Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Taciturn Tactician posted:

I agree. Last Train Home is more melancholy than tragic. It worked great when it was Polnareff accepting his fate and dying against a stand that didn't seem unbeatable, just powerful, that won because Polnareff was injured early on. He had a lead up to consider everything and just was too beaten and broken to save himself, and accepted it and was at peace. It fits the tone of "goodbye, this is the end of me." What it doesn't fit is the current situation, where an unstoppable powerhouse that seems completely impossible to defeat goes from being trapped to killing Kakyouin in literally zero seconds, and then throws a knife into Joseph's neck, taking out half the cast instantly and only seeming MORE powerful after his secret is revealed. These aren't slow ponderous deaths where the feeling is like "well we'll win in the end but I won't see it, I guess this is how it has to be" it's "oh poo poo oh poo poo he's suddenly dead and we're screwed." Melancholy REALLY doesn't fit the mood right now, and it definitely didn't through most of Egypt.

Meanwhile Holy Diver would work perfectly. :colbert:

:regd08:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Last Train owns.

I like OPs that feel like the show's way of saying "So long for now." That said, it probably fits better if you've already read the manga, since every time it crops up you know you're getting closer...to Dio.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Waffleman_ posted:

Hm, yes, the mere presence of more gore simply makes the OVA better.

What the hell, man, grow up.

"the OVA did one thing better that 80s and 90s OVAs pretty much always did well"

"SHUT UP YOU CHILD"

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Too bad Iggy is dead, we'll never get to see him fart on Dio. That right there would have been a classic Jojo moment.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

SPICE MUST FLOW posted:

Too bad Iggy is dead, we'll never get to see him fart on Dio. That right there would have been a classic Jojo moment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfsrhvyO0b8

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

E: Nevermind

Mythical Moderate
Jul 5, 2002

My heart and actions are utterly unclouded. They are all those of 'Justice'.

Its beautiful. I really should buy the DLC.

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

oh my god i glanced at the related videos and i saw a name i didn't recognize this series is ruined for me.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

OH MY GOD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFZyRVd7rmg

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

LORD OF BUTT posted:

"the OVA did one thing better that 80s and 90s OVAs pretty much always did well"

"SHUT UP YOU CHILD"

That's what you got out of that comment?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

OH  MY  GOD!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I mean, all the dude going to bat for the OVA said was that he preferred how it handled the violence. Didn't speak to its quality otherwise, unless I misread it.

And remembering the OVA, I'm kinda with him- I appreciate and prefer David sticking to the manga, but those aren't bad alternate takes on the scenes and they're executed pretty well.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Yes? Waffleman sarcastically misrepresents what the guy said about the differences between the OVA and the current anime, then tells him to grow up. The implication made is that preferring one method of depicting violence is juvenile.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Edit: Nope, not getting drawn back into this.

For actual content, Son of a bitch.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jun 8, 2015

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I'm all caught up and I don't want this to end. Do we know how many episodes are left?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Housh posted:

I'm all caught up and I don't want this to end. Do we know how many episodes are left?

2 episodes, I think

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Housh posted:

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Housh posted:

Two

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

For actual content, Son of a bitch.

Kuvo posted:

David is the best

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Forgive me, but is that really so remarkable? I'm assuming those shots are also in the manga, so why wouldn't the anime and game have them?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Forgive me, but is that really so remarkable? I'm assuming those shots are also in the manga, so why wouldn't the anime and game have them?

Yeah they're in the manga. I have to imagine most people in the west were familiar first with the game so they associate those shots with the game.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
On the bright side, if they continue adapting the manga past pt. 3, they have material for 200+ more episodes.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Once this season is over, I would really appreciate if someone could put together some gifs of all of the references to this fight in the opening.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Because most of the time manga -> anime transitions aren't done with nearly the care David is putting into this one, and stuff like that doesn't often actually make it in intact? Including them is just a little thing, but it should tell you something that people are going ape over it. The little things are not getting ignored.

Seriously, David Productions' JoJo is a clinic on how you make an anime from a manga.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Alright, that makes sense to me.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

It's kind of a shame that we spent so much time getting to Dio, and now there's only two episodes left.

I mean don't get me wrong, the quality of Dio here is great. I just wish there had been more of him.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It's kind of a shame that we spent so much time getting to Dio, and now there's only two episodes left.

I mean don't get me wrong, the quality of Dio here is great. I just wish there had been more of him.

4 episodes of DIO is pretty good

and who knows we might get more dio in the future

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

David's next project is a retelling of the entire series, 48 episodes long, from DIO's POV.

I want to believe....

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

El Hefe posted:

4 episodes of DIO is pretty good

and who knows we might get more dio in the future

Ooh, tough call. Either we get more DIO, or JoKu gets his righteous murderin' on.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Dio actually kills all the crusaders. All future parts are about Dio.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

DioDio's Bizarre Adventure

Exercu
Dec 7, 2009

EAT WELL, SLEEP WELL, SHIT WELL! THERE'S YOUR ANSWER!!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

we don't have enough stardust crusaders for more episodes.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I was looking up JoJo action figures and I think I spoiled something for myself. :(

Polnareff in Part V form...I guess he survives.

Damnit, the Vanilla Ice/Cream figure is so expensive. How come there isn't a lot of JoJo merch besides figurines? I kind of want a nice Stardust Crusaders poster but I might settle for a Jotaro pointing figurine. :grin:

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Exercu posted:

we don't have enough stardust crusaders for more episodes.

To be fair from what I've gathered from the thread just flat out forgetting they're dead and trucking on would be entirely within the realms of possibility for Araki.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Housh posted:

I was looking up JoJo action figures

It's definitely a gamble doing that. I can understand wanting to have JJBA paraphernalia, but those Medicos commercials way that aired way back in 2012 were toeing the line with spoilers as it was.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

the wildest rear end posted:

Dio actually kills all the crusaders. All future parts are about Dio.

This I'd actually where the time line splits into 'Jotaro succeds' and 'Jotaro fails'.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Don't forget when The World sends Jotaro back 7 years ago to warn Joseph about DIO. That one leads into Majora's Mask.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Sakurazuka posted:

This I'd actually where the time line splits into 'Jotaro succeds' and 'Jotaro fails'.

And then there's a third timeline where Dio escapes from the Sacred Realm and since Jotaro has already went back to his own timeline he conquers the world.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012

Kaislioc posted:

To be fair from what I've gathered from the thread just flat out forgetting they're dead and trucking on would be entirely within the realms of possibility for Araki.

Those weren't their spirits floating away, Iggy is just really good at shaping his fart clouds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Housh posted:

I was looking up JoJo action figures and I think I spoiled something for myself. :(
If you want to avoid spoilers, do not look up merchandise, don't visit /a/, and don't go on the Jojo wiki. This series has been around for nearly thirty years, and many people have been following it for a long rear end time. What's brand new to you is old news to them.

• Locked thread