Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

monkeu posted:

But were they sensitive to their opponents feelings?! :emo:

You're embarrassing yourself now mate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drugs
Jul 16, 2010

I don't like people who take drugs. Customs agents, for example - Albert Einstein
i doesn't seem like new zealand being a better country than australia, filled with a better calibre of person, should be in dispute

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

serious gaylord posted:

You're embarrassing yourself now mate.

Like an opening batsmen being clean bowled by Glenn Maxwell on 15 runs? :laugh: :bravo:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
Glenn Maxwell is grouse at cricket mate

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Dave Warner, literal manchild, in charge of a cricket team. God bless the IPL.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

monkeu posted:

Like an opening batsmen being clean bowled by Glenn Maxwell on 15 runs? :laugh: :bravo:

Please stop doing this. Please

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

monkeu posted:

Maxwell didn't clean bowl Ali or Ian Bell :confused:

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
The charm of this thread used to be the detached nature of cricket fans. Now it's just unironic antipodeans literally cheering on their teams.

No one gives a poo poo who you support. Just make pithy witticisms or go back to where you came from.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
I enjoy Australia winning, but some of my most enjoyable posting is when Australia are doing terrible.

Footy's back so hopefully this thread will soon resume normal service.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Doctor Cave posted:

I enjoy Australia winning, but some of my most enjoyable posting is when Australia are doing terrible.

Footy's back so hopefully this thread will soon resume normal service.

It is truly a great time to be English.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Noxin of Shame posted:

To all the Australians who became Blackcap supporters and now feel weird about it and are looking for some way to end this stormy affair, I have a video for you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gPBsccmbsM

That guy reminds me of nathan barnatt and far from being off putting actually makes me want to go smash one well in the nets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE-EyKodD60

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
One day cricket is poo poo, the winners are kings of poo poo. Let's get back to discussing the most important issue facing world cricket today: will KP make it back to the England test side?!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm hoping Trott holds it together until game two of the Ashes and then withdraws again. In a panic they recall KP who scores a total of ~30 runs in 6 innings and then insults the Queen.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Lungboy posted:

One day cricket is poo poo, the winners are kings of poo poo. Let's get back to discussing the most important issue facing world cricket today: will KP make it back to the England test side?!

Hes coming back for an almighty biff in the ashes. Its coming home lads.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

goatface posted:

I'm hoping Trott holds it together until game two of the Ashes and then withdraws again. In a panic they recall KP who scores a total of ~30 runs in 6 innings and then insults the Queen.

Id like him to goosestep out while doing the hitler salute and then ram his bat up Alistair cooks arse.

Obviously thats fairly unlikely to happen, I doubt cook will ever still be in when the 3rd wicket goes down.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

serious gaylord posted:

Id like him to goosestep out while doing the hitler salute and then ram his bat up Alistair cooks arse.

Obviously thats fairly unlikely to happen, I doubt cook will ever still be in when the 3rd wicket goes down.

Nice.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you

RideTheSpiral posted:

go back to where you came from.

You'd fit right in down here mate.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Depends if the person he was directing it to is white or not

Centusin
Aug 5, 2009
I hope this Mark Wood guy plays in the Ashes.

quote:

"There are times when it gets boring in the field, so I bring out the imaginary horse and try to joust my team-mates," Wood told the Guardian, with a straight face. "I don't know how the England boys will take it, but I'll have a go. I like to have a trot and feed him apples – he loves Granny Smiths. "Sometimes it's just the pick-me-up the lads need. "The horse will probably come with me to the Caribbean if he gets through immigration. "If they don't like it then I can just tie him up and leave him somewhere."

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:
^^^That guy owns

The whole 'bring back KP' sideshow this ashes is going to be glorious.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Well lets face it, it will take a minor miracle for England to avoid a complete and utter spanking. We cant bat, our two best bowlers have forgotten how to play and our fielding is utterly atrocious.

This means not only will KP come back, but Moores and Cook will get the sacked at some point. I highly expect KP will be captain by the end of the ashes.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

serious gaylord posted:

Well lets face it, it will take a minor miracle for England to avoid a complete and utter spanking. We cant bat, our two best bowlers have forgotten how to play and our fielding is utterly atrocious.

This means not only will KP come back, but Moores and Cook will get the sacked at some point. I highly expect KP will be captain by the end of the ashes.

I love English cricket.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Captain/sole selector.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
Lmao our three captains are Eoin Morgan, Stuart Broad, and Alistair Cook.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

RideTheSpiral posted:

Lmao our three captains are Eoin Morgan, Stuart Broad, and Alistair Cook.

So respectively foreign, a posh prick, and shithouse. Makes sense to combine all three with KP

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

BrigadierSensible posted:

So respectively foreign, a posh prick, and shithouse. Makes sense to combine all three with KP

There is literally nothing posh about KP. Therefore he has no place in our team.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

He lives in Chelsea

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Lionel Richie posted:

He lives in Chelsea

You can't buy posh.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
loving nouveaus are destroying our cricket.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He married a reality TV star.

Well, not reality TV, whatever the proper term is for TV talent show people.

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

I know Pietersen spent much of his early life running around on the plains of Africa (copyright Matthew Hayden) but he's just as posh as all the other boarding school bellends. And Jessica is a lovely woman and a fine singer.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Lionel Richie posted:

I know Pietersen spent much of his early life running around on the plains of Africa (copyright Matthew Hayden) but he's just as posh as all the other boarding school bellends. And Jessica is a lovely woman and a fine singer.

Northerner spotted.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

serious gaylord posted:

Reminder that Australia can't bat in England. It'll be interesting to see if Steve Smith's wander across the stumps and clock it through the on side technique works over there.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
England will dish up 5 flat wickets. The swing and the hard handed nature of Australian batting will of course present a challenge. Smith at three if he can negate the swing with his technique will be handy because he plays with quite soft hands for an Australian and uses his wrists more in playing shots. His problem will be away movement late playing across the line to the on side.

I feel much better with Smith there than Watson who plonks his leg down the wicket which can make him vulnerable to both away and in swing.

I think England might surprise us but I fancy our chances to draw if not win the series as long as we catch well and all that. England will lift at home against Australia.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete
All depends on the first test IMO, if we win that we'll retain the Ashes. If not I think the poms will do us

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

England will not win a test.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Shmoses posted:

All depends on the first test IMO, if we win that we'll retain the Ashes. If not I think the poms will do us

The first test sets the tone.. The gabba has played a role in Australia being quite good.

Remember when Australia couldn't bowl out the poms at Cardiff 5 years ago. That was where we lost the ashes.

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.
Australia will win if they don't pick Shaun Marsh, but the recent Ashes series in England have been cripple fights, with the outcome determined by who has their comedy collapse at the least worst time.

Rogers, Warner, Smith, Clarke, Voges, Watson, Haddin, Johnson, Harris, Starc, Ahmed is a pretty solid side. I hate myself for picking Watson, but the alternative is Mitchell Marsh, and the bowling needs some backup with Johnson and Harris needing to bowl shorter spells. They'll probably keep picking Lyon, which I'm fine with, but I'd like to see what Ahmed can do on the final day.

EMC
Aug 17, 2004

Burn Down Canberra posted:

The first test sets the tone..

First test? Try the first ball

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7Y6T44tzIc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

England are terrible in the first test at home, which will probably set the tone appropriately.

Moores needs to go immediately. Downton maybe can stay for the summer.