Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

gay_crimes posted:

free Larry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

gay_crimes posted:

free Larry

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Man this thread isn’t funny at all.

Boo

Booooooo OP

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

fr0id posted:

A lot of people have rightfully brought up that people get around the r-word ban by posting euphemisms that everyone knows are still meant to evoke someone with an intellectual disability. my gut reaction is to start doing probes for those euphemisms, but I think that would just lead to more of them. Basically forever chasing the newest euphemism on behalf of people who are very unlikely to ever read the CSPAM forums. There are probably people reading who have family or loved ones whom these slurs are directed at (self included), and some folks who got lumped into that category due to other mental disabilities, but this is still a “protecting people who aren’t using the forums/modding on their behalf.”

personally i've never understood this argument, for two reasons. one, you have no idea who is or isn't reading the forums. more importantly, two, there not being someone present in the room/thread who will be offended isn't a reason to use slurs. like, you shouldn't throw the n-word around just because you don't think there are any black people present, so the rationale of "oh just allow slurs because mentally disabled people probably don't read the forums" is beside the point, which is that slurs shouldn't be used in general

fr0id posted:

I think people who use these slurs are being lovely, and that anyone informed enough to regularly post in CSPAM knows better. But at some point there has to be some trust in the community to police itself. For people to be able to say “drat, this dude keeps using this slur” and call it out. Like maybe something where people are encouraged to allow some sincerity in the community of calling out lovely behavior or wording, and some trust for people to figure out on their own if it’s someone doing holier than thou trolling or actually bothered by stuff.

I think if someone is the kind of rear end in a top hat who genuinely has hate toward the disabled, they’re going to wind up getting probed or banned for that because they won’t shut the gently caress up about it. encourage folks in the community to talk to each other about lovely language rather than having a mod step in. Like, a person I know telling me “hey man your use of that bothers me” is gonna do way more than an arbitrary authority telling me I got caught breaking the rule and get a probe would.

i've seen this happen a few times over the past few weeks, where someone uses the r-word and other posters call them out on it because they don't like it and it makes them feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. it generally doesn't lead to the original poster changing their behaviour or even just shutting up and leaving the thread for a bit, it instead leads them to double down because they're getting a rise out of people. i saw this happen before i became a mod and i thought it was a pretty toxic thing back then, and my feelings on that have only gotten stronger now that i'm a mod and i see what people are reporting and get PMs from people who want to express their views in private.

TheSlutPit posted:

It seems to me that the best way to figure out if somebody is a bigot or crypto-whatever is just to interrogate their social/political beliefs rather than using arbitrary shibboleths ie do they say the bad word that we all decided is bad. This would probably not fly though in the threads where being leftist means posting heckin tweeets, trmolp memes and cattes so it stands to reason that it’s become an issue.

i've said this earlier in the thread but i'll repeat it here, in summary my view is that any probation or ban should be based on the content of posting rather than the form. you can obviously get probed or banned for bigotry that doesn't use slurs, but the use of slurs is like a shortcut to bad content that can make a post bigoted all on its own

fr0id posted:

lift the word ban. then let’s see. at least that takes any moral high ground of making a point about the euphemisms. let people be their real lovely selves if they want. and conversely let them be their real human selves.

we sort of saw what happens with this over the last few weeks, because we weren't probing for use of the r-word during that time since the enforcement had been inconsistent previously and we wanted to wait until we had the new rules thread and feedback thread to talk through it in public, so that expectations would be clear. what we saw wasn't people getting more relaxed about it, what happened was multiple threads getting shitted up by some posters using the word, others asking them to stop, and then the fight between those two groups consuming threads for days at a time and engendering long-lasting hostility and acrimony when those posters interacted in the future

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

It's believable that forum staff can't be certain that it is or isn't HAU since apparently de-anonymized sales records aren't available at all? So that leaves IP and I guess maybe some other tools I'm not thinking of, but it's basically all going to be stuff that you can get around if you want to. At least that's my understanding of how it works.

But it's 100% HAU.

very briefly, we have asked the admins about that account to see if it was someone evading probation, and they have told us it isn't

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

Harton posted:

Man this thread isn’t funny at all.

Boo

Booooooo OP

just pretend theyre all misspelling trump, op

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

vyelkin posted:

personally i've never understood this argument, for two reasons. one, you have no idea who is or isn't reading the forums. more importantly, two, there not being someone present in the room/thread who will be offended isn't a reason to use slurs. like, you shouldn't throw the n-word around just because you don't think there are any black people present, so the rationale of "oh just allow slurs because mentally disabled people probably don't read the forums" is beside the point, which is that slurs shouldn't be used in general

i've seen this happen a few times over the past few weeks, where someone uses the r-word and other posters call them out on it because they don't like it and it makes them feel uncomfortable or unwelcome. it generally doesn't lead to the original poster changing their behaviour or even just shutting up and leaving the thread for a bit, it instead leads them to double down because they're getting a rise out of people. i saw this happen before i became a mod and i thought it was a pretty toxic thing back then, and my feelings on that have only gotten stronger now that i'm a mod and i see what people are reporting and get PMs from people who want to express their views in private.

i've said this earlier in the thread but i'll repeat it here, in summary my view is that any probation or ban should be based on the content of posting rather than the form. you can obviously get probed or banned for bigotry that doesn't use slurs, but the use of slurs is like a shortcut to bad content that can make a post bigoted all on its own

we sort of saw what happens with this over the last few weeks, because we weren't probing for use of the r-word during that time since the enforcement had been inconsistent previously and we wanted to wait until we had the new rules thread and feedback thread to talk through it in public, so that expectations would be clear. what we saw wasn't people getting more relaxed about it, what happened was multiple threads getting shitted up by some posters using the word, others asking them to stop, and then the fight between those two groups consuming threads for days at a time and engendering long-lasting hostility and acrimony when those posters interacted in the future

very briefly, we have asked the admins about that account to see if it was someone evading probation, and they have told us it isn't

Didn't read. Free Larry.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Herstory Begins Now posted:

imo split cpsam into 10 slightly ideologically different subforums but mirror the original threads in each one and let them all coexist as an experiment

mods, noticed this guy is free and larry is not.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

swimsuit posted:

just pretend theyre all misspelling trump, op

That’s never been funny either though

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Harton posted:

That’s never been funny either though

larry did some pretty funny ones every now and then

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

vyelkin posted:

ah so it's just a perfectly normal case of some new blood coming to the forums, buying an account 4 days ago and telling us that CSPAM should be more like D&D, actually. seems legit.

your thoughts on the slur wars seem correct fwiw

chain probe herstory, free Larry, and cease further mod interference in the CSPAM Autonomous Zone

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
goddamn vpns ruining alt account checks

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

tbh this obsession with how are u is extremely pathetic, just chainprobe this rear end in a top hat on merit alone if you feel the need or shut the gently caress up about it

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Excelzior posted:

tbh this obsession with how are u is extremely pathetic, just chainprobe this rear end in a top hat on merit alone if you feel the need or shut the gently caress up about it

Or do that thing where cspam is the only forum he has permissions for until he cracks and pings

QCS rereg
Jun 21, 2021

Raskolnikov38 posted:

goddamn vpns ruining alt account checks

:smug:

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

TheSlutPit posted:

Respectfully, I think people yell at you because you’re perpetually indignant and difficult to be around, not because they love saying slurs and would be dropping n-bombs all day if you weren’t around.

Dude what the gently caress? How is this in any way relevant? Why do you think it's ok to just attack me this way?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CountryMatters posted:

I don't think I've ever seen you post anything except yelling about how bullied and attacked you feel. I'm not sure why you keep posting somewhere that makes you so unhappy

look a little harder dude, and I shouldn't have to deal with people being so loving nasty towards me all the time literally because I am against the use of slurs. that is why they are attacking me every time and I shouldn't have to deal with the fact that every time I post there is a strong chance one of these loving people - or several of them - will pop up and MAYBE get a 6 hour probe for it and then come right back and keep doing it. what kind of person are you that you're cheerleading it?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I propose we trade that dude for Larry. Clearly very unhappy posting here in cspam and it's doing no favors for them. I think we can all see that.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

empty whippet box posted:

Dude what the gently caress? How is this in any way relevant? Why do you think it's ok to just attack me this way?

you need the chill the gently caress out holy poo poo I agreed with you in succ about the r-word being bad but what is all of this weird poo poo

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

I've been where you are. Post back with claws, eat a probe, and come back. Or just don't post here for like a two days, and come back. Either way you are currently in posting tailspin and the best thing to do is fly again on a day without a wind advisory.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What empty whippet box does is legitimately gaslighting.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

500 good dogs posted:

you need the chill the gently caress out holy poo poo I agreed with you in succ about the r-word being bad but what is all of this weird poo poo

I should not have to deal with people following me around and posting poo poo saying I'm "hard to be around" and poo poo like that every time I comment on anything. I should not have to just put up with that. posts like that are mean and unnecessary and they don't make this place a better place to be in at all.

KirbyKhan posted:

I've been where you are. Post back with claws, eat a probe, and come back. Or just don't post here for like a two days, and come back. Either way you are currently in posting tailspin and the best thing to do is fly again on a day without a wind advisory.

the way people have a problem with me responding to people being assholes to me but have no problem with people being assholes to me is really something else.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

What empty whippet box does is legitimately gaslighting.

you have been following me around doing this in not only this thread but other ones as well and you even got probed for it!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

do you think people are following you around or are they responding to your posts in a thread that they are also posting in and reading? this is a pinned thread after all.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

lobster shirt posted:

do you think people are following you around or are they responding to your posts in a thread that they are also posting in and reading? this is a pinned thread after all.

here is an example from YESTERDAY of him following me around this way. completely different thread

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Are you also going to complain about how the probe reasons read like holocaust jokes or is that in your list of things that are okay to say?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

here is an example from YESTERDAY of him following me around this way. completely different thread

I literally posted in that thread before you lmfao.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I literally posted in that thread before you lmfao.

as an impartial observer I can confirm this is true

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok, you still harassed me about completely unrelated bullshit, prompted by nothing in a totally different thread because I argue against the use of slurs. you made it very clear that that's what you were whining about!

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

ok, you still harassed me about completely unrelated bullshit, prompted by nothing in a totally different thread because I argue against the use of slurs. you made it very clear that that's what you were whining about!

look I don't think you're a bad person at all, but you should take a break like a couple of days and just relax for a bit. if you stop posting no one is going to attack you!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Daytime feedback post like: "Why r u attacking me?"

Nighttime feedback post like: "TROMP"

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

KirbyKhan posted:

Daytime feedback post like: "Why r u attacking me?"

Nighttime feedback post like: "TROMP"

the two genders

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 55 days!
whippet people dont like you because your posts are extremely bad and you're a sloppy crybaby lil bitch. there is no gangstalking slur conspiracy to hurt your feelings. your posts are dogshit and people hate them and so they hate you and rightfully so

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

Good soup! posted:

always was. think it's run its course.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

How is that harassment? You can't 100% read tone on the internet but if your entire posting persona is against slurs and harassment shouldn't you also take a stand against probes that can be read like holocaust jokes?

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

I should not have to deal with people following me around and posting poo poo saying I'm "hard to be around" and poo poo like that every time I comment on anything. I should not have to just put up with that. posts like that are mean and unnecessary and they don't make this place a better place to be in at all.

look i am also a person that prefers positive vibes and people not being mean but frankly you would get a lot further just telling people to gently caress off than doing whatever it is that you are doing in this thread

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Jon Irenicus posted:

the thread shouldn't have been made, it's clear the mods will change literally zero things as a result of our input

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

AnimeIsTrash posted:

How is that harassment? You can't 100% read tone on the internet but if your entire posting persona is against slurs and harassment shouldn't you also take a stand against probes that can be read like holocaust jokes?

I literally only posted about this in two places: the succ thread, and the feedback thread. literally not one single other place, at all.

you took the bullshit about using slurs into unrelated threads where nobody was talking about it and brought it up to harass someone who was against it.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Goons crack pinging themselves stupid and then deciding that people are gangstalking them on the forums is some epic behavior.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Jon Irenicus posted:

Nope, gotta get full weekend crew participation. How will we know what church going shitposters thing if the thread is closed before Sunday morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Goons crack pinging themselves stupid and then deciding that people are gangstalking them on the forums is some epic behavior.

My favorite was durring one of the Free Larry threads. Had to explain to the poster that no one is stalking anyone we are all just compelled by posters gaes to come to QCS to perform this dumb Larry nativity scene every month.