Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Golden Bee posted:

Got tapped to raise funds for a large (3 Mil) deal. Heard some buzz about people creating various "Kickstarters for Investing", wondering if anyone knew where to look?

Tapped a few people but they're all in rewards-based funding (i.e. Kickstarter itself).

What kind of deal is it?
MicroVentures is a generic one, if you have a specific space there are more. Feel free to PM me if you want to keep it off the forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
Welp. One of the players on our softball team is out. I fronted the registration money for everyone, and everyone paid me back except this one person. She came to one game but didn't have the money on her, the next game she was sick and didn't come. Her and her boyfriend broke up now and she moved back to her parents house, which is more than an hour away, so she's basically off the team, and I'm out the thirty bucks for her registration. I figured she was good for it, because I had known her for several years. I'm kind of annoyed, but oh well. Looks like I'll just have to take that out of my discretionary spending for the month and go a little easy on the beer drinking.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
If you were in my area I'd come play on your sportsball team GAYS FOR DAYS.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

EugeneJ posted:

Returned the cable modem that I was leasing from Time Warner for $6/month since I bought my own.

My bill will now be $16/month for internet (tax included) :feelsgood:

This is the modem I bought used for $20 shipped if anyone's interested:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002M3SHXA/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Be sure you save your receipt that confirms you turned in the modem.

If they are anything like Comcast, when you finally have to cancel your service because you move or whatever they will try to ding you because you "did not turn in all equipment"

They are bastards

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

I wasn't paying attention
to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
in a more interesting way?
Hell Gem
When I moved, I cancelled Comcast, and put the modem in a box and mailed it back.

6 months later, I'd gotten a bill for the modem. I called in and told them that I had sent in the modem 6 months before, etc. The lady apologized and said, yes, they had received the modem, and I didn't have to worry about it.

A few months later, I found the modem, in the middle of all my stuff, ready to be shipped.

Dijkstra
May 21, 2002

Honestly I think Comcast just makes poo poo up as they go along. They don't actually have records of anything.

I had my own modem the whole time I was on comcast, so I never rented one. When I moved they owed me money since you basically prepay for service and I terminated like 3 days after the new billing cycle started. They said they would send me a check in 2-4 weeks. Fine, whatever.

Like two weeks later I got a nastygram and a $200 dollar bill for "unreturned equipment." I had to spend way too much time on the phone with them arguing that "no, the fact that I couldn't produce a return receipt for the cable modem was meaningless because I NEVER RENTED ONE FROM COMCAST"

It took over three months to finally get my refund from them.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Dijkstra posted:

Honestly I think Comcast just makes poo poo up as they go along. They don't actually have records of anything.
This is probably true. When we canceled Comcast before switching to Verizon, they never even asked for their equipment back. I think we still have it kicking around in our attic.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I accidentally had Comcast on a vacant apartment for a year and finally the bill found me. So I told them I cancelled a year ago and hadn't even lived there for a year and instantly they took the charge off their records and I never heard about it again.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
If you need to find a crowdfunding place, http://crowdfundbeat.com does solid reporting. I found a ton of places, so we'll see how everything goes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
University of Phoenix's new commercial is, no poo poo, "Wanna be an astronaut?"

All these University of Phoenix graduates getting jobs at NASA these days.

Edit: Apparently that commercial's been around for a while. Still :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yCKUmGcUU0

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jun 8, 2014

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I wonder how many people fell for those "Man can you believe we get paid to play video games all day?" make your own video game commercials Devry and the others used to advertise. I really would like to know how many people saw the commercials, how many people went and how many of those that signed up actually got a fair paying job in the field.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I went mountain biking yesterday morning and was having a great ride until I took a jump badly and bent the hell out of my wheel. It caught up in the forks and threw me end over end (my right clip never disengaged). Thankfully I'm unhurt, but my fun-money this month just took a big hit :(

I have to get this fixed and get riding, as it's only 6 weeks until the big event.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I wonder how many people fell for those "Man can you believe we get paid to play video games all day?" make your own video game commercials Devry and the others used to advertise. I really would like to know how many people saw the commercials, how many people went and how many of those that signed up actually got a fair paying job in the field.

Seeing as how level 3 doesn't always have the graphics sufficiently tightened up, I'd say zero to your second question.

FrozenVent posted:

University of Phoenix's new commercial is, no poo poo, "Wanna be an astronaut?"

All these University of Phoenix graduates getting jobs at NASA these days.

Edit: Apparently that commercial's been around for a while. Still :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yCKUmGcUU0

I work for a Fortune 50 company with a zillion employees. I was chatting with one of my friends in HR, and she told me a story about one of her friends at the same company who asked for some help on her husband's resume. He was unemployed and having trouble finding work and never getting interviews, so let's ask the HR expert to spruce up his resume.

He went to a good state school for undergraduate, had good work experience, but then got a University of Phoenix MBA :eng99:
Her advice to him was to take the Phoenix degree off of his resume. He went from getting zero interviews to getting interviews scheduled that ultimately led to the job he wanted.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Bad with money: As I may have mentioned in this thread, my wife and I are most likely buying a new car in the next few months. We have our eye on the 2015 Hyundai Sonata because I really like the redesign, the warranty is awesome, and the standard features/price ratio is excellent.

Less-bad with money: Hyundai, partnered with Boostup! is matching up to $500 of savings towards the purchase of a new sonata, so I opened my boostup account last night and funded it with $500 to get my free money.

We'll be buying from a high-volume dealer with no haggle pricing because their prices are impossible to beat around here. The current sonata's base model go for $17,999 with tax and $195 fees on top of that OTD. I'm hoping the pricing is similar between the 2014s and 2015s, since I'm thinking of springing for a "sport" model (shown above) with some more standard features and baller wheels, though I think I could stomach the base model as well (though we've yet to see the base model wheels). If the prices are comparable, the sport should be in the ballpark of $19,999 + tax + $195, which is thousands less than a similar Mazda 6 (which I really like) or Accord (which is also excellent).

The plan is to put about $10k down and finance the rest and try and pay it off before baby #2 shows up later this year.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I found out that along with my 401k I also have a pension through work, who knew! I will be vested in a few months, cool times for free money. It will have $40k in it by the end of the year.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
http://tinyurl.com/m6thycr

20k for a 2011 Mazda6... from a dealership. Just sayin.

But really, I'm kind of of the opinion that if you use something every day (and it's the kind of thing that you're picky about in terms of quality) it's worth spending extra to make sure that it isn't a thing that stresses you out with its shittiness. So it sounds like it makes sense for you to spend a bit more on a nice new car, since it doesn't sound like it will ruin you.

Compared to, say, nearly $100 in loving plastic cooking utensils, the quality of which is really indistinguishable from spending ten dollars on very similar stuff at a dollar store. I mean, there is no way that those utensils are almost ten times as nice as cheap ones.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 11, 2014

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

tuyop posted:

But really, I'm kind of of the opinion that if you use something every day (and it's the kind of thing that you're picky about in terms of quality) it's worth spending extra to make sure that it isn't a thing that stresses you out with its shittiness. So it sounds like it makes sense for you to spend a bit more on a nice new car, since it doesn't sound like it will ruin you.
I kind of agree with this. It's not 100% optimal moneywise, but having a car that you really like driving that makes you feel good can be worth a little extra, especially if you're going to be driving it a lot. Also, totally seconding the used Mazda6 recommendation; I've got essentially that same car tuyop linked to and it's baller as hell.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

tuyop posted:

Compared to, say, nearly $100 in loving plastic cooking utensils, the quality of which is really indistinguishable from spending ten dollars on very similar stuff at a dollar store. I mean, there is no way that those utensils are almost ten times as nice as cheap ones.

The 2014 Mazda 6 is all new and the darling of the automotive press right now, that 2011 you linked is a pretty terrible deal (though I guess it is loaded), at least around here. Mazda's, as you know, don't really hold their value exceedingly well.

I've never bought new before because I thought it was a waste of money, I think I've just gotten to a point where we've been pitching money at our three aging vehicles (two over 160k miles, truck over 138k miles - $2145 spent so far this year on maintenance) and if I can get something new and reliable before child #2 comes, now is the time to do it while we have some money. Not to mention I probably should be somewhat concerned with safety, as a modern car should be much safer for my family than a '99 and '01 cars. But I could be justifying, too.

If I can pay ~$21500 OTD for a brand spankin' new car that all the major powertrain stuff will be covered for 10yr/100k miles, it's nice piece of mind vs. buying a 3 year old Accord that is almost out of warranty for maybe $5k less if I get a good deal. Historically the accord would probably be exceedingly reliable, but it's hard to know the history of used cars unless you personally know the owner.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

dreesemonkey posted:

The 2014 Mazda 6 is all new and the darling of the automotive press right now, that 2011 you linked is a pretty terrible deal (though I guess it is loaded), at least around here. Mazda's, as you know, don't really hold their value exceedingly well.

Yeah I've got my eyes on the 2014 3 hatchback when the used market starts filling up with them. Bought new, will never buy new again, though having a warranty kicked rear end.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

dreesemonkey posted:

If I can pay ~$21500 OTD for a brand spankin' new car that all the major powertrain stuff will be covered for 10yr/100k miles, it's nice piece of mind vs. buying a 3 year old Accord that is almost out of warranty for maybe $5k less if I get a good deal. Historically the accord would probably be exceedingly reliable, but it's hard to know the history of used cars unless you personally know the owner.

Or you could just buy a 15-year-old car for under $500, knowing that no amount of yearly repairs (or in the case of expensive quotes, donations of the vehicle to your fire department's Jaws of Life training program) will ever make the hunk of junk cost as much as the price-tag plus insurance on a new car. :haw:

I'm currently driving a $250 1996 Grand Marquis with 114K miles on it. I'll never buy anything even semi-new ever again. :)

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

tuyop posted:

The link you posted says $60 and while it's still more than dollar store stuff, it's not that crazy. I bought the dollar store utensils when I first moved out, and they started chipping or melting from the heat. I don't want to think about how much plastic I ingested before I replaced them one at a time.

Humorously, we tend to buy Oxo stuff in our household. It's much higher quality, and is designed well.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Nocheez posted:

The link you posted says $60 and while it's still more than dollar store stuff, it's not that crazy. I bought the dollar store utensils when I first moved out, and they started chipping or melting from the heat. I don't want to think about how much plastic I ingested before I replaced them one at a time.

Humorously, we tend to buy Oxo stuff in our household. It's much higher quality, and is designed well.

CAD 82.27. :canada:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Plus taxes, comes up to around 95 or so.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz
I have a giant crack in my windshield. If I had caught it before it spread my insurance would have fixed it for free. Now I have to replace the whole thing. :(

xie
Jul 29, 2004

I GET UPSET WHEN PEOPLE SPEND THEIR MONEY ON WASTEFUL THINGS THAT I DONT APPROVE OF :capitalism:
I have been really trying to take control over my finances since June 1 (I moved and my rent more than doubled) and it's been going well so far. I spent $19 yesterday buying a round of drinks, but have been excellent about making lunch at home, making dinner at home, and not nickel and diming my way through the day (Soda here, Dunkin Donuts there, etc.) Still kicking myself about the $19, it's not that I can't afford it, but $20 a week adds up.

The hardest part has been Mint not connecting to my bank account for a while now and trying to figure out my girlfriend's retirement plan, which seems to have nothing in common with anything you can Google... from what I can tell it kind of sucks and at best will pay her out 12-20K a year if she works there her entire life.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Nocheez posted:

Agreed. That price doesn't seem all that ridiculous for what you get. Peeler, can-opener...and a good sized container. I wish I had of bought that set instead of buying individually, since I didn't buy dollar store.

I bike to work and brew my own beer at a savings of $100+ per month so that I can afford to buy decent kitchen utensils for $100...once.

Rick Rickshaw fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 11, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Sundae posted:

Or you could just buy a 15-year-old car for under $500, knowing that no amount of yearly repairs (or in the case of expensive quotes, donations of the vehicle to your fire department's Jaws of Life training program) will ever make the hunk of junk cost as much as the price-tag plus insurance on a new car. :haw:

I'm currently driving a $250 1996 Grand Marquis with 114K miles on it. I'll never buy anything even semi-new ever again. :)

Sure but would you put 2 little kids in the back seat? Most cars from that time period are not very safe at all.

I should rephrase, would your wife let you put 2 little kids in the back seat? (hint: the answer is no)

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

nickutz posted:

I have a giant crack in my windshield. If I had caught it before it spread my insurance would have fixed it for free. Now I have to replace the whole thing. :(
Ugh, I had the same thing. The crack grew really fast too. I haven't gotten it replaced though, going to wait as long as possible.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Always always always pay the extra $20/year or whatever to add Full Glass to your comprehensive insurance

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

EugeneJ posted:

Always always always pay the extra $20/year or whatever to add Full Glass to your comprehensive insurance
I've got car insurance with USAA, and I don't see Full Glass as an option.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!
It'll depend on the state. Not every state has full glass as a coverage option, to my knowledge.

Juanito
Jan 20, 2004

to what you just said.

Can you repeat yourself
Hell Gem

revengeanceful posted:

It'll depend on the state. Not every state has full glass as a coverage option, to my knowledge.
Thanks.

How bad is it to have an expired inspection sticker? Mine is going to expire soon, but we're moving to FL at the end of July, and I'm assuming I'd have to do get it done down there.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Agreed. That price doesn't seem all that ridiculous for what you get. Peeler, can-opener...and a good sized container. I wish I had of bought that set instead of buying individually, since I didn't buy dollar store.

I bike to work and brew my own beer at a savings of $100+ per month so that I can afford to buy decent kitchen utensils for $100...once.
My philosophy with kitchen stuff is to buy durable poo poo that will last more or less forever. Buy a nice cast iron skillet or two and use it your entire life, or replace a nonstick skillet every few years as the coating flakes off? Buy sturdy kitchen utensils, or repeatedly buy dollar stuff stuff that will melt from cooking heat? Buy nice pots, or buy cheapo ones that will dent and warp easily?

My only exception that I do buy cheap microwaveable containers for leftovers. It's not worth the hassle of lugging breakable or heavy stuff along with me to work.

revengeanceful
Sep 27, 2006

Glory, glory Man United!

Juanito posted:

Thanks.

How bad is it to have an expired inspection sticker? Mine is going to expire soon, but we're moving to FL at the end of July, and I'm assuming I'd have to do get it done down there.
If you get pulled over with one, it'll be a ticket and go on your driving record, pushing your insurance prices up for the next 3-ish years. Cops, at least around here, are very quick to pull people over for this, so I'd be careful about driving with an expired sticker.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Haifisch posted:

My philosophy with kitchen stuff is to buy durable poo poo that will last more or less forever. Buy a nice cast iron skillet or two and use it your entire life, or replace a nonstick skillet every few years as the coating flakes off? Buy sturdy kitchen utensils, or repeatedly buy dollar stuff stuff that will melt from cooking heat? Buy nice pots, or buy cheapo ones that will dent and warp easily?

My only exception that I do buy cheap microwaveable containers for leftovers. It's not worth the hassle of lugging breakable or heavy stuff along with me to work.

Yeah, as stuff wears out we're going to replace it with nice, cheap wooden utensils. Pans with cast iron. It'll be good, but our $60 worth of pans and utensils has lasted three years so far.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect

Sundae posted:

Not getting splattered by a sleeping truck driver when you inevitably break down on the side of the freeway is worth the cost of a newer car in my opinion.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Oh right, I forgot that every last one of us died in the 90s because apparently nothing was safe or functional. The early 2000s must've been one hell of a time, what with the tens of thousands of broken down cars from the 80s and 90s clogging the highways. Enjoy your car payment, I guess? :3:

quote:

I should rephrase, would your wife let you put 2 little kids in the back seat? (hint: the answer is no)

Hell, her car's even older than mine. She has a 1994 Toyota (Corolla? Camry? I never remember which model) with almost 200K miles on it. We 100% no question about it would absolutely put kids in the back seat of either her clunker or mine (if we had kids, which we intentionally don't because kids suck and are super expensive).

Driving without an inspection sticker... posted:

If you get pulled over with one, it'll be a ticket and go on your driving record, pushing your insurance prices up for the next 3-ish years.

Yep. It may depend on your state, but in my experience, states with inspection laws tend to consider driving without them to be on par with having an expired license plate. Not a good thing to do.

Cast iron pots and pans are awesome. Super heavy, but awesome as hell. We had a kickass iron skillet that went missing in our last move and losing it made us unnaturally sad.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jun 12, 2014

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I would guess people who think kids suck probably care little about their safety...

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Man it's kind of messed up how many people in this subforum use fear to justify their expenses. If you want a nice new car because you think it's better than an old crappy car, just say that. You want a nice new car, it's not controversial that it is in fact nicer in many ways than an old crappy car. That's ok, don't let it ruin you.

But I do not hate my children if I decide to put them in a $500 car so that I can afford totally excellent X Y or Z child-oriented thing that is much more likely to improve their life than a cheap car is to ruin it. gently caress, I don't even hate my children if I just buy a cottage with the savings. What's wrong with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

They are your kids, do what you will with them. I didn't say you had to do what I would do. But most of those cars that are that old are not so good on the safety compared to today. Protecting your own life is worth it alone. (And yes a 96 grand Marquis is 5 star rated, just don't get hit from the side...)

Also buying something that you want and plan for is always fine. Who cares if it is not the most frugal bfc thing ever?

spwrozek fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 12, 2014