Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

chitoryu12 posted:

Here's the real version of that steampunk:

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

chitoryu12 posted:

Here's the real version of that flintlock pistol/flashlight:

How were you supposed to aim that?!

DocGator
May 6, 2007

Samovar posted:

I assume you just shove the barrel point-blank into the other guys face and pull the trigger

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Samovar posted:

See when I picked the thing up when I played the game, I was confused and thought they'd put the treasure upside down in the menu... for some reason. Y'know personally I'd rather have the flashlight part be upside down than the gun part but then again I am not a pirate.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Aiming with early smooth bore gunpowder weaponry is more of a vague concept than a concrete practice. Even if you do take careful aim your range is going to be like, a little over a hundred yards at best. And that's with a long barreled weapon.

It's why armies that used those kinds of weapons tended to bunch up into really big groups and get really close to each other.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Oct 2, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So... is it actually supposed to be held like that, or is it just displayed upside-down because it'd be impossible to stand it upright?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cleretic posted:

So... is it actually supposed to be held like that, or is it just displayed upside-down because it'd be impossible to stand it upright?

The bit of metal near the top that looks like a water pump lever is the trigger for the gun. So unless they expect you to pull it with your pinky, yeah that's how you're supposed to hold it somehow.

edit:

Also, the shutter that opens up lamp isn't like a reservoir for an oil or gas lantern or whatever.

It's a receptacle for a candle. :shepface:

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Oct 2, 2016

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

CJacobs posted:

See when I picked the thing up when I played the game, I was confused and thought they'd put the treasure upside down in the menu... for some reason. Y'know personally I'd rather have the flashlight part be upside down than the gun part but then again I am not a pirate.
Perhaps there were concerns about heat from the candle going up to the parts where all the gunpowder was, which was often not particularly well contained and a small portion of which was placed semi-externally on the pistol because of the way a flintlock operates.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I'm sure it's based on the original etymology, but we've been using "kak" as slang for "poo poo" for as long as I've been alive here in northern England but I had no idea it actually meant anything in any other language.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

malkav11 posted:

The combat seems way better paced in this one than the previous three. I completely refused to finish the first Uncharted after how bullet spongy the enemies were and how much of a slog the fights were as a result, and even in 2 and 3, which were better about it, it felt like any given combat sequence was going to be a minimum of like 7-8 minutes, often substantially more. Here we still haven't seen one take more than, like...4.

the combat has become infinitely better across the games. uncharted 4 definitely has the best combat in the series. they've definitely gotten a lot better at this stuff over time. I wasn't a fan of combat in the previous uncharted stuff, tlou was much better but mostly just serviceable to me (I liked it more in the mp), and now in u4 they've improved it again. this game has the best gunplay they've ever done

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

CJacobs posted:

The first game totally had steel fist! I remember Ironicus getting very excited about it and calling it stone fist for the entire let's play! Unless you mean it's different mechanically.

Is this true? Because I mught have enjoyed the first game a lot more if I knew I could play more aggressively.

Steel fist feels like a semi secret feature as even Uncharted 4 doesn't actually go through the effort to teach you about it.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

paragon1 posted:

Aiming with early smooth bore gunpowder weaponry is more of a vague concept than a concrete practice. Even if you do take careful aim your range is going to be like, a little over a hundred yards at best. And that's with a long barreled weapon.

It's why armies that used those kinds of weapons tended to bunch up into really big groups and get really close to each other.

Well, sort of. Smoothbore firearms can actually achieve excellent accuracy, not quite on par with rifled guns but still good enough that you'll hit what you're aiming at within typical combat ranges for your pistol or musket.

The problem is that this is dependent on a properly sized bullet that tightly fits into the bore. Black powder is notoriously dirty when burning, so every shot further clogs the barrel with soot. Armies got around this problem by issuing bullets that were grossly undersized; the Brown Bess musket used by both sides in the American Revolution was nominally .75 caliber, but was issued with a .69 caliber ball. You could keep loading these small balls (shush) down the barrel for a dozen or more shots without needing to clean the gun, at the cost of having absolutely abysmal accuracy. Hunters and target shooters were able to afford cleaning their guns in between each shot, so they could use tightly fitting balls (shush) that went in a straight line most of the way.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I understand that rifling has also been a thing for quite a while, at least as far back as the 1700s, they were simply relegated to things like hunting purposes for a long time since to get anything out of the rifling, you need a tight fitting ball, and if you thought ramming a tight fitting ball down a smoothbore was already a hell of a time, oh boy.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

chinese barbecue porp posted:

Is this true? Because I mught have enjoyed the first game a lot more if I knew I could play more aggressively.

Steel fist feels like a semi secret feature as even Uncharted 4 doesn't actually go through the effort to teach you about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqYWDZEthyw&t=337s

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Fish Noise posted:

I understand that rifling has also been a thing for quite a while, at least as far back as the 1700s, they were simply relegated to things like hunting purposes for a long time since to get anything out of the rifling, you need a tight fitting ball, and if you thought ramming a tight fitting ball down a smoothbore was already a hell of a time, oh boy.

That, and for a long time rifling a barrel was too expensive and time-consuming to produce in the numbers an army needed.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Oh, that thing. That's kinda different from steel fist though?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is different mechanically, yeah. Functionally it's basically the same though.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

sleepy.eyes posted:

About frogs being turtles, the Germans agree with you Ironicus! Turtle translates to Schildkröte. Schild = shield, kröte = toad. A turtle is a shield toad!

German animal names and their direct translations are the best thing.

And your post made me realize that it's exactly the same in Finnish. Kilpikonna, shield toad. :stare:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

chinese barbecue porp posted:

Oh, that thing. That's kinda different from steel fist though?

Actual steel fist is mentioned in that exact same video a little after the 6 minute mark. :v:

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
:downsgun:

Allrighty then.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Well, sort of. Smoothbore firearms can actually achieve excellent accuracy, not quite on par with rifled guns but still good enough that you'll hit what you're aiming at within typical combat ranges for your pistol or musket.

I was under the impression that using a spherical shot rather than the more aerodynamic bullet designs we have today also contributed to the poor accuracy.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Wheany posted:

And your post made me realize that it's exactly the same in Finnish. Kilpikonna, shield toad. :stare:

…and Swedish: sköld + padda.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
[b]BUNNIES ARE CUTE BUT DEADLY/b]
did chip even fire the firelock?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

bunnyofdoom posted:

did chip even fire the firelock?

He didn't, but I don't think he replaced it either. There might still be flintlock usage in the future.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shoeless posted:

I was under the impression that using a spherical shot rather than the more aerodynamic bullet designs we have today also contributed to the poor accuracy.

That's correct, but you can still get appreciable accuracy out of a smoothbore firing round shot as long as the bullet is fitting tightly. Not as good as a rifle, but better than "Can't reliably hit a man at 100 yards" as typical military muskets with undersized bullets shot.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer

CJacobs posted:

He didn't, but I don't think he replaced it either. There might still be flintlock usage in the future.

It turns out you can usually find a well hidden flintlock pistol just about everywhere in the game if you look hard enough. Chip still has plenty of opportunity to show it off even if he never fires the one he just picked up in this last video.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I hope it's a terrible weapon. But it's probably not.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Wheany posted:

Holland fourths this fact
Looks like you messed up england!

Da_Higg
Oct 15, 2012

DeafNote posted:

Holland fourths this fact
Looks like you messed up england!

Eh, blame the French, we stole it from them...

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Look who arrived today:

FREEDOM!

I was into sitting before it was cool.

Hmm. Yes.

(He's gonna make the best X-mas gift for my little niece.)

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Xinder posted:

I hope it's a terrible weapon. But it's probably not.

Any gun that's gold-yellow instead of white is typically a one-shot type that holds very little ammo. Sometimes if you only nick a guy in the arm it's a two-shot, but for the most part yellow-gold guns are one shotters.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Samovar posted:

Digging around it was apparently for night hunting, but exclusively at close range.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

Digging around it was apparently for night hunting, but exclusively at close range.

The estimated value starts only around $965, which is surprisingly little for what looks like a pretty rare piece of equipment.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

kalonZombie posted:

Any gun that's gold-yellow instead of white is typically a one-shot type that holds very little ammo. Sometimes if you only nick a guy in the arm it's a two-shot, but for the most part yellow-gold guns are one shotters.

Gameplay wise that makes sense and is fine, but I'd be happier if the flintlock was really lovely for historical accuracy. But this is Uncharted we're talking about, so I can't really complain about that.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Xinder posted:

Gameplay wise that makes sense and is fine, but I'd be happier if the flintlock was really lovely for historical accuracy. But this is Uncharted we're talking about, so I can't really complain about that.

For historical accuracy, I'm pretty sure a loaded flintlock left in a damp Scottish cave for a few hundred years would never fire in a million tries. Like, there is no way that the powder is not useless as poo poo and the metal parts rusted to hell. Even the wood should probably be rotted and warped, look at the stairs/bridges/everything else around.

But as you say, Uncharted gameplay beats realism.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
A cool thing about the mateba I learned thanks to IMFDB and the power of photo mode:

Drake physically closes the cylinder with his hand, unlike every revolver in every video game ever made where the user just snaps it shut with their wrist. If I was a gun nut I would probably find that pretty nifty.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

CJacobs posted:

A cool thing about the mateba I learned thanks to IMFDB and the power of photo mode:

Drake physically closes the cylinder with his hand, unlike every revolver in every video game ever made where the user just snaps it shut with their wrist. If I was a gun nut I would probably find that pretty nifty.

I definitely find that nifty since any revolver owner worth their salt knows that snapping the cylinder can seriously gently caress up the timing of your gun and doubly so for something as weird as the Unica. He still apparently just drops the speedloader to the ground like a candy wrapper though.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
It's called a magazine.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

George posted:

It's called a magazine.

Its a clip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I think that's called a pineapple actually.

• Locked thread