Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I gave them $10 fully knowing I will probably never play any of it. Same with the other itch charity bundles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Serephina posted:

My trouble is I can't play more than a few games at once. I downloaded a bunch of zips, but the second one was Curious Expedition and I'm still here a week later.

yeah i tend to have the same issue

i can further vouch for A Good Snowman is Hard to Build, it's a very simple but super polished take on boulder pushing puzzles

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

precision posted:

yeah i tend to have the same issue

i can further vouch for A Good Snowman is Hard to Build, it's a very simple but super polished take on boulder pushing puzzles

The GDC talk on puzzlescript was good too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bees x1000 posted:

I gave them $10 fully knowing I will probably never play any of it. Same with the other itch charity bundles.

I generally spend at least two hours fooling around with either a single game or sampling others from each of these bundles, and a movie ticket is :10bux: so I've got my money out of every single one.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Heads up that the bundle is only going to be around for another day. Buy it today or tomorrow at the latest, otherwise it will be gone, you will miss out on a ton of awesome games, and you won't help support a country that's being invaded by war criminals and needs every bit of financial help. Get in so everyone wins.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

leper khan posted:

The GDC talk on puzzlescript was good too.

Where is this?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

treat posted:

Where is this?

GDC vault or maybe YouTube. Going to a meeting I'll link it later.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_okgL6HJX8&t=24m15s

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
hidden mega gem in the bundle:Wheels of Aurelia

you play as a hip French Communist lesbian driving on a roadtrip around 70s Europe and talking to your passengers. no foolin'. it's so chill and rad.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

precision posted:

hidden mega gem in the bundle:Wheels of Aurelia

you play as a hip French Communist lesbian driving on a roadtrip around 70s Europe and talking to your passengers. no foolin'. it's so chill and rad.

this has a really fantastic soundtrack, too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrawsfKCNbc

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Slipped my mind and I was an hour too late

Oh well

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Humble Bundle's Ukraine bundle is up ($40, 123 items)

https://www.humblebundle.com/stand-with-ukraine-bundle

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Harminoff posted:

Humble Bundle's Ukraine bundle is up ($40, 123 items)

https://www.humblebundle.com/stand-with-ukraine-bundle

I feel like everything that I may have wanted was already a humble choice. I'm hoping the Fanatical bundle (march 24) is more interesting.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Now that we've had it for a minute, which games stuck with you / are you continuing to play? I'm sure I'll keep playing tenderfoot tactics, but clueless where to go -> high level battle turned me off. Crosscode's gameplay is good, but fetch quests turned me off.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Everyone should play Wandersong if they haven't. It's a font of positivity that I think we all need in our lives.

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Fanatical have also set up a bundle for the Ukrainian Red Cross.

Noper Q
Nov 7, 2012
For the itch Ukraine Bundle havers: I recommend Skatebird. It's fun skateboarding game with a delightful writing style.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I thought skatebird was the jankiest skate game I've ever played, but I've had tenderfoot tactics wishlisted since before release so I'm stoked on some of that

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
I was bumping around on my Linux desktop and thought hey I should play some of my newly acquired itch.io games!

Browsing the games list, I can filter by platform (to get only Linux games) but can't restrict it to games I own.

Browsing my library of owned games, I can't filter by platform.

This seems to be true both in the desktop client and the web page.

Am I taking crazy pills here?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JLaw posted:

I was bumping around on my Linux desktop and thought hey I should play some of my newly acquired itch.io games!

Browsing the games list, I can filter by platform (to get only Linux games) but can't restrict it to games I own.

Browsing my library of owned games, I can't filter by platform.

This seems to be true both in the desktop client and the web page.

Am I taking crazy pills here?

try this
https://randombundlegame.com/?platforms=Linux
it also has check boxes to filter out any bundles you might have missed.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Yah, that's pretty helpful. Ideally I'd be able to look at the other games I have on itch too though (not bundle-acquired).

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
I've started trying things out at random. Antecrypt is a single stick shooter with a unique twist. Instead of being able to manually aim, there's this circle bouncing around the arena, and your character is always aiming at it. In addition, you need to get close to it to recharge your gun. These limitations make a very simple premise surprisingly fun, if not a bit frustrating at the higher levels.

I also decided to read one of the non video game options and I am baffled by what Birds Love Dirt is supposed to be.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

ponzicar posted:

I also decided to read one of the non video game options and I am baffled by what Birds Love Dirt is supposed to be.

So, a few years ago the tabletop RPG community decided we needed somewhere to sell pdfs other than the one website where we sell pdfs, and we colonised a corner of itch. What you're looking at there is a 'lyric game', which is... sort of somewhere between a TTRPG and poetry? The idea (I think) is that reading it, or playing it, or trying to play it, produces some sort of experience in you, much like reading a poem might. And I guess like poems, some will leave you cold, some will make you think or laugh or feel something, and some require a contextual explainer longer than the game itself.

I'll be honest, it's not my thing and I don't fully understand it, but there are a bunch in there.

(Also let me link to The Tragedy of GJ 237b real quick, which I think is a better example of the form.)

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

New bundle (all TTRPGs):

TTRPGs for Reproductive Rights
https://itch.io/b/1375/ttrpgs-for-reproductive-rights

291 items, $5+

Benefits go to Planned Parenthood and NNAF (National Network of Abortion Funds)

Some really interesting looking games in this one that I've not seen in any other.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, I haven't checked exhaustively, because the money is for a good cause, but everything I click on only lists the current bundle, whereas previous bundles with repeats would list all the different bundles it was a part of.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Good Lord there's a lot of solo journaling RPGs.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Thirsty Dog posted:

Good Lord there's a lot of solo journaling RPGs.

gently caress yeah there are, they're great. Thousand Year-Old Vampire is a standout. I don't think it's in the current bundle but it's been bundled before.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

HopperUK posted:

gently caress yeah there are, they're great. Thousand Year-Old Vampire is a standout. I don't think it's in the current bundle but it's been bundled before.

Not sure I agree, there's a couple of outstanding ones (like TYV) and a whole load of "I can think up a setting but have no idea how to make it an interesting experience or create any engaging mechanics"

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Thirsty Dog posted:

Not sure I agree, there's a couple of outstanding ones (like TYV) and a whole load of "I can think up a setting but have no idea how to make it an interesting experience or create any engaging mechanics"

And you feel that, in this, solo journaling games are distinct from other genres of tabletop role-playing games?

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Imagined posted:

And you feel that, in this, solo journaling games are distinct from other genres of tabletop role-playing games?

Yes, because solo journaling games almost entirely remove those requirements in the first place, being incredibly rules light and often just a fancy writing prompt.

I'd rather people tried and failed rather than thought up a setting and called it a day

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
How does a solo journaling RPG work? And what makes the vampire one so good? It just seems like a strange concept to me, since I associate RPGs with collaborative storytelling.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

A Strange Aeon posted:

How does a solo journaling RPG work? And what makes the vampire one so good? It just seems like a strange concept to me, since I associate RPGs with collaborative storytelling.

SUSD have a good video on it, actually
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COJcWFf0H3U

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

The vampire one has very good prompts and a way of moving between them that feels thematic and sad and lonely. The writing is very good, basically, and it's a good premise.
I mean, they vary in terms of how much crunch there is but I like the ones that are just essentially lists of writing prompts because I enjoy writing with a bit of a nudge. Apothecaria is one of my favourites.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

HopperUK posted:

The vampire one has very good prompts and a way of moving between them that feels thematic and sad and lonely. The writing is very good, basically, and it's a good premise.
I mean, they vary in terms of how much crunch there is but I like the ones that are just essentially lists of writing prompts because I enjoy writing with a bit of a nudge. Apothecaria is one of my favourites.

Yeah, this is a good explanation of why we have differing views here I think. If you're someone just looking for a writing prompt the explosion of solo journaling games is a goldmine.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Are there any solo journaling games in this bundle that are particularly good? I've been toying with the idea of creating one but I'd really love to see more examples of what fans consider good mechanics or whatever in a journaling game.

e: Particularly interested in ones that either have fun gameplay elements or are more like a solo TTRPG with journaling elements but I'm open to anything

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 16, 2022

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Are there any solo journaling games in this bundle that are particularly good? I've been toying with the idea of creating one but I'd really love to see more examples of what fans consider good mechanics or whatever in a journaling game.

e: Particularly interested in ones that either have fun gameplay elements or are more like a solo TTRPG with journaling elements but I'm open to anything

Sweaters by Hedgehog is completely adorable and goonmade.

Quill is fun, though you write letters in it rather than a journal.

I'm not a huge fan of the 'Lost and Found' based games that are all about objects and their histories but some folk love them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Sweaters by Hedgehog was popular among goons in the solo rpg thread. The base game of Ironsworn is free and if you bought the BLM bundle it includes an add on for dungeons. That's more like a traditional TTRPG with stats and gaining experience to use for new abilities not just journaling prompts. There's a solo rpg thread in trade games that has people with a lot more experience than me and a ton of suggestions.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 16, 2022

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
charity bundles: link the onion article edition

https://itch.io/b/1401/bundle-for-uvalde

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

https://itch.io/b/1404/queer-games-bundle-2022
(or)
https://itch.io/b/1405/queer-games-bundle-2022-pay-what-you-can-edition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Wow that's a lot of game!