Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Wrenever posted:

Hokay, so - I try to stay within 140 characters, but tonight is an exception. Already starting to see #wxtwitter get all excited about mocking folks who try to make it through floodwaters. And if you want to do it, you do you, but please keep this story in mind when you do.

I had new glasses come in, and when I went to pick them up this afternoon, two of the employees were chatting. Their employer would let people scheduled the next few days not come in, but they would have to use vacation time to do it - no exceptions. One woman remarked that she only had 18 hours left, and she already anticipated needing time for an imminent family funeral. So let's imagine we get an Allison repeat and she's flooded in for several days.

In a couple days, she's going to run out of time off - time she's already planned on needing. After that, she won't get paid for not showing up, and might risk being fired. So, yes, some people drive through floodwaters because they're dumb. But it's not always the case. People who are in vulnerable positions may make a seemingly poor decision, because they see the alternate as worse. This isn't the first story I've heard of people being pressured by employers to make unsafe decisions, either. So please, remember that in the coming days, because I'm afraid it's going to a real decision for some.

https://twitter.com/LuchsLikeRain/status/900936322386350080?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Crossposting to credit the kindly goon who typed out the entire thread and to remind everyone that your boss is your mortal loving enemy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
This is why I just listen to faith no mores epic on repeat all day.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Koalas March posted:

You're just mad people called you out on your bullshit

We can move this subject back to negrotown, but it sucks that we have to separate black politics from D&D at times. People don't realize how important racism in the media is . I mean the media helped Trump president. Let's not act like a huge A-List celeb embracing the snake title when it was specifically used to call out her racism isn't a political issue. Especially in this climate when white supremacists are so emboldened. It's racist at worst and tone deaf as gently caress at best.

Actually no it's just bad today and I'm not the only one that's noticed. I'd have the same opinion whether people decided to melt down on me or not over "my bullshit".

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
And that was the day a hurricane became president

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It offends me that T Swift has the popularity that CR Jepsen deserves. I rep the Jep

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Your Taint posted:

I don't follow pop music enough to be well informed, but I always thought she was pretty non offensive.

http://verysmartbrothas.com/how-taylor-swift-is-the-most-dangerous-type-of-white-woman-explained/

quote:

No one is better at this type of specifically White female performative faux melodrama — where status is cultivated and maintained through a state of perpetual exaggerated victimhood (which everyone laps up because “sad White woman” = “Let’s find our loving capes and save her!”) — than she is.
You know that co-worker (let’s call her “Susan”) who somehow managed to use her offense at a minor breach in email etiquette (someone forgot to put an exclamation point on a sentence, which made Susan “interpret” it as a “threat”) as fuel for a raise and a promotion?

Taylor Swift is Darth Susan.

Kanye, however, would later tweet that he actually reached out to Taylor about the lyric before incorporating it in his song. And that she thought it was funny and was cool with it.
Which suggests the following:

1. They’re friends. Or, rather, friendly enough to have this conversation.
2. The entire Grammy speech was an act.
3. She’s more than willing to throw a friend under the bus for the opportunity to performative martyr.

Of course, Taylor vehemently denied that this conversation ever happened. And, of course, most of the country seemed to believe Taylor. Because Kanye is the scary Black dude. And Taylor, again, is Darth Susan.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Selachian posted:

I wish nothing but safety to all of those in the path of the hurricane.

But still, I'm going to be just a little bitter when Texas Republicans start asking for disaster funds. Because I remember when Sandy hit the NY/NJ area and Republicans dragged their feet on providing disaster relief, only passing an aid package two months later.
I don't think they will. They'd rather just let everything burn/drown than have to ask Pelosi and Schumer for help (because the HFC crazies will vote against it they'd need Dem votes). That'd lead to primary challengers tying them to Pelosi/Schumer like how Christie got smeared when he dealt with Obama like a sane person after Sandy.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Office Pig posted:

"They're gonna be safe"

Yep, the PotUS thinks Harvey is fake news.

Meh, I could see it as "there gonna be safe" as in "I have confidence they'll make the right decision regarding their own personal safety."

KickerOfMice
Jun 7, 2017

[/color]Keep firing, assholes![/color]

Spaceballs the custom title.
Fun Shoe

Your Taint posted:

I don't follow pop music enough to be well informed, but I always thought she was pretty non offensive.

In addition to what Koala has already said, the music is also gut-wrenchingly awful.
The track KM has been mentioning-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K0RzZGpyds

What the hell is that supposed to be? Edgy? Dark? Sounds like someone dragging a cat over a cheesegrater. :catstare:

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Ague Proof posted:

I hope Mueller doesn't turn out to be a milshake duck.

You have to be newly famous to be a milkshake duck.

Javes
May 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT APPEARING OFFLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO TELL FRIENDS THEY'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR MY VIDEO GAME TEAM.
Is Trump golfing this weekend?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
You know what D&D could use? A Trump thread.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Your Taint posted:

Meh, I could see it as "there gonna be safe" as in "I have confidence they'll make the right decision regarding their own personal safety."

It was mostly tongue in cheek, but with even the marginal numbers of Trump supporters who believe the hurricane is a hoax, I'm not ruling out the big man himself holding some idea near and dear to his heart that's about as bug nuts.

geonetix
Mar 6, 2011

Kanye and Taylor both suck and are creative deplorables. Shake it off. To another thread. Or something.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Javes posted:

Just because it would look so awful and be so wildly hypocritical, the answer is assuredly yes

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Office Pig posted:

https://twitter.com/LuchsLikeRain/status/900936322386350080?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

Crossposting to credit the kindly goon who typed out the entire thread and to remind everyone that your boss is your mortal loving enemy.

yeah this kind of poo poo ought to be illegal, your employer is not your friend

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Your Taint posted:

A dumb Trumper might look at that differently, and then drown.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Javes posted:

Camp David.

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

AriadneThread posted:

yeah this kind of poo poo ought to be illegal, your employer is not your friend

If you're not stealing from your employer, you're stealing from your family.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Can we at least argue about how TLOP is a creative joke of an album after the career peak of Yeezus

Kale
May 14, 2010

Accretionist posted:

You know what D&D could use? A Trump thread.

What a wonderful idea. I've heard that guys pretty topical these days

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Can we at least argue about how TLOP is a creative joke of an album after the career peak of MBDTF
fixed that for you

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
A podcast I listen to inserts timely news reports to the end of episodes and they had an interview with some Corpus Christi couple and the dude was like "yeah we've got our car gassed up, our phones and laptops charged, and flashlights with lots of batteries. We're all ready!"

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

geonetix posted:

Kanye and Taylor both suck and are creative deplorables. Shake it off. To another thread. Or something.

The only thing more fake than professional wrestling is celebrity drama.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

Javes posted:

oh poo poo... even he can't POSSIBLY be that tone deaf.... right?

... right?

:(

e: camp david, phew.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Javes posted:

He was departing for a vacation at Camp David when he said the "good luck" thing to the people of Texas.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Accretionist posted:

You know what D&D could use? Therapy.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
i'm actually kinda glad we had the taylor swift derail, because i knew literally none of this poo poo and naively thought she was a bland, unoffensive pop singer. i learned a lot of poo poo today. so thanks KM.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Corpus Christi's brother Corpulent "Chris" Chriti has knowledge of hurricanes that could help.

Hastings
Dec 30, 2008

Bicyclops posted:

"Mr. President, what do you think of the fact that Houston is now completely underwater?"
"That's too bad."

"Now Sarah, has the President seen the video of the Jose, the drowning hispanic boy?"
"I have not discussed the alleged video with him. But I believe he feels very sad since he has kids as well."
*9 minutes later*
*Trump tweets* If the kid didn't want to die, then he shouldn't have come over here illegally. SAD!"
Kelly: "Oh, Christ."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

botany posted:

i'm actually kinda glad we had the taylor swift derail, because i knew literally none of this poo poo and naively thought she was a bland, unoffensive pop singer. i learned a lot of poo poo today. so thanks KM.

EndTimesProfit
Jul 1, 2004

Don't worry son, it's just the Smilin' Mighty Jesus!

Blind Pineapple posted:

Huh, someone in America still has hope... Interesting.

Seriously though, my grandparents live in Houston and don't get around too well, so I'm uh, pretty uneasy about this weekend.

After Katrina my wife and I adopted a Black Lab/Dalmation mix from New Orleans. I am currently planning on throwing her a Sweet Sixteen party in a few weeks.

Looks like we'll probably have to take in another one after this .

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hellblazer187 posted:

A dumb Trumper might look at that differently, and then drown.

Look, I hate Trump as much as anyone here, but to his credit he did explicitly say that people should heed the warnings of state and local officials.

And as I said earlier, anyone who has the means to leave but chooses to "ride it out" deserve whatever they get.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

botany posted:

:same:

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

botany posted:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Music peaked with Electric Ladyland and everything since is just a series of beeps and boops meant to disguise the fact that we're all shuffling off this mortal coil (some quicker than others)

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Your Taint posted:

Look, I hate Trump as much as anyone here, but to his credit he did explicitly say that people should heed the warnings of state and local officials.

And as I said earlier, anyone who has the means to leave but chooses to "ride it out" deserve whatever they get.

Unfortunately, the mayor of Corpus Christi doesn't believe that government should be able to force people to leave and never got an evacuation ordered

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Koalas March posted:

You're just mad people called you out on your bullshit

We can move this subject back to negrotown, but it sucks that we have to separate black politics from D&D at times. People don't realize how important racism in the media is . I mean the media helped Trump president. Let's not act like a huge A-List celeb embracing the snake title when it was specifically used to call out her racism isn't a political issue. Especially in this climate when white supremacists are so emboldened. It's racist at worst and tone deaf as gently caress at best.

It's kind of hosed up that even in the goddamn United States politics thread, about a President who refused to decry Nazis, discussions about racism are called "derails," especially because they are called the exact same thing whenever they are brought up in the context of any thread that is directly related to their sphere of pop culture.

It's not like racism didn't exist before, but some of its proponents are pretty loud in the current political climate, and it's okay and, heck, maybe even a moral imperative for the people who are calling out that racism to be just as loud and prolific.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

botany posted:

same, it gives me a concrete reason to dislike her beyond my general disdain for pop stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
Someone is going to have to tell my wife all this Taylor Swift business and it will not be me.

• Locked thread