Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Nope followed it to a T, gave it its own folder on C:/ wasn’t going to change anything until i had it payed it a bit to make sure it was stable.

It’s all deleted now which freed up nearly 300gb because despite using MO2 it downloads everything and then unzips everything as part of the install so you need to have twice as much space as it tells you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Lmao yeah I wrapped up an Elysium playthrough a couple days ago and now I have my entire NVMe drive back

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
You can like, just delete everything in the "downloads" folder when you're done installing unless you're afraid you're going to gently caress up your install somehow and then need to reinstall everything.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club
Tried a SkyrimVR modlist and there's like 5 different mods specifically about Horkers.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

As an older-school modder, I have say it's pretty funny that everything we crotchety old assholes said about the downsides of modpacks came true.

Meanwhile, I've been playing Skyrim on PS4, and I have to say, Adamant is pretty legit consdering the limitations of mods on PS4.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

King Vidiot posted:

You can like, just delete everything in the "downloads" folder when you're done installing unless you're afraid you're going to gently caress up your install somehow and then need to reinstall everything.

It's handy to keep around if you want to update a modpack, it won't redownload stuff that's current in the download folder.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

You know, it makes you wonder why Boethiah and Mephala are considered "good" daedra when they have you do some of the most heinous poo poo. Azura is the only one of those three that fit the bill.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Because it's the Dunmer who consider them good. It's kinda how the god of the old testament was a loving rear end in a top hat, but He did help the hebrews survive.

The chimer began worshipping the old Tribunal when they were few in number and persecuted by the other High Elves, boethia and mephala gave them the strength and cunning to survive as a people.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jimbot posted:

You know, it makes you wonder why Boethiah and Mephala are considered "good" daedra when they have you do some of the most heinous poo poo. Azura is the only one of those three that fit the bill.
Azura absolutely does not fit the bill

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Jimbot posted:

Boethia is very, "don't let people gently caress you over. gently caress them over instead." Is not "good" per se but it's empowering, and from a daedra that's pretty unique.

"As you will it, so it shall be" and what not

I think mephala has a similar angle that she preaches, but I have done the mephala quest like one time

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
This is a decent explanation of why those are the Good Daedra, if you wanna watch an Elderscrolls Lore video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0EuUd7I78s

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Truly a fate worse than death.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I'm a boring fucker and this is my piddly modlist. Any other good recommendations for 'vanilla but better/less stupid'?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I'm a boring fucker and this is my piddly modlist. Any other good recommendations for 'vanilla but better/less stupid'?

Swap out most of Arthmoor's boring town mods (also because Arthmoor is an rear end in a top hat and the less of his mods you have in your load order the better) for the Cities of the North and Great City/Town Of mods. While not vanilla, they look better and give the rural places of Skyrim a more distinct feeling from just being Riverwood with the buildings shifted around. Also JK's Skyrim.

Keld-Nar, Telengard, Helarchen Creek, Whistling Mine, Soljund's Sinkhole, and Darkwater Crossing can stay, no one's really touched those with other/better mods (and the first two are original creations of Arthmoor's anyway), but pretty much every other town mod has something better for you made by someone else now:

COTN also has built in patches to make it work with JK's Skyrim and the mod author also has a Falkreath replacer due out sometime this summer, so keep an eye out for that too.

Also Immersive Laundry adds some flavor to the game world too. Just make sure you also pick up the replacer pack on JK's Skyrim's Miscellaneous files list:

Check them out and see if they're to your liking.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

HOW WAS I SO BLIND :barf: I guess that's what you get for just going by just carelessly going down the top downloads list. I didn't even know half of these were original creations, ew. These other mods seem like they have actual quality to them and I will be installing them ASAP, so thank you! I was deeply disappointed by how bad the minor towns suck, even the supposedly 'important' ones like Kynesgrove and Dragon Bridge. I also scrubbed a bunch of the other non-essential Arthmoor mods as well, don't worry :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jun 30, 2021

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If you want a mod like his courier service mod, there is also an alternative available: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/40709 It's even in the same spot for compatibility with things that have patches for Arthmoor's.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Yeah, USSEP, Manor Roads, Run For Your Lives, Cutting Room Floor, Point The Way, and Alternate Start - Live Another Life range from harmless to have to essential in the case of USSEP and haven't really been replaced by anything better yet.

Gildergreen Regrown is kind of pointless immersion fluff, because no one in their right mind is gonna sit around for 6 in-game months to even see the tree return to its former stature anyway.

Open Cities is more of a hassle than its worth and was the genesis of Arthmoor's descent into madness over the Oblivion Gates toggle. Same with the mods that shove poo poo from ESO into Skyrim.

Bring Out Your Dead can be enhanced by, or outright replaced with either or both of Skyrim Graveyards or Sepolcri.

And The Paarthurnax Dilemma can now be swapped out for the much better put together Paarthurnax Quest Expansion. And of course, as we've covered already, nearly all of Arthmoor's town mods have long since been outclassed by much better offers like JK's Skyrim, Cities of the North, and The Great Cities.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I don't really mind using his stuff since his mods are mostly inoffensive as long as you never under any circumstances make the mistake of attempting to interact with him directly. But it's good to see that there are better alternatives to a lot of it.

I haven't looked at Skyrim Unbound in a while but it's a decent alternative to Live Another Life (though it takes a less immersive approach, if that matters to you).

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

While I know Arthmoor's a bit of a goober, I found The Fall of Granite Hill to be a very cool addition to the game.

https://twitter.com/ThaumPenguin/status/1334539464916553728?s=19

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Thank you all so much! It was kind of a hassle to get all these patches and whatnot taped together, but the game seems to work just fine with no problems or conflicts now. I'm glad you have such encyclopedic knowledge of all these mods that seem to have (relatively) fallen by the wayside. Now my modlist is looking a lot fancier with as little Arthmoor included as possible :v:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Man, I forgot how crap the guilds in Skyrim were. Oblivion's storylines and handling of the guild's stuff were a 100x better and in Morrowind they were 100x better than what Oblivion offered. The thieves guild stinks except the radiant quests and really only because it feels like you're building the failing guild up from nothing (while dealing with arrogant shitheads the entire time). The Companions are super uninteresting and are a bunch of blowhards. I haven't done Winterhold yet and I think that may be actually okay? I haven't done the Brotherhood either but I remember not thinking much of it.

I like my daedra stuff separate from the guild stuff. If it isn't I'd like it to be an optional thing.

At this rate the guild stuff in the next game will be the most boring, boiler-plate junk that makes this stuff look like high art.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Brotherhood is the only one that makes you feel like what the guild represents. Winterhold isn't terrible, but is dumb and doesn't really require magic after you cast a ward in the intro to it.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Winterhold requires a bit more magic than that, but only low level stuff. Observe the lengths ymfah had to go to to complete it without any spells.

As far as the College questline, I think it's actually pretty good. Mind you, if you just do the critical path, it's pretty short and escalates to you being Archmage too quickly. I'd suggest doing a couple of side missions between each step if it doesn't feel too out of character. Helping out the other students and faculty makes the experience connect better. Also J'Zargo is one of the more amusing companions in the game.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

HOW WAS I SO BLIND :barf: I guess that's what you get for just going by just carelessly going down the top downloads list. I didn't even know half of these were original creations, ew. These other mods seem like they have actual quality to them and I will be installing them ASAP, so thank you! I was deeply disappointed by how bad the minor towns suck, even the supposedly 'important' ones like Kynesgrove and Dragon Bridge. I also scrubbed a bunch of the other non-essential Arthmoor mods as well, don't worry :v:

Mods are not prayer-wheels, he does not gain in power when people use them.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Mods are not prayer-wheels, he does not gain in power when people use them.

He does however suffer psychic damage every time someone patches out Mirmulnir's voice.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

docbeard posted:

He does however suffer psychic damage every time someone patches out Mirmulnir's voice.

God drat that voice over is loving awful, how the hell can someone be so proud of something that horribly voiced?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Possibly not completely irrelevant to the above:

https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14538

Nexus is working toward launching a Collections feature (basically creating what look like automatically-downloadable groups of mods, with the collection just linking back to the original uploaded mod) and as part of that are about to make it all-but-impossible for people to permanently remove their mods from the site.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Leal posted:

God drat that voice over is loving awful, how the hell can someone be so proud of something that horribly voiced?

It was cut content that they added back to the game, there's often cut content added back through a mod that is at least interesting or fun, and then there's cut content that was cut for a good reason.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Skwirl posted:

It was cut content that they added back to the game, there's often cut content added back through a mod that is at least interesting or fun, and then there's cut content that was cut for a good reason.
It wasn’t exactly cut content. Those lines were always active, but there weren’t any English voice files for them. But other languages did have the VO.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Raygereio posted:

It wasn’t exactly cut content. Those lines were always active, but there weren’t any English voice files for them. But other languages did have the VO.

Oh poo poo, I thought that was voice file was on the disk, do we know who recorded it?

I also never cared about it one way or the other because you hate everything about the main plot before you get to use shouts after you've done it twelve times and that voice is at least funny.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Leal posted:

Well, with XVASynth now being a thing it's probably only a matter of time before someone does a proper "DOVAKIIN?! NOOOOOOOO!" with the 'real' dragon voice instead of... whatever that is in USSEP.

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

docbeard posted:

Possibly not completely irrelevant to the above:

https://www.nexusmods.com/news/14538

Nexus is working toward launching a Collections feature (basically creating what look like automatically-downloadable groups of mods, with the collection just linking back to the original uploaded mod) and as part of that are about to make it all-but-impossible for people to permanently remove their mods from the site.

I never understood why people delete their mods. I mean, I believe that the author's should be able to do so, because it's their work, but I just don't understand why some do it.

I guess it could be for ideological reasons, and how Nexus mods is basically using the value generated by their mods to make money that doesn't go to the mod author. But it really sucks if they don't at least upload it somewhere else.

For example, I was recently looking for "EZ2C Dialogue Menu". It's just gone. All the links that I can find through search engines just point to the deleted nexus file.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I think there's a decent overlap in whatever brain chemicals make you a good modder and an insufferable human being. It's obviously not a 2 to 1 situation, but there's enough correlation to make you wonder about it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Skwirl posted:

I think there's a decent overlap in whatever brain chemicals make you a good modder and an insufferable human being. It's obviously not a 2 to 1 situation, but there's enough correlation to make you wonder about it.

The folks in the Mass Effect modding community mostly seem to have their heads screwed on straight and get along with each other and collaborate quite freely and frequently. Though there WAS a modder who just went and ripped down all of their massive and widely-used general quality of life improvement and bug fix mods because they were outraged at the prospect of other people possibly porting those mods to Mass Effect Legendary Edition without their input, so they decided no one can have them at all anymore period.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Oh poo poo, I thought that was voice file was on the disk, do we know who recorded it?

I also never cared about it one way or the other because you hate everything about the main plot before you get to use shouts after you've done it twelve times and that voice is at least funny.
Honestly I don't think it's any real margin worse than half the voice acting that they kept in

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

The folks in the Mass Effect modding community mostly seem to have their heads screwed on straight and get along with each other and collaborate quite freely and frequently. Though there WAS a modder who just went and ripped down all of their massive and widely-used general quality of life improvement and bug fix mods because they were outraged at the prospect of other people possibly porting those mods to Mass Effect Legendary Edition without their input, so they decided no one can have them at all anymore period.

That's odd too me, because AFAIK Oldrim modders have either been supportive of people porting their mods to Special Edition, or said they would do it themselves for the most part.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Jimbot posted:

Man, I forgot how crap the guilds in Skyrim were. Oblivion's storylines and handling of the guild's stuff were a 100x better and in Morrowind they were 100x better than what Oblivion offered. The thieves guild stinks except the radiant quests and really only because it feels like you're building the failing guild up from nothing (while dealing with arrogant shitheads the entire time). The Companions are super uninteresting and are a bunch of blowhards. I haven't done Winterhold yet and I think that may be actually okay? I haven't done the Brotherhood either but I remember not thinking much of it.

I like my daedra stuff separate from the guild stuff. If it isn't I'd like it to be an optional thing.

At this rate the guild stuff in the next game will be the most boring, boiler-plate junk that makes this stuff look like high art.

there's also the bard's college :v:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rainbow Knight posted:

there's also the bard's college :v:

I don't even think that bullshit counts as a guild. The very first quest is kinda okay at the end, you go in a dungeon to get a book, which is almost every single guild quest in every single guild, but then you actually talk with the guild master to get him to change lines and poo poo for a public performance. That's kinda Bard poo poo, then everything else is just getting a thing from a dungeon. After that initial poo poo there's nothing different about it than loving bounties.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Skwirl posted:

I don't even think that bullshit counts as a guild. The very first quest is kinda okay at the end, you go in a dungeon to get a book, which is almost every single guild quest in every single guild, but then you actually talk with the guild master to get him to change lines and poo poo for a public performance. That's kinda Bard poo poo, then everything else is just getting a thing from a dungeon. After that initial poo poo there's nothing different about it than loving bounties.

My goon.

Lemme tell you somesing.

A necromancer wanted a flute. A mind controlling draugr wanted a drum. Why?! loving why?!

Unrelated, I read an outline of how to gently caress over maven blackbriar as much a possible and its my new playthrough. Making Maven jarl through the main questline and then ousting her by retaking riften for the storm stormcloaks is particularly :discourse:

Rainbow Knight fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jul 3, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burns
May 10, 2008

Headhunter: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/51847

This looks interesting. Capture bandits and provide proof for bounty missions.