Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

poptart_fairy posted:

Hey I don't care about spaceman gear, I'd just like to see the story stuff in there on my character.

loving lol it's worse than I thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Emron posted:

If it's any consolation, the "story stuff in there" realistically amounts to, like, two lines the boss says and some scenery in the room after him.

Well, that's a bit of consolation at least. I was always annoyed that the Taken King's storyline was topped off in a storyline. Advanced through the singleplayer stuff then suddenly find it grinds to a halt because I don't have a raid group to play with regularly.

If the raid content here is just side stories or one-off fights that'll be much better handled - major antagonists disappearing behind an instance portal drives me up the wall.

DrNutt posted:

loving lol it's worse than I thought

For someone who got hooked on the realism and verisimilitude of action RPGs earlier in the thread you're weirdly condescending when those topics come up.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ha you loving nerd you want to see story and art?! Im just here for big rear end numbers!

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.

Norns posted:

Ha you loving nerd you want to see story and art?! Im just here for big rear end numbers!

My dude, what exactly do you want wrt to raids?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I live out all my raid experiences vicariously thru watching BigDickWilly69xxx on Twitch

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

xzzy posted:

Like I said, bad games no one plays.

:discourse:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Javes posted:

Guys they're just asking Bungie to remove all the mechanics that make the raid interesting I don't see what the big deal is.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Javes posted:

I raid for all those reasons actually. I'm not making arguments for myself tbh. I like progression raiding. But more eyes on content keeps people playing.

The whole "you must be this tall to ride" poo poo in mmos is dumb.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Javes posted:

There's a middleground between opening up the mechanics (making them more forgiving or less frequent in raids, opening up matchmaking for Nightfalls) and requiring several multi-hour sessions to progress.

People in the thread have a weird tendency to see "a more accessible version" and instantly jump to the conclusion that all raids should be loot corridors. The raid looks as if it has some interesting going on beyond "shoot heavily armoured robot", and it'd be a shame if that kind of stuff was locked behind the other raids further on.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Guys they're just asking Bungie to remove all the mechanics that make the raid interesting I don't see what the big deal is.

Not a single loving person is making this argument

Spiv
Oct 9, 2006

When life throws lemons at you, nuke the fucker!

Norns posted:

I raid for all those reasons actually. I'm not making arguments for myself tbh. I like progression raiding. But more eyes on content keeps people playing.

The whole "you must be this tall to ride" poo poo in mmos is dumb.

Ruh roh. Short guy syndrome.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The elitism and dismissive attitudes surrounding goons and the concept of matchmade raids is like some weird portal to mid 2000s gaming. It's okay for people to desire different experiences of similar content. Easy modes are fun. Letting everyone experience the same general content regardless of their preference on difficulty + group make up is cool and great.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

Well, that's a bit of consolation at least. I was always annoyed that the Taken King's storyline was topped off in a storyline. Advanced through the singleplayer stuff then suddenly find it grinds to a halt because I don't have a raid group to play with regularly.

If the raid content here is just side stories or one-off fights that'll be much better handled - major antagonists disappearing behind an instance portal drives me up the wall.

The majority of the story for the raid can be seen in the adventure "an invitation from the emperor" on Nessus. Basically, Ghaul ousted the old emperor Calus, who's been traveling since then on his bigass pleasure ship, the Leviathan. Now that Ghaul's dead, Calus is back to invite Red Legion members back to the empire, and wants to test the warriors who beat Ghaul. The raid is that set of tests. No story once you get in there, just encounters to beat. The last boss has a couple lines that refer to the premise of the raid, that's really about it.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

The thing is, as soon as you get all the patterns down it's totally trivial. I'm not bragging or joking when I say I think we have the thing on Farm already, but it just took a ton of effort to get there.

So the challenge comes from spending 2 hours doing that, instead of being good at shootmans. Not my idea section but whatever.

Someone in our group said the dogs should have an aura like the stealth Crota level from RoI. That would be nice but it might have trivialized it. I'm not sure how they make this section not a slog to figure out/quick breeze to farm and into something fun.

We congealed the same way with baths and getting our rotations timed and establishjng/protecting DPS, but I'd be excited to just play that section again for fun.

ABGD and I raid together and this is totally true. Once we figured out there are only so many spawn orders for the glowy plant things it instantly clicked.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Emron posted:

The majority of the story for the raid can be seen in the adventure "an invitation from the emperor" on Nessus. Basically, Ghaul ousted the old emperor Calus, who's been traveling since then on his bigass pleasure ship, the Leviathan. Now that Ghaul's dead, Calus is back to invite Red Legion members back to the empire, and wants to test the warriors who beat Ghaul. The raid is that set of tests. No story once you get in there, just encounters to beat. The last boss has a couple lines that refer to the premise of the raid, that's really about it.

That's cool. I'd like the fights themselves to be accessible regardless, but it's good I'm not missing anything big in the story. :shobon:

I had a sneaking suspicion the campaign here was going to end just before I actually fought Ghaul and have him taken out in the raid properly, or that the post-credits stinger would be dealt with there. Glad this isn't the case.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Norns posted:

It's just dudes trying to justify blowing 12 loving hours on the internet don't worry about it

No I like the challenging aspect and the need to coordinate and discuss strats and walk that fine line between killing your bros with a baseball bat and planting a big wet congratulatory kiss on their lips.

They aren't for everyone, sorry man. I don't want to see what I enjoy ruined so that someone I don't know can get something that they enjoy. Just watch twitch, sorry Mixer, or vote with your wallet play a game that is more needs suiting for ya

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Its just loving bizarre that people are so against two tiers of raiding when the game already sets a precedent for it with strikes

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

poptart_fairy posted:

There's a middleground between opening up the mechanics (making them more forgiving or less frequent in raids, opening up matchmaking for Nightfalls) and requiring several multi-hour sessions to progress.

People in the thread have a weird tendency to see "a more accessible version" and instantly jump to the conclusion that all raids should be loot corridors. The raid looks as if it has some interesting going on beyond "shoot heavily armoured robot", and it'd be a shame if that kind of stuff was locked behind the other raids further on.

The bolded part won't even be true next week once people get optimal strats down. Your complaints essentially boil down to not wanting to wait to see content.

Bungie likes to keep all the raid stuff under wraps until release so they can watch people struggle through and figure it out, and some people get really into that challenge. Some people (like me for instance) don't have any serious expectation of being world's first, but enjoy going in fresh and seeing the content without any guide or hand holding.

If all you want is to see the content, just wait a week until a few goon groups have the poo poo on farm status and get carried through. You won't even need to wait for official guided games.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

poptart_fairy posted:

That's cool. I'd like the fights themselves to be accessible regardless, but it's good I'm not missing anything big in the story. :shobon:

I had a sneaking suspicion the campaign here was going to end just before I actually fought Ghaul and have him taken out in the raid properly, or that the post-credits stinger would be dealt with there. Glad this isn't the case.

I agree, and think it's good they did it this way. It's an additional challenge, so the campaign has closure at the end. It also gives them freedom and rationale to have you be there every week (spoiler here) the last boss is a robotic version of calus and in his treasure room you see there are tons of copies of it to fight.

FWIW, I think LFR is untenable in destiny due to the way they designed the encounters, but I'm not, like, fundamentally opposed to it. If they put it in, I'd be in there for a full clear every week on top of regular raiding just as a gearing path beyond NM.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
The best parts of the raid so far are the parts where you're super chaining the flag bearers for five minutes in an unending glut of violence and the parts where I shoot those guys saluting you when you first spawn in and everyone on the coms gets real loving mad

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I am waiting for the guided content. The reason I keep posting otherwise is because you took my initial statement about being disappointed as a desire to see the raids stripped down and killed off for everyone, rather than the same two-tier approach being used for Strikes.

That this has gotten mixed up with Nightfalls somehow being too difficult for random groups to handle has just made the situation a mess.

Emron posted:

I agree, and think it's good they did it this way. It's an additional challenge, so the campaign has closure at the end. It also gives them freedom and rationale to have you be there every week (spoiler here) the last boss is a robotic version of calus and in his treasure room you see there are tons of copies of it to fight.

FWIW, I think LFR is untenable in destiny due to the way they designed the encounters, but I'm not, like, fundamentally opposed to it. If they put it in, I'd be in there for a full clear every week on top of regular raiding just as a gearing path beyond NM.

Mmm, I think it being a quick and easy way for another purple Engram would be enough enticement without wrecking the prestige or whatever of the "proper" raids. The game's already got an emphasis towards fancy cosmetics being high end rewards and I don't think it's unfair for those to be kept out of the casual easy baby groups.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

like, the oryx raid was a slog, the strats were pretty drat complex and by the time challenges were a think we were clearing it in, no exaggeration, 45 minutes

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Norns posted:

Not a single loving person is making this argument

You are the only person on that side of the argument who isn't.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
Yeah it's 2017. Why design content that everyone doesn't see? That's the waste of resources.

Anecdotal, but I know a ton of people who resub to WoW just so they can hop into the new raid and see all the cool setpieces and bossfights (even if they are dumbed down, 50% of the group still has to pay attention).

Reuse those assets you made and create a scrub raid that gives Joe Average another reason to come back for your next DLC/Expansion. Split it into multiple chunks and release a part each week to keep him playing even longer!

Make the scrub tier raid gear a different color and now it's more dressup for casuals (and hardcores!!) while at the same time allowing The Good Raiding Boys to single people out as poo poo noobs.

Twist And Pout!
Sep 3, 2011
Woops! phone postin' is hard

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DrNutt posted:

You are the only person on that side of the argument who isn't.

Can you quote the people in the thread who are asking for the raid itself to be stripped down, rather than an alternative version that's tuned for random or more loosely organized groups?

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I've never done a raid the week it dropped and can't commit to any kind of regular raiding schedule, but I managed to complete every single raid in Destiny 1 by just tagging along with Bone Krew goons who had room when I happened to be free or occasionally by braving LFG. The only time it took more than 2-3 hours was when I got invited to a VoG group full of actual children and wasn't smart enough to bail.

It's really not a big deal and I don't fault Bungie for not doing the extra work of turning the raids into matchmade strikes so that people can instead complain that they didn't get the "real" raid gear/shaders/emblems/ships for doing them. Guided Games seems like a pretty good middle ground so uhhh what's the problem exactly?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Let's just go in circles forever yall.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Norns posted:

Oh goody may favorite part of MMOs creeping in! Elitism rules

Part of raiding is communicating as a group. If you can't do that, you're a liability to ANY raid. Everyone understands this but you. Don't be butt hurt. It's gaming 101.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Norns posted:

Let's just go in circles forever yall.

A good description of what matchmade raids would be like lmao

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Soulex posted:

Part of raiding is communicating as a group. If you can't do that, you're a liability to ANY raid. Everyone understands this but you. Don't be butt hurt. It's gaming 101.

I'm bad at shooting not at raiding. Spent WAY more time than i care to admit progression raiding in other games.

Edit: I'm actually getting much better now that I trust the auto aim instead of fighting it. Still never gunna be one of those "2.5+ kd" guys but whatever

Norns fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 14, 2017

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Norns posted:

I'm bad at shooting not at raiding.

You might be bad at raiding in this case

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Oh look some waveforms. As always if anyone sees something, say something:

The Collector's Edition (which I still don't have $250+ for :sigh:) had a nice Cabal poster that you could hold up to a Black Light to reveal hidden ink.

I don't really know what to make of it, but here's someone else's screenshots for anyone who cares to speculate; the best I can conjecture is that the 1-2-3-4 sequence of dots on the Bond Battle Brothers(1)/Sun(2)/Naughty Doggos(3)/Crossed Axes(4) is some kind of sequence we have to enter in the raid somewhere.

Bond Brothers(1):

Sun (2) feat. upside down Red Legion glyph:

Of particular interest is the two "branches" that come off of the second "Sun" glyph that seem to go through a muddled 'patch' of something:

Bad Doggos(3):

Crossed Poleaxes(4) feat. TV Dinner Tray glyph:

This thread on Reddit details people's exploration attempts so far to this effect, looks like it involves accessing the hidden Underbelly using a lever sequence at the beginning of the raid:
https://www.reddit.com/r/raidsecrets/comments/7026vg/uv_mapping_leviathan_puzzle/

Also wow there are so many levers in that raid. Like so many to pull.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

You might be bad at raiding in this case

:shrug:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

poptart_fairy posted:

Can you quote the people in the thread who are asking for the raid itself to be stripped down, rather than an alternative version that's tuned for random or more loosely organized groups?

:thunk:

The first half of your sentence is essentially the same as the second, hth

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene
Also we are playing the tuned down version of the raid. See y'all in hard mode

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

DrNutt posted:

Two separate difficulties would have no impact on the default difficulty. At this point you are just trying to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

DrNutt posted:

Retuning a raid is not the same as removing all of its mechanics, nor is asking for an alternative the same as asking for the original to be changed.

You're either deliberately twisting words or simply aren't going to understand at this point.