Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Watching Scott Pilgrim again.

Roxy's line, "I'm a little bi-furious!" always made me laugh but I had never caught her calling Ramona a "washed-up hasbian".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Arcsquad12 posted:

You paid for Robert Downey Jr's face and body you can't hide that behind a suit of armor. It needs to be form fitting and we need to see his full head as much as possible. No more face cam footage or retractable helmet visors, we need full on dematerialization.

Yeah, this is definitely an evolution of the 'make the hero keep taking off their mask' thing. You want as much of the actual actor acting as possible, so coming up with ways to streamline away that transition between 'masked hero' and 'unmasked human' becomes paramount. I understand it even if I disagree on the grounds of preferring most costumes be as tangible as possible.

My journey through the Arrowverse has gotten me to their Crisis on Earth-X crossover, which has a similar thing going on. That Earth-X seems to really love its full facemasks that dematerialize with the press of a button so that we can get some face acting going on. It's probably also why Martian Manhunter kept deciding to be in his human form when he's actually on Mars, so David Harewood and Carl Lumbly can act without some heavy-duty makeup work and/or CGI.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 15:09 on May 2, 2019

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Yeah, I much prefer the more 'realistic' solid suits, especially with that satisfying solid 'clunk' when the visor drops down, but I understand why not.

ANAmal.net
Mar 2, 2002

100% digital native web developer
Something from Us that might be a subtle nod, I'm not sure if I'm just crazy: After she kills regular Elizabeth Moss, tether Elizabeth Moss starts carving up her own neck, which I think is a nod to regular Elizabeth Moss talking earlier about "getting some work done" - the tether Elizabeth Moss is trying to copy her facelift.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

ANAmal.net posted:

Something from Us that might be a subtle nod, I'm not sure if I'm just crazy: After she kills regular Elizabeth Moss, tether Elizabeth Moss starts carving up her own neck, which I think is a nod to regular Elizabeth Moss talking earlier about "getting some work done" - the tether Elizabeth Moss is trying to copy her facelift.

I... don't know how that's subtle at all.

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Jedit posted:

More like olddickless.

c'mon, "old peenless" was RIGHT THERE man.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Heh old penis

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Roblo posted:

Yeah, I much prefer the more 'realistic' solid suits, especially with that satisfying solid 'clunk' when the visor drops down, but I understand why not.
Warmachine is still the sweetspot to me, He is a flying tank but you get actor facetime as well with the basically impossible collapsing helmet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The iron man helmets were always snug fits but the last few films have veered into Bioware "this helmet will literally crush your head" territory.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Endgame

Shortly before it got into theaters there was an announcement for a Falcon & Winter Soldier TV show. That might still be set before Endgame, but technically it's Captain America and Bucky.

Tony Stark's character arc for 10 years essentially has been "there's a problem, Tony tries to find a simple solution, and it develops into something that makes things exponentially worse." He's tried to solve everyone's problems with a snap of his fingers all this time, and finally he gets to do it.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

My Lovely Horse posted:

Endgame

He's tried to solve everyone's problems with a snap of his fingers all this time, and finally he gets to do it.

I really, really like that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The iron man helmets were always snug fits but the last few films have veered into Bioware "this helmet will literally crush your head" territory.

Iron Man's depiction in the movies is pretty much completely in line with the comics.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Iron Man's depiction in the movies is pretty much completely in line with the comics.

Someone I know doesn't read comics at all but watched Iron Man 1 with me. He said, "That was a pretty good movie but it's like... okay I get it he fucks. Why was the flight crew a bunch of strippers?"

I then showed him some covers from around 2000 and he just went, "Yep! I get it now."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

ANAmal.net posted:

There are many subtle things in Us but that is not one of them.

My favorite thing is the multiple Black Flag shirts worn in the movie. Black Flag’s logo looks like 11:11. The first of the shirts is the cover of My War, which is a puppet in red stabbing downward. The title track of that album features repetition of the phrase “you’re one of them.”

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Nice little touch from last night's Game of Thrones

The anti-dragon Scorpion weapons on the walls in the last scene were sitting on platforms with uneven, unpainted boards. They were clearly slapped together at the last minute

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
On the other hand they got a character's name wrong and there's a Starbucks cup in front of Dany during the banquet scene at one point.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Baron von Eevl posted:

On the other hand they got a character's name wrong and there's a Starbucks cup in front of Dany during the banquet scene at one point.

A hundred percent that was on purpose though

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It was a double mistake because they only get the regional last name if their father acknowledges them, so he wasn't Gendry Rivers or Waters either.

It is easily explained by Gendry just being ignorant I guess.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It could be either way, considering it's literally the first time in the entire series that he was referred to anything other than "Gendry" or "Gendry Baratheon"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Aphrodite posted:

It was a double mistake because they only get the regional last name if their father acknowledges them, so he wasn't Gendry Rivers or Waters either.

It is easily explained by Gendry just being ignorant I guess.

I meant the Starbucks cup. Of course Starbucks would pay a gorillion dollars to have their product front and center during the third to last episode of the biggest TV show of the last 10 years especially masquerading as a gaffe to generate memes and the virals

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Memento posted:

Nice little touch from last night's Game of Thrones

The anti-dragon Scorpion weapons on the walls in the last scene were sitting on platforms with uneven, unpainted boards. They were clearly slapped together at the last minute

One thing that bugged me about that is There were zero extra arrows around for reload. They did a pretty good sweeping shot of the Scorpions and I saw none. I guess they were either planning not to use them or only fire them once.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Joey Freshwater posted:

One thing that bugged me about that is There were zero extra arrows around for reload. They did a pretty good sweeping shot of the Scorpions and I saw none. I guess they were either planning not to use them or only fire them once.

I figure they figured if you're shooting at dragons either you won't get a second shot or won't need to.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

In Endgame the scene with Hawkeye waking up in the pond to find the Soul Stone in his hand in front of a giant red eclipse is a straight-up recreation of the climactic scene in Berserk when Griffith (aka the White Hawk) finding the Behelit during The Advent. Griffith had....quite a different view of sacrifice.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I just watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit for the first time since 1990 and it was a goddamned delight. None of these things are subtle but they did go over my head, as a child.

He has a depressed night drinking by himself and reminiscing on old times and the camera passes over an old family photo for a second. His dad was a clown and he and his brother toured with him in the circus. I had thought, at the time, that he was trying and failing to do some kind of impromptu act at the end of the movie, but no. He was a trained clown the whole time. Those were purposeful pratfalls. He sold it by only looking like an oaf.

The logo for cloverfield. That the toon what killed Eddie's brother stole 'a zillion simoleons' and also judge doom bought his position by 'spreading simoleons around toon town, bought some votes'. gently caress. That Judge Doom is always wearing gloves but he wears EXTRA gloves when he interacts with the Dip.

There are so many sex jokes. And all the real world objects that every toon is interacting with at all times are just fantastic. Goddamn. What a delightful movie.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

food court bailiff posted:

In Endgame the scene with Hawkeye waking up in the pond to find the Soul Stone in his hand in front of a giant red eclipse is a straight-up recreation of the climactic scene in Berserk when Griffith (aka the White Hawk) finding the Behelit during The Advent. Griffith had....quite a different view of sacrifice.

Wouldn't that mean the scene from Infinity War starring Thanos and Gamora, is the original copycat? Because that is what they are referencing in Endgame. It even has the same music. It's just that Thanos wakes up and immediately sees the gem, whereas Hawkeye grieves a bit before noticing that he is holding it.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 09:43 on May 7, 2019

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Krinkle posted:

There are so many sex jokes. And all the real world objects that every toon is interacting with at all times are just fantastic. Goddamn. What a delightful movie.

And that was all way before CGI effects were a thing so when you consider the technical effects they had to invent just to get those physical props to move around and then incorporate the footage with hand drawn 2D animation and then shade every single cell to match the real world lighting in the scene it's pretty nuts, but then those crazy fuckers had to go and push the envelope and have scenes with crazy lighting (like a lamp that is swinging around constantly throwing light & shadows all over the place) and it's just goddamn insane. And then on top of that they jumped through a million legal hoops and somehow managed to bring a bunch of studios like Disney and WB to the table and allow Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny and Woody Woodpecker to appear in the same film.

Snowglobe of Doom has a new favorite as of 10:55 on May 7, 2019

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Hence the phrase "bumping the lamp"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

couldcareless posted:

Hence the phrase "bumping the lamp"

Here's a great video about that
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWtt3Tmnij4

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Krinkle posted:

I just watched Who Framed Roger Rabbit for the first time since 1990 and it was a goddamned delight. None of these things are subtle but they did go over my head, as a child.

He has a depressed night drinking by himself and reminiscing on old times and the camera passes over an old family photo for a second. His dad was a clown and he and his brother toured with him in the circus. I had thought, at the time, that he was trying and failing to do some kind of impromptu act at the end of the movie, but no. He was a trained clown the whole time. Those were purposeful pratfalls. He sold it by only looking like an oaf.

The logo for cloverfield. That the toon what killed Eddie's brother stole 'a zillion simoleons' and also judge doom bought his position by 'spreading simoleons around toon town, bought some votes'. gently caress. That Judge Doom is always wearing gloves but he wears EXTRA gloves when he interacts with the Dip.

Hi, I love WFRR more than anyone I know, and love this post. Your first part, about the pratfalls, I never put that together. I just chalked it up to Eddie finally letting loose and being silly and goofy again, which happens to be the key to his success in that moment. He's spent so much time upset, drunk, serious, done with joy for the foreseeable future, and giving in to silliness is what saves him and the others, which is also what Roger has been trying to do the whole time (make him lighten up, I mean).

And yes, the movie is brilliant, but not just from a technical standpoint; the whole idea behind it, the whole thing only works if the audience believes that the real people actually see and are truly dealing with these living cartoons, and I have to hand it to literally everyone who has any sort of interaction with a toon, because they loving nailed it. Not just Bob Hoskins (though his work is astounding, here), but Christopher Lloyd, Joanna Cassidy, Joel Silver as Raoul, the angry director at the beginning, and everyone that I'm forgetting or can't name right now... there's not a bad one in the bunch. poo poo, even the guys at the night club who get pushed around and teased by Jessica make it believable.

On that note, gently caress you, Cool World. What a goddamned waste of time. :argh:

Also, a little note to anyone who's a parent, reading this; the guy who played Angelo is also the voice of Daddy Pig on 'Peppa Pig'.

Rupert Buttermilk has a new favorite as of 16:48 on May 7, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I wish I didn't know about the plan for Doom to have a little briefcase of kangaroos that spell out "You're guilty" though. Because now I'm disappointed they didn't do that.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I watched it in a rabb.it channel last night and was doing live shitposting for the benefit of MST3K'ing it, so when the starting cartoon has the lady leave roger with baby herman and walks out I'm focusing on her thighs, and immediately when the cartoon is cut there is a not-cartoon-human-man walking around on stilts, stilts of thicc cartoon women legs. I lost my poo poo.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Krinkle posted:

I watched it in a rabb.it channel last night and was doing live shitposting for the benefit of MST3K'ing it, so when the starting cartoon has the lady leave roger with baby herman and walks out I'm focusing on her thighs, and immediately when the cartoon is cut there is a not-cartoon-human-man walking around on stilts, stilts of thicc cartoon women legs. I lost my poo poo.

It's such a great blink-and-you'll-miss-it background gag

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVTBx8H4QDg&t=259s

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

So who can tell us the story of how Robert Zemeckis turned like pasteurised-milk at some point, and gave us such gems as Welcome to Marwen and that loving piece of poo poo Mars Needs Moms he produced?

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Inspector Gesicht posted:

So who can tell us the story of how Robert Zemeckis turned like pasteurised-milk at some point, and gave us such gems as Welcome to Marwen and that loving piece of poo poo Mars Needs Moms he produced?

Robert Zemeckis hates actors and goes to great lengths to not deal with them. If he's able to eliminate an actor with a poorly CGI'd replacement, he'll do it.

It's so extreme that in one of his movies he only used one actor for almost the entire film.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I spotted the problem on Wikipedia:
Spouse(s)
Mary Ellen Trainor
(m. 1980; div. 2000)
Leslie Harter (m. 2001)

I swear that's what set off George Lucas as well. Linda Ronstadt broke his heart in the 80s.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Also, a little note to anyone who's a parent, reading this; the guy who played Angelo is also the voice of Daddy Pig on 'Peppa Pig'.

I have young nieces and holy poo poo. Daddy Pig is the best, this is wonderful information.

e: holy poo poo it's the Dungeon Keeper guy! My life is complete

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
It's not really a 'subtle movie moment', but one of my favorite facts about Who Framed Roger Rabbit is that to appease both companies, Disney and Looney Tunes characters needed to be on-screen for the exact same amount of time, down to the second. I've always thought that was an impressive feat of planning to pull off.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cleretic posted:

It's not really a 'subtle movie moment', but one of my favorite facts about Who Framed Roger Rabbit is that to appease both companies, Disney and Looney Tunes characters needed to be on-screen for the exact same amount of time, down to the second. I've always thought that was an impressive feat of planning to pull off.

I believe that they (Bugs and Mickey) had to deliver the exact same number of words, as well.

Even with that agreement, that poo poo would never fly today, and I'm sad about that.

Fuckin film is lightning in a bottle, holy poo poo.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

HopperUK posted:

I have young nieces and holy poo poo. Daddy Pig is the best, this is wonderful information.

"Uhhh...why yes, Mr Wolf. I've seen a rabbit. Oh dear."

Edit: unintentional double post. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
One thing I thought was kinda cool in Endgame is there's a decent chance the thing that kicked Howard Stark and Hank Pym's feud (about Stark always wanting to get his hands on Pym's tech) into high gear was Cap stealing his Pym particles when they went back to the 70s.

Probably not true but it's a neat thought and fits the overall feel as well.