Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I remember having a dream back in the late 90s where Billy explained his shaved head. He said "God tells me what music to write, sends like a divine radio signal right into my brain. Sometimes, it's scratchy, so I shaved my head to get better reception."

That sounds like a real quote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

SUNKOS posted:

That sounds like a real quote.

I know! Floored me when I woke up. I don't think up this stuff normally.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

SUNKOS posted:

Wayne passed away and his partner took her life not long after, it's really tragic. Hard not to feel like ex-bandmates aren't cashing-in on it either considering they got Edsel Dope to fill-in for Wayne and wear a mask to literally look like him. Whole thing's gross, especially considering Wayne fired those guys long before passing and formed a new line-up.

From what I understand the whole thing is supported by Wayne's family. The whole thing is basically a tribute to him. Like from someone just reading about it it seems pretty gross and exploitive but everyone involved is trying to do the right thing.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

I remember having a dream back in the late 90s where Billy explained his shaved head. He said "God tells me what music to write, sends like a divine radio signal right into my brain. Sometimes, it's scratchy, so I shaved my head to get better reception."

It's because he has male pattern baldness op

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Caused by god to give him better reception

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Baron von Eevl posted:

See Kim Thayil's story about him wanting to be "the cute one."

The podcast Bandsplain did an episode on the Smashing Pumpkins and the way they described the Kim Thayil story just sounded like the funniest poo poo ever.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gORLEfD7McA

I know it's not saying much, and I don't even mean for it to say much, but this is probably my favourite track from ATUM: Volume Whatever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gORLEfD7McA

I know it's not saying much, and I don't even mean for it to say much, but this is probably my favourite track from ATUM: Volume Whatever.

I liked the music but laughed really hard when I heard EMPIRES!

The tracks I've heard from ATUM have this "this sounds like a song by another band I like" sound to them with funny lyrics.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

I know we've commented how wasted Jimmy is but watching that really highlighted how James and Jeff are also left with nothing to do. I think I heard a guitar lead with whammy screeching along (?) but it was buried so deep in the mix it's barely audible, and it is such a boring and basic riff for a band with three highly talented guitarists. I'm convinced this was all recorded by Billy on his own (even programming the drums himself) and the rest of the band is there for live shows only. poo poo, didn't James just stop playing to clap along at one point? :lol:

What a waste of talent. I think we'd probably get better Pumpkins material if Jimmy, James and Jeff left and started a new band with someone else singing.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SUNKOS posted:

I know we've commented how wasted Jimmy is but watching that really highlighted how James and Jeff are also left with nothing to do. I think I heard a guitar lead with whammy screeching along (?) but it was buried so deep in the mix it's barely audible, and it is such a boring and basic riff for a band with three highly talented guitarists. I'm convinced this was all recorded by Billy on his own (even programming the drums himself) and the rest of the band is there for live shows only. poo poo, didn't James just stop playing to clap along at one point? :lol:

What a waste of talent. I think we'd probably get better Pumpkins material if Jimmy, James and Jeff left and started a new band with someone else singing.

I think what I liked the most about the Zeitgeist era stuff is he let Jimmy do his thing. He makes some of those songs some really cool and Billy's guitar work is fantastic. But for as much of an egomaniac Billy was before, he's further emboldened now. You can hear how mad he is in every interview he does, especially wrestling interviews where he loves to whine about music and the music media.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I've always had a huge soft spot for the criminally overlooked "Hummer" and while I'm glad it exists, I wish we'd get more of that.

It's so dream-like.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
There's a part of me that's kinda... relieved? that Billy's purported claims of making spiritual sequels to the pre-2000 albums have never actually come close to actually attempting to emulate or go back to those styles because I feel like, at this point, it'd just not sound good with the way he sings and puts his vocals front and center in the mix. I'd be able to forgive dumb esoteric flowery poetry lyrics if it all sounded good, but I don't think he'd be able to do it without it sounding like he's yelling through a megaphone through a wall of sound that no longer exists.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I've always had a huge soft spot for the criminally overlooked "Hummer" and while I'm glad it exists, I wish we'd get more of that.

It's so dream-like.

Is it overlooked? It's among my favorites of theirs and I sort of assumed that was a common opinion

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I don't think anything on SD or MCIS is going to really be "overlooked" in the context of the band from before the first breakup, to say nothing of the rest of their career. I guess relative to the rest of that album Hummer is more low key. It and Quiet and I guess Sweet Sweet are on the lower end for that album, attention-wise

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

I don't think anything on SD or MCIS is going to really be "overlooked" in the context of the band from before the first breakup, to say nothing of the rest of their career. I guess relative to the rest of that album Hummer is more low key. It and Quiet and I guess Sweet Sweet are on the lower end for that album, attention-wise

Hummer was among the few tracks not to appear on Viewphoria.

Speaking of, holy poo poo, I used to listen to Sinfony all the time. When I first heard Boards of Canada, I remember thinking that they were writing tracks like Sinfony, but with a 70s faux-nostalgic vibe. I love poo poo like that; it's an otherwise forgettable track, but it's like it transports me to some null mystery space, wherever truly sublime music is born and leaves me there for a while.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Hummer, Soma, Mayonaise were why I was so obsessed with SD when I was younger. I've always considered it one of their absolute top tier songs.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I'll know I'm old when Billy Corgan does the sequel to the post breakup Smashing Pumpkins albums.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

The best thing about each new Pumpkins album is it makes the album three or so before seem infinitely better in comparison. Oceania has now reached "good" status.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Oceania has always been good, chump.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Baron von Eevl posted:

Oceania has always been good, chump.

Officially tho

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

MassRafTer posted:

But for as much of an egomaniac Billy was before, he's further emboldened now. You can hear how mad he is in every interview he does, especially wrestling interviews where he loves to whine about music and the music media.

To quote the unifying theory of life: Well, at one time, you've got it, and then you lose it, and it's gone forever.

:haw:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Zwan boxset incoming.

I never really cared for Zwan, but some people did, so there ya go.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's me, I'm the audience for that. Thank you.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Oh hey, maybe we'll see it by 2033.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

And this is why I'm tempering my expectations until I actually see the drat thing released:

quote:

I put it down. I wrote about half of it, which was half a million words, and I turned it in. The publisher loved it and said, “We want to wait for you to finish it before we start putting it all out.” And I asked them, “Why don’t you start putting it out and I’ll keep writing?” So then it just ground to a halt, and I stopped writing, because it was such a herculean effort just to get to the half a million.

Some real intuitive publishers there..

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

BeastOfExmoor posted:

And this is why I'm tempering my expectations until I actually see the drat thing released:

Some real intuitive publishers there..

Publishers: "We'd like you to finish writing your book."
Billy: "So anyway I started blasting stopped writing."

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
These days Billy is the absolute master of a few things. Not completing things, referencing older work as justification for new stuff while saying his art stands on its own merits, and being bad at describing what he's even doing.

"We're releasing a 45 song epic album that's basically the heavy parts of Mellon Collie, but with strong nu metal vibes." Proceeds to release a 60 minute meditation album, but that's just a smaller, the real stuff is coming In Two Weeks.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
"I've written an epic tone poem based on the novel Siddhartha and I'll be debuting it at my tea shop slash meatless meatball sandwich emporium."
*proceeds to noodle around on synthesizers for 8 hours straight*

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

This is a refreshingly positive interview with Billy at RS.

Refreshing because of how positive he's being.

Somewhere
He pulled his no hair down
Over a frown
And smiled

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Baron von Eevl posted:

"I've written an epic tone poem based on the novel Siddhartha and I'll be debuting it at my tea shop slash meatless meatball sandwich emporium."
*proceeds to noodle around on synthesizers for 8 hours straight*

This poo poo got me cackling in the bus stop

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's me, I'm the audience for that. Thank you.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

zwan was good and it made me think maybe post-pumpkins billy would still make great music for years to come :negative:

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

polyester concept posted:

zwan was good and it made me think maybe post-pumpkins billy would still make great music for years to come :negative:

Like many of us, Billy needs someone to be able to bully him to do his best work.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Kingo Ligma posted:

This poo poo got me cackling in the bus stop

I'm pretty sure that's a thing that actually happened.

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, though? I just have a vague recollection of Billy loving around making music for a really long time in some tea shop somewhere while people just came and went as usual wondering wtf was going on.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

SUNKOS posted:

Maybe I'm thinking of something else, though? I just have a vague recollection of Billy loving around making music for a really long time in some tea shop somewhere while people just came and went as usual wondering wtf was going on.

You're remembering correctly lol:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/ry4zy6/we-watched-billy-corgan-play-an-eight-hour-freeform-synthesizer-interpretation-of-siddartha

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

SUNKOS posted:

Yeah, it was a thing. People showed up on purpose though.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I don't think it's possible to accidentally go to a tea house called Madame Zuzus. Or if you are the sort of person that would then you probably are a danger to yourself and others.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
That article is definitely written by someone who would intentionally go to Madame ZuZu's. Reads like the meandering drivel Billy wrote for all the blurbs for each song in the rerelease sets, lol. Fascinating to read, but also have you going "oh my god how does anyone have a conversation with you for more than 2 minutes".

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Framboise posted:

That article is definitely written by someone who would intentionally go to Madame ZuZu's. Reads like the meandering drivel Billy wrote for all the blurbs for each song in the rerelease sets, lol. Fascinating to read, but also have you going "oh my god how does anyone have a conversation with you for more than 2 minutes".

Really? I just found that it was, for the most part, Billy essentially saying "I've changed and I'm not really bothered by the bullshit of the past. Yes, I used to be a jerk". Seemed pretty healthy to me :shrug: