Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bad news Rhyno WalMart wants your job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

They used to have an enormous book section as well. People primarily shop at WM don't do books, even if they do have pictures in them.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I was surprised when I went to a Barnes and Noble for the first time in like 2-3 years on Sunday, because their comic section was pretty large compared to my memory. An entire aisle of old comics + collections + 'handbook' style things, a second aisle that was all new releases, DC on the left, Marvel on the right - independent/Image/Blackhorse were at the end of the aisle on both sides of it. And a whole third aisle for manga.

Not quite as big as a comic book shop, and no real 'bargain bin' or figurines or whatever memorabilia, but it was enough that if you just wanted comics, you could find some.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Len posted:

I've never watched wrestling before but I'm three or four episodes into Lucha Underground. It's every bit as over the top as I always hoped a show about luchas would be.

You're just at the tip of the iceberg. It goes full-on bonkers after a while, but in the best way. Especially everything involving Pentagon Jr.

Coincidentally, those first few episodes had to be rewritten last minute after a bunch of the roster got held up due to border issues. So you've probably yet to see a guy who is Kraven the Hunter reimagined as a luchador cowboy.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Soonmot posted:

No one actually did this. Not even WH is that crazy, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWXMJP1J-3Y

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Rhyno posted:

No the unmasked era. According to the C&D my friend got Rey's face was a closely guarded secret. It was the most insane thing I ever read. I think there was a Reddit thread on it.
Is it possible for your friend to reply to the C&D with a single URL?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CapnAndy posted:

Is it possible for your friend to reply to the C&D with a single URL?

That was pretty much what he did and he never heard back.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Jesus who writes this poo poo

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

SunAndSpring posted:

It's actually good.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

It's actually good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5g_gs6nnyo

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

SunAndSpring posted:

Someone who probably gets a lot of hate mail filled with stuff that's not quite as bad as Bor is saying, but probably still worse than you think.

To an extent, stuff like the Absorbing Man scene or this is a form of catharsis/response by ridicule.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

It's also both funny and relevant.

Well, insofar as any comic will ever be 'relevant'.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Christ

Marvel CEO Ike Perlmutter Gives $1M to Trump's Veterans Fundraiser

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/marvel-ceo-ike-perlmutter-gives-860301?utm_source=fark&utm_medium=website&utm_content=link

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Ms. Marvel's G. Willow Wilson's not happy about it.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Clearly he didn't read the latest issue of Angela: Queen of Hel, which has a pretty trenchant takedown of that sort of thing

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

KittyEmpress posted:

It's also both funny and relevant.

Well, insofar as any comic will ever be 'relevant'.

Where's the joke, it's just a bunch of internet memes

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

- Guy who used a Triumph video as a response.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Yeah Perlmutter is a pretty awful person. First time I heard about him is when he fired Scott "Pondscum" Elmer, who was integral to Marvel's reprints program and extremely well liked at the company, just as a show of power. Later on he cut Marvel's offices down to a woman's and a men's bathroom and that was it. He's pretty much a stock 80s movie villain exec come to life. He needs to be ousted.

Teenage Fansub posted:

Ms. Marvel's G. Willow Wilson's not happy about it.

If she makes enough stink about it she's gonna be unfortunately removed from the book and fired (if she's exclusive) unless the money Ms Marvel brings in is enough to make up for it, I dunno. Supposedly it does crazy digital sales but who knows if that's enough for Perlmutter to put up with an employee publicly questioning him?

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 30, 2016

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Ike has forwarded her information to Trump Deportation Services, on standby to deploy January 20, 2017.

"But I'm an American! From Jersey!"
"Say hello to Muhammad for me."

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

I wonder if Permutter is on Disney's poo poo list after all the bad press (and lost revenue) they got for the whole "Where's Rey?" thing. Don't kind yourself that he's not the source of that.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

She's already cut down on writing because her kid is battling cancer. That'd be quite a bad press bomb.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
What's Where's Rey?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

boom boom boom posted:

What's Where's Rey?

The fact that there's almost no Rey merchandise for Star Wars, up to and including stuff like her not being one of the playable characters in Star Wars Monopoly.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

muscles like this? posted:

The fact that there's almost no Rey merchandise for Star Wars, up to and including stuff like her not being one of the playable characters in Star Wars Monopoly.

Reportedly, Disney bought Marvel and Star Wars so they could capture the boy's market. They seemed to be banking on Kylo Ren being the big deal and have invested a ton of money into worthless Ren merchandise. Rey's popularity has blindsided them apparently.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

It's like that time they made toys for Avatar the Last Air Bender but didn't make toys of any of the girl characters

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

It's like that time they made toys for Avatar the Last Air Bender but didn't make toys of any of the girl characters

Worse is they barely made any Korra figures for Korra!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lightning Lord posted:

Reportedly, Disney bought Marvel and Star Wars so they could capture the boy's market. They seemed to be banking on Kylo Ren being the big deal and have invested a ton of money into worthless Ren merchandise. Rey's popularity has blindsided them apparently.

The fact that they thought Kylo Ren was the big cash cow surprised me more than that they didn't bank on Rey. On the other hand, he is the only white dude in the new cast... so maybe I shouldn't have been shocked?

I seriously assumed #Where'sRey was due to Disney putting their eggs in the Finn basket. The marketing of the movie did not make Ren seem like the focus at all. (And the movie doesn't really either. Rey's clearly the hero.)

Lightning Lord posted:

Worse is they barely made any Korra figures for Korra!

Well, if you give kids a Korra and an Asami doll, they might catch the gay.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It's kind of crazy how all the Star Wars toy commercials are still just showing Finn with a lightsaber, not Rey.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Even worse, they made Korra.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Gaz-L posted:

The fact that they thought Kylo Ren was the big cash cow surprised me more than that they didn't bank on Rey. On the other hand, he is the only white dude in the new cast... so maybe I shouldn't have been shocked?

I think it's more what a hit Darth Vader and Darth Maul were in terms of merchandising. They were expecting that trend to just repeat.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

Rey's absence is inexcusable, but Kylo Ren is the Darth Vader clone-it makes perfect sense from their perspective to bank on him being the break out star. Again, it's totally sexism just like with Black Widow that there's not enough Rey march or focus in the marketing, but if you put a gun to someone's head and said "which of these characters is the most marketable?" they'd totally pick Kylo, so focusing on him the most out of everyone was a logical decision.

Plus, a buddy of mine saw Kylo Ren take his shirt off in the shower and he said that Kylo Ren had an 8 pack. That Kylo Ren was shredded. Who doesn't want a toy of such a cool dude?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

It's kind of crazy how all the Star Wars toy commercials are still just showing Finn with a lightsaber, not Rey.

Silly muscles like this?, that would make kids think a GIRL could be a Jedi!

WickedHate posted:

Plus, a buddy of mine saw Kylo Ren take his shirt off in the shower and he said that Kylo Ren had an 8 pack. That Kylo Ren was shredded. Who doesn't want a toy of such a cool dude?

Strong point, and well made.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lightning Lord posted:

Who could have guessed the protagonist would be popular.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

I wonder if Permutter is on Disney's poo poo list after all the bad press (and lost revenue) they got for the whole "Where's Rey?" thing. Don't kind yourself that he's not the source of that.

Yes I'm sure a guy that has nothing to do with Lucasfilm at all is definitely behind Lucasfilm's failings. I believe the person you should probably turn to your focus to in this respect is Kathleen Kennedy or Bob Iger or even more likely Hasbro.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lucasfilm still exists?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Lurdiak posted:

Lucasfilm still exists?

Yes, they are the company in charge of Star Wars. They are owned by Disney. The only thing Marvel has to do with Star Wars is the comics they publish.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

WickedHate posted:

Again, it's totally sexism just like with Black Widow

Lack of Black Widow merchandise was a Perlmutter choice. Between this and the Rey backlash, I expect otherwise when Avengers 3 comes out.

Lurdiak posted:

Lucasfilm still exists?

Much like Marvel, it's a wholly owned subsidiary of Disney now. Force Awakens had a Lucasfilm logo at the beginning.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am surprised they banked on Ren as visually he isn't very interesting. His light saber gimmick is boring and his armor looks like a low rent Revan knockoff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Marvel is already working on correcting stuff as they have Black Widow toys for Civil War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am surprised they banked on Ren as visually he isn't very interesting. His light saber gimmick is boring and his armor looks like a low rent Revan knockoff.

That's a failure on whoever designed Ren or approved his design, but he's still the Darth Vader clone.

• Locked thread