Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I think it's a great idea, especially if you're booking for a group which is always a general nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I could see that being a pretty useful thing for a subset of golfers who play regularly and like to bounce around to different courses. GolfNow, Teeoff, etc. can somewhat do the same thing but the number of courses that are listed on those really varies depending on where you are.

I'm really curious why a course in MN is named Hiawatha though.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

As the guy who also is always the one hunting for the tee time, texting the group if the time I found is ok, losing that time waiting for a response etc etc, yes that’s very cool.

I’ve thought about trying to do something similar with Power Automate (we are switching from Automation Anywhere at work) as a side project to get better with it but yours looks much more streamlined than what I would probably come up with.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
If anyone sees Koepka’s Ryder Cup Nike shoes for sale anywhere give a shout. Closest I’ve seen is:

https://www.goat.com/sneakers/air-z...DxoCiXkQAvD_BwE

wicked duck
Sep 2, 2004

Summit posted:

So I've been working on a project that I want to run by you guys.

The quick background is I've always been the guy in my group who finds the tee times, sends out the times to everyone, gets people to commit, and finally books the round. I do this every week. I was getting really frustrated with how many different courses I'd have to check before I could finally find a few open tee times after work. Particularly in the past 2 years with COVID it's gotten ridiculous to where I'm checking 10 courses for tee times before I find a few. At first I figured somebody must have solved this in some way but nope, there's only stuff like GolfNow and they don't have any of the courses my group plays. Maybe that's unique to my area but I suspect it's not.

I'm a programmer and I have some background in automation so I am thinking okay I could definitely write a bot to do this and I came up with something that's been extremely useful to me personally.

Here's a picture of the output for the prototype:

(if you care to see it in action I've got it hosted at teewatch.com)

You can basically see the current state of all the course tee sheets in your area. I don't have any special deals with these places so I just link to their regular booking site.

I'm trying to decide if this is actually something that's useful to a larger amount of people or if most people just book at the same place every week to where a comparison site is not all that useful. I figure this crew will give me some honest feedback about whether I should keep plugging away at this and try to make something out of it or just leave it as a toy project I toss on a resume and move on.

This is cool and would definitely be helpful.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

gently caress man what a fun day of golf. I'm sure it's partly because this is only every couple of years but if PGA tour events had 1/50th this tension and drama it'd be such a better product. More match play please.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
Honestly surprised there isnt a big time match play tournament major.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Jovial Cow posted:

If anyone sees Koepka’s Ryder Cup Nike shoes for sale anywhere give a shout. Closest I’ve seen is:

https://www.goat.com/sneakers/air-z...DxoCiXkQAvD_BwE

Looks like the pair he’s wearing is a player exclusive and the ones you linked are the general release colorway.

Koepka’s are a lot cleaner looking.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
What a gorgeous cold crisp golf day. drat.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

BonoMan posted:

What a gorgeous cold crisp golf day. drat.

Went to go grab the USA Beanie off of the PGA store and nope, not there.

Ardemia
Jan 2, 2004

IT IS MY RIGHT TO GET BEHIND THE WHEEL WHEN I'VE PUT BACK SIX SHIRLEY TEMPLES OK

:patriot:

Summit posted:

So I've been working on a project that I want to run by you guys.

The quick background is I've always been the guy in my group who finds the tee times, sends out the times to everyone, gets people to commit, and finally books the round. I do this every week. I was getting really frustrated with how many different courses I'd have to check before I could finally find a few open tee times after work. Particularly in the past 2 years with COVID it's gotten ridiculous to where I'm checking 10 courses for tee times before I find a few. At first I figured somebody must have solved this in some way but nope, there's only stuff like GolfNow and they don't have any of the courses my group plays. Maybe that's unique to my area but I suspect it's not.

I'm a programmer and I have some background in automation so I am thinking okay I could definitely write a bot to do this and I came up with something that's been extremely useful to me personally.

Here's a picture of the output for the prototype:

(if you care to see it in action I've got it hosted at teewatch.com)

You can basically see the current state of all the course tee sheets in your area. I don't have any special deals with these places so I just link to their regular booking site.

I'm trying to decide if this is actually something that's useful to a larger amount of people or if most people just book at the same place every week to where a comparison site is not all that useful. I figure this crew will give me some honest feedback about whether I should keep plugging away at this and try to make something out of it or just leave it as a toy project I toss on a resume and move on.

I could definitely use this for my area (western NC). Even though I am very much noob ive still played on like three different courses from having to go wherever the designated tee timer gets something for the group. Anything to make it more accessible :)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

incredible shot from paul casey just now. 107 yards over a hill onto the green and in

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Westwood has to be the worst putter in professional golf, I have zero confidence in him. He looks so timid over the ball. If it’s not a straight putt forget it.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

e; nm.

Anno
May 10, 2017

If it all goes down hill from here this is the reason.

https://twitter.com/KylePorterCBS/status/1441813560644964354

Anno fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 25, 2021

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Anno posted:

ryder cup rules

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat

Anno posted:

What, like they might get too good at golf?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
This course, with this wind, :stare:

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good
Holy poo poo how did that Speith putt not drop.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Played in a scramble today. 6:10 minute round.

The rules up front were one drive per player per nine. The rules when we arrived were changed to no need for any such thing, so no limits. Good thing. We used fifteen of my drives. 17 of my approach shots. We finished -3, and I think I would have been no more than 3 over par playing alone. Two of the golfers had been playing for three months and the other was probably a 25 handicap.

The group we were behind claimed to one of the volunteers on the 16th tee that they were 15 under. We watched them on every green. They were probably 8 under. If they missed birdie putts, they scooped and walked off without holing their par putts.

Anno
May 10, 2017

The degree to which Rahm is the best player in the world right now is nuts. I don't think I've seen someone carry an entire Ryder Cup so hard before.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Anno posted:

The degree to which Rahm is the best player in the world right now is nuts. I don't think I've seen someone carry an entire Ryder Cup so hard before.

This has been a great Ryder cup, even if it's not close right now. Some great golf.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

I too am enjoying the Cup and watching Rahm be unreal but I'm also enjoying a bachelor weekend while my wife is away and so far have played 50 holes of mostly bad golf and hit about 200 balls in our club's simulator.

I posted earlier about considering some more forgiving irons and had a bit of a revelation that's made me think I really should get a club fitting done and get some new irons...

I was about 100 shots into my simulator session (did a lesson for about 60 shots but the pro let me stay and practice) and I spotted a bag of Taylormades in the room. Not mine but I got snoopy and took a look... some older Burners with regular flex steel shafts (I have stiff shafts on mine). According to the simulator my driver clubhead speed is ~105mph so in theory I should be hitting stiff shafts I think but hoooooly poo poo these clubs...

In my first 100 shots I was carrying my 7 iron anywhere from 145 to 160 yards with a little bit of spray left and right... I tried the Taylormade 6 iron for about 10-15 swings... 187 yards dead straight, 187 yards dead straight, 186 yards dead straight, ... repeat. I think that's what golf is supposed to feel like.

I'm thinking a fitting would be good even just for shaft selection. I obviously would benefit BIG TIME from some more forgiving irons as I'm essentially playing with blades.

Today I hit some really nice iron shots at least. Managed a birdie in the dark and my putter is on fiiiire lately since I started practicing it ~2 hours per week. Finally excited about golf again after feeling what a difference some more amateur level irons could help me accomplish

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

I think Ima have to put some popcorn on for Sergio/Bryson.

e: BRB, hooking a reactor up to my microwave.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Sep 26, 2021

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Can't say I'm a fan of the US players having sweaters with their names on the back of them. Seems tacky.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Dechambeau is an idiot.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

torgeaux posted:

Dechambeau is an idiot.

Honestly wouldn’t be mad if Sergio came back to beat him lol

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

mattfl posted:

Honestly wouldn’t be mad if Sergio came back to beat him lol

Ha I think it's gonna end up a tie

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Scheffler 2-0 against Rahm in match play this year, pretty solid. US looks to have a pretty strong roster for the next few years which is awesome.

I had scrambles yesterday and today and ended up turning a profit which is always sweet. All my leagues are done now and hopefully we’ve got a month and a half of crisp Fall golf until the season ends where I can actually practice and walk a lot of rounds. This year I played in too many leagues and tournaments and I miss having evenings where I’d just go play by myself and practice whatever I feel like.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Shrapnig posted:

Can't say I'm a fan of the US players having sweaters with their names on the back of them. Seems tacky.
It's especially awkward when the wives and girlfriends wear sweaters with their partner's name.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Suprfli6 posted:

Scheffler 2-0 against Rahm in match play this year, pretty solid. US looks to have a pretty strong roster for the next few years which is awesome.
They actually played like a team for a change. This may be heresy, but I wonder how much of it is due to Tiger and Phil not being there.

Or maybe it's Stricker knowing who to pick.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

What a fun Ryder Cup. I'm not a USA! USA! guy but you better believe I'm rooting hard for the home guys once every two years.

Would have loved to see a reluctant grudge pairing of Brooks/Bryson though in alt shot. Would have either squashed the dumb rivalry or resulted in some kind of poolhall 4iron brawl on live television and embarrassed the US team for the rest of time, which in retrospect is why Stricker was chosen as captain and not me.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

Stricker claimed that Brooks and Bryson were open to playing together which I think is probably a bit of a stretch but idk.

Honestly at this point I hope Spieth doesn't get a spot on the next team. He's a phenomenal player especially with his recent comeback, but his Presidents/Ryder Cup records are abysmal.

Anno
May 10, 2017

Only in singles, I think. His groups records are quite good IIRC, and he and Justin played well in their two matches against Rahm/Sergio even if they didn’t win.

Willzilla
Aug 16, 2006

Rawr

Aloha from Wailea Gold. Vacation golf is dope

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Man if more tournaments were like the Ryder cup I bet watching golf wouldn’t otherwise be mostly dogshit. What a fun couple days.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Presto posted:

They actually played like a team for a change. This may be heresy, but I wonder how much of it is due to Tiger and Phil not being there.

Or maybe it's Stricker knowing who to pick.

My friend was saying how this team was boring, and not exciting. I completely disagreed with him. I thought the biggest positive factor for the US this year was no Tiger or Phil.

Team was young, hungry and all very good match players.

Thought it was a great Ryder Cup. Even as one sided as it was, lots of great golf. Rahm is amazing to watch and guys like Sergio just come alive for this. I love this event so much.

Rome in 2 years is going to be great.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug

Willzilla posted:

Aloha from Wailea Gold. Vacation golf is dope

I got married there. Maui golf is the chillest poo poo on earth.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I'm on the course, beautiful day. Can't say this anywhere else, so let me say it here. If you're playing a tee box up and waiting for us to hit, please have a club selected when it's your turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

You know how a bunch of different social media accounts were running contests for the Ryder Cup Team USA/Team Europe Sim2 Max branded drivers this past week? Well, I won one.

The problem is, if I had my choice of driver right now, it would be TSi3, G425 LST, and Sim2 (regular), in that order. I'm sure the Max would perform fine, but it definitely wouldn't be my choice. Do I try to sell it on Ebay? It appears to be head only and I'm Titleist through the bag, so I wouldn't even have a shaft to test it with. :smith: