Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Nitrousoxide posted:

Well, the episode wasn't a *disaster* like 14. It was certainly not great animation, and CGI Sophia was probably the animation highlight of the episode TBH. That's not a glowing endorsement.

I had low expectations, and the episode met them.

not sure i agree with this, so many dialogue scenes involving a slow pan over a completely static still, tons of named characters noticeably off model, a bunch of background characters looking hilariously bad (at one point early in the episode there's a dead elf in the foreground who looks so bad i had to pause because i was laughing so hard), a ton of fast movement is just characters sliding around with little to no animation

i wouldn't call it the singular animation low point of the series, but it's definitely on par with the worse we've seen

still worth it to see hugo eat poo poo and being bailed out from his own arrogant stupidity yet again, and shield dude pointing out that the main party is acting incredibly passively and don't seem to have clear goals and everyone just shrugs and goes to watch their opponents blow up the two critical pieces of infrastructure propping up the kingdom they can't really articulate why they're defending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
We basically see a lot of good hints as to what the potential of the series could be. I think the animation wasn't as bad, but this like the difference between turning the dial between 7 and 9.

Is this a new studio or something, it seems very strange, like someone's B team.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millepensee they are pretty new, and you'll probably notice a black eye on their record pretty fast.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I don't know enough about those other shows. What's the black eye?

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
Berserk 2016 was very poor.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Berserk.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
haha, holy poo poo, they got the same studio who did berserk 2016 for this series? i guess this is actually an improvement in quality for them

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

haha, holy poo poo, they got the same studio who did berserk 2016 for this series? i guess this is actually an improvement in quality for them

Yeah, they've got a pretty bad track record looking at the list.

This is, comparatively speaking, probably the best they've done.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It's worth noting that the CG studio for Spider is exsa, ,the studio who did Kengan Asura, the CG for Back Arrow as well as a variety of other shows, which probably explains that--while not perfect--the CG in this is several degrees better than what's on display in Berserk

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
millepensee rocks, they made six seasons of one of the best anime ever, Teekyu

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
They also made cop craft, which was a sloppy slide show by the end.

Green Tea Erotica
May 5, 2010

Anything you can do I can do BETTER

paragon1 posted:

They also made cop craft, which was a sloppy slide show by the end.

A show that was messy early on and an absolute mess by the end. Loved it.
The cop is the butler in this I believe.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Bah. Wrong window

Adder Moray fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jun 10, 2021

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
they must work cheap, cause I couldn't see hiring the studio after Berserk unless they were like $5 an episode.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I believe they were not in charge of the 3d in Berserk. Which was where the really egregious animation was there. They were only doing 2d there.

Interestingly, it's probably why the 3d stuff with kumoko is so much better than the 2d human stuff in this show. Another studio is in charge of those parts.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

With only three episodes left, I'm hoping for some reveals tomorrow!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve read up to the end of volume six, and the good news is that the spider-centric storyline remains more interesting than whatever Shun’s doing.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve read up to the end of volume six, and the good news is that the spider-centric storyline remains more interesting than whatever Shun’s doing.

That does not change through volume eleven.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

8one6 posted:

That does not change through volume eleven.

To be fair, Volume 11 is almost exclusively about Julius.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
So, did Sensei actually kill church cult girl?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

AlternateNu posted:

So, did Sensei actually kill church cult girl?

In the WN and LN, No she did not.

But of course the anime is its own thing.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORy6PApzWRU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Smol best boy.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Episode 22:

I can't believe Kumoko is loving dead.

A lot more cgi and a lot less 2d this episode, so it looked better-ish. They're still learning to manipulate the 3d humanoid models, seems like, so they're less fluid than spider-models.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Whoever directed this episode needs to be smacked with a rolled up newspaper whenever they want to do that thing where two characters standing far apart are "shot" as though they're standing a couple of feet from each other. It was overused so badly it made half the episode actively unpleasant to look at.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010

Sindai posted:

Whoever directed this episode needs to be smacked with a rolled up newspaper whenever they want to do that thing where two characters standing far apart are "shot" as though they're standing a couple of feet from each other. It was overused so badly it made half the episode actively unpleasant to look at.

Did you notice the one time where the character closer to the character meant to be the furthest from the camera was on the top layer?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Finally, I can post this.

https://twitter.com/Nitrousoxide/status/1403292017518600192?s=20

Daedalus1134
Sep 14, 2005

They see me rollin'

lol amazing.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Bobulus posted:

Episode 22:

I can't believe Kumoko is loving dead.

Are ya sure 'bout that? :holy:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Episode 22
So I was a spider, so what?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
The brutality that this episode implies got a little understated with the direction they took. But I guess it fits with the can't make an omelette without cracking a few eggs mentality Kumoko has had thus far.

Next week is going to be amazing.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

The brutality that this episode implies got a little understated with the direction they took.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

So I'm a cloud, so what?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Imagine if you are minding your own business fighting a war and in the middle of it, there's this mythical death beast, causally sitting around getting sprayed with blood. Until it suddenly decides to act which instantly vaporizes a battalion. And then the real horror starts.

The anime is so close to catching up with the manga now! It's 2 minutes of screentime at most.

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

cant cook creole bream posted:

Imagine if you are minding your own business fighting a war and in the middle of it, there's this mythical death beast, causally sitting around getting sprayed with blood. Until it suddenly decides to act which instantly vaporizes a battalion. And then the real horror starts.

"Thank you nameless soldiers for the xp needed to heal" Kumo says as a cg model of a soldier spirit in the sky waves goodbye and a few more salute

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

logger posted:

"Thank you nameless soldiers for the xp needed to heal" Kumo says as a cg model of a soldier spirit in the sky waves goodbye and a few more salute

Tbf, The Sarellia soldiers are probably fanatical enough in their belief in Kumo being a divine beast that they're probably more than happy to lay down their lives for her.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
what is it with isekai protagonists and doing warcrimes to level up

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

grate deceiver posted:

It's a time honored Japanese tradition

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

grate deceiver posted:

At least we aren't meant to see Kumoko as a moral character. She is, at the absolute very best, slightly deranged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
and yet in spite of it all somehow the man-eating genocidal spider monster still strikes me as being in the better half of the isekai protagonist spectrum when it comes to good behavior

hell, tanya's got the same voice actress and is way more shady

don't know about the killing slimes for 300 years witch, tho