Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Zudgemud posted:

This sounds much less like the protesters are a lethal threat and much more like the policemen will get purged Stalin style if they don't shoot the protesters.

Yes, that's exactly what they are being fed. Lukashenko said as much to other officials, 'if the mob win, they are going to tear you apart'. Lukashenko can't really 'purge' too many people right now, because there's simply not enough people willing to work for him. He has to keep the people he has loyal at all costs.

Meanwhile, the worst crime during latest protests was breaking a window of a police station. Outside of protests, though, there are some more drastic developments. There were some burned down country houses and cars that belonged to police officers. And more recently, someone started to gently caress with railroad tracks, putting wire on rails to confuse sensors, which can cause problems with scheduling railroad traffic. Of course, somehow, the people involved in these 'terrorist attacks' are never caught, while regular protesters are arrested by the hundred.

I want to make it clear that there isn't much to suggest that it's all a false flag. However, it's very clear that Lukashenko's regime tries to profit from the alleged radicalisation of the protest movement, as means to justify possible escalation of violence. It's absolutely obvious that KGB knows every single radical anarchist and football ultras by name, but every time without fail these groups are the ones chanting the more aggressive slogans, throwing rocks or the odd molotov at OMON, etc., without much support from other protesters. If they really were concerned about radicalisation, all 200 radicals would have already been in gaol.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Oct 28, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I guess eastern europe has also entered the Cool Zone. Good luck fellow goons

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

dex_sda posted:

Kaczyński has just addressed the nation in a truly psychotic video. He called for outright civil war. He's calling on supporters to defend churches by any means necessary, and says the State has moral imperative to crush the attacks. He has also insinuated the protests and direct action are a direct attack by trained hostiles. He said, head on, there will be bodies.

Starting tomorrow, the army is authorised to "assist the police in helping control the spread of the pandemic." poo poo is about to pop off in Poland big time.

Trump's rallying in Poland?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The protests are not slowing down. Today there was a nationwide women's strike, the associated demonstrations and antifascist party in Cracow drew a record 20-25 thousand people onto the streets.

On Friday, a huge central march is planned in Warsaw. We are talking "radical orgs in other cities are organising coaches" big. Optimistic goal is 500 thousand people marching in the capital, we will see how that goes.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
Any idea how big the women's strike is? And like, is it organized via any of the unions, or is it "calling in sick" striking? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I don't have any good media sources for any of this.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

PugWings posted:

Any idea how big the women's strike is? And like, is it organized via any of the unions, or is it "calling in sick" striking? Sorry if it's a dumb question, I don't have any good media sources for any of this.

The latter. It's calling in sick, taking vacation-on-demand (like normal vacation, but with no advance warning), or just going on unpaid vacation and hoping your employer won't mind.

The right to strike in Poland is incredibly curtailed. There is a fixed list of issues you can protest this way (work conditions, worker rights, pay – and that's pretty much it) and some state workers are straight out forbidden from striking (i. e. police). Therefore you can't officially go on strike because of abortion law.

As for the unions in Poland, they are in shambles and the leader of the largest one ("Solidarity") appealed its members to join the fascist militias that begin to form.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I'll put it to you this way: the logo the women's strike girls are using is black and red. It's a grassroots radical feminism movement that performed direct action simultaneously in dozens of cities on Monday. There ain't no union behind this, just women and allies fed up with the patriarchy and the State.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 29, 2020

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

As far as size goes, in 2016 they drew 200k supporters nationwide I think, but it was mostly women and really radical people, like legit anarchists and communists not just people called that by the right. By now there is near parity of male allies, and basically every radical org has threw in their bit too. The movement is enormous in size.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

https://lifeinkrakow.pl/galerie/w-miescie/823,final-srodowych-protestow-tlum-przy-muzeum-narodowym

cracow tonite

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

I though it wouldn’t happen, but 2020 and all that. We had our first titushki sighting in Wroclaw. A group of a few dozen young masked men in black attempted to attack the demonstration. No nationalistic emblems, no football club insignia, nothing, just the will to stir poo poo.

https://twitter.com/mczmiel/status/1321553047110209542?s=21

Also lol at twitter comments on a woman getting pushed head first into a curb: “you wanted war, you got it!”. Brave, so brave.

Mokotow fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Oct 29, 2020

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
"RESPECT THE SANCTITY OF LIFE!"

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Holy poo poo do I ever wish my mom hadn't caught a cold early last week. She was supposed to fly back to Canada on October 21 after spending three weeks in and around Sanok because of my grandmother's death (she barely missed saying good-bye, but did at least make it for the funeral), but she caught a cold and was worried they wouldn't let her on the plane because of it. Now she's not leaving until November 4. At least she can visit her father's grave on All Saints' Day.

Quarantining for two weeks in my now-vacant apartment after dealing with both that and her family falling apart is going to be a relative cakewalk. Unfortunately, she'll probably spend it Chromecasting YouTube videos of someone reciting the rosary, but she'll never break that part of her. Going to church and praying is probably the only thing keeping her sane at this point.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006
:stare:

what the gently caress Polska

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Electing Karol Wojtyła was the worst loving thing the Church did to us.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Pajser posted:

:stare:

what the gently caress Polska

You'll have to narrow it down, you know..

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Good one

darthzeta88
May 31, 2013

by Pragmatica
We lost a dog soldier ((( he got a illness from something. RIP Vanya may doggie heaven pet you and feed you lots of chicken.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Cute doggo, rip

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

back from the Warsaw protests. Overall very positive, a lot of people (over 100k). Lot of fash tho; I helped a stand against them at the start of the march and then later there were lots of incidents, motherfuckers are like roaches.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.
https://twitter.com/SabedinEbibi/status/1322298019367321602

Sure looks good in this tweet

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Lukashenko accused Duda of riggin the elections and tied Polish riots to that. Internet immeditately found a video of him congratulating Duda on victory back than and calling him a solid choice and will of the people

But goddamnit you have every right and even duty to protest, this law is insane. How is it even possible to pass through parliament that you elected

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

How do you mean, we have a right wing authoritarian party with over 50% of the vote in the parliament chamber which actually counts. In the senate they have 49% but it’s not that big of a deal in our system.

It’s very possible and very much in line with the will of the people who actually go and vote.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
The ruling party has the majority of votes in the parliament, so they can pass whatever they drat please. They knew that messing with abortion law would be extremely unpopular, so they had the Constitutional Court (ostensibly independent, but in reality controlled by PiS) rule the existing law to be unconstitutional so they could say "well it wasn't our decision!", but ~somehow~ that plan didn't quite work out.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I still don't get how and why. Wouldnt every woman in the country be extremely opposed not to mention good chunk of men? How do members of parliament expect to proceed with their lives after voting for such batshit insane law

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

They have three years before next election. The assumption is that it will all get calm enough and the disgruntled voters will come around.
With enough propaganda it will happen.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Thinking about the hundreds of Witcher 3 posters with Ciri as a face of the women's protests. What a loving move

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

But why? Who is happier now? Even Vatican doesnt give a gently caress now I think. Everyone who needs an abortion will just go to Germany, so who won?

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Sekenr posted:

How do members of parliament expect to proceed with their lives after voting for such batshit insane law

Again, none of them voted for it. This was done in complete circumvention of the normal legislative path by a hijacked Constitutional Tribunal.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Sekenr posted:

But why? Who is happier now? Even Vatican doesnt give a gently caress now I think. Everyone who needs an abortion will just go to Germany, so who won?

The fundamentalist voting block has been satisfied. It was overdue really.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Tevery Best posted:

Again, none of them voted for it. This was done in complete circumvention of the normal legislative path by a hijacked Constitutional Tribunal.

Ok, got it now. Eh

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Anne Frank Funk posted:

The fundamentalist voting block has been satisfied. It was overdue really.

How are they satisfied if it changed nothing? Every neighbouring country will perform abortion, so what changed?

I don't mean to be annoying, was busy with our own affairs.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Sekenr posted:

I still don't get how and why. Wouldnt every woman in the country be extremely opposed not to mention good chunk of men? How do members of parliament expect to proceed with their lives after voting for such batshit insane law

Got their cronies satisfied after recent in-coalition reshuffling and hoped they'll ride it out between covid deterring from mass protests and/or spinning it into your usual polarization-oriented homonazi bullshit.

Why care about people who wouldn't vote for you anyway getting more vocal, especially if they can scare the undecideds into voting for you? Especially when you can 100% count on any notable opposition leader being completely inept and unable to capitalize on possible openings. See: pro-abortion centrist darlings trying to ride the protest's coattails without even trying to pay lip service to strike's actual postulates.

Or the previous Constitutional Court leader (sort of idealized by the partisan free courts you must vote for lesser evil crowd) casually calling the protestors (who, in large part, went out to try and save his rear end a few years back) rabble, then when he got called out for it went "nooo, I would never call our protestors a rabble, I was grossly misrepresented, now who I meant were those no-good window-breakers from the US and France I compared them to".

That's why the right-wingers have it so easy.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Sekenr posted:

People important to the ruling party. Not as in 'people who vote' but rather 'people close to them they have a bunch of deals with'.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

Got their cronies satisfied after recent in-coalition reshuffling and hoped they'll ride it out between covid deterring from mass protests and/or spinning it into your usual polarization-oriented homonazi bullshit.

Why care about people who wouldn't vote for you anyway getting more vocal, especially if they can scare the undecideds into voting for you? Especially when you can 100% count on any notable opposition leader being completely inept and unable to capitalize on possible openings. See: pro-abortion centrist darlings trying to ride the protest's coattails without even trying to pay lip service to strike's actual postulates.

Or the previous Constitutional Court leader (sort of idealized by the partisan free courts you must vote for lesser evil crowd) casually calling the protestors (who, in large part, went out to try and save his rear end a few years back) rabble, then when he got called out for it went "nooo, I would never call our protestors a rabble, I was grossly misrepresented, now who I meant were those no-good window-breakers from the US and France I compared them to".

That's why the right-wingers have it so easy.

No, I mean why? How could it possibly a point of contention? Why right-wingers care so much? I come from Belarus, no small thing, I am considering escape but if doctor says so, no questions asked, if a woman decided so - your choice

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Supposedly PiS and allies were pretty dumbfounded by that decision. Looks like Kaczyński's idea that was backed by his long time associates from 1990'. Rest of the more moderate and younger people oriented fractions are stuck between party loyalty and their (and their supporters) beliefs.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Sekenr posted:

A bunch of fundamentalists that want to punish women for sex and the Polish cotholic hierarchy, but I repeat myself.

And sure, some people could just buy a ticket to a town on the Czech or German border, but poor people are hosed. Even more than before.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sekenr posted:

Everyone who needs an abortion will just go to Germany, so who won?

I don't know if it's that easy. Going to Germany means high travel expenses and a substantial language barrier. Poles from a lower socio-economic class might be plain locked out of professional abortions. Also, medical procedures are a lot more expensive in Germany and I have no idea if polish health insurance will even cover that. Plus, Germany has its own hosed up relation with abortions. While they are completely decriminalized and performed routinely, it's illegal to advertise for them or publicly announce that you perform them. You gotta go through gray area third party networks to even learn where you can have one, which is another huge barrier for polish people.

The whole abortion situation in Poland is extremely hosed up and disgusting. The EU really screwed up by dragging their feet on Piss slowly dismantling democratic institutions.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Sekenr posted:

No, I mean why? How could it possibly a point of contention? Why right-wingers care so much? I come from Belarus, no small thing, I am considering escape but if doctor says so, no questions asked, if a woman decided so - your choice

At the risk of sounding very Internet about it: because of the church. The actual doctrine, the turboconservative old farts in the bishopry, a need to request some sort of tribute from the rulers for the continued support.

Honestly, about 80% of Polish politics are to some degree about the church. It both sways a lot of influence and is not at all ashamed to exploit it for own benefit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Ok, thanks for explaining. I will get back to preparing to tomorrow march (which is drinking). Wish you the best of luck

I thought our leaders were insane