Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I'm working on the final listing now and I think this might just be the best countdown we've ever had. poo poo is gonna be off the hook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

in my opinion according to science ...i suspect a lot of people voted this year.

What do you think will win

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I'm almost certain it's going to be
1. Elden Ring
2. Vampire Survivors
3. Pentiment
4. Xenoblade 3

Not sure beyond that.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Escobarbarian posted:

Gamers

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

sirtommygunn posted:

1. Elden Ring
2. Vampire Survivors
3. Pentiment
4. Xenoblade 3

Not sure beyond that.

I think NORCO and Citizen Sleeper are gonna be really high up. Will be playing them both this month sometime hooray

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Gamers should never win.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

CottonWolf posted:

Gamers should never win.

ah i see you've been watching my dota games

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Escobarbarian posted:

Us, the gamers

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Wtf

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Rarity: For the Players

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

sirtommygunn posted:

1. Elden Ring
2. Vampire Survivors
3. Pentiment
4. Xenoblade 3

Not sure beyond that.

Triangle Strategy I think rounds out that top 5 and might even leapfrog some of those other games in your list.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I am so happy to see Procession to Calvary on someone else's list. That game was great. Given all the perfect tides and return to monkey islands and case of the golden idol votes, it seems like it's good times for the point and click adventure.

Encased looks awesome. I have never heard of it and will have to check it out.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Escobarbarian posted:

Sleeping dogs

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I forgot to submit my rankings this year like a moron but it's Elden Ring, followed by Pentiment. peace

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

anakha posted:

Triangle Strategy I think rounds out that top 5 and might even leapfrog some of those other games in your list.

I hope Tri Strat takes #3

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
poo poo I wanna get tactics ogre reborn but I’ve been getting sold reading a lot about triangle strategy! This game totally flew under my radar for some reason.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

bewilderment posted:

Genuinely surprised by how much I Was A Teenage Exocolonist didn't appear in goon lists that games like Citizen Sleeper, Scarlet Hollow and Pentiment did show up in.

To be fair, I think all of those games are superior to it and ordered my list as such. I just would've figured "choice and consequence VN where you get to make poker hands out of your memories in card form" would've been a bigger hit.
I'm probably not going to 100% it but I spent like 3 days getting the endings I did (including a surprisingly solid and accomplished first run that only fell over at the last hurdle).

My feeling was that while it was an interesting idea, the structure of the game works against what it wants to do. I had a somewhat unsatisfying first playthrough, because it took like 5 ingame years before I realized how the mechanics work -- that it wasn't a waste of time to go exploring the wilderness a second time, that important story progression happens at school so you shouldn't just stop going once you're maxed in the stat, stuff like that. Which would be fine if I was going to play through the game several times to come up with better outcomes, like they're encouraging you to do, but the game takes a while to play because you're going month-by-month through ten years of your protagonist's life. My ending wasn't great and I wanted to fix things, but there was no way I was gonna do another 120 months full of choices. I played far enough to see how we can save the girl who gets electrocuted in the first year but I just didn't have the patience to keep going.

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos
(removed for double posting)

Defenistrator fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jan 1, 2023

Defenistrator
Mar 27, 2007
Ask me about my burritos

Rarity posted:

Hi these are cool but if you want your vote to count you need to put them in order and you have until 12pm PST to do so (just under 4 hours). Sorry this is not more polite but it's 4am and I am very drunk and there are lots of posts in this thread :sweatdrop:

Hey no worries that I missed the deadline. More than happy with just being able to write up about my gaming year it was a lot of fun!

Also to everyone: I loved all your lists and now my wishlist is above 100 games lol. One big lesson this thread has proven is that the best part of a top 10 list is everything before number 1 (which was pretty much Elden ring)!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

bewilderment posted:

Genuinely surprised by how much I Was A Teenage Exocolonist didn't appear in goon lists that games like Citizen Sleeper, Scarlet Hollow and Pentiment did show up in.

It sadly has a bad title.

Phenotype posted:

My feeling was that while it was an interesting idea, the structure of the game works against what it wants to do. I had a somewhat unsatisfying first playthrough, because it took like 5 ingame years before I realized how the mechanics work -- that it wasn't a waste of time to go exploring the wilderness a second time, that important story progression happens at school so you shouldn't just stop going once you're maxed in the stat, stuff like that. Which would be fine if I was going to play through the game several times to come up with better outcomes, like they're encouraging you to do, but the game takes a while to play because you're going month-by-month through ten years of your protagonist's life. My ending wasn't great and I wanted to fix things, but there was no way I was gonna do another 120 months full of choices. I played far enough to see how we can save the girl who gets electrocuted in the first year but I just didn't have the patience to keep going.

If you are still interested in the story, the game has a "skip already seen text" setting that greatly increases the speed you can play through the game since besides skipping the text, it marks the choices you've already seen. Also, if you're on PC, debug mode is one shortcut away (shift + `) and it has a ton of ways to make the game ultra fast, from moving at light speed to auto-winning the card game to get stats, and a "fast mode" that basically disables animations.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 1, 2023

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Also Pentiment and Citizen Sleeper are on Gamepass. I considered the IWATE as the videos looked promising, but never ended up buying it. :effort:

Issaries fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 1, 2023

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I got it, on my Nintendo Switch console but I haven't played it yet

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Defenistrator posted:

Hey no worries that I missed the deadline. More than happy with just being able to write up about my gaming year it was a lot of fun!

Also to everyone: I loved all your lists and now my wishlist is above 100 games lol. One big lesson this thread has proven is that the best part of a top 10 list is everything before number 1 (which was pretty much Elden ring)!

While true it is cool to see the consensus form. Last year my goty was also FF14 endwalker and it’s cool to see, at least for me, how much everyone really enjoyed a game and it’s a testament to that game. Elden ring has been discussed to death but I truly feel it’s the new standard we will be comparing games against going forward. Just so good

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

While true it is cool to see the consensus form. Last year my goty was also FF14 endwalker and it’s cool to see, at least for me, how much everyone really enjoyed a game and it’s a testament to that game. Elden ring has been discussed to death but I truly feel it’s the new standard we will be comparing games against going forward. Just so good

Reading the views on ER has been interesting to me because it seems like, as you mentioned, it's going to be a touchpoint for gaming discussion for a long time, but it's also a game that I'm never going to play. It really helps to at least have some sort of reference and frame of understanding for the future.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Reading the views on ER has been interesting to me because it seems like, as you mentioned, it's going to be a touchpoint for gaming discussion for a long time, but it's also a game that I'm never going to play. It really helps to at least have some sort of reference and frame of understanding for the future.

knowing why there are going to be so many games I won't like in 2025-6 is definitely a plus.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 42 hours!
i dont think theres really going to be an influx of elden ring copies any more than there already has been lots of souls influenced games. its main addition is qol, and a comically huge and detailed open world, and thahts not easily replicated. at least i assume thats why no one else had done it up until now anyway.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
It would be terrible if Ubisoft decided that their next assassins creed game needed to have unobtrusive UI, an actual interesting world, and good combat.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Games I will now purchase and play because of this thread:

1. Inscryption
2. Triangle Strategy
3. Pentiment

Elden Ring is going to be the all time #1 SA goon game after its all counted. I thought nothing would top Disco Elysium.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Natural 20 posted:

So, and I don't mean to sound pushy at all here -- the reason Elden Ring is at the top of so many lists this year is because it ended up being the game of the year even for people who would have described it as "a game that I'm never going to play." I was saying the same thing in February -- I don't have the patience for really difficult games, I get spooked by horror stuff in games, it's just not for me. But the hype online was really strong, and my cousin was SO into it, and I said what the hell, I'll play it and just drop it when it gets too hard, I don't have to keep going if I'm not into it, and then

I would seriously recommend at least trying it if you have a chance.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Phenotype posted:

So, and I don't mean to sound pushy at all here -- the reason Elden Ring is at the top of so many lists this year is because it ended up being the game of the year even for people who would have described it as "a game that I'm never going to play." I was saying the same thing in February -- I don't have the patience for really difficult games, I get spooked by horror stuff in games, it's just not for me. But the hype online was really strong, and my cousin was SO into it, and I said what the hell, I'll play it and just drop it when it gets too hard, I don't have to keep going if I'm not into it, and then

I would seriously recommend at least trying it if you have a chance.

Yeah, this. My brother in law who just plays Halo has 100%'d Elden Ring. Definitely his first From soft game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The REAL Goobusters posted:

poo poo I wanna get tactics ogre reborn but I’ve been getting sold reading a lot about triangle strategy! This game totally flew under my radar for some reason.

They're both exceptional but there really is something fresh about Triangle Strategy. I think it flew under some other people's radars as well just because Octopath Traveler fell flat for so many, and then Triangle Strategy had what seemed like such a generic title on top of it.

Turns out it was way better than expected, just really excellent

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
TriStrat wasn't even the octopath folks, just had some of the same people on it, the dev was Artdink. Which thinking about it is on my list twice since they do A-Train as well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

TriStrat wasn't even the octopath folks, just had some of the same people on it, the dev was Artdink. Which thinking about it is on my list twice since they do A-Train as well.

Yeah it had the same producer as Octopath but an almost entirely different dev team. It just looked really connected because it was the second original HD-2D game to come out and its logo has the same font and style as Octopath's.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Elden Ring is amazingly accessible because it has a safety release valve, and that is "go somewhere else". It's not really possible to get permanently stuck on something, because there is no gate that you have pass or box you have to tick to get to the rest of the game. You can give up, walk in the other direction from whatever keeps killing you, and find something else brand new that will exercise a different set of skills or be more susceptible to your build and maybe give you an easier time. If nothing else, you can find a huge field full of basic enemies that you can kill to level up, and unlike most other games it's a brand new field you've never seen before so it doesn't feel like a boring grind. Maybe you'll eventually make your way back to what you were stuck on, and then you'll be a higher level and more experienced and kill it. Maybe you'll never see it again and not even care because there is so much more game that you forget it ever existed. You can just wander, for dozens of hours, sometimes gently bouncing off things, sometimes piercing through and ending up somewhere you never imagined

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Wasn't it the same producer as Tristrat/Bravely Default?

Kind of a reminder that there's like a lack of consistency about who gets creative credit for a game, apart from some high profile "auteur" figures.

or stuff like how everyone immediately credits Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey to Mistwalker despite the fact that Mistwalker didn't have very many employees and the bulk of the "actual" game was made by Artoon

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I played the demo of Triangle Strategy and I'll admit my response to seeing it so often here was "oh, a game eventually started happening after all? Nice."

Being on Game Pass or PS+ seems to be a huge boon for smaller or indie stuff

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think there was a similar feeling around the original dark souls - this game's so popular, everyone's gonna try and copy it. then it turns out that making one of those games actually good and fun is extremely difficult and i don't think adding an enormously detailed and wonderful open world on top of it makes it any easier. it also took fromsoft five iterations of basically the same game to get to elden ring.

it might finally drive home the idea to major game devs that gamers can be trusted to figure things out for themselves. though given how many devs had meltdowns about elden ring (and metroid dread which has a similar ethos despite being a completely different game) maybe not.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i think that a good test for Tristrat is if you hear the opening narration about the fictional political ramifications of the salt trade and are the type of person who goes "oh hell yeah"

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i think that a good test for Tristrat is if you hear the opening narration about the fictional political ramifications of the salt trade and are the type of person who goes "oh hell yeah"

I played the demo and there were 3 fights totalling like 25 mins of play intercut with 3 hours of cutscenes and even the side missions were just cutscenes with no fighting.
I will play the game when theres a pc mod to strip out the story and just do the cool combat maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i ended up liking the dialogue bits (including the whole branching plot system) even more than the combat but i am a total sucker for the vibe Tristrat was going for