drop the report on his desk and wait.

Months pass.

I ask him about whatever happened with the WFH policy. He says that he and the VP are reviewing it.

Again, months pass.

Finally, with much fanfare, he announces that he has a new WFH policy, and he emails it out to everyone. It included the following provisions:

-1 WFH day per every two weeks (so infrequently as to save us nothing in time and gas costs)
-We must send emails to our entire DG (as in, from director down) announcing when we are starting a break, when we are back from break, and when we are starting and returning from lunch. We are salaried. He kept treating us like we were a call center. All the downsides of being salaried, none of the benefits.
-Only employees who have had an “Often exceeds expectations or better” on their last annual review are eligible. Since “Meets” was standard, this wiped out eligibility of 80% of his reports.
-We have to provide a line-by-line summary of the work we did that day, to be composed after our shift ends. So, more work if we work from home.

This policy is so onerous that nobody is interested in it, and so we drudge on, business as usual. He started walking around, strutting his stuff like he was the most compassionate director in the world for even letting us out of his sight. You see, all employees are just so very lazy, and we have to always be within the ever-searching gaze of our director in order for us to deign to do our jobs. Screw your manager, your supervisor, anyone between you and him; you are his report, and he will always override your immediate superiors.

When I interviewed for my current position, I asked about WFH days. They said they offered two per week, my choice of days. I laughed out loud at how comparatively generous that seemed. Confused by my outburst, they asked if that was too few. I said no, I was just accustomed to “Jim Crow telecommuting.” Their WFH policy was just super.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

GreatGreen posted:

everybody knows that if you can operate something as hard as them computers, a fridge should be easy! All it has to do is make stuff cold, after all! A computer can do TONS of stuff and apparently you've got that down just fine. :colbert:
I somehow ended up in my current place the other way around. I was hired to coordinate customers for professional print jobs. (which is perhaps the ONLY thing here that I have not actually ever done) Now I'm in charge of I.T. for the whole company. I'm also the only I.T. for the whole company. I'm not even entirely sure anymore how that happened. I remember when the last I.T. guy quit out of the blue, and they asked me to help because they were afraid he might have sabotaged things (a reasonable assumption in this case) and it sort of grew from there. I've never worked I.T. previously, but I have worked in a tech-support call-center... which apparently was close enough.

I have no idea what I'm doing half of the time, and I have made this fairly clear. I didn't go around saying I'm a technical genius and network admin pro, I was very honest about that. I didn't even study I.T. in school, and I have no significant technical certifications. But here I am. So I end up fixing any and all problems in a 150+ computer environment mostly by a combination of detective work, really quick studying online, and a fair amount of guessing.

- Setting up and maintaining an Exchange server? Sure, ok. (I'd never even seen one before)
- Reinstalling finicky, ancient, proprietary software for plate drivers? (Um... ok.)
- Setting up and managing in-house web-servers? (What?... er... ok.)
- Managing active directory for the entire company? (Active directory? I've HEARD of it, yes)
- Troubleshooting and improving a roughly million-dollar digital color press system? (Are you crazy?)
- Working on an automated online store? (How do those even work?)
- Building webpages for clients. (... WHAT? With my experience of approximately none?)
- Professional graphic design. (remember that Graphic design degree I explained that I never finished?)
- Running and maintaining a full server room with 20+ servers...

Somehow I've managed to actually do all of this.
No loving idea how, to be perfectly honest.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Turnquiet posted:

Finally, with much fanfare, he announces that he has a new WFH policy, and he emails it out to everyone. It included the following provisions:
-1 WFH day per every two weeks (so infrequently as to save us nothing in time and gas costs)
-We must send emails to our entire DG (as in, from director down) announcing when we are starting a break, when we are back from break, and when we are starting and returning from lunch. We are salaried. He kept treating us like we were a call center. All the downsides of being salaried, none of the benefits.
-Only employees who have had an “Often exceeds expectations or better” on their last annual review are eligible. Since “Meets” was standard, this wiped out eligibility of 80% of his reports.
-We have to provide a line-by-line summary of the work we did that day, to be composed after our shift ends. So, more work if we work from home.

When I started at my current job, I was told we would soon be implementing a way to work from home. It has been almost 6 years and still no sign of that. Word is the upper levels of management don't believe our direct bosses can handle us not being in the office. However, our remote access is considered sufficient to work on the weekends, funny that.

I found this on dailywtf:
code:
Hi Dan,

You are correct. There is a discrepancy between the vacation time 
(2 weeks / 80 hours) and the newly-instituted 45-hour workweeks. 
At this time, we are not planning on increasing employee vacation 
benefits, so in order to meet the 45-hour requirement, you will 
need to either:

(a) use an hour from your sick/personal time for each vacation day

(b) work an additional hour for each vacation day

Note that, if you chose to work the extra hour, it must done 
within the same two-week pay period. Also, keep in mind that this 
policy will apply to company holidays as well.

Thank you,

Amber J------------
HR Generalist

CitizenKain fucked around with this message at 20:05 on May 6, 2010

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My girlfriend just got a low level corporate job about two months ago since she's been unable to get a job in her field (interior design) since graduating college in 2008 because of the economy and such. As a new employee, she is on a 3 month probationary period where she has no benefits or time off.

She asked to take a day off next Monday because she is flying home to California to surprise her mom for Mother's Day this weekend. She was going to take the day unpaid because she has no vacation days yet. Everything was fine. Now suddenly, poo poo is hitting all kinds of fans. She's being told she has to use a 'floating holiday,' she will get a 'penalty' whatever the gently caress that is, and will have to have a talk with her boss, who I assume okayed everything to begin with.

gently caress America, burn it to the ground.

edit- also her mom has cancer
edit edit - it's a rare form of blood cancer that I can't pronounce or spell, and they gave her 15+ years to live, and she's 60 years old as it is, so it's probably not as horrible as it sounds, but still cancer

vvvvv We should be so grateful that our god-kings allow us to even have jobs. It was a mistake for anyone wanting to see their mother on Mother's Day. She should stay here and take the penalty on her permanent employee record anyway, after a visit to the principal's office and a talk from the disciplinarian.

Just got a new job? Ok, let me turn my life over to them until they allow me to make my own decisions again.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 21:09 on May 6, 2010

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

FogHelmut posted:

Can we get a mod to change the name of this thread to "Reasons I no longer want to attend freshman college in America"?

Edit to the butt-hurt douche above me: Clearly that's a great reason to "Burn America into the ground." I think this thread could probably do without your crazy anarchist quotes that you copied out of a Twilight fan's notebook.

Defghanistan fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 6, 2010

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Defghanistan posted:

Can we get a mod to change the name of this thread to "Reasons I no longer want to attend freshman college in America"?

Look, if you don't like this thread just polish up your resume and find a new one. :colbert:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Defghanistan posted:

Edit to the butt-hurt douche above me: Clearly that's a great reason to "Burn America into the ground." I think this thread could probably do without your crazy anarchist quotes that you copied out of a Twilight fan's notebook.

Take your American flag colored glasses off, bud. This poo poo is completely unreasonable by any human standards.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

FogHelmut posted:

Take your American flag colored glasses off, bud. This poo poo is completely unreasonable by any human standards.

American flag colored...what? Where do you come up with this stuff? I am assuming you've never had any real -work- before. Ever worked in construction? Food industry? Anywhere people rely on you heavily on a day to day basis to maintain business?

Sometimes, in some industries, getting a day off is hard. I asked a restaurant owner for a day off once as one of two chefs and he pointed to the door. I took his advice and walked out of it.

But, ya know, let's just burn the entire country to ashes just because..

Solkanar512 posted:

Look, if you don't like this thread just polish up your resume and find a new one. :colbert:

Touche! However the thread is supposed to be about reasons I don't want to work in corporate, not reasons why I am so mad at mom and dad for making me live in the stupid USA.

Edit: Removed the fat lazy goon comment. I don't know if you're fat or lazy. Probably neither.

Defghanistan fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 6, 2010

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Defghanistan posted:

American flag colored...what? Where do you come up with this stuff? I am assuming you've never had any real -work- before. Ever worked in construction? Food industry? Anywhere people rely on you heavily on a day to day basis to maintain business?

Sometimes, in some industries, getting a day off is hard. I asked a restaurant owner for a day off once as one of two chefs and he pointed to the door. I took his advice and walked out of it.

But, ya know, let's just burn the entire country to ashes just because we're fat lazy goons.

Touche! However the thread is supposed to be about reasons I don't want to work in corporate, not reasons why I am so mad at mom and dad for making me live in the stupid USA.

I guess that's just the way it is. :rolleyes:

"I want a day off."
"Nope. Status quo."
"Oh well thanks anyway."

Seriously. Bull poo poo.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

FogHelmut posted:

I guess that's just the way it is. :rolleyes:

"I want a day off."
"Nope. Status quo."
"Oh well thanks anyway."

Seriously. Bull poo poo.

Dude I agree, really I do. It sucks, but not all jobs are equal and people do this poo poo because they know that some jerk somewhere will work for peanuts and never take a day off. Also, people are inherently lazy. Most people will just take this crap and never take the drastic change that is switching jobs.

Vote with your feet- get the eff out of the company. Easier said that done right now I know, but once things pick up and jobs start flowing easier again that will be a much more feasible option.

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer

FogHelmut posted:

It is unreasonable, horribly so. Why do we put up with it?

If you want to make a stand, do so. Pretty much you can be let go for any reason, due to either being on a probationary period, or downsizing/layoff/<insert corp speak for getting rid of your rear end>. We've had plenty of those horror stories.

On top of that, 10% unemployment (+/- a few % points, depending on how you measure it) means that when you leave, the company isn't going to be hurt, more then likely they have 3 other people ready to jump into your job for that paycheck.

So you're now unemployed, with no reference, and if you're lucky the company won't try to deny your unemployment, if you even qualify. And if you're unlucky, they're already getting you blacklisted from other places they have connections to. Oh, and of course you're fighting those other 3 people for that same job. I remember trying to get work after the dotcom bust, we have masters degrees going after entry level IT work. For the same hourly wage!

Now you're got no job, no check coming in, no safety net except family. You apply for government services, which makes people, no matter how nice, pretty much write you off as something less then human due to a screwed-up view that's been implanted in us. And if you get any money/help, unless you want to gently caress with the system like some of the pro scammers, you're living at poverty level, which really isn't enough to support you unless you find other people to live with.

Those American-colored glasses aren't there to white-wash it man, it's to cover up the constant look of fear in our eyes. We scramble for that check because if we don't, we're so hosed it's not funny at all.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Defghanistan posted:

Dude I agree, really I do. It sucks, but not all jobs are equal and people do this poo poo because they know that some jerk somewhere will work for peanuts and never take a day off. Also, people are inherently lazy. Most people will just take this crap and never take the drastic change that is switching jobs.

Vote with your feet- get the eff out of the company. Easier said that done right now I know, but once things pick up and jobs start flowing easier again that will be a much more feasible option.

It's not me, it's my girlfriend. I'll be sitting at home eating Double Downs all weekend. I told my boss today that I was taking a half day tomorrow to go drive her to the airport and I got a big thumbs up.

It's just frustratingly absurd that these corporations will demand your soul and treat you like a child.

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious

FogHelmut posted:

It's not me, it's my girlfriend. I'll be sitting at home eating Double Downs all weekend. I told my boss today that I was taking a half day tomorrow to go drive her to the airport and I got a big thumbs up.

It's just frustratingly absurd that these corporations will demand your soul and treat you like a child.

You're comment about your boss is kind of what I am getting at. There are horrible, horrible companies in this country but there's also places you can get work that treat you like you (somewhat) matter. A boss giving a thumbs up for a half day is a very small deal, but that's the sort of thing I mean.

As for your second comment, now we're starting to steer this thread back on track, haha.

My company recently instituted what they call an "All hands on deck initiative". Essentially they've instituted mandatory 60 hour work weeks for all salaried employees, and all hourly employees (myself) can be forced into work at any hour of the day.

Just another reason to never accept a management/salary position. Yikes. I feel bad for those guys.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

RedMagus posted:

Now you're got no job, no check coming in, no safety net except family...
Also, if you DID have health care, it was most likely tied to your job. You can either keep it going by paying huge monthly fees out of pocket with the money you don't actually have coming in now, or you just don't have health insurance anymore. If you or any of your dependents have a significant injury or sickness now, your options are either risking death by not getting medical assistance, or instantly dooming yourself a life-ruining amount of debt by going to the hospital.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 6, 2010

Lukano
Apr 28, 2003

Lukano fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 16, 2011

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Defghanistan posted:

Of course he's loving butt-hurt (read his story) and of course American needs to burn - at the least the current system needs to. Every country that revels in this special brand of hyper-capitalism that is eating itself up from the inside cannot burn quickly enough IMO.

I don't get people like you, who just go 'oh, yeah, that's how it is' and continue to bend over and take your reaming while scoffing at those who cry out rape. 'What's the matter? Can't handle this like I can?'

gently caress the system, and gently caress you!

GGRRRRRRRRRRR

I am OK fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 6, 2010

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Defghanistan posted:

Grow the gently caress up. You can read my post that way if you want or you can read it for what it is: Me backing up my position by explaining who I am and where I'm at.

It won't work for everyone, but the attitude in this thread the last few pages has been "America sucks, EU rocks, I can't find a job here and clearly they're just clamouring to give away vacation time to employees in the EU."

I merely suggest that instead of bitching on SA about how much this awful country just sucks a dick, maybe they shut up and re-write that resume. Or maybe I should shut up and accept that some folks just love the grass is greener mentality.

Why should I? I'm content. Your anecdotal evidence, does not outweigh he other body of evidence that disagrees. I'm sorry but America in the case of workers rights and other issues does in fact suck, if facts upset you perhaps you should go LALALALALA AMERICA RULEZ every time someone says something negative about America.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
Why not just get another job? *I* did and look where I am now :smug:

*completely ignores the 10,00000000 factors, most of them some sort of luck, that prevent every single person from working in a perfectly acceptable job in a perfectly acceptable environment*

*quite literally believes that nobody in this thread works as hard and is as intelligent as he is*

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!
I am currently searching for a document. The directions I have been given are as follows: "It's on that computer over there. I don't remember the file type - you know, the one with all the little boxes. It has next year's calendar on it but nothing is filled in yet. No one remembers what the file name is. It's REALLY IMPORTANT that we find it!"

This is why receptionists sometimes become The Fuhrer. If you expect omniscience, then by all the mad and distant gods, you will get it.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
I understand living for life, and not for work, but do you guys really not care at all about your jobs or your company? Do you not derive satisfaction from what you do or your success?

Personally, I love my job. I'm okay with working my rear end off *now*, and hopefully living comfortably later on in life. It's not that I couldn't get by with 40 hours a week and the bare minimum. But I worked my rear end off and should be able to retire in less than 10 years (I'm 30). Granted, I'm lucky, but if you work hard enough in the right company, it's completely possible.

You guys need to ask about profit sharing. Stock options. poo poo like that. Maybe then you'll have the motivation to actually work instead of spending the time planning your next vacation.

JustV
Apr 23, 2008

Only Literally On Fire

FogHelmut posted:

My girlfriend just got a low level corporate job about two months ago since she's been unable to get a job in her field (interior design) since graduating college in 2008 because of the economy and such. As a new employee, she is on a 3 month probationary period where she has no benefits or time off.

She asked to take a day off next Monday because she is flying home to California to surprise her mom for Mother's Day this weekend. She was going to take the day unpaid because she has no vacation days yet. Everything was fine. Now suddenly, poo poo is hitting all kinds of fans. She's being told she has to use a 'floating holiday,' she will get a 'penalty' whatever the gently caress that is, and will have to have a talk with her boss, who I assume okayed everything to begin with.

We've got floating holidays where I work and if your girlfriend's are any similar to ours, she's coming out ahead. "Floating Holidays", a.k.a. vacation days, are given to employees in place of getting the day off for major religious holidays because we can't just give people a holiday because they're a Jew/Christian/Muslim/Red Socks Fan anymore. The difference between "Floating Holidays" and PTO is that everyone in the company gets the same amount (keeps the new hires from being completely hosed) and that they can't be carried over from year to year (so celebrate your Ramadan or we'll take it away from you).

Your girlfriend will probably get a black mark somewhere in her HR file in exchange for a full day's pay. Not exactly fair, but could be worse.

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL

Wake_N_Bake posted:

I understand living for life, and not for work, but do you guys really not care at all about your jobs or your company? Do you not derive satisfaction from what you do or your success?

Personally, I love my job. I'm okay with working my rear end off *now*, and hopefully living comfortably later on in life. It's not that I couldn't get by with 40 hours a week and the bare minimum. But I worked my rear end off and should be able to retire in less than 10 years (I'm 30). Granted, I'm lucky, but if you work hard enough in the right company, it's completely possible.

You guys need to ask about profit sharing. Stock options. poo poo like that. Maybe then you'll have the motivation to actually work instead of spending the time planning your next vacation.

Obviously I can't speak for anybody else, but I suspect that lots of people care a great deal about their jobs - there are people here who work in labs, for example, which aren't exactly places you work in if you have no passion for the subject matter. As for the company - hell no. I've never cared about a company, but that's a different thing to your job.

What chafes is that whether or not you care about your job and indeed do a good job is routinely ignored in favour of office politics and witless rule-following. That's what the crux of a lot of these posts are about. This thread is rife with stories of people getting up at midnight in the name of work, or doing 24 hour days without stepping away from the desk. You cannot level that accusation at a lot of people in here.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Wake'n'Bake - you very quickly learn to not care about your company when your company makes it plain and clear that they do not care about you.

In either this thread or another related one in D&D, I posted about one of my projects from last year. I traveled to Europe (from USA) six times to fix screw-ups by our manufacturing division, lost my weekends due to travel, worked basically non-stop for those eight weeks (in excess of 80 hours per week during them). No reimbursement for travel to the airport (130 miles each way), no reimbursement for expenses other than airfare and hotel at all, and no reimbursement for any sorts of home expenses. (Childcare while you're traveling is on your own dime, as is pet kenneling, etc etc.) On top of that, all my usual work back in the USA had to get handled as well.

My work for that year was able to get a drug approved that would otherwise have failed to hit a clinical milestone. This drug's estimated sales are worth in excess of $130M. Peanuts to my company, but think of it relative to my salary. Almost that entire project's success is mine.

So, what did 8 weeks of no weekends and double hours, $130M in revenue, and all my other work get me?

$2.00 voucher good only at our company cafeteria.

No raise, no promotion, no mention on my year-end review. My year end review says "Met all expectations." That's it. I didn't even get reimbursed for my gasoline or the miles on my car to get to the airport, nor did I get reimbursed for parking costs at the airport.

YOU ARE LUCKY. Hell, I'm working for one of the largest companies in the US, and they do not give a flying gently caress about their employees. They don't have to - we're a captive audience since we can't exactly emigrate.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

Wake_N_Bake posted:

a) 40 hours a week is a not the "bare minimum." That's what most people are contracted for. I know I sound like a broken record, but doing your job and doing it well within the time you've allotted for your company should not be defined as lazy. Work/Life balance, people. It's a good thing.

b) Designing your life to enjoy the future and not the moment isn't a sure thing. Look at all those poor fuckers who lost everything when the economy went to poo poo.

c) Many drones are in positions where working 60 hour weeks doesn't gain them anything except not losing their job. Doesn't get them more money, more respect, more satisfaction, or happiness. Just stress and an unbalanced life.

d) Caring about a company is pretty much impossible when its clear they don't care about you.

That said, it's awesome that you've found your groove and are content with what you're doing. I mostly like my company too, but I've worked in more than enough offices to say that the majority have serious management flaws.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 23:33 on May 6, 2010

Rhyos
Jan 2, 2006
It's probably my fault.
This whole thread makes me really, really grateful for the company I work for. I'm in a similar position to Defghanistan - 27 year old with no college degree working in IT for a regulatory company in the power industry for the past 2.5 years. What was initially going to be a company of 25 people at the maximum with 5 folks working remotely has grown to over 60 with about 20 working remotely. My boss, myself, and a contractor who does our buying comprise the whole IT department. I get bitched at for volunteering to work overtime, and in circumstances where it's needed, I either get that or more PTO. 401(k) with an effective 6% contribution from the company (3% safe harbor. :swoon:) full health insurance package (dental, vision, mental, etc) and though I'm paid a bit less than someone with my experience, there's at least some appreciation for what I do.

Don't get me wrong, when a computer crashes, suddenly everyone blames me because I'm the one who did the initial setup for all of 'em, but I'm smart enough to keep most of it under control. I deal with the occasional bullshit (What do you mean a disk imaging system would be too expensive? There are free ones and it takes me a whole day to set up a system!) but all in all, it's a nice place to work, and good people to work for. I certainly consider myself drat lucky to have landed the job, so I work every day as if I could be fired from it, but that's part of my personal work ethic. Either way, it's my first "corporate" job, so after reading this, I'm thrilled with it and not having to deal with what's apparently the usual bullshit.

Doesn't mean I haven't dealt with bullshit from people who thought they were big time, though.

Before working where I am now, I worked for this piddlyshit little computer company that I happened to walk into on a whim that hired me right away. It was run by an Iranian guy who insisted that he knew "de biznes" and wrote in the same manner he spoke. He had thought he was big-time years ago, and his supposed warehouse and assembly line culminated in a dinky shop with 80s-90s hardware all over the place and only a single working computer around. All software was pirated, all of the machines were bought and sold at a loss, and the guy running the place insisted on being the sole point of contact for everything. I was young, I needed a job, and he was willing to pay $7/hr. I was in for 2 years of mismanaged hell that cost me more than I made, dragged a handful of my good friends in on it, got me some of the most bizarre drinking stories, and at the very least gave me a line on my resume that was relevant to something IT related. Even now, vets of the place wonder how it's still in business, and we were (and still are years later) asked if it was a front for money laundering for terrorists. :patriot:, I know, but when the same guy doesn't tell his employees about an urgent service call for 3 days, mispronounces the same name 3 times (and misspells it 4 times on the one license we did buy on a regular basis), and regularly comes back through job sites and fouls up every fix we put in place, you tend to wonder.

It's not corporate per se, but managerial incompetence at its height. I've got tons of stories, just no time to transcribe 'em.

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Kiss my shiny metal heinie

Sundae posted:

So, what did 8 weeks of no weekends and double hours, $130M in revenue, and all my other work get me?

How did you not totally lose your poo poo? Did you bring this up at your review? Did anyone say anything?

I would have given that $2 voucher right back and told my boss, I think the company needs this more than I do if this is all they can afford to share.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I actually did bring it up at the review. My manager reiterated her stance from the year before: she just writes a text review and sends it to HR, who sends back a rating. She has no say in what we are given. She showed me the text review, where she very clearly mentioned the work overseas.

As she put it, all she has any authority to do is write the review and send me a voucher.

So yeah, I got myself a voucher. Coffee costs over $3.00, so I think I'll not be using it any time soon.

Edit:

To clarify on the review thing (in one it says I only had one sentence, in the other she shows me a nice review) - The only thing visible in my performance page in our HR database is that one sentence. My manager has a separate entry spot where she submits our reviews in full form, and then HR puts in whatever they want. HR decided that I "met expectations" and that was all they put.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 23:37 on May 6, 2010

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

Defghanistan posted:

:words:

There is a term for this. Stockholm Syndrome.

jai Mundi
Jun 17, 2005

Kiss my shiny metal heinie

Sundae posted:

I actually did bring it up at the review. My manager reiterated her stance from the year before: she just writes a text review and sends it to HR, who sends back a rating. She has no say in what we are given. She showed me the text review, where she very clearly mentioned the work overseas.

As she put it, all she has any authority to do is write the review and send me a voucher.

So yeah, I got myself a voucher. Coffee costs over $3.00, so I think I'll not be using it any time soon.

Edit to clarify coming...

I would have tracked down the HR department drone responsible for that and asked WTF they were thinking. And also used the $2 voucher to light a fire and burn down the office.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
^^ No kidding.

I am OK posted:

What chafes is that whether or not you care about your job and indeed do a good job is routinely ignored in favour of office politics and witless rule-following. That's what the crux of a lot of these posts are about.

There's also a lot of really cool offices without that bullshit. There's always politics, but handling that poo poo is easy. Don't give up hope. :)

Sundae posted:

Dude. My ex-girlfriend's sister works international sales at Lilly. It's pretty much the complete opposite of what you described. Please, please go there.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Consider them on my list now. Shall check for scientist / engineer openings.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008
In Up in the Air, there's a dramatization of Zach Galifianakis tooling up to go on a shooting rampage but after reading this thread, how is it that something like that hasn't happened yet? Have companies collaborated to find the sweet spot of misery that keeps up their profit margins while not inciting mass worker rebellion?

modeski
Apr 21, 2005

Deceive, inveigle, obfuscate.

Der Luftwaffle posted:

In Up in the Air, there's a dramatization of Zach Galifianakis tooling up to go on a shooting rampage but after reading this thread, how is it that something like that hasn't happened yet? Have companies collaborated to find the sweet spot of misery that keeps up their profit margins while not inciting mass worker rebellion?

That's pretty much it. Not to mention that the sort of people who give a poo poo about their jobs are those who have responsibilities they can't neglect, like a mortgage and kids. With the US economy the way it is now, a lot of people haven't got enough savings to live off if they quit, and finding another job is tough when companies aren't hiring.

trollstormur
Mar 18, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm thinking we need to take this thread to LF. Let's start a Union for Non-Executives.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

Rhyos posted:

:swoon:
This is how I started out in my current job. I also work for a company under regulatory compliance (FFIEC), and it's a lot of fun. Ride the wave and work your rear end off, it does pay off. And don't forget to take the flextime in this nice weather. :)

Sundae posted:

Consider them on my list now. Shall check for scientist / engineer openings.
PM me your Job Title/whatever and *maybe* if they can't fill an internal slot I might be able to tell you when something's gonna open up. I might even forget to tell them you're a godless commie. :o:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
At Earthlink we had a "Health Fair" one day. Really, it was just a few people from our health insurance provider there trying to talk us into going with the more expensive versions of the policy. To entice us into coming to this fair, they put out cookies, had balloons, hung up cheap decorations... and had management make attendance mandatory. There was also a free raffle to win fabulous prizes. (also mandatory) I won the raffle. The health insurance people gave me, as my prize:

A big book of holistic & folk remedies.

My professional health insurance company was giving me a book on how to cure any and all illnesses using folk medicine and old-wives' tales. I asked about this, looking for any hint of irony from them, but no. In fact, the insurance-shill I talked to said she personally loved that book and used it whenever she had any problems. Yep, that made me feel confident about my health benefits.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 7, 2010