Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

FuturePastNow posted:

The impression I've gotten, and I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong, is that souls aren't like fish swimming around in the lifestream. They're like ice cubes that go in when the body dies and melt, and the denser aether-rich souls just take longer to dissolve. When a new person is born they usually get fresh aether out the end of the lifestream.

But if a soul is still coherent enough, it can be pulled out more or less intact. Thus the Kobolds are summoning essentially the same Titan over and over, because he's dense enough to not dissipate in the weeks or months they go between summonings. If they didn't summon him for 10 years, they'd get a different Titan (though not too different since he'd still be based on their mythology). Y 'shtola and Thancred get flowed through the lifestream and come out with some damage because they started to dissolve.

I mean at the beginning of ARR the Kobolds, Sahagin, and Sylphs at least haven't summoned their primals since the calamity. It is implied that the Amaljaa and Ixal haven't either. The Primals they are summoning are, by that logic, fresh primals, but they definitely have some level of awareness and continuity. The thing about Y'shtola and Thancred is that they went into the aether whole, while a primal's aether disperses after you kill them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is at least some innate connection to a specific set of aether because we know Shards of people exist and have existed over multiple lifetimes and at very least the dragons consider the your aether to be who you are even if you're eaten and inside of them.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

FuturePastNow posted:

The impression I've gotten, and I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong, is that souls aren't like fish swimming around in the lifestream. They're like ice cubes that go in when the body dies and melt, and the denser aether-rich souls just take longer to dissolve. When a new person is born they usually get fresh aether out the end of the lifestream.

But if a soul is still coherent enough, it can be pulled out more or less intact. Thus the Kobolds are summoning essentially the same Titan over and over, because he's dense enough to not dissipate in the weeks or months they go between summonings. If they didn't summon him for 10 years, they'd get a different Titan (though not too different since he'd still be based on their mythology). Y 'shtola and Thancred get flowed through the lifestream and come out with some damage because they started to dissolve.

Could be like the Jewish conceit where your soul is a somewhat fungible thing that comes and goes and is not strictly analogous to the consciousness so much as what holds it - or it could be just that "soul" is an anatomized term that doesn't directly match to the spiritual notion of qualia.

ImpAtom posted:

There is at least some innate connection to a specific set of aether because we know Shards of people exist and have existed over multiple lifetimes and at very least the dragons consider the your aether to be who you are even if you're eaten and inside of them.

Further complicating this is that dragons can sense the souls of deceased dragons in not only the blood of Ishgardians who imbibe them but their descendants.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Jetrauben posted:

Further complicating this is that dragons can sense the souls of deceased dragons in not only the blood of Ishgardians who imbibe them but their descendants.

Elementals, similarly, can also detect a person's transgressions against nature in a previous life, and there may be a possibility that souls might run in families... which gives a whole new spin on the phrase 'You have your grandfather's eyes.'

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The download is now live. And with that, I take my cue to bow out from the Spoiler thread. It's been a lovely couple of years throwing around nonsense theories and fighting about Emet-Selch but now it is time to part for a while. I'll see you on the other side of The End.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Regy Rusty posted:

The download is now live. And with that, I take my cue to bow out from the Spoiler thread. It's been a lovely couple of years throwing around nonsense theories and fighting about Emet-Selch but now it is time to part for a while. I'll see you on the other side of The End.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The only datamining/spoilers I need are to see the SGE weapon models. I wanna see if the variety of designs is good or if it's gonna be another AST.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Yeah it's been delightful throwing rocks at this thread like a loving moron, and I'll be back after I'm through Endwalker

can't wait to blow up the loving moon

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Regy Rusty posted:

same, see ya in a few days spoilerinos!

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Yep, same here.

It's been fun, but it's vacation time. I hope everyone enjoys Endwalker.

I'll just leave this spicy tidbit: Astrologians are not and never have been Time Mages or Geomancers.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Yep, same here.

It's been fun, but it's vacation time. I hope everyone enjoys Endwalker.

I'll just leave this spicy tidbit: Astrologians are not and never have been Time Mages or Geomancers.

Astrologians aren't geomancers, but geomancers are astrologians.

Maybe worth making a new spoiler thread?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Yeah, datamine stuff is coming and I dunno what to drop, even tagged, lol.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm getting out of here. Bye all.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
See you all in probably two weeks

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Cowards running away from the truth that Tataru is Zodiark.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Here is a datamined Mount

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Oh my God. That's gorgeous.

Edit: Just a blind guess here, but maybe it's a new Gil sink mount to get all of that Coffee Biscuit Gil out of the economy?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

sweet geek swag posted:

Cowards running away from the truth that Tataru is Zodiark.

They are right to be scared.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Here's some light spoilers (in that they suggest plot progression) - it's the main story titles in the order you acquire them (all of them are unisex, no variants)
Magus Resister
Moonwalker
Lightingway
Vrtra's Valiant
Elphiphoros
Hope's Legacy
Endwalker

Less spoilery, the 80 Reaper and Sage titles.
Lemures for RPR, The Sagacious for SGE.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Hogama posted:

Here's some light spoilers (in that they suggest plot progression) - it's the main story titles in the order you acquire them (all of them are unisex, no variants)
Magus Resister
Moonwalker
Lightingway
Vrtra's Valiant
Elphiphoros
Hope's Legacy
Endwalker

Less spoilery, the 80 Reaper and Sage titles.
Lemures for RPR, The Sagacious for SGE.

...that 2nd one, huh?

Also I'm weak, I'm probably gonna hang out here anyway

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
I'm sticking around, as long as we keep the datamined stuff spoilered and labeled so we can choose to spoil ourself or not.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I am here to gorge myself on spoilers.

I'm one of those weirdos who always looks up how a game or book ends before I play/read for the first time, and often before I even buy.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Major Spoiler dropped

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Cythereal posted:

I am here to gorge myself on spoilers.

I'm one of those weirdos who always looks up how a game or book ends before I play/read for the first time, and often before I even buy.

yea tbh with how FF is so good at poo poo like imagery and musical stings and all even if I accidentally read an covered 'wow can't believe Alphinaud gets loving murdered for good' I'm still gonna cry like a baby if my precious elf child is even slightly hurt.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
My plan is definitely to keep everything tagged, but at least with context.

Here's the final two zones:
Elpis (the floating islands)
Ultima Thule

Here's the prefix for the first of those two that may explain why they were so reluctant to show anything more than the concept art: The World Unsundered

Maps for them, if you wanna try and squint to make out the Eorzean script on them.
First zone

Second zone

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

HUGE FFXIV SPOILER

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eonwe posted:

HUGE FFXIV SPOILER

gently caress!!!!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Hogama posted:

My plan is definitely to keep everything tagged, but at least with context.

Here's the final two zones:
Elpis (the floating islands)
Ultima Thule

Here's the prefix for the first of those two that may explain why they were so reluctant to show anything more than the concept art: The World Unsundered

Maps for them, if you wanna try and squint to make out the Eorzean script on them.
First zone

Second zone

so the greek goddess of hope and greek for "final region", both fitting the Ancients' greek theme

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Well I guess I'd better get out of this thread for a few days! See you all later!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The only spoilers I care about are mounts, minions and maybe fashion :effort:.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nuebot posted:

The only spoilers I care about are mounts, minions and maybe fashion :effort:.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
So, one of the music tracks is a rock remix of Answers, and sure as hell sounds like music for a trial or solo duty.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

eonwe posted:

HUGE FFXIV SPOILER

That's a big spoiler.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Cythereal posted:

So, one of the music tracks is a rock remix of Answers, and sure as hell sounds like music for a trial or solo duty.
Well, here's the big drop (some of the bigger spoilers to be had if you really don't want to know our fights before playing): there's a Minstrel's Ballad duty for Zodiark's Fall and Hydaelyn's Call. These are the Extremes for launch, which means they're the leveling fights.

Seriously, be careful about mousing over bars!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I've just finished listening to all the new trial/duty boss music in Endwalker. I am loving PUMPED.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The song you hear at the start of the launch trailer (not the cinematic trailer) is listed as the 3rd day theme for Ultima Thule - I'm thinking it's going to be Endwalker's equivalent of High Treason.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
The EX mounts for this expansion are winged great cats, so you'll be collecting Lynx of _______.
Edit: here's the new mount models in at launch.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Hogama posted:

The EX mounts for this expansion are winged great cats, so you'll be collecting Lynx of _______.
Edit: here's the new mount models in at launch.

Most of those look cool! That rhino thing looks straight out of WoW though

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Nuebot posted:

Most of those look cool! That rhino thing looks straight out of WoW though

Pretty sure it's straight out of FF11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Pretty sure it's straight out of FF11

Yep, they're also in Amh Araeng I believe.