Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

PFlats posted:

Or, perhaps, his climactic redemption.

"Without a doubt, many called him a tyrant, but in the end, when it counted, he and his son saved the world."

Well, Xykon does have a huge army. The OoTS are going to need an army of their own at some point to bail them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Alchenar posted:

Well, Xykon does have a huge army. The OoTS are going to need an army of their own at some point to bail them out.

Yes, but they're leaving it behind at Azure City Gobbotopia. This next confrontation at Girard's portal will be a small unit action.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

PFlats posted:

Or, perhaps, his climactic redemption.

I'm pretty sure there is going to be 1 dude legitimately redeemed in this story (not counting whatever Belkar's going through) and it's going to be Redcloak. Tarquin neither wants nor needs redemption from his viewpoint, and anyone saying he does probably just wants to see him stick around longer than the inevitable big finale.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

jng2058 posted:

Yes, but they're leaving it behind at Azure City Gobbotopia. This next confrontation at Girard's portal will be a small unit action.

1 more Gate after that. Which is obviously where the story ends.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Alchenar posted:

1 more Gate after that. Which is obviously where the story ends.

1 gate in the north. Dwarves live in the north. Durkon's return home will destroy the dwarf kingdom. Durkon will return home posthumously. Xyklon likes to reanimate defeated foes.

Betting anything Durkon gets killed and zombified, and then take part in the attack on the dwarves as Xyklon moves to the last gate.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Nilbop posted:

I'm pretty sure there is going to be 1 dude legitimately redeemed in this story (not counting whatever Belkar's going through) and it's going to be Redcloak. Tarquin neither wants nor needs redemption from his viewpoint, and anyone saying he does probably just wants to see him stick around longer than the inevitable big finale.

I don't think he was suggesting it would be a sincere redemption. Just Tarquin manipulating the nature of the narrative.

"And now I get away with it scott free"

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Fried Chicken posted:

1 gate in the north. Dwarves live in the north. Durkon's return home will destroy the dwarf kingdom. Durkon will return home posthumously. Xyklon likes to reanimate defeated foes.

Betting anything Durkon gets killed and zombified, and then take part in the attack on the dwarves as Xyklon moves to the last gate.

Durkon will be returning home on his shield (that was the phrase the oracle used, right?) So while he's most likely going to be dead I don't think zombification is in the cards.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Is it too early to call that he'll be riding his shield down a mountain like a sled when he returns to them? One of these days I'm bound to pick a twist correctly.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cliff Racer posted:

Durkon will be returning home on his shield (that was the phrase the oracle used, right?) So while he's most likely going to be dead I don't think zombification is in the cards.

The oracle just said 'posthumously'.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is.. is it too early to call that Durkon will develop a spell to have six feet of dirt hover in front of him at all time, which he will cast just before returning home? :ohdear:

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
He's going to die because the cleric/ paladin always dies.

R.I.P Sturm, or whatever your name was.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Nilbop posted:

He's going to die because the cleric/ paladin always dies.

R.I.P Sturm, or whatever your name was.

Sturm Brightblade. I think he was actually just a fighter, albeit a pretty hardcore one.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
The original cleric in the group was Goldenmoon, who iirc lived longer than any of other other members of the group.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

One theory that came up in the GITP forum was that Girard's soul may be body-hopping between his descendants. Is there any method for this in 3.5? I know there's a ton of other ways to avoid aging/death, but this sounds like the most dickish way possible, so it has my theory vote.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
You can totally steal someone else's body permanently in 3.5

However, that's a Necromancy thing, which Illusionists are normally barred from doing.

Cabbit posted:

Sturm Brightblade. I think he was actually just a fighter, albeit a pretty hardcore one.

He was worse then that, he was a Paladin in a setting that had no magic. He was effectively a lovely fighter without any feats. Dude was still badass though. I read those books back in middle school, I was thinking I should read them again. I only hope I don't hate them this time and ruin my nostalgia.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Cuchulain posted:

I only hope I don't hate them this time and ruin my nostalgia.

Prediction: You will.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Yeah I don't think I'll read them again. I'd rather just have vague, disassociated memories of cool stuff (Wizard with hourglass shaped eyes, Paladin with no magic fighting a dragon, forest of fear, also a magical healing stick I think?) then fresh memories of a mediocre book.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."

Cuchulain posted:

However, that's a Necromancy thing, which Illusionists are normally barred from doing.

He was worse then that, he was a Paladin in a setting that had no magic. He was effectively a lovely fighter without any feats. Dude was still badass though. I read those books back in middle school, I was thinking I should read them again. I only hope I don't hate them this time and ruin my nostalgia.

Pretty sure it was written before 3rd edition and before feats were introduced. There was definitely magic, no holy magic though because the gods abandoned them. If he'd managed to live another few books he might have started gaining the paladin abilities from Paladine he didn't have previously.

Come to think of it did the modern popularization of the word paladin come about from Dragonlance/Paladine? From wiki Charlemagne had a couple as bodyguards but it's not a common title.

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Goffer posted:

Come to think of it did the modern popularization of the word paladin come about from Dragonlance/Paladine? From wiki Charlemagne had a couple as bodyguards but it's not a common title.

Unlikely. In the late '50's there was a TV western called "Have Gun, Will Travel" about a noble gun-for-hire by the name of Paladin. There was a white knight on his business cards, so there was definitely that association in pop culture before the Dragon Lance books.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

navyjack posted:

Prediction: You will.

Echoing this, I read them in junior high or around then and remembered them being pretty awesome, but I tried again a few years later and it just didn't read the same at all.

Same goes for pretty much all the trash DND fiction I read. Not to say I'm above it, I just probably got burnt out on it for the rest of my life.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Cuchulain posted:

There's nothing inherent to being an illusionist that requires you to bar necromancy, it's just that a lot of people who specialize drop it. Considering a lot of illusions don't work against the undead, being an illusionist with access to necromancy isn't an awful idea. Lots of good debuffs in that school.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Turns out Girard is such a great illusionist he managed to hide the fact that he's actually a fantastc necromancer for all these years.

... I dunno I'm not feeling it. My money would be on something like, Girard regularly poses as a younger version of himself called Orrin to pick up chicks and is such a great illusionist he can fool divination magic (would he still call himself Draketooth, though?), or Orrin is his actual name and Girard was just an alias. Or something. I mean this whole "master illusionist" buildup has got to pay off in a spectacular way fairly soon, doesn't it?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Goffer posted:

That's where the title comes from, as the Holy Roman Emporer's loyal bodyguards they entered folklore as paragons of virtue. The word shows up a lot in medieval literature.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Orrrrrrrrrrrrrr Girard isn't stupid and wouldn't be dumb enough to choose a specialization which gave away his weaknesses in the first place.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

So... what if Xyklon just comes down and kills Tarquin because we was bored and smugness burns better. Won't that kind of dick his goals over. No redemption, no revenge, just got eaten by a bigger fish.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

So... what if Xyklon just comes down and kills Tarquin because we was bored and smugness burns better. Won't that kind of dick his goals over. No redemption, no revenge, just got eaten by a bigger fish.

I hope we get to see a confronation between Xykon and Tarquin, who knows Tarquin might have had pre-lich Xykon on the payroll occasionally.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

You say this like there's some way it wouldn't be completely awesome.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Affi posted:

I hope we get to see a confronation between Xykon and Tarquin, who knows Tarquin might have had pre-lich Xykon on the payroll occasionally.

Knowing Tarquin's early personality (Start of Darkness,) I highly doubt it.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Cliff Racer posted:

Knowing Tarquin's early personality (Start of Darkness,) I highly doubt it.
Tarquin, or Xykon? I didn't think Tarquin showed up in SoD.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

XkyRauh posted:

Tarquin, or Xykon? I didn't think Tarquin showed up in SoD.

Think he means Xykon, who was pretty much purely independent in SoD before joining Redcloak.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

True Evil Bob posted:

Think he means Xykon, who was pretty much purely independent in SoD before joining Redcloak.

Yeah, I did mean Xykon, sorry for that.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
Wait, wait, I got it.

Draketooth is Haley. It explains how Haley and Draketooth have never been in the same room together!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New comic - http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0817.html

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Gharbad the Weak posted:

Wait, wait, I got it.

Draketooth is Haley. It explains how Haley and Draketooth have never been in the same room together!

No no no the entire continent and it's feuds are an elaborate illusion of Girard.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Oh man, I know it was a set-up, but goddamn that last joke was great.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
He may be a facist dictator, but by god, Tarquin would get things done. I'm voting Blood Emperess 2012!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

YouTuber posted:

No no no the entire continent and it's feuds are an elaborate illusion of Girard.
This is a theory I've upheld since they first set foot on that continent, but with every new strip it's getting harder to do it. Just don't think Rich Burlew is the kind of writer to pull an "it was all a dream" on all these personal backstory revelations.

... or maybe that's what he wants us to think.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I shouldn't be drinking hot drinks while I read the comic. It hurts.

:v: "Hi! I'm Elan! What's your name, Roy?"

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I want to believe his mentioning the color was a Warhammer joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pope Guilty posted:

I want to believe his mentioning the color was a Warhammer joke.

It totally is.