Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ok I've been out of touch with board games and board gaming for like over 6-7 years now and my wife keeps asking me for Xmas ideas so I walked to the local game store and I have no idea wtf I'm even looking at anymore. Can anybody give me a few recommendations that aren't like $200 limited edition kickstarter games or whatever?

Some games I've liked:
Dungeon Lords (Vlaada games in general I tend to really like)
Codenames
Pandemic
Flashpoint (i like coop games in general usually)
Battlestar Galactica
Chaos in the Old World
Dominion (wife loves it)
Love Letter

Games I liked in theory but hardly ever played even back then due to length and complexity. Also I have two kids now so lol at ever playing a full game of TI ever again.
Twilight Imperium (3rd edition I belive)
War of the Ring (1st)
Mage Knight
Archipelago (loved the idea and flow... hated the terrible and incomplete instructions)

Popular games at the time I hated:
Caverna
Arkham Horror
Puerto Rico

If your wife loves the engine building aspect of Dominion, she might be into Wingspan, which is a game that caters to casual board gamers more than grogs and features a competitive and a 'peaceful' game mode. Also if you like Vlaada games, check out Dungeon Petz. Check out quick overview videos of those games, I'm too hungover to type much (also I cut my index finger)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Codeacious posted:

I just don't think I can keep it if lockouts are a thing. For a game I have to plan weeks in advance, clean my house, pre plan lunch, etc, I don't want any player sitting and doing nothing for hours on end. At least in TI4 there's a phase where players can influence the overall game if they're in a bad spot by voting and convincing others to vote.

Even worse, I realized last night that the correct move for the player next to me was to come in and blow up my home sector with Neutron Bombs, which would have nearly eliminated me from the game (I had one other sector with one population due to the poor explore draws). He didn't because he saw how crappy of a time I was having and played nice.

Are there any variants that can smooth the beginning out? Like, if you're adjacent to five ancient ships after your second turn you can delete one, or something?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I've started playing Gloomhaven with the PC release, and I kinda suck. Won the first two missions, but both the Inox Camp and the Cultist Lair are kicking my rear end. I think my problem is that I feel pressured to run forward because of the card timer, and end up placing my dudes in a position where they eat three attacks and it's all downhill from there. It seems that getting hit is Very Very Bad, much more so than in other games. Is it ok to waste a couple of turns here and there just to you don't get hit? For example, in the mosh pit near the door of he Inox Encapment (where the guards spawn).

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I don't know if anyone else has played it here, but Omega Centauri scratched the Euro 4x itch for me better than Eclipse did.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Ok I've been out of touch with board games and board gaming for like over 6-7 years now and my wife keeps asking me for Xmas ideas so I walked to the local game store and I have no idea wtf I'm even looking at anymore. Can anybody give me a few recommendations that aren't like $200 limited edition kickstarter games or whatever?

Some games I've liked:
Codenames
Pandemic
Battlestar Galactica
Chaos in the Old World
Dominion (wife loves it)
Love Letter

Games I liked in theory but hardly ever played even back then due to length and complexity. Also I have two kids now so lol at ever playing a full game of TI ever again.
War of the Ring (1st)
Mage Knight
Archipelago (loved the idea and flow... hated the terrible and incomplete instructions)

Caverna
Arkham Horror
Puerto Rico

Spirit Island- current best co-op and great game in general. Can be a bit long but speeds a lot as you learn it
Marvel Champions- co-op with deck construction and superheroes
Pandemic Legacy- not sure if this one missed you, but it’s like a campaign mode of pandemic, very highly regarded
Dominion Expansions- dunno how many you had, but there’s a ton now and it’s still the best deck builder
Unfathomable: brand new BSG reprint just with cthulhu theme
Concordia- really great eurogame if you want to try one, has a really good system for picking actions that keeps the game moving
Watergate- great 2-player about Journalists vs Nixon

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Fat Samurai posted:

I've started playing Gloomhaven with the PC release, and I kinda suck. Won the first two missions, but both the Inox Camp and the Cultist Lair are kicking my rear end. I think my problem is that I feel pressured to run forward because of the card timer, and end up placing my dudes in a position where they eat three attacks and it's all downhill from there. It seems that getting hit is Very Very Bad, much more so than in other games. Is it ok to waste a couple of turns here and there just to you don't get hit? For example, in the mosh pit near the door of he Inox Encapment (where the guards spawn).

It absolutely is much more of a resource management game than just a straight dungeon smasher. You shouldn’t necessarily waste turns but be aware of what the enemies are capable of through their base stats, in particular range and movement stats to see where/who they can likely reach and attack. Manage your initiative to try and go either before enemies if you can finish them off/lock them down/shield yourself OR later than them if you can have them not quite reach you and punish them for it or just to manage who is getting attacked to spread around damage more. Different classes also have different strengths and weaknesses, so it might help to ask based on specific party makeup.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009

PerniciousKnid posted:

Are there any variants that can smooth the beginning out? Like, if you're adjacent to five ancient ships after your second turn you can delete one, or something?

Feels like “draw two pick one” when exploring, as suggested earlier, would do the trick. Might upset the balance of exploring in new ways, who knows.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Some games I've liked:
Codenames
Pandemic
Battlestar Galactica
Chaos in the Old World
Dominion (wife loves it)
Love Letter

War of the Ring (1st)
Mage Knight

If you like codenames, Decrypto is good in the same vein.

If you like CitOW, Root is a popular asymmetric game in the same genre, with similar upsides and downsides.

If you like pandemic and other co-ops, For Science is a co-op game about curing diseases that involves connecting cards and building block towers. The tricky towers inevitably wobble and fall, reminiscent of Jenga. It's a bit complicated for younger kids, but my 11 year old loves it

Since you have kids, my kids love telestrations.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

taser rates posted:

I don't know if anyone else has played it here, but Omega Centauri scratched the Euro 4x itch for me better than Eclipse did.

It's extremely good, yes.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
I haven't played Neom but boy I hope it isn't related to the project of the same name in Saudi Arabia because, well, I'd rather not see MBS making royalties on his propaganda board game.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

BinaryDoubts posted:

I haven't played Neom but boy I hope it isn't related to the project of the same name in Saudi Arabia because, well, I'd rather not see MBS making royalties on his propaganda board game.

Gonna go out on a limb and assume it's unrelated

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
MBS making pennies from a tie-in boardgame. He keeps them separate from the rest of his fortune, and close to his heart.
It is a bit weird that there is a futuristic city-building game, and a futuristic city they want to build going by the same name, but there is absolutely no way that the Saudis gives a poo poo about Lookout games.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
Is Seasons more family friendly (rules-wise) than Res Arcana?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Terminally Bored posted:

Much less so.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Terminally Bored posted:

What are family friendly rules?

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!
Looking for board game prices, are there any good websites that show pricing of stuff other than just googling? More for comparisons sake, not trying to time a sale or anything

threelemmings fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 7, 2021

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Some games I've liked:
Codenames
Pandemic
Battlestar Galactica
Chaos in the Old World
Dominion (wife loves it)
Love Letter

War of the Ring (1st)
Mage Knight

Caverna
Arkham Horror
Puerto Rico

You said arkham horror but have you tried the LCG? The card game is perfect for a game with my spouse. You can go through a whole campaign together

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
Also I enjoy Terra Mystica, how good is project gaia? That's the sequel one, right?

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...
The talk about The Crew Mission Deep Sea got me interested and I played a ton of it last night. Thought the original was clever but mostly just fine, but this one has really won me over. A few small tweaks, some interesting goals and it's night and day

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It’s probably GotY so far fo me.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

threelemmings posted:

Looking for board game prices, are there any good websites that show pricing of stuff other than just googling? More for comparisons sake, not trying to time a sale or anything

Boardgameoracle, at least for me.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Terminally Bored posted:

Everyone I know disliked Seasons, including myself.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

PerniciousKnid posted:

The solution is actually in the rules - you do not have to place a tile you draw. You can chuck it.

New players never do it because they think they're wasting an explore action, but throwing down a bad tile and putting a token on it is way, way worse than fishing for what you need. You often need to throw down the first tier 1 tile you draw to prevent getting locked out of the center, but your tier 2 tile is placed so that you can easily take a few shots at it.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013

Terminally Bored posted:

I would say no. There is a lot more going on (summoning cap, dice, seasons, selling, mana cap, etc) than Res Arcana. It's also harder to help them out because the cards have much more wording than iconography.

That being said, theming goes a long way and because there is cute art my family will play seasons and wont sit down to learn Res Arcana.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

Wife and I just lost the second scenario to Jaws of the Lion because I wanted to hoover up all the money.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

threelemmings posted:

Boardgameprices or boardgameatlas depending on where you are.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Wife and I just lost the second scenario to Jaws of the Lion because I wanted to hoover up all the money.

Working as intended.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zapf Dingbat posted:

That's awesome

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

taser rates posted:

I loved that game. I will someday get my friends hooked on it. It could use a second edition though, it's got a few rough edges.

I have high hopes for Voidfall as a result of Nigel's name being stuck to it, based entirely from my experience with Omega Centauri.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Zapf Dingbat posted:

Good thing you get to keep the money you hoover up for the next crack at the scenario!

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hey thanks for all the replies with suggestions, I appreciate them. In general I've shied away from LCGs because I tend to be a bit of a completionist and they can get really expensive, but maybe the Marvel and Arkham one are worth a shot. I had no problem with the theme of Arkham Horror, I just had a miserable experience trying to play the actual game.

I think I'll maybe just give the list of suggestions to my wife and let her pick the ones that she thinks she would like.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Hey thanks for all the replies with suggestions, I appreciate them. In general I've shied away from LCGs because I tend to be a bit of a completionist and they can get really expensive, but maybe the Marvel and Arkham one are worth a shot. I had no problem with the theme of Arkham Horror, I just had a miserable experience trying to play the actual game.

I think I'll maybe just give the list of suggestions to my wife and let her pick the ones that she thinks she would like.

I couldn't get into Marvel because there's no campaign. It's just a one shot, I found the long term nature of Arkham more fun. But uh, just slowly work your way through campaigns if you like it

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
There are 3 campaigns for Marvel now. They're pretty solid.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How is agguretsuko board game for someone who likes it? I'd be buying it as an xmas gift for the girlfriend

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

GreenBuckanneer posted:

How is agguretsuko board game for someone who likes it? I'd be buying it as an xmas gift for the girlfriend

It's a mostly pretty standard ladder climbing card game with the twist that once per hand each player can steal a card from a trick. If you like card games you'll probably like it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

taser rates posted:

It's a mostly pretty standard ladder climbing card game with the twist that once per hand each player can steal a card from a trick. If you like card games you'll probably like it.

It's mostly for her, she doesn't play much board games.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Fat Samurai posted:

Don't forget that you can both place and resolve your cards in whatever order so if you're faced with a room full of enemies you can place your 80 card before your 10 when playing and go at 80 initiative to give the enemies time to blow their actions and hopefully not swarm you before you go in last and start hammering on them. With groups of lots of melee guys they'll often just walk toward you and end turn. You can also kind of bottleneck them or move to one side so that only some of the enemies can reach you which will mean eating 2 hits instead of 4 or something. A good skill is learning when to burn cards. You need to pace yourself obviously but don't be afraid to use your powerful burn cards because sometimes trashing that card is better than the extra turns you'll spend trying to deal with a problem in a more "efficient" manner without burn cards.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played the first game of Pandemic Legacy Season 0 yesterday, won by the skin of our teeth. Really worried about what that means for us going forward! But had fun.

Kinda weird to mention but I quite like the type of plastic used for the agent figurine tokens that are placed, hard clinky stuff that doesn't bend like, for example, the explorers from Spirit Island.

I mean maybe it means it's lower quality and more prone to break or something but I prefer it!

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Played a 6 player Eclipse 2nd Ed at the weekend. It's a very claustrophobic game at players and pretty chaotic trying to persuade people to attack other players. But fun times all round. We're going to try and leave it less than 18 months till our next game so we don't make the same errors and let the Plants win again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loddfafnir
Mar 27, 2021

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I second Spirit Island, especially if you like coop (which you do).
I love CitOW and never found a worthy successor. But Inis is a great game with dudes on a map, interaction, and table talk so you may like it.
Pax Pamir 2nd edition is another game you may like?

Loddfafnir fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Nov 8, 2021