Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Hillary Clinton seems like such a lock for 2016 that I want to do a contrarian argument against it. I don't remember any time a candidate felt so sure to win four years in advance since, well, Clinton. For a non-incumbent you'd have to go back to the 1960s for such an easily predicted election. Does anyone else feel this way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SirKibbles posted:

I'd argue it'd would force them to be politically active. People are so apathetic in the black community especially here in Wisconsin and Walker's batshittery finally got people out of the everything is hosed anyway mindset.

Plus having them spread out a bit more means more candidates are going to at least have to do token outreach which despite how annoying they are still do something even if it's a temporary something.

On the other hand, Republicans still control the state in Wisconsin. And for all that talk about outreach, token outreach is just that, token.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chamale posted:

Hillary Clinton seems like such a lock for 2016 that I want to do a contrarian argument against it. I don't remember any time a candidate felt so sure to win four years in advance since, well, Clinton. For a non-incumbent you'd have to go back to the 1960s for such an easily predicted election. Does anyone else feel this way?

The only conceivable way I see her getting screwed out of the nomination, assuming she wants it, is if Cory Booker wins a Senate seat and then pulls an Obama. And the chances of that happening are astronomically low.

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

api call girl posted:

On the other hand, Republicans still control the state in Wisconsin. And for all that talk about outreach, token outreach is just that, token.

Yeah yeah but baby steps,better than nothing etc.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

SirKibbles posted:

Yeah yeah but baby steps,better than nothing etc.

From what I see these aren't baby steps forward, they're gigantic leaps backward.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

The only conceivable way I see her getting screwed out of the nomination, assuming she wants it, is if Cory Booker wins a Senate seat and then pulls an Obama. And the chances of that happening are astronomically low.

I get the feeling Booker is playing the long game, in that he seems to wants to get things done along the way rather than just jumping along to the next higher office. Though perhaps I'm just buying into a false image. And he's not so great on some things anyhow.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

ReidRansom posted:

I get the feeling Booker is playing the long game, in that he seems to wants to get things done along the way rather than just jumping along to the next higher office. Though perhaps I'm just buying into a false image. And he's not so great on some things anyhow.

I really like him personally; he's politically meh. But in terms of electoral politics it would take someone with the kind of image he has (kind of like what Obama had in 2008) to best Hillary, and I don't think she'd fall for it the second time around. Like I said, that's just the only way I could see her losing it; that doesn't make it likely in the slightest.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
The NYT hit piece on Booker today was pretty harsh. Ouch.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Petey posted:

Hm. By this article's reckoning, it looks like he would be a better Senate whip or I guess VP than he would a Governor or President.

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Chamale posted:

If she runs she'll get the nomination. The only complication would be if Biden throws his hat in (and I really, really hope he doesn't) because I have a feeling that she would bow out if he did.

We also need to keep in mind that the latest info directly from Clinton is that she isn't planning on running. I'm really hoping that's just a tactic so people will leave her alone for a couple years but she's made the statement on more than one occasion.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Petey posted:

Ouch is right, but it does seem to make some pretty valid points.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

Ouch is right, but it does seem to make some pretty valid points.

Also I think we need to remember this was the same guy who came out and defended hedge funds and venture capital during the campaign. He's just as much of a DLC neoliberal as Obama or Clinton.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
A lot of the criticisms of Booker's administration underestimate just how big of a clusterfuck he inherited from two decades of the openly corrupt Sharpe James, and the decades of even more incompetent crooks preceding Sharpe. I think essentially all of Booker's cozying up to elements that the left would prefer a fight with results from a desperate need to bring money and business into a city that is both barely solvent and has terrible machine elements deeply embedded in all parts of the government.

In that regard I think writing him off as a "DLC neoliberal" because he's played reformer against a bad system in his mid-sized city without seeing what he does on a statewide level is myopic. And I don't think anyone is going to deny Booker's immense talent as a retail politician, which is why we're talking about the mayor of Newark with no obvious path to higher office in this thread.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

jeffersonlives posted:

A lot of the criticisms of Booker's administration underestimate just how big of a clusterfuck he inherited from two decades of the openly corrupt Sharpe James, and the decades of even more incompetent crooks preceding Sharpe. I think essentially all of Booker's cozying up to elements that the left would prefer a fight with results from a desperate need to bring money and business into a city that is both barely solvent and has terrible machine elements deeply embedded in all parts of the government.

In that regard I think writing him off as a "DLC neoliberal" because he's played reformer against a bad system in his mid-sized city without seeing what he does on a statewide level is myopic. And I don't think anyone is going to deny Booker's immense talent as a retail politician, which is why we're talking about the mayor of Newark with no obvious path to higher office in this thread.

I think the more damning critiques in that article, however, said that his retail politics were more marketing politics in that the products were pitched well but deals rarely closed. The last paragraph was particularly painful and clearly intentionally so.

The booker as stealth DLC critique is somewhat different than the booker as brand critique.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Petey posted:

I think the more damning critiques in that article, however, said that his retail politics were more marketing politics in that the products were pitched well but deals rarely closed. The last paragraph was particularly painful and clearly intentionally so.

The booker as stealth DLC critique is somewhat different than the booker as brand critique.

Eh, I think the constituent services stuff is mostly sour grapes from his political enemies. As noted, it's a hit piece, and the two people quoted for the record are both longtime Newark machine players.

And the Times hitting Booker for spending a night ten miles away from the city considering they write biannual positive puff pieces about how Mike Bloomberg basically lives in Bermuda and commutes to Manhattan is more than a bit rich.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Somebody obviously thinks he's got a serious shot at governor.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
Lotta Clinton certainty in this thread when Biden is running, Booker might say gently caress it and run and half a dozen other big names can be Booker stand-ins.

It's not going to be an unopposed Clinton run. Even Gore had to get past Bradley, who was a pretty serious challenge for him. This will be going on in the Internet era, with a large logjam of stars at the top who can all fund raise well. At the very least, she'll have to face down a sitting veep, and who knows which way the party leadership goes in that fight?

PS: if Booker, Deval Patrick, etc. run she *certainly* loses the black vote again and none of the first four states are anything remotely resembling a strength for her.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Adar posted:

Lotta Clinton certainty in this thread when Biden is running, Booker might say gently caress it and run and half a dozen other big names can be Booker stand-ins.

It's not going to be an unopposed Clinton run. Even Gore had to get past Bradley, who was a pretty serious challenge for him. This will be going on in the Internet era, with a large logjam of stars at the top who can all fund raise well. At the very least, she'll have to face down a sitting veep, and who knows which way the party leadership goes in that fight?

PS: if Booker, Deval Patrick, etc. run she *certainly* loses the black vote again and none of the first four states are anything remotely resembling a strength for her.

Woah, when did Biden ever say he was running?

I don't think he's offered any indication, and most people think he's too old to consider a run.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
And if there's at least one "serious" candidate other than her in the race the debates will include the issue candidates and partisans. There's always a handful, so you'll get events with Clinton, Biden and Grayson on the stage.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Woah, when did Biden ever say he was running?

I don't think he's offered any indication, and most people think he's too old to consider a run.

Biden has hinted at it a billion times including a few to donors.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

The one thing against Biden besides the whole age thing...I wonder if he really has a built in base for donors. There are Clinton donors who'll support the Clintons and candidates that the Clintons like, there are Obama donors who'll live on after he's out of office, and a bunch of other people have loyalist donors. But does Biden really have a base of donors that he can go to, say "I'm running", get some serious financing and quickly assemble a team? Hillaryland certainly does, but does Biden?

Or is Biden's path pretty much hope Clinton doesn't run, and then use up her resources?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

notthegoatseguy posted:

Or is Biden's path pretty much hope Clinton doesn't run, and then use up her resources?

That's how I see it. Although Biden is certainly preparing to run, at the end of the day I don't think Biden's going to be taking yet another underdog shot at the nomination. Even if you think he's got a plausible shot in a clash of the titans style primary against Hillary, he's certainly not anything resembling a favorite in it.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
There are a number of Senators who don't get along with the Clintons that probably like Biden from his years there. They would introduce Biden to donors. That's how Obama's campaign happened.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Joementum posted:

There are a number of Senators who don't get along with the Clintons that probably like Biden from his years there. They would introduce Biden to donors. That's how Obama's campaign happened.

I would imagine that Biden long ago got those introductions, if only as part of fundraising work for Obama. He's no neophyte.

I still don't see him winning. He lacks Obama's manifest competence.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I would imagine that Biden long ago got those introductions, if only as part of fundraising work for Obama. He's no neophyte.

I still don't see him winning. He lacks Obama's manifest competence.

All else being equal, he's a moderate underdog. They won't be equal. Hillary has the second biggest donor and activist list in the party, but Obama's is unmatched and it's going to Biden even if Obama is publicly neutral (what's he going to do, say no?)

It's not 2008 where he was a fourth tier also-ran; he'll have a hundred million dollars to throw into Iowa and will live there as much as anybody with VP for a title.

I think it's a toss-up today if they ran a two person race. Throw a Booker/Patrick/Schweitzer/Malley/all of the above in there and who the gently caress knows.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.
Joe Biden has had consistently lower approval ratings that Obama despite only ever being a soft news guy, has had two presidential campaigns, the first of which he flamed out spectacularly and the second of which he was a non-entity, and he will be 74 years old in 2016. He is not a serious candidate.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Quasimango posted:

Joe Biden has had consistently lower approval ratings that Obama despite only ever being a soft news guy, has had two presidential campaigns, the first of which he flamed out spectacularly and the second of which he was a non-entity, and he will be 74 years old in 2016. He is not a serious candidate.
Agreed. Even if he does run in 2016, I don't see him winning any primaries of note, and dropping out pretty early like in 2008.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Joementum posted:

And if there's at least one "serious" candidate other than her in the race the debates will include the issue candidates and partisans. There's always a handful, so you'll get events with Clinton, Biden and Grayson on the stage.

Oh god, please let this happen. The pure entertainment value of this combined with whatever the gently caress the GOP throws together?? :allears:

Guys, don't forget about Cuomo. I wouldn't be surprised if he exceeded expectations as well. The Democratic party is a lot less predictable than the GOP. 4 years is a lifetime for someone to sweep the nomination out from under Hilary, assuming she decides to run.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The netroots if already fighting HARD against Cuomo. Every progressive in the party will fight so hard against him if he has the gall to run.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Adar posted:

I don't know if we could compare Hillary to Gore so easily, though, because Gore was running a rather shoddy campaign - "we can't let Clinton stump for us, he's still EMBROILED IN A SCANDAL that nobody gives a poo poo about" - and didn't have the whole "possibly the first female President" thing going for him. That, and Clinton's administration was still a fresh memory in 2000 since Clinton was, after all, the incumbent.

Flash forward sixteen years, and Clinton has presumably learned from the mistakes of 2008, will conceivably inherit a formidable campaign apparatus from the Obama Administration (Obama may not care about the future of the party all that much, but I think he cares enough about his whole legacy thing to want Clinton in power as a good successor to his policies), and still has the whole "possibly the first female President" thing going for her. Additionally, the Clinton Administration will be old news - almost an entire generation will have gone by, and all kinds of fresh voters will be around who get the sunshine-and-roses description of the '90s instead of the shrill "Clinton is a womanizing liar" early 2000s version.

Biden won't run; he knows the party itself isn't gonna back him over Hillary even if Obama might, and he'll be seriously old by then. I think he'll understand that his time has passed, and that Hillary is the better bet.

Also, given the description in this thread. gently caress Cuomo. gently caress him forever. I don't care how he's like as a person, he sounds like a politician who's even worse than the Republicans: he's the kind that moves the Overton window to the right, rather than just taking advantage of its current position.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001
The two term sitting vice president of a likely relatively popular administration is automatically a serious candidate whether you want him to be or not, and 'the party convincing him not to run over the wishes of Obama' is a rather naive statement.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Quasimango posted:

VPs always have lower approval ratings because not as many people know what to think about them. A small but significant percentage don't even know who they are.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
The key thing with the Democratic primaries is that, if she does run, those who are politically close to the Clintons will not challenge her and will instead internally campaign to be her running mate.

We know for sure that Cuomo and Gillibrand are firmly in this inner circle. I suspect that O'Malley and the Castro brothers may be as well seeing as they originally supported her in 2008 as a superdelegate and through their contributions (well, Julián originally supported Edwards, but Joaquin was 100%). However, O'Malley did switch to Obama once he became inevitable so who knows, though he seems deferential when talking about her in recent days.

Julián won't run in 2016 unless Obama picks him up for something or he somehow magically becomes governor of Texas in 2014, but that's not going to happen (by the way, the next Democrat who does becomes governor of Texas may very likely be president soon after). Senator Cory Booker is not going to run one year into the job, but Governor Cory Booker may. My feeling is that he won't though.

Joe Biden though. Who knows what that crazy guy's gonna do next.

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Lightning Knight posted:

Biden won't run; he knows the party itself isn't gonna back him over Hillary even if Obama might, and he'll be seriously old by then. I think he'll understand that his time has passed, and that Hillary is the better bet.

Also, given the description in this thread. gently caress Cuomo. gently caress him forever. I don't care how he's like as a person, he sounds like a politician who's even worse than the Republicans: he's the kind that moves the Overton window to the right, rather than just taking advantage of its current position.

As much as I love the fact that I have the NY accent, I'm so glad that will prevent Cuomo from actually having a real shot at the big seat.

Petty, it really is, but I really...REALLY do not like that man.

Then again, as I get older, I track further and further to the left.

ManifunkDestiny
Aug 2, 2005
THE ONLY THING BETTER THAN THE SEAHAWKS IS RUSSELL WILSON'S TAINT SWEAT

Seahawks #1 fan since 2014.
Hillary became unwell, passed out, got a concussion. Time for questions about her health and ability to physically lead a country to come up.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
H. Clinton's health seems to be a bit irregular.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

TyroneGoldstein posted:

Petty, it really is, but I really...REALLY do not like that man.

I remember him being stationed right outside of one of the exits at Penn Station back in 2006 when he ran for NY Attorney General and he came off as being incredibly sleazy even back then - he did not fail to disappoint in the following six years.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I most certainly think Hillary is not going to have anything to do with politics for a long, long time. She's tired, and she's had enough of waking up at 3AM and flying somewhere to deal with the world's problems. She just wants to relax and be an ordinary person for a while, especially after this.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I most certainly think Hillary is not going to have anything to do with politics for a long, long time. She's tired, and she's had enough of waking up at 3AM and flying somewhere to deal with the world's problems. She just wants to relax and be an ordinary person for a while, especially after this.

I'm guessing that she will:

-do nothing to burn any bridges to a 2016 run
-take at least a year if not two to make a decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

She won't have a whole lot of time to actually rest. Romney spent the entire time between 2008 and 2012 campaigning while not officially campaigning, with his only real job was sitting on Marriott's board. Which is a do-nothing job that easily lets him go around to write books and gives speeches and raise funds for Republicans, which he did. He filed his exploratory committee in April 2011.

Now unlike Romney, Clinton will at least have surrogates at her disposal to do the whole supporting-Democrats-in-2014-thing for her. But if she takes a job that keeps her busy and out of the public eye, it probably means she isn't running. If, however, she writes a book, gives speeches, and sits on some not-for-profit boards with an honorary title, that means she's keeping her schedule open.

• Locked thread