Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

The Darius crusade thing kicked rear end, but I could never get it to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
the problem with ta kingdoms is they thought what people liked about ta was the engine when it was actually the robots.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
To be fair the TA engine was absolutely incredible for mass robot warfare.

This is a fun video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAQ3N6bRIRk

There's a part where Chris Taylor gets into how when a tank shoots, the barrel recoils, the tank rocks back a bit, and the projectile arcs through the sky, and you can tell he absolutely loves those details. It's also interesting how he says his design work on games like TA was informed by working on an old baseball game, and again he gets into how important it was to him to accurately model the path of that baseball.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

mentioning ta kingdoms reminds me of a couple of other rts games around that time. i think one was called myth which was fantasy.. but there was a sci-fi one later on and i can't remember the name of it? i also think it had something to do, eventually, with that world in conflict game.

does anyone know what i'm talking about?

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
There were dozens of rts games that fit that description around that time- more deets please.

There was Myth and Myth 2 for sure- but lots of sci fi rts stuff.

I miss Homeworld.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

sorry, specifically there was no base building.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

hmm i think it may have been ground control

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Just Offscreen posted:

I miss Homeworld.

same

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

hambeet posted:

hmm i think it may have been ground control

I loved Ground Control. I got it on a file planet free giveaway (which was a huge deal back then) when I was a broke high schooler and played it to death.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
I'm just really sad that they couldnt remaster homeworld cataclysm

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Spookydonut posted:

I'm just really sad that they couldnt remaster homeworld cataclysm

GOG at least has the unremastered version so you can play it on modern computers.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ugly In The Morning posted:

GOG at least has the unremastered version so you can play it on modern computers.

If you get the remastered collection on steam it has the originals as well as the new ones. They apparently used the engine from 2 when the remastered one or something like that, so it doesn't actually behave correctly

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

If you get the remastered collection on steam it has the originals as well as the new ones. They apparently used the engine from 2 when the remastered one or something like that, so it doesn't actually behave correctly

It doesn’t have a remaster of Cataclysm, though- just 1 and 2. So if you get Cataclysm (well, Emergence now, since Blizzard has the trademark on Cataclysm) it’ll look like a game from 2000.

E: wait that game is twenty years old what the gently caress

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

It doesn’t have a remaster of Cataclysm, though- just 1 and 2. So if you get Cataclysm (well, Emergence now, since Blizzard has the trademark on Cataclysm) it’ll look like a game from 2000.

E: wait that game is twenty years old what the gently caress

there is no remaster of cataclysm(emergence), is there? I thought it was impossible because they managed to lose the original source?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

there is no remaster of cataclysm(emergence), is there? I thought it was impossible because they managed to lose the original source?

They found the source, IIRC, that’s how they were able to get it running on modern computers, but I think a proper remaster was just too much work for too little reward. It was released way after the remasters, so whatever team they had dedicated to that had moved on.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

they didnt find the source. making the exe run on modern computers is pretty simple and can be done with the originally shipped game as well. they could remaster it without the source, but it would be a huge pain in the rear end for what is unfortunately a tiny market.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I just realized I bought it long ago and couldn't get it working, but it works this time so I am currently playing emergence.

For the first time, never actually played it back in the day

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It's the best homeworld.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Just Offscreen posted:

There were dozens of rts games that fit that description around that time- more deets please.

There was Myth and Myth 2 for sure- but lots of sci fi rts stuff.

I miss Homeworld.

Myth existed and was amazing, and still is. There's a big Myth-shaped gap in the gaming landscape and it's prime sequel or remaster material.

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!
The original homeworld just had some amazing design go into it. I mean that thing ran on the first lovely 3d accelerators today , but you could put it infront of someone today and they'd be like 'hey this looks cool' and have no idea it would run on a rage 128 or whatever from 1997

It also definitely was a great play for 'less is more' with a lot of aspects of its storytelling (while also having a giant book of lore in the manual)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WilWheaton posted:

The original homeworld just had some amazing design go into it. I mean that thing ran on the first lovely 3d accelerators today , but you could put it infront of someone today and they'd be like 'hey this looks cool' and have no idea it would run on a rage 128 or whatever from 1997

It also definitely was a great play for 'less is more' with a lot of aspects of its storytelling (while also having a giant book of lore in the manual)

Good visual design is like that. Also kinda cheating in that it's all spaceships, not as much in the way of detailed and familiar things like people, plants and cities.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Good visual design is like that. Also kinda cheating in that it's all spaceships, not as much in the way of detailed and familiar things like people, plants and cities.

Going for stuff that was mostly big and blocky out of design rather than “our polygon budget is too small” really helped, and those skyboxes were insanely gorgeous. Anytime you had a tiny far-away background detail in one mission that was HUGE in another mission really helped sell the scale of it all, too.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

...those skyboxes were insanely gorgeous. Anytime you had a tiny far-away background detail in one mission that was HUGE in another mission really helped sell the scale of it all, too.

Didn't they do something really unusual with the skyboxes to make sure they looked good no matter how closely you zoom in on them?

I think it was that they're actually textureless 3d models with all the colours vertex painted or something. I remember reading an article about it months ago

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
This is a post to say that posts will be coming. Tomorrow. GLA. Also Im gonna talk about anything unaddressed in the thread between my last post and now! Thanks for staying with me everybody!

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~

reignofevil posted:

This is a post to say that posts will be coming. Tomorrow. GLA. Also Im gonna talk about anything unaddressed in the thread between my last post and now! Thanks for staying with me everybody!

:911:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

reignofevil posted:

:hellyeah:

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

reignofevil posted:

Post or don't its all good in the neighborhood.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Just Offscreen posted:

Post or don't its all good in the neighborhood.

Nah, we need em to post. I'm jonesin for some of that sweet sweet insanity that is C&C

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

If you want something close to a Homeworld aesthetic but where you actually fly the ships directly, try House of the Dying Sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56fCuO7JEy4

It's like someone took the cutscene from the first mission of Homeworld Cataclysm and made it into a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itnXy-jKwYY&t=234s

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

TheMostFrench posted:

If you want something close to a Homeworld aesthetic but where you actually fly the ships directly, try House of the Dying Sun.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56fCuO7JEy4

It's like someone took the cutscene from the first mission of Homeworld Cataclysm and made it into a game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itnXy-jKwYY&t=234s

I may get that, its VR compatible iirc

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RFC2324 posted:

I may get that, its VR compatible iirc

It’s fantastic in VR. Also has some neat background lore in the endings/extras (that was written by a goon sci fi author)

Tanith
Jul 17, 2005

Alpha, Beta, Gamma cores
Use them, lose them, salvage more
Kick off the next AI war
In the Persean Sector

It’s fantastic in VR. Also has some neat background lore in the endings/extras (that was written by a goon sci fi author)

Reiterating this, it is gorgeous and bombing runs are so satisfying.

reignofevil posted:

:getin:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

reignofevil posted:

I'm ready to get liberated.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

This game is pretty good. I enjoyed it. The star system encourages some replayabilit too,and being able to jump between control of ships but still have the small squadron feel is neat.

But...

The sound track (my two faves linked) is also extremely good. Right in the middle of BSG with some homeworld thrown in. Lots of drums, stellar. As it should be.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
Uniting the world for freedom and profit

The GLA has gotten a real shitkicking and now chinese military installations are all over their countries of *mumble mumble*

The GLA have done what they do best, secretly build military forces for surprise first strikes and now they're ready to initiate...

Operation black rain.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Here is a photo of a chinese base moments before it gets turbofucked by suicide bombers

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
It doesn't take long before the facility is entirely wiped out.

The GLA gather themselves and return to their secret base in the mountains.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

The base is little more than a quickly erected command center and a barracks for training new infantry and rocket soldiers. But with a little work it could be a deadly staging area.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
The GLA commander makes use of one of his bomb trucks, unused from the previous strike on the chinese army. He sends it off to the north alone into the unknown.