Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

pr0k posted:

now you know why i don't post

You people fill me with sadness.

I really liked when we had the predecessor of COOK OR DIE!! when a poster made a series of different dishes based on a theme, then subsequent posters added their own items.

If I recall correctly, I did a few variants on cold pasta salads.

The mega threads dominate the front page. New recipie threads are nearly extinct. There's precious few tales of sexual debauchery in the chat thread.

If only this place holds on until I get my wood fired pizza oven built... (Coming, spring of 2014)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
But you did, and have done so for some time. e: Meant to be a reply to Pr0k.

Move on, I have.
I have better things to care about than GWC arguments.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uGmFeawkRw
Baby started crawling last week, and was in my office today, (crawled here from the other end of the hallway)
My office is full of tools (like car and air con repair stuff), old PCs and audio gear etc, so was more worried about that today than anything here.

e:I don't really care that much if americana mid western style cuisine fill the forums really, as long as we have Mrs Gunderson to guide us, what could go wrong?

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 24, 2013

toby
Dec 4, 2002

pr0k posted:

banning mommy dearest and tenementfunster and poo poo like that broke sa forever

gws was great unmoderated. it was never the complete impenetrable inbred circle-jerk certain people are making it out to be now. if you talked poo poo and didn't know what you were talking about (cheffy chef!) you got your rear end handed to you. if you were a newb and honest we were pretty nice. that poo poo people are spewing now are the wishful pipe dreams of lovely moderators. never happened. now you have a boring vanilla suburb where people have to argue nicely whether or not dressing up midwestern hotdish is of value. clue: yes, it is; but talking nicely about whether or not it has value? god loving no.

Stuff it pr0k

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Noooo pr0k don't stuff it. Cook your stuffing separately so as to lower the risk of pathogens and/or overcooking your bird.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Noooo pr0k don't stuff it. Cook your stuffing separately so as to lower the risk of pathogens and/or overcooking your bird.

Plus, you won't get that nice crunchy top if you stuff it. You only get uniform goo with periodic wads of coagulated protein goo.

(Isn't it dressing and not stuffing when not actually stuffed in a dead critter cavity?)

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

My family always called it dressing regardless of whether or not it was in the bird. That's probably a Midwestern dialect thing, though.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

You guys wanna stop bitching and maybe post poo poo. TIA. We have a new NICSA, a new COD, and two other new threads in two days. It's not amazing but it's a start, and certainly more than it has been for a long rear end time.

I pm'd Azn sensation. How long should I give him until we move to the next in line to host ICSA?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

bartolimu posted:

My family always called it dressing regardless of whether or not it was in the bird. That's probably a Midwestern dialect thing, though.

My family always called it stuffing whether or not it was inside the bird. Maybe that's a New England thing.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

GrAviTy84 posted:

You guys wanna stop bitching and maybe post poo poo. TIA. We have a new NICSA, a new COD, and two other new threads in two days. It's not amazing but it's a start, and certainly more than it has been for a long rear end time.

I pm'd Azn sensation. How long should I give him until we move to the next in line to host ICSA?

But, but, but bitching and doing nothing to solve the problem (and blaming the "others" for loving things up for everyone) is the AMERICAN WAY!!!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
If you guys get Gourd to post again and contribute he and I always intended to make a polish food thread. Make Gourd post again.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I think the whole forum went downhill when gourd first stopped posting for a few months. Or as he called it "fell down and slipped into a coma."

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

It's not just Gourd, or Happy Hat. I haven't seen a lot of old regulars post in a long time. Charmmi, Worldmaker, PF, and Halal off the top of my head.

anyway, Vegetable Melange is next in line for ICSA hosting, I haven't heard from Azn Sensation. Are you interested VM?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What were these mythical recipe threads from ancient times like? Any examples I can browse?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Steve Yun posted:

What were these mythical recipe threads from ancient times like? Any examples I can browse?

you don't really need to go back far to find them, hell fgm's carbonnade thread is on page 2 and still active.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2978332

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3558354

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3460932

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3509075

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3438782

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3449644

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505900

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3481873

more poo poo like these.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

When I used to read GWS, people would post recipes with pictures and an explanation of the process. Some people posted pretty nice pictures, that was a bonus. Then it gradually got competitive and insidery and weird until people were getting mad about recipes that weren't spectacular enough or photos that weren't professionally staged and things kind of fell apart from there.

It's a shame, because I got some good and/or fun and/or easy recipes and tips from this forum for a while! It would be cool if it ever gets back to just being a chill cooking subforum that everybody can participate in.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

booby posted:

Then it gradually got competitive and insidery and weird until people were getting mad about recipes that weren't spectacular enough or photos that weren't professionally staged and things kind of fell apart from there.

I would love to see some examples of this because I don't remember that happening at all.

toby
Dec 4, 2002

Maybe you were drunk!

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Maybe I still am.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

welp, that just pushed me into buying an archive account

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

I would love to see some examples of this because I don't remember that happening at all.

Well there was the blowjob chili thread. And EmeraldCity.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drink and Fight posted:

Well there was the blowjob chili thread. And EmeraldCity.

Those blew up for their own special reasons, having nothing to do with photography or spectacularity.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Those blew up for their own special reasons, having nothing to do with photography or spectacularity.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Chickencheese

:can:

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Not to mention that they both happened after these policies were implemented and are, therefore, not exactly a good demonstration that these policies were warranted or effective.

PJX was a good mod. Didn't post. Didn't moderate. Moderating a forum you post in is usually a bad idea. Always goes to your head eventually.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 24, 2013

toby
Dec 4, 2002

The Moderation Expert

I'd moderate this forum for a while, and I don't know poo poo about cooking. Pretty sure you'd change your mind on that opinion immediately.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I like that GWS feels more open now, but I do miss the recipe threads. I've seen a few where the first reply was just "why didn't you put this in X megathread", maybe we can stop doing that. The individual recipe threads are great to encourage people to try something they might not have made.

Maybe stop posting any recipes in the what did you have for dinner thread? If you want to post a recipe, make a thread.

I like the cuisine megathreads though, the Chinese thread is awesome and more of those would be great.

e: Also this is just personal opinion not Mod Opinion.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 25, 2013

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Bye, Steve.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

dino. posted:

Bye, Steve.

:glomp: awwwwww dino. :(

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I'm sorry dino. I hope everything goes alright.

In other news, this is the best thing that proto-GWS ever produced and I wish we had more threads like this

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

dino. posted:

Bye, Steve.

Oh no :( sorry

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Who's Steve!?!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Who's Steve!?!

His husband.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

I remember the one time I went to Souper Salad it was in Boston in the 1990s. We all got our salads and soups or whatever and then sat down, not far from the salad bar area.
There were a few of us, and we were very hungover and stoned, but eventually someone noticed out that this one lady was loving wrecking the salad bar.
We watched her, very carefully and slowly, load about 4 pounds of salad onto her tiny salad bar plate that was made to hold a few ounces of salad.
She had carefully made a supporting latticework base out of everything large and stiff, like celery sticks, effectively increasing the diameter of her plate to twice it size and then basically made a bowl out of other semi-rigid things like firm greens and then filled the bowl she'd made with all the premium items like grilled chicken and cherry tomatoes and boiled eggs.

She was Asian.
That's not important except that I found out a couple years later that this was an art form that had been introduced in (I think) S. Korea when Pizza Hut had opened franchises there that had single trip salad bars. There was a whole web site about it where people were posting their estimated dollar values for their 2 dollar single-trips. Some of them were like 30 or 40 dollar estimated values.

People were literally grocery shopping at Pizza Hut.

edit: and whatever's up with dino's boy, I hope is temporary and not awful?

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
gently caress, dino. sorry.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

:(

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

mediaphage posted:

His husband.

:( Sorry, I don't go into IRC or follow super closely. I always heard the husband referred to as "puppy." I'm sorry Dino. You are a good poster and I like your threads and I'm sure that is very hard. :(

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
A bad night. Dino deserves only the best at all times.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
??!! Oh no, dino... I hope that isn't what we think it is.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Yeah, it's divorce (which was mutual, and about two weeks ago), and I found out day before yesterday that he's moving into the college's dorms, and that I've got until the 31st to gently caress off from here to another place. When I told my boss, he point blank said, "Just come stay with me until December if you want to" (at which point I'm going back to FL for a semester of classes to finish my degree). When he did give me such a small window in which to sort my stuff out, I basically said, "OK, time to split the remaining cash, to get off of each other's credit cards, and for me to open up a separate bank account". So we did all that.

So I got home last night, and started making dinner (as I've done pretty close to every night for the past seven years). And he says, about when I'm halfway in, that he's already eaten, and to just get myself something.

About an hour later, he says he needs to get things done, and would rather do so in his dorm room, so see you tomorrow or something. It was gently caress-off cold. Was complaining in the gay irc room, and Eponine (from the gay thread) said to call her if I needed to talk. I did, and we talked for like an hour or so. I managed to get to sleep around midnight.

I was going to drown my emotions in copious amounts of gin, but then I realised that I'd then feel like crap emotionally /and/ physically in the morning (and I still need to get to physical therapy and work in the AM), so vetoed that idea. Instead I had /a/ gin and tonic, and about a half glass of wine before calling it quits.

Fortunately, I have been ruthlessly getting rid of pretty drat near everything I own, so the actual move (be it to my boss's house, or an apartment share situation) will mean packing it all into one (large) suitcase, hailing a cab, and then getting to where I need to go. It sucks endlessly, but what do you do, right? I'm just glad we decided to end it now, when we still do love each other, and are amenable to just going our separate ways without having anything more entangled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Oh no. I'm sorry, dino. :(