Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
As much as I trash talk CoE4's user interface, I recently find myself preferring it to Civilization 5, with or without the Enhanced User Interface Mod. I might not be able to automate movement, but at least I'm not dealing with 1 UPT. I might not know anything about my 'cities', but poo poo don't really matter anyways. I'm not dealing with diplomacy offers that yank me away from all information or 20+ diplo popups, but that's because there is no such thing as diplomacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
That says something pretty frightening about the state of the civilization series.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

bakemono really don't have much exciting topend stuff do they, it's just that one ritual that, as far as i can tell, always summons the same things.

pretty fun class for the most part though. i guess they're maybe intended to be more of an early/mid-game class? basic rituals give you some of the same pretty strong things the later ones do just in smaller amounts, and so on

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
I was thinking about that the other day. coe has an ugly UI, but it's actually rather functional. This is a consequence of pretty good game design. You have a relatively pared down series of choices that all have major impact. Almost all your commands are represented by text which explains what it does. I can teach a friend how to play coe in half an hour or less. Hell, I can do it in a paragraph.

The screen isn't a mess of random icons and you don't get constant pop-ups or interruptions. It feels like it's nearly that perfect heroes of might and magic III level of complexity. (I'll get back to you in fifteen years to see if im still playing this)

The only piece of the interface that is actively bad is the transfer units screen. I have no excuse for that one.

In contrast , I still don't understand how to play any total war game. The tactical battle interface is ok, but the strategic game is such a god drat mess...

Eela6 fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Oct 13, 2016

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Add the spell descriptions for some of the spells to that list. When I get a bunch of lists with x = 0 or some such I have no idea what it does, how much damage it can do, or what it can target.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

SpruceZeus posted:

bakemono really don't have much exciting topend stuff do they, it's just that one ritual that, as far as i can tell, always summons the same things.

pretty fun class for the most part though. i guess they're maybe intended to be more of an early/mid-game class? basic rituals give you some of the same pretty strong things the later ones do just in smaller amounts, and so on

You can overcome a lot of nasty top-end creatures with a screen-filling army of lesser oni. I had a warlock game ended once when a bunch of my really strong summons got totally wrecked by an army of like 150 lesser oni and tengu. As with their regular troops, the power of Bakemono summons is in quantity rather than quality.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
This is especially true of Tengu. A few solid ranks of Tengu will outright massacre just about anything that isn't capable of completely ignoring a massive onslaught of low-damage wind strikes every turn.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
Does anyone have any advice for surviving the early game as Voice of El? I've tried starting as them three times and each time it's just painful. By the time I've found a few villages to convert and maybe broken one seal, another AI player will have a full sized army or two roaming around. The one game I reached two seals broken and the first "El sends more help" upgrade, I literally received one angel in 40 turns.

Maybe it's because I'm trying Fallen Empire? My next game starts with a pair of Lake Trolls directly next to my starting city. They proceed to eliminate me from the game on turn two.

ToiletDuckie fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Oct 17, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
el helps those who help themselves

joking aside, don't expect the angels to be particularly helpful, they're unpredictable and kind of stupid. try to get access to inquisition and crusade and make your blessing stronger, opening seals by itself only does so much

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Monarchy/Empire/New Empire is probably the easiest El starts, though you can make it work on other eras. See if you can get a start where your starting bishop gets a convert and mass convert spell - it's really quite effective at turning humans to your side and the very early game El troops are more often than not comprised largely of converted people.

Once you get a city or two under your belt, consolidate. Start your other guy converting settlements early, save up to promote your main guy until you unlock the inquisition/crusade. Those two are the major game-changers for El and will at the very least give you enough room to get your relic game up until you can run over everything with angel armies.

Don't forget to invest in any of the relic upgrades. El needs all three to prosper - high bless, lots of flagellant spawn and high-quality roaming Angels. It's fairly safe to invest in whichever one is cheapest at the moment.

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!
Geez (Doom Horror Spoiler). That last part of the description? Yup. That happens.

CARL MARK FORCE IV
Sep 2, 2007

I took a walk. And threw up in an English garden.
How are you guys getting doom horrors on the map? I've played dozens of cultist games & still haven't seen one.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

The one I saw showed up in a gold mine.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

I have gotten them a lot from a fisherman loving around with a cube from space. Or some came out of pyramids at some point too. Nothing reliable exactly.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
How would you even kill that?

colonp
Apr 21, 2007
Hi!

Canopus250 posted:

I have gotten them a lot from a fisherman loving around with a cube from space.

That's where this one came from. After losing a decent army, and only killing 4 out of 7 Star Oaks in process, I just.. left.. that corner of the map.

Azuth0667 posted:

Air Elemental spam maybe? Probably not worth the resources.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Azuth0667 posted:

A lucky smite or soul slay would be the easiest way. On `average~, assuming it doesn't resist, you'll kill it in one shot.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Those are usually negated by magic resistance, aren't they? Doom Horrors tend to have rather a lot of that.

I can confirm that air elemental spam hilariously ruins the Maker of Ruins. Basically anything non-flying is going to instantly eat poo poo to its nonstop earthquake spam though.

e: it is not, to my knowledge, possible to summon Doom Horrors. They are unique, can occasionally be found pre-spawned in weird places like the elemental Nexus, and usually show up (seemingly rarely) in the Void, where they seem to either wander onto an Elysium access point and start rampaging or make their way to a Forest of Cubes and slumber there, silent and terrible.

e2:

Horrorburg design document posted:

Gnashing Tree: In spite of their well-deserved reputation as demented, hedonistic degenerates, the lowland Hoburgs do seem to possess the same natural talent for horticulture as their more civilized counterparts. Unfortunately, their gardeners are just as weed-warped as the rest of them, and would rather tend their horrible cube forests than cultivate anything of worth. The Gnashing Tree is the product of their worst excesses: they “plant” shining, Void-wrought cubes in each of the bodies recovered from the latest party, pile them all together, and sing to the corpses every day while they grow. The resulting creature is a warped, immobile abomination of twisted flesh, staring eyes, grasping limbs, and slavering maws, ever hungry for sustenance of any kind. The lowland Hoburgs seem enormously fond of the Gnashing Trees and are frequently seen feeding them, talking to them, and helping them smoke; some Gnashing Trees have been known to hum or quietly sing to themselves when particularly calm, and the Hoburgs nearby always fall silent and listen as though enraptured.

I probably shouldn't be having this much fun designing gut-wrenchingly disturbing body horror nightmare creatures.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Oct 18, 2016

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
diplo that is loving sweet as hell

whatsyerface, i love the better homeland defense mod but i'm curious why some factions have a lone tower guard guardian unit; iirc the burgmeister got one, among others?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i pitted a god emperor, god empress and some ballista against the maker of ruins and the doom horror came out on top

if you go against a doom horror you're probably not going to win

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

A mood horror!?!?

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Yeah I ran a ludicrously overpowered test unit, a bunch of Ether Mages, and like 30 Ether Warriors into the Slave to Unreason and it just utterly wiped the goddamn floor with them. You can cheese the Maker of Ruins with tengu or lesser air elemental spam - basically anything that flies, shoots lightning, and is available in huge quantities - but the Slave is nigh unbeatable as far as I can tell. You might be able to beat it with a bunch of the biggest golem types, since they're mindless and very tanky, but if it can Incorporate things as large as or larger than itself then nah gently caress that you basically can't kill it.

tl;dr: don't gently caress with Doom Horrors.

Tollymain posted:

diplo that is loving sweet as hell

Thanks! I might post more in a bit and ask you folks to hit me up with some feedback; I accidentally made the Horrorburg aesthetic be basically "creepy hobbit hillbillies that got taken over by a televangelist hedonism cult which in turn spiralled into madness due to Void exposure" and while I'm 100% into that concept, I'm not sure if it'll come across as weird and inconsistent in-game when you have a sleazy hoburg bagman hooking human farmers on drugs while your Lovecraftian doom wizard sits ten feet away mutating chitinous slaughter hogs for your terror knights to ride.

e: I'll post the two basic, non-mage commanders here to give you an idea of the sheer difference in aesthetic that's worrying me. I kind of want them to start out seeming creepy but relatively mundane, and steadily ramp up to oh god what levels of hosed up poo poo with units like the Gnashing Tree as the game goes on.

quote:

Bagman: The rural Hoburgs of the southern lowlands have always been considered rather backwards by their less provincial peers, so it is perhaps unsurprising that they were almost entirely ignored - and eventually more or less forgotten about - during a spate of military unpleasantries between the Burgmeister and the Graf. In the absence of civilizing leadership, the lowlands naturally degenerated into a loose affiliation of insular farming communities, connected mainly by shared isolation, their collective disdain for their stodgy northern cousins, and the basic practicalities of trade. However, the parochial southerners are still Hoburgs at heart, and their interest in exotic foods and intoxicants inevitably wins over their intense mistrust of anything foreign. When they notice an interesting new crop in adjoining lands, they send a Bagman to share a pipe with the farmers and discuss employing some Hoburg farmhands. Within weeks, the farm grows into another insular Hoburg community; when asked where the original farmers have gone, the lowlanders merely shrug and mutter about nosy outsiders.
You start with one of these dudes as a secondary commander. He's poo poo in a fight but he can terraform farms into Hoburg nodes. I might cut the first chunk of this description off and put it in the faction's class description.

quote:

Rake: Every now and then, a Bagman will inadvertently develop an unseemly fondness for travel and trade. This distasteful curiosity somewhat alienates him from his provincial peers, further encouraging him to wander far afield and ply his trade as an itinerant huckster. Between his experience as a Bagman, his uncharacteristic willingness to travel, and his shrewdly entrepreneurial spirit, the Rake is a canny opportunist and a salesman of considerable merit. There are persistent rumours of human hamlets degenerating into hedonistic squalor after being visited by a traveling Rake. Unfortunately, such rumours are difficult to follow up on, as the communities in question now appear to be inhabited by Hoburg lowlanders, all of whom insist that they have never heard of any hamlet, that their family has owned this farm for generations, and that any lying outsiders who say otherwise had better not show their faces around here if they know what’s good for them.
The Bagman can be mastery'd into this dude. He trades his sling up for a crossbow, has a snake oil "attack" that buffs allies one or two at a time, and has a ritual that downgrades a hamlet or coastal hamlet to a farm (which he can then terraform) and summons a crapton of Wastrels - humans who've had their minds burned out of their skulls by bad void weed trips and are now mindless, expendable shock troops.

I like the "Lord of the Rings meets Deliverance or some poo poo" feel these guys have, I'm just worried they'll clash with the really nightmarish stuff later on. Also, sorry for the :words:

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Oct 21, 2016

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark

Angry Diplomat posted:

Also, sorry for the :words:

Don't be, you're doing God's work. Which God, I'm not sure, but keep it up, you have the tone of the original game's description down pat.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Spent a couple hours conquering some planes as a warlock and took some screenshots of them because it's very rare for people to see them:

Hell is pretty big, you've got a central area with a capitol, a fire area, an ice area, and a bunch of tunnels leading to caves with very little in them. It's got enough economic buildings and cool landmarks to be worth conquering at least once, IMO.

The elemental planes on the other hand have loving nothing, just the citadels for the elemental kings. You can see I stopped exploring fire and water because I accidentally walked the commander into the void and didn't feel like bringing another one all the way from elysium. It's weird that warlocks get half price on pacts there considering that there's no guaranteed way to get to them other than maybe the gateway in Agartha to Earth (I don't know if there's always one there). The nexus is really the only useful part because it lets you recruit ether warriors. I feel like you should be able to promote warlocks to rainbow warlocks at the nexus and citadels should give shitloads of gems (there's actually no gem income at all on the planes), otherwise there's basically no reason to visit them ever.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Nah, warlocks shouldn't turn themselves into rainbows. They should get some benefit for invading the opposing elemental plane and killing its kings dead.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I managed to conquer the icy part of hell once because the game puts swamps there :shroom: :shroom: :witch: :shroom: :shroom:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Nanomashoes posted:

The elemental planes on the other hand have loving nothing, just the citadels for the elemental kings. You can see I stopped exploring fire and water because I accidentally walked the commander into the void and didn't feel like bringing another one all the way from elysium. It's weird that warlocks get half price on pacts there considering that there's no guaranteed way to get to them other than maybe the gateway in Agartha to Earth (I don't know if there's always one there). The nexus is really the only useful part because it lets you recruit ether warriors. I feel like you should be able to promote warlocks to rainbow warlocks at the nexus and citadels should give shitloads of gems (there's actually no gem income at all on the planes), otherwise there's basically no reason to visit them ever.

I'm fairly certain that earth warlocks can summon up stuff that can tunnel, giving you guaranteed access to the planes.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

NewMars posted:

I'm fairly certain that earth warlocks can summon up stuff that can tunnel, giving you guaranteed access to the planes.

To agartha and inferno. I don't know if there's always a gateway to the planes in agartha, but so far there has been for me so probably. Thing is though, agartha is mostly just rock walls and is super annoying to explore if you don't have scrying like the pale ones.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Agartha takes forever to explore. As an Earth Warlock your best bet is to summon a million Champions of Earth and have them all independently passwall around until you find something remotely interesting.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

ive foolishly cast miasma on every swamp on the map and now every time i hire a new witch and send her to a swamp to promote her to a hag its a tossup whether she gets to take the turn necessary to use the ritual or just dies to the gas

what a problem to have

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

SpruceZeus posted:

ive foolishly cast miasma on every swamp on the map and now every time i hire a new witch and send her to a swamp to promote her to a hag its a tossup whether she gets to take the turn necessary to use the ritual or just dies to the gas

what a problem to have

Did you first turn every farm on the map into a swamp?

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

if you dont turn every farm into a swamp youre witching wrong :v:

e: lmao there's a swamp right next to geryon's citadel, eat poo poo geryon

ee: that dumb cube event happened so i had to go back to elysium real quick but im charming ether lords and things now, so

also i found an unmiasma'd swamp to promote my witches in. yay. time to conquer hell with actual dozens of bog witches i guess

eee: lmao i'm not cut off from inferno proper by a sea like i was last time, i can just stroll right over there. the capitolium is right next to the edge of the frozen part actually.

man i really hope i can pull this off haha. i wonder how many bog witches it's gonna take to bring down belial

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Oct 23, 2016

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

quote:

Droning Behemoth: Under the insane guidance of their King-Upon-Dust, the degenerate lowlander cults have unleashed horrors of all kinds, ranging from the strange and macabre to the unthinkably nightmarish. The Behemoth is very much the latter sort of creature. It is a titanic, hideously beautiful thing, whose prismatic, living geometry refracts maddening images of the Void in countless glittering cubes-within-cubes; writhing darkness slavers from its crystalline maw, and far too many radiant eyes dart about within its starry ichor. The sight of the creature is enough to strike fear into the hearts of men, and the hellish, otherworldly droning sound it emits has been known to drive recruits and seasoned veterans alike to madness, leaving them gibbering and cackling as they are devoured alive. The lowland Hoburgs seem strangely unbothered by the noise, and the Behemoth moves with curious placidity when passing among them, like a well-trained hound being careful not to hurt small children.

This charming fellow is going to be one of the endgame summons for the Horrorburgs, along with a couple of other Behemoths. I welcome any feedback on the writing, but the main thing I wanted to ask is this: do you think it would be a good idea to make the Behemoths horrendously powerful, but expensive and uncontrollable (i.e. Stupid) summons? I like the idea of summoning one of these guys near enemy territory and then pissing off to chortle and twirl your moustache while it rampages independently, but I'm worried about two things: endgame summons that sit around eating deer and snakes next to an ancient forest, and endgame summons that you can't bring into other planes with you, or indeed summon at all on any other planes due to terrain requirements on the ritual.

Thoughts?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
This is a long shot, but how about having it start as a controlled unit and then growing up into a stupid unit? You should be able to steal some of the code from Dvalas to have the big impressive creatures serve you for x months and then just wander around as a second form.

Or you could really shoot for the stars by combining swallow whole and the hydra head code for a monster that grows too powerful for the player to control. Or you could do a comparatively straightforward monster that goes on a stupid rampage if it takes too much damage. I know the first worked in COE3 due to the Draconian mod, but I haven't seen it in COE4 yet.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Those are all really cool ideas, holy poo poo :stare:

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Side note, can you create horror units that spawn shittier horrors each turn? Like raving hoburgs?

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
That draconian mod for COE3 was pretty crazy. The biggest problem was that they gated dragon fledglings behind summoning a mamma dragon with level 3 spells and a chance to be hostile. Playing pokemon with those flying fledglings involved trying to fight the biggest thing you could reliably swallow. Trolls were great for that. Then you were a young dragon that could cast spells and swallow stuff. Next was being an adult dragon with level 2 spells. After that was a crappy form that looked like a salamander that you wanted to turn into a stationary guard dragon at major mines. The mod also resurrected multi attack "formations" from COE2. I can find the original source if you want to look at the code.

I am worried that the multi-form stupid stuff might not work. But what is the worst that can happen?

You can totally make a horror that spawns more horrors.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Make a horror faction, starts in the void pls.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If I'm playing Singleplayer, should I get into this or Dominions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

this is better for singleplayer, but both games have their charms. if you want to actually get into dom4, though, then you might want to consider checking out the irc channel for it.

• Locked thread