Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Javid posted:

New question based on what annoyed me today:

Right off I-5 here is this thing.

The problem is that somebody decided all of 199 needs to stop every time somebody leaves the fred meyer parking lot. During the evening rush this will back up traffic clear to the previous intersection, and because people are loving retards, they just stack up across it and block a road that actually matters.

I'd just restrict it to right-in, right-out and get rid of the signal, or make it left-in and only interrupt one direction. Anything to get rid of the left turns out. Arrangements like this are very similar around the country and work fantastically well.

Here is an analogous situation, complete with another access to the parking lot on the cross street: http://binged.it/XT3gk3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
One thing I would NOT recommend is this thing. I can't tell you how many accidents and close calls I've seen from people trying to jam themselves into the left turn opening to head southbound on Dale Mabry, leaving part of their vehicle hanging out into the northbound lanes.... usually 2 or 3 at a time. It's on the list of things to modify if the accident rate increases any further.

Varance fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Aug 10, 2014

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

PittTheElder posted:

Are they truly less efficient though? Just by concentrating your carbon emissions in one place, it becomes much more feasible to scrub it and reduce the carbon content before it hits the atmosphere. Now I have no idea if US plants actually bother to do it, but doing it on a few thousand power plants is much easier than doing it on a few million consumer vehicles.

Carbon sequestration sounds like a good idea, but it's expensive (more fossil energy needed to extract the carbon dioxide from air). And there is no evidence that it actually works, long-term. Research ongoing, of course, but if you're going to hinge the future existence of humanity on hypothetical technology, in order not to reduce our energy usage, you might as well choose to hope for fusion power to be viable.

This guy did some maths, and he figures there must be no more than 1% leakage per thousand years, otherwise the whole thing is completely useless. And carbon dioxide leaks very easily.

http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/v3/n7/full/ngeo896.html

This guys says it will never be viable, as it's as expensive as solar power:
http://www.smartplanet.com/blog/the-take/why-carbon-capture-and-storage-will-never-pay-off/

Edit:

OK, traffic talk.
I was just in the UK on holiday, and man, pedestrians have to wait a long time for green over there! It seems it's standard practice to have a separate, pedestrian-only, phase (button activated) at the end of each cycle. So at a four-way crossing, all four crosswalks would get green at the same time, while all car lanes have a red. Saw this in Liverpool and London, at least. If you need to cross diagonally in one cycle, you have to run like hell, because the ped phase is very short, too.

In contrast, in Sweden (and most European countries I've been in), peds have a green when parallel car traffic has a green. So, turning cars have to watch out for peds, which might be slightly less safe I guess. On the other hand, British peds seem to very much ignore the signals because they take too long to turn green.

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Aug 11, 2014

Brovine
Dec 24, 2011

Mooooo?

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

OK, traffic talk.
I was just in the UK on holiday, and man, pedestrians have to wait a long time for green over there! It seems it's standard practice to have a separate, pedestrian-only, phase (button activated) at the end of each cycle. So at a four-way crossing, all four crosswalks would get green at the same time, while all car lanes have a red. Saw this in Liverpool and London, at least. If you need to cross diagonally in one cycle, you have to run like hell, because the ped phase is very short, too.

You only get a green if that section of pedestrian crossing is fully protected. Otherwise, you don't. A green light when cars are still able to cross seems a very bad idea, to me.

There's no such thing as jaywalking in the UK - if you think it's safe to cross without waiting for the lights, then by all means do so.

nozz
Jan 27, 2007

proficient pringle eater

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

OK, traffic talk.

In contrast, in Sweden (and most European countries I've been in), peds have a green when parallel car traffic has a green. So, turning cars have to watch out for peds, which might be slightly less safe I guess. On the other hand, British peds seem to very much ignore the signals because they take too long to turn green.

I think older signals tended to have parallel phases where different crossings would go green at different times, but more recently they seem to prefer making all traffic stop at once, at the expense of pedestrians getting impatient and crossing whenever they want. I do prefer our system where if crossings are signalised then you don't have to count on cars giving way to you in some cases.

Also for modern crossings the pedestrian timing is dependent on motion detectors along the crossing to allow more time for slower pedestrians. So if you go across diagonally you won't be detected and it would default to the lowest time if there was no-one else.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Brovine posted:

You only get a green if that section of pedestrian crossing is fully protected. Otherwise, you don't. A green light when cars are still able to cross seems a very bad idea, to me.

Well, it seems to work. Drivers here know to watch for peds on crossings when turning, and peds know to watch for cars. Drivers have to give way, when turning.

Going by the WHO's traffic deaths report, the UK has twice as many pedestrian traffic deaths per capita as Sweden (7,75 vs 3,42 per million, in 2010, if I did the numbers right).

Not that I'm saying that's all because of the traffic lights. I have no data about how many of those deaths were on signaled crossings. (Those are both pretty good numbers.)

Brovine posted:

There's no such thing as jaywalking in the UK - if you think it's safe to cross without waiting for the lights, then by all means do so.

Well, there isn't in Sweden either, my point was that it seems like long waiting times would erode people's willingness to respect the lights. Which might lead to them getting run over, some other time.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I recently saw a traffic light go green a few seconds after the walk signal lit. busy one-way street, the crossing is the main pedestrian entrance to the train station. Drivers in all 3 lanes floored it as the light went green even though we were all in the crosswalk and jammed on the brakes as they realized they weren't going to make it through the crowd.

This is what happens when you lay off the city's only traffic engineer and let it go to poo poo over a decade.

Street view:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/1...e7ec53124793936

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

GWBBQ posted:

I recently saw a traffic light go green a few seconds after the walk signal lit. busy one-way street, the crossing is the main pedestrian entrance to the train station. Drivers in all 3 lanes floored it as the light went green even though we were all in the crosswalk and jammed on the brakes as they realized they weren't going to make it through the crowd.

This is what happens when you lay off the city's only traffic engineer and let it go to poo poo over a decade.

Street view:

Better give Mani Poola a call. Just don't pretend to be the DOT commissioner, or else you'll get arrested months later. (anyone catch that reference?)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

GWBBQ posted:

Street view:

That appears to be the intent of that installation. Normally you would just have a crosswalk by itself, with the supplemental signs pointing out it's a crosswalk, and saying "State Law - Stop for Peds in Crosswalk". But people don't stop for peds. So they installed a light that makes traffic stop briefly to give peds enough chance to "take the lane" and be brave about starting to walk, and then relies on drivers obeying the law to yield to peds in crosswalk. This lets you have shorter stoppages for vehicles because they only have to wait long enough for the peds to actually clear the intersection, instead of having a red time based on the slow-moving assumption in the MUTCD. Or if there's a big crowd of peds, it lets them hold priority longer.

It does seem like it's not quite working as intended though. It should probably flash yellow instead of green, but I don't do signal design, and that thing is probably violating some MUTCD rules that would help guide driver expectations for green = they have the right of way.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah that seems like a really bad design. I get the intent but it should not go to green, green makes drivers think they have right of way and the peds better loving MOVE or it's legal to run them down. I don't know how you'd solve that, alternate between red and some sort of flashing crosswalk warning sign?

Also the idea of not stopping for pedestrians at a crosswalk seems crazy, it's like not stopping at a red light. Here if people didn't notice someone at a crosswalk they'll jam on the breaks, it's serious, you HAVE to stop as if it's a red. I actually almost got hit at a crosswalk the other day. Narrow 2 lane road in a very busy tourist area and this huge white expedition or escalade or something with Montana plates doing about 10km (traffic moves slow there) just slowly keeps driving into the crosswalk I'm in. I had to actually slap their hood to get their attention and jump back a little. They looked at me as if I was in the wrong but didn't honk. The monster SUV got dirty looks from everyone and some lady shouted "LEARN TO DRIVE rear end in a top hat" from behind me.

I often have to be extra careful if I see foreign plates because American and Albertan's drivers apparently are lawless savages not used to ever seeing pedestrians.

One of their favourite things to do is quickly turn left when there's a break in car traffic, into pedestrians they didn't bother to check for. Then they either have to mow down the pedestrians or cause the cars in the oncoming lane to stop. Or just honk and blast through the pedestrians hoping they'll jump away. I always walk extra slow for these assholes.

\/ Man, cars bullying peds on a right turn, that's loving bizzaro world. I wish we had something like that here just to give cars a chance to ever turn right on a green. Generally it's always so packed with pedestrians you have no chance until the very last seconds, and hope a jerk doesn't run accross while the don't-walk is flashing. Generally it's like turning left, you've got a second or two while it's red but the other way hasn't turned green.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Aug 12, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
In one of the heavier pedestrian crossings in Baltimore, there is a heavy right-turn movement at a signalized intersection. At that location, there is a red-right turn arrow that stays lit for 5-10 seconds after the through movement has started, just to give pedestrians a chance to get into the crosswalk, then goes permissive green (not green arrow) so that they can proceed while yielding to the peds. That delay works pretty well, where otherwise peds were getting bullied out of their only walk phase.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

A similar thing happens with cars vs bicycles here in Holland. The straight-ahead bicycle path gets green at the same time the car road does. However, this is resolved well. Any time this is the case, there's a sign under the traffic light indicating the possibility of meeting cyclists when turning right. Also, the curb between the road and the cycle path goes a little beyond the car traffic light, so that any waiting cyclists are already ahead of the cars, easily visible by drivers.

Concerning stopping for crosswalks (those without lights), I find it depends on the place. Most places I know, cars stop as soon as you attempt to cross. But in certain big cities such as The Hague, cars don't tend to stop until you're actually on the road itself. It's quite dangerous, you have to wait for a gap between cars, quickly jump onto the road, and hope the next driver is awake enough to brake in time.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Carbon dioxide posted:

Concerning stopping for crosswalks (those without lights), I find it depends on the place. Most places I know, cars stop as soon as you attempt to cross. But in certain big cities such as The Hague, cars don't tend to stop until you're actually on the road itself. It's quite dangerous, you have to wait for a gap between cars, quickly jump onto the road, and hope the next driver is awake enough to brake in time.

Some people here won't even stop if you're already in the road; I think it's common throughout the urban northeast. It was about the same in Paris, too: if there aren't a bunch of people crossing at once, don't expect drivers to yield.

Those of you who were saying last year that RRFB compliance would increase over time? We're still getting plenty of complaints. I think the efficacy of mid-block crosswalks depends more on locale than on how bright your flashers are.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
I'm curious about the lane continuity on a road I take to and from work.

Heading south it's primarily a two lane road until about 400-500 feet from a pretty sizable intersection, it expands to 3 full lanes with a fourth right turn lane. The third lane merges back in immediately after the intersection and then another 1500 feet down the road it merged down to one lane. Why bother doing 3 lanes if you're going to immediately get rid of all of them? I don't know the roads history, I only recently moved to the area and my guess was more that they wanted to get those lanes out of the way with the intention of expanding the whole road 2 to 3 lanes. This is the area in question

What's really weird is that a few miles down the road the one lane road expands to two for about 1500 feet on just the southbound side without any really major intersections and then goes back to 1. Here's that area.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Sometimes you just need those extra lanes at a long light for "storage" of cars waiting at the intersection. There's a couple like that here in Victoria where it's a normal 2 lane road, but at the intersection it goes to 4 lanes + a left turn lane then all the lanes merge back together not 100m from the intersection. It's just because otherwise you'd have a huge single-file line of cars that would back up and potentially gridlock other intersections and driveways.

It can get a little hairy as of course no one knows how to merge after the intersection and you sometimes get the poor people in the right lane just stopped and stuck there all the way back to the intersection as they wait for the left lane to let them in. It's seriously not even 100m, more like 50.

In the 2nd example you posted that's just a passing lane going up the hill. When ever you see 3-lane sections, the 2 lane is always the up-hill part. It's so slow heavy vehicles that don't like hills can keep right and let everyone pass. That's pretty much how all the mountain highways here function. 2 lanes up hill, 1 lane down.

http://goo.gl/maps/HqTjv

If you follow this highway you'll see it's mostly 2 lane but sometimes 3 lanes where it gets steep, with the 2 lane portion always being up the grade.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Aug 13, 2014

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Baronjutter posted:

Sometimes you just need those extra lanes at a long light for "storage" of cars waiting at the intersection. There's a couple like that here in Victoria where it's a normal 2 lane road, but at the intersection it goes to 4 lanes + a left turn lane then all the lanes merge back together not 100m from the intersection. It's just because otherwise you'd have a huge single-file line of cars that would back up and potentially gridlock other intersections and driveways.

It can get a little hairy as of course no one knows how to merge after the intersection and you sometimes get the poor people in the right lane just stopped and stuck there all the way back to the intersection as they wait for the left lane to let them in. It's seriously not even 100m, more like 50.

It's not storage as much as throughput. The lanes are called "Auxiliary Through Lanes", and the idea is that you have enough space downstream of the signal to merge back into fewer lanes more or less at speed. A lot of the time, this distance isn't long enough so operations suffers.

Here's an NCHRP report on how to do them correctly

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/nchrp/nchrp_rpt_707.pdf

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Devor posted:

That appears to be the intent of that installation. Normally you would just have a crosswalk by itself, with the supplemental signs pointing out it's a crosswalk, and saying "State Law - Stop for Peds in Crosswalk". But people don't stop for peds. So they installed a light that makes traffic stop briefly to give peds enough chance to "take the lane" and be brave about starting to walk, and then relies on drivers obeying the law to yield to peds in crosswalk. This lets you have shorter stoppages for vehicles because they only have to wait long enough for the peds to actually clear the intersection, instead of having a red time based on the slow-moving assumption in the MUTCD. Or if there's a big crowd of peds, it lets them hold priority longer.

It does seem like it's not quite working as intended though. It should probably flash yellow instead of green, but I don't do signal design, and that thing is probably violating some MUTCD rules that would help guide driver expectations for green = they have the right of way.
It's phased with the light at the intersection ahead of it. You're not allowed to walk unless you have the signal. It went green with no countdown and while the walk signal was still lit, then immediately went yellow and back to red.

Drivers in Stamford are particularly hostile to pedestrians, they'll turn right and lean on the horn or swerve around you with only a foot or two to spare even though you have a walk signal. There's one bus driver in all of downtown who will yield to pedestrians, the rest will make turns as people are crossing so you have to stop walking or get hit (and you might as well replace the gas pedal with an on/of switch, they're either driving full throttle or jamming on the brakes.) Traffic in the city is an unmitigated disaster.

Cichlidae posted:

Better give Mani Poola a call. Just don't pretend to be the DOT commissioner, or else you'll get arrested months later. (anyone catch that reference?)
OK, now I'm confused. One of the talking points in local elections is how long the city has gone without a traffic engineer but I never looked it up until now and apparently he's been there for a long time.

kznlol
Feb 9, 2013
Not entirely sure this is the right thread but I can't find answers to this from google.

Here in Ames, most of the 4-way intersections have left-turn lanes with corresponding traffic lights that have 5 signals - the normal red/yellow/green, and then yellow and green left arrows. This particular one confuses the gently caress out of me, because it gives me a signal I've never encountered before that doesn't seem to actually mean anything different to other signals.

Most of the time, when cycling out of 3 reds, the left signal will show both a green and a green arrow. This on its own seems a bit silly to me - I don't understand why it wouldn't just show the green arrow. More worryingly, however, it has on a few occasions shown red and a green arrow, to which I have reacted as if it was green and a green arrow (and not crashed, so its working so far). Why are these being shown and what do they mean :ohdear:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I think the balls are for the through lanes -- if there is a red ball with the arrow, then its turn only on both sides. With green ball and arrow it means that the opposite direction is stopped and everyone- through and turning- can go. That's what I've always interpreted it as, at least. I know here in dallas there are lights where the balls on the turn signal are used to indicate the lights for the opposing direction, so if you have only a green ball on the turn lane, it means that the light is green for the opposite direction and you can only turn once its safe.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Just looks like a doghouse but stacked vertically to me.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Can anyone explain this crosswalk?
http://goo.gl/maps/8RdGm
It's in the middle of absolutely nowhere rural country where none of the intersections for kilometers have crosswalks of any kind, and then bam right in the middle of this road leading to a ditch/rock, It has big standard crosswalk warning signs too, it's 100% legit crosswalk. I've never seen anything like it and every time I drive past it I just want to park and go knock the the local houses and ask what the gently caress is up with the crosswalk. There aren't even shoulders to walk on, it's a narrow barely 2 lane road, the only possible use would be those neighbours crossing the street to visit each other. Also traffic ranges from none of extremely light.

Another bit of a boggle, they re-did the sidewalk along here recently and this house lost its driveway. It had a driveway, now there's just a curb and tree. It has a car port on the other side, so my only guess is that the city said each house can only have 1 driveway so pick one or the other. Sometimes though I'll see a car in the driveway, no marks on the grass or curb though.
http://goo.gl/maps/bRfrR

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Aug 14, 2014

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Baronjutter posted:

Can anyone explain this crosswalk?
http://goo.gl/maps/8RdGm
It's in the middle of absolutely nowhere rural country where none of the intersections for kilometers have crosswalks of any kind, and then bam right in the middle of this road leading to a ditch/rock, It has big standard crosswalk warning signs too, it's 100% legit crosswalk. I've never seen anything like it and every time I drive past it I just want to park and go knock the the local houses and ask what the gently caress is up with the crosswalk. There aren't even shoulders to walk on, it's a narrow barely 2 lane road, the only possible use would be those neighbours crossing the street to visit each other. Also traffic ranges from none of extremely light.

Another bit of a boggle, they re-did the sidewalk along here recently and this house lost its driveway. It had a driveway, now there's just a curb and tree. It has a car port on the other side, so my only guess is that the city said each house can only have 1 driveway so pick one or the other. Sometimes though I'll see a car in the driveway, no marks on the grass or curb though.
http://goo.gl/maps/bRfrR

For your first mystery, my best guess is that either there's a trail crossing there (doesn't appear to be the case, but there are a lot of trails around), or, more likely, a ped got killed there. There are a lot of reactionary treatments like that. They might not really make the situation better, or justify the cost, but the family feels a whole lot better if at least you take action against the same tragedy happening again. Plus, the town engineer won't get sued for gross negligence :)

For the second one, that's probably the case. A sane town council will try to minimize curb cuts.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
That first one looks like it's a crossing from the house on one side to a little school bus stop area on the other side.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD
Who says engineering can't be pretty?

The version with rivers and parks turned on is even nicer looking.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

One thing I like is that a lot of combined pedestrian/cycle signals automatically go green for the bicycle traffic, while the pedestrian signal goes green on demand.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Welcome to suburbia! googlemaps
Reservoir, Victoria, Australia.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

drunkill posted:

Welcome to suburbia! googlemaps
Reservoir, Victoria, Australia.

That's got to be the craziest intersection ever

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like all those super thin buildings, looks like something you'd see in an older asian city.

Man, to top off that hosed intersection there's a railway running down the middle, god drat.

The Deadly Hume
May 26, 2004

Let's get a little crazy. Let's have some fun.

Baronjutter posted:

I like all those super thin buildings, looks like something you'd see in an older asian city.

Man, to top off that hosed intersection there's a railway running down the middle, god drat.
Yeah, there's a state election coming up in Victoria and the opposition (who will probably win) has made some noises about removing some of those level crossings across Melbourne. Which would be better than the current government which has rerouted a proposed metro out of the CBD and is currently trying to push a freeway tunnel to service an area that would be better served by a railway line. The Reservoir LC will be a really difficult one to upgrade though because of the road network it'd be the railway that needs to grade separated, including the station, so you would basically be taking out that line for years.

Also all those buildings would be shops. Usually single storey. Reservoir isn't quite of the density where putting the railway underground would be "viable", but, with Australian city traffic being terrible, the level crossing still causes a fair amount of congestion at peak times.

Australian cities tend to have a lot of the same issues as American ones, transport wise - only moderately dense, and breaks down into detached suburbia pretty close to the the CBD.

For instance Greater Sydney covers about the same area as Greater London with one quarter the population, and Melbourne has a pretty similar density - although it's not as hindered by the terrain as Sydney, which in fact only encourages the sprawl.

City planning across Melbourne is a mess, with a continue tug-of-war between developers who want to put ugly-rear end, flimsily constructed buildings in dumb spots (poo poo, in Docklands that's all there is) and blue-haired NIMBYs who are resistant to the idea of even modest infill (see Camberwell), with no happy medium it seems.

At least Melbourne never got rid of its trams like Sydney did, who are gradually reintroducing them to some of the old routes. (And Sydney is its own little level of urban development hell.)

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Hey, so question about the MUTCD. It's federal law that says it's the standard for signs, signals, and markings. But that doesn't mean that anybody is legally required to follow it? The way I read the federal statute is that if there was some doubt about what the "right" way to do it is, the MUTCD would provide the answer, but it doesn't force everyone to follow it. Surely they couldn't follow a Canadian version of the MUTCD, but there's no reason they can't experiment with something, right?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

The Deadly Hume posted:

Australian cities tend to have a lot of the same issues as American ones, transport wise - only moderately dense, and breaks down into detached suburbia pretty close to the the CBD.

I'd say they have that a lot worse. Even terribly sprawled out American cities tend to have a high buildings/high density core that's far larger than any Australian cities.

FISHMANPET posted:

Hey, so question about the MUTCD. It's federal law that says it's the standard for signs, signals, and markings. But that doesn't mean that anybody is legally required to follow it? The way I read the federal statute is that if there was some doubt about what the "right" way to do it is, the MUTCD would provide the answer, but it doesn't force everyone to follow it. Surely they couldn't follow a Canadian version of the MUTCD, but there's no reason they can't experiment with something, right?

If I remember right, violating it too often can trigger loss of federal funding for certain road projects. This isn't from some sort of automated process, but rather that when federal department of transportation personnel review funding requests it's considered.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

FISHMANPET posted:

Following the MUTCD is a great idea because if there is ever a lawsuit about an incident that they are blaming on the sign/signal/pavement markings, you can say "I followed the MUTCD" and it's very hard for someone to say the design was negligent. Whereas if you do some special snowflake design that isn't listed in the MUTCD (or violates it!) then they can get an expert up on the stand to explain why the MUTCD is the bees knees and you should award them $Texas in damages.

And as the other dude above me said, many agencies will require you to use the MUTCD for work they are funding.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

They're replacing this intersection with a roundabout.
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3282878,-73.2085203,245m/data=!3m1!1e3

I got to hear about if from my cousin on Saturday. You see, roundabouts are popular in socialist countries and they're "bringing all that stuff over here." He went on to explain that the safety statistics are fabricated in the same way that nobody dies at Disney because they don't declare them dead until they get to the hospital. He then went on to explain that some people can drive safely while on a cell phone (he's gotten a lot of tickets for it,) and that it's ridiculous that you can't even have it on your lap while driving. He also claimed that you can get a ticket even if you're pulled over or if your car is off (I'm pretty sure he made up that second one,) and got a lot of agreement from family that the cell phone laws go too far. Then the conversation went on to seat belt laws and a bunch of comments like "I always put it on when I get on the highway." Everyone was agreeing with that, too.

So either roundabouts are a socialist conspiracy and seatbelt and cell phone laws are purely a cash grab, or my that side of the family are a bunch of terrible drivers.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Why they are making it a roundabout instead of changing it in to a simple right angle intersection possibly with a traffic light first? I've seen a lot of those acute-angle-intersection-with-cutoff-leg style intersections changed to have the whole intersecting road bend over to form a three way intersection:
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.0136247,-74.8598436,431m/data=!3m1!1e3

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Nintendo Kid posted:

Why they are making it a roundabout instead of changing it in to a simple right angle intersection possibly with a traffic light first? I've seen a lot of those acute-angle-intersection-with-cutoff-leg style intersections changed to have the whole intersecting road bend over to form a three way intersection:

They've already got a nice center piece! Like, so nice and prepared it makes me wonder if that's always been the plan.

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Nintendo Kid posted:

Many states have already enacting laws declaring roundabouts the FIRST choice when it comes to intersection reconstruction, and in order to go with another design, the engineer has to prove why the roundabout would NOT work. Connecticut hasn't gone that far yet, but basically, roundabouts are going to work better than any stop-controlled intersection and be safer than any signal.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Nintendo Kid posted:

Because it's a socialist conspiracy.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
No surprises here:
http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/08/researchers-find-its-terrifyingly-easy-to-hack-traffic-lights/

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Yeah, I was telling a friend about that the other day. Depending on how the conflict monitor is set up, it would be trivial to either completely buttfuck a city's roads for a while or cause thousands of (potentially fatal) accidents. I'm surprised foreign governments haven't gone after traffic signal systems, honestly. It seems like extremely valuable sabotage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Baltimore is immune to this attack :smug:

Their lights aren't even connected to the adjacent ones for timing purposes