Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Lord Krangdar posted:

That's the running joke of the whole movie though. Each one fails at their specific role; the mapper gets lost, the biologist is killed by the first life-form they discover, the pilot crashes the ship, and so on.

To be fair the pilot intentionally crashes the ship as a heroic act, it's not like he crashed it because he was incompetent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Xenomrph posted:

To be fair the pilot intentionally crashes the ship as a heroic act, it's not like he crashed it because he was incompetent.

No, it's not all incompetence. David also intentionally sabotages his own role in the mission. Regardless, its a pattern throughout the film.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Fifeld can't see the map, only the Prometheus can. Which is dumb but there you go.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Prometheus a drama movie, has a running joke.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

Prometheus a drama movie, has a running joke.

It is not a drama movie. There's a lot of Grand Guignol, camp, and farce mixed in.

Regardless, The Leftovers television series ran by the same writer was a drama but the second and third seasons were full of humor.

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 8, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This chocolate, has peanut butter in it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

s.i.r.e. posted:

Forget about the helmets, the dumb part of Prometheus at that part in the film is that the two idiots get scared like stupid children and end up getting lost. The guy with the orbs that map labyrinth can't find his way out of said structure, gently caress me that's stupid. Then they play with alien organisms that have never been seen before to top it off.

A recurring weird theme in these criticisms is the apparent belief that having a profession grants you superhuman capabilities. If you are a zookeeper, it is impossible to be mauled by a tiger. If you are an explorer, you are omniscient - how else would Marco Polo know that China wasn't teeming with radioactive blood-gibbons?

On the flipside, there's this belief that the only way to ever be safe is to insulate yourself inside a permanent bubble and conduct all interactions via internet. The easy-joke conclusion is that people need to get a fuckin job.

People also have these really weird ideas about exploring alien planets, like 'you need a helmet to protect against zombies!' Well, what if the otherwise-harmless alien lichen feeds on the glass of the helmets and, in the process, emits a deadly neurotoxic gas? What if the bulky helmets are misinterpreted as a threat display, by flocks of alien hyper-crows? There is only so much that you can prepare for, and you're only fixated on preparing for zombies because you're that guy in the horror movie who's watched too many horror movies.

It's also worth repeating that the marines in aliens go up against the aliens wearing rudimentary body armour and short-sleeved shirts.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jul 9, 2017

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If Prometheus was a joke it wasn't very funny.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Prometheus is hilarious.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

A recurring weird theme in these criticisms is the apparent belief that having a profession grants you superhuman capabilities. If you are a zookeeper, it is impossible to be mauled by a tiger. If you are an explorer, you are omniscient - how else would Marco Polo know that China wasn't teeming with radioactive blood-gibbons?

And at the same time this belief contradicts itself, because film-making is also a profession.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm not a biologist let alone a xenobiologist but my uneducated rear end knows that I probably shouldn't gently caress around with an alien creature that is clearly displaying signs of aggression

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I'm not a biologist let alone a xenobiologist but my uneducated rear end knows that I probably shouldn't gently caress around with an alien creature that is clearly displaying signs of aggression

On one hand we're told the characters in Covenant are too stupid for not wearing space-suits to protect them on an alien planet. But then on the other hand Millburn is supposedly too stupid for assuming his space-suit (which we see at another point in the film can withstand a storm of flying glass shards) can protect him from a tiny alien worm.

So should they believe their space-suits are necessary and capable to protect them, or not?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Lord Krangdar posted:

It is not a drama movie.

What is it then?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Lord Krangdar posted:

On one hand we're told the characters in Covenant are too stupid for not wearing space-suits to protect them on an alien planet. But then on the other hand Millburn is supposedly too stupid for assuming his space-suit (which we see at another point in the film can withstand a storm of flying glass shards) can protect him from a tiny alien worm.

So should they believe their space-suits are necessary and capable to protect them, or not?

Perhaps some sort of compromise could've been made
Wearing the protective space suit
And not loving around with lifeforms they still didn't quite comprehend

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lord Krangdar posted:

And at the same time this belief contradicts itself, because film-making is also a profession.

It's also akin to Zizek's observation that "it’s much easier to imagine the end of all life on earth than a much more modest radical change in capitalism".

It's much easier to devise tactics for combatting the zombiemorph outbreak than it is to imagine basic labor laws protecting the colonists. It's easier to permanently attach a helmet to your face than it is to attempt a better utopia than David's.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Nothing I like to see more in characterization than compromise.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Tenzarin posted:

What is it then?

I thought of it as an adventure movie.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

What is it then?

Well I already told you (in the same reply that you partially quoted). First of all, the drama genre can and does include humor. But Prometheus is foremost a campy satire dressed in sci-fi and horror clothing. I honestly don't get where you got the drama idea, even if you don't see the humor.

Calaveron posted:

Sure. But these movies are not about the optimal way to carry out a space mission. The characters do make stupid decisions, but their stupidity is rooted in thought processes that are flawed in ways we can examine and understand (rather than dismissing as Just Bad). They do not know they are horror movie characters.

It's also akin to Zizek's observation that "it’s much easier to imagine the end of all life on earth than a much more modest radical change in capitalism".

Have you watched The Leftovers, SMG?

Lord Krangdar fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 9, 2017

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 206 days!

Calaveron posted:

Sounds pretty implausible; Scott should have went with remote footage from a rover vehicle.

I think it's really important to hold these films to standards of "realism" that apply to literally no other science fiction ever, because,

Hodgepodge fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jul 9, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Only thing wrong with Covenant is not enough James Franco.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Looking forward to the arguments that Franco should've been wearing flame retardant PJs.

s.i.r.e. posted:

Forget about the helmets, the dumb part of Prometheus at that part in the film is that the two idiots get scared like stupid children and end up getting lost. The guy with the orbs that map labyrinth can't find his way out of said structure, gently caress me that's stupid. Then they play with alien organisms that have never been seen before to top it off.

They're two teens sneaking off into the woods to get high and have sex.

Prometheus is hilarious.

David getting all "Oh, it's far too terrible." over Shaw's ultrasound is so goddamn funny.
Dude's on a Vincent Price kick.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why does the sleeping pod erupt into flames anyway? It was filled with flammable gases or like flammable gases leaked in?

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

wyoming posted:

David getting all "Oh, it's far too terrible." over Shaw's ultrasound is so goddamn funny.
Dude's on a Vincent Price kick.

"I didn't think you had it in you."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Concept:

A director's cut of Martian where, the moment his suit is compromised, Matt Damon is instantly overtaken by black gooblins & the movie ends.

Ditto for Gravity, Arrival, & literally every movie that features the removal of a helmet at some point.

Lord Krangdar posted:

Have you watched The Leftovers, SMG?

'Fraid not.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
The professionalism argument is dumb when you consider it's not a crack crew at all, but rather a bunch of dupes. The stated mission in Prometheus is not the real one, that's literally the plot.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Why didn't they wear space suits in the sleeping pod?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

sean10mm posted:

The professionalism argument is dumb when you consider it's not a crack crew at all, but rather a bunch of dupes. The stated mission in Prometheus is not the real one, that's literally the plot.
For what it's worth, the Weyland Yutani Report expands on this by pointing out that Vickers intentionally hired the dumbest motherfuckers she could find, as a means of sabotaging her father's mission.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

s.i.r.e. posted:

I've been working in or adjacent to mapping, survey, cartography, and GIS for around a decade now and this is about as unrealistic as the characters all breathing and having toes

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

You just reminded me of that because, in addition to also being a Damon Lindelof project, the final season is about the main characters, and some background characters, all convincing themselves that the world is ending imminently and then being disappointed when that turns out to just be a mass delusion.

Xenomrph posted:

For what it's worth, the Weyland Yutani Report expands on this by pointing out that Vickers intentionally hired the dumbest motherfuckers she could find, as a means of sabotaging her father's mission.

This is pretty much implied by the movie, too.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Xenomrph posted:

Someone I think mentioned it in this thread but was one of the things Scott had to work within a very hard running time for both movies? There's some moments like the Last Supper thing from Covenant and the part where Millburn actually does capture one of those larger worms successfully while Fifeld is bumbling around like a chump (which is why he's so confident in the scene we did get) that I honestly can't believe weren't in the final movie. Prometheus also had a scene on earth where folks meet with Vickers or Weyland or whatever and set stuff up.

I like both movies a lot myself but I'm assuming Scott is generally happy with them since the home versions don't have any additional stuff, and with how Prometheus made some good $$$ for an Alien movie it's not like Fox would have said no if he wanted to do a director's cut thing.

The fake TED Talk was fun and not like required viewing or whatever but I'm not sure what I think about Covenant having some stuff like the Last Supper released where it's well made and actually adds to the move's characters but not having it just be in the movie itself. Not even just because one of Franco's few final lines is "I'm burning up." :aaaaa: Like I feel like with both movies there's some good bits in those scenes that could have made it into the final films to their benefit.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Xenomrph posted:

You don't even need the exposition - the crews that explored the New World for Europeans were all fuckups, idiots, and sociopaths,because who else would agree to do it? If you have a stable job, social ties, and talent you don't agree to a multi year voyage with about 4000 potential ways to get yourself killed

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Tenzarin posted:

Why does the sleeping pod erupt into flames anyway? It was filled with flammable gases or like flammable gases leaked in?

Oxygen is pretty flammable.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
In literally every Alien franchise movie, the survivor characters come into close contact with the aliens while not wearing a helmet, and still make it to the end of the film.

Multiple characters die while wearing helmets, and no characters are ever successfully protected by a helmet at any point.

The same is true with the cryo-pods.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

DeimosRising posted:

You don't even need the exposition - the crews that explored the New World for Europeans were all fuckups, idiots, and sociopaths,because who else would agree to do it? If you have a stable job, social ties, and talent you don't agree to a multi year voyage with about 4000 potential ways to get yourself killed

Yeah but in most of the US if you don't actually learn any history of that part of the world past high school literally all you learn is that Cortez had 400 people with firearms and heavy armor and that let them obliterate a massive empire because western technology hell yeah. So that's an insight I can see going over people's heads through no fault of their own.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Fire is a big danger in space travel in real life.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I always liked the Interstellar version where they're like sealed into a bag that's submerged in water and the pod is very sarcophagus-like.

The only justification for them having helmets would be if they were going to have an awesome scene like when those worms completely own Fifeld and Millburn and there's that shot of the acid splashing onto Fifeld's helmet and it the glass collapsing and melting into his face. But Covenant had some fun gore already so no need.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Tenzarin posted:

Only thing wrong with Covenant is not enough James Franco.

drat straight

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Neo Rasa posted:

I always liked the Interstellar version where they're like sealed into a bag that's submerged in water and the pod is very sarcophagus-like.

I rewatched Interstellar the other night and, for a doofy, slobbery take on 2001, it nails some pretty horrifying space stuff. The time difference and giant waves on that planet always freaked me out but this time I was creeped out by Mann possibly being asleep in a plastic bag forever.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Neo Rasa posted:

Yeah but in most of the US if you don't actually learn any history of that part of the world past high school literally all you learn is that Cortez had 400 people with firearms and heavy armor and that let them obliterate a massive empire because western technology hell yeah. So that's an insight I can see going over people's heads through no fault of their own.

Speaking as an idiot American, I can attest to this being true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Whole lotta poo poo talking of Exorcist II and that just cannot stand.

It's nowhere near as scary or technically well crafted as the first but it makes up for it with sheer poetry. In other words it is a John Boorman film.