Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Szymanski posted:

I'm five maps into Supplice. Early maps feel like they were designed for jumping with the convenient crates dotted around, and the low ledges. Minor annoyances with some Plutonia-esque snipers and chaingunners wrecking my health. More than worth the price so far.

I'm on the fourth map. This fucker killed me twice. He is notably more difficult than any other enemy so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Barudak posted:

Just finished the first two maps of Supplice. Gol' dang they're large. Not made up my mind on how I feel about permanent upgrades being behind secrets, but yeah, this is the closest I'm gonna get to Marathon 4 so lets do it, folks.

Did you try out Apotheosis X? It’s a really good-looking Aleph One TC that came out in the winter, I had a blast with it. And tbh am having a blast replaying it alongside Supplice. It’s like having two Marathon 4s at once! Also free.

https://simplici7y.com/items/apotheosis-x-5

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Turin Turambar posted:

I think it was this one
https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=59889

You will need to start a new game, you can't load a save file with different mod dependency.

thanks

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones

Turin Turambar posted:

I'm on the fourth map. This fucker killed me twice. He is notably more difficult than any other enemy so far

Yeah he instakilled me on his debut. Fortunately you get more space in later encounters.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

Hah I just ran into this dude. Absolutely cruel to trap you in a small room with you and have his spawn be triggered on reading a terminal to progress.

On the other hand a full charged alt fire from the otherwise so far really middling flame launcher is a kill on him.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
All it took was one game to bring everyone together :)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Kins posted:

Forgive Me Father 2 has been announced, alongside a console port of the original game. No dates yet for either, but it's officially A Thing Now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJPxUZthqn0
good for them! the first game was messy but a solid C+ retro shooter. the sequel will need to address the sparse checkpoints for sure though

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

One of my biggest issues with PW was how easy it was, so hopefully not!

You can break Project Warlock over your knee with the right weapon upgrades, so much so that you'll never need to use magic. I think my favorite upgrades were the one that made the chaingun just plain better in all respects, and the shotgun upgrades that turn it into an flaming flak cannon that can shoot twice with full "pellet" spread before going to the reload animation. My memory's kinda fuzzy.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I also note, running the listmaps command, there's a secret level?

Anyone know which map you access that from?

Answer is you don't, it's a stub map with one dude in it.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Yea supplice got harder on level 2 but thats mostly because of the limited ammo scattered around and how most enemies they throw at you don't drop ammo.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Is there a jump button in Suplice?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
legally no, technically yes

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Overbite posted:

Yea supplice got harder on level 2 but thats mostly because of the limited ammo scattered around and how most enemies they throw at you don't drop ammo.

Map 2 had a serious ammo scarcity, I finished it up with almost 0. I don't know if the intento is for you to still use the drill.
Map 4 is a bit weird, imo it's easier than map 2 and map 3, because it has too many resources everywhere.

Milo and POTUS posted:

All it took was one game to bring everyone together :)

In a way, I bought it to give back a bit after hundreds of hours of wads played.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 7, 2023

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I'm sick of not being able to jump around in shooters. I love hopping even if it gives me no advantage. I wanna JUMP.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I'm sick of not being able to jump around in shooters. I love hopping even if it gives me no advantage. I wanna JUMP.

DoomGuy refuses to bunnyhop in honor of his fallen pet.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

NoneMoreNegative posted:

DoomGuy refuses to bunnyhop in honor of his fallen pet.

This is canon now

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

:thunk:

Exclusive: Doom Live-Action Series In The Works For Peacock

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/doom-live-action-series-peacock.html

quote:

Since the original game does not have much of a plot to speak of (other than shamelessly ripping off Sam Raimi’s Evil Dead), Peacock could go any direction.

Nobody tell them about Eternal's loredump :ssh:

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Apr 8, 2023

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
what the entire gently caress

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Its not gonna be better than the Doom movie

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

skasion posted:

Its not gonna be better than the Doom movie

Movies

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I'm imagining 'At Doom's Gate' only it's being performed by the Portsmouth Sinfonia :o:

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Long take, nearly dialogue free Bela Tarr-esque tale of muscle marine carnage in the Khan Maker’s space fortress

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
There are many interesting artistic and/or joyful takes that could be done, but we know that's not gonna be the case. We're getting a direct-to-tv streaming budget remake of the first movie.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
Gladiator level would work for me - Doom Marine walking slowly through the level scene, ignoring the Khan Makyr projection / Priest as they tell him how it was right to slaughter Earthlings, as he finally comes to the Gladiator and it's the loving Mountain from Game of Thrones and it's just blood and guts and a crazy crowd screaming rip and tear and oh god it'll never happen this way :smith:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
My understanding is that the only source on the Doom TV series thing is that Giant Freakin Robot site, which is perhaps not the most reliable of sources.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

:thunk:

Exclusive: Doom Live-Action Series In The Works For Peacock

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/ent/doom-live-action-series-peacock.html

Nobody tell them about Eternal's loredump :ssh:

Shamelessly ripping off Evil Dead? Have they gotten confused with Duke Nukem 'borrowing' a bunch of lines from the films?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

A doom tv series based on house.pk3

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

A Doom movie or TV show should be a slam dunk. The Mars, future tech and satanism aesthetics combined with a marines vs hellspawn narrative is a fantastic base to build a half decent story.

But no one has even gotten the basics right, let alone written a good story.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Barudak posted:

A doom tv series based on house.pk3

We already have House of Leaves and someone’s making a Backrooms movie

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Word on the street is that after being fired from DC, getting body slammed out of the Fast & Furious Franchise, and the next Jumanji possibly being the last, the Rock may actually reprise his role in DOOM TV and "reboot a beloved classic".

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
WE'RE GETTING THE RUNDOWN 2?!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
The bad news is the rock doesn't come cheap anymore. The good news is sean william scott would probably work for exposure at this point

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The 2005 Doom movie is an enjoyable trash movie to me but only because it spends a large percentage of its runtime ripping off entire scenes from Aliens.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
They made Master Chief gently caress to get a streaming show, we are going to get full frontal on the Doom show just to compete.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The Doom series news came from Giant Freakin Robot. The site that makes poo poo up out of whole cloth and has claimed, on multiple occasions, that Kathleen Kennedy was being forced out of Lucasfilm.

It's bullshit.

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

The 2005 Doom movie is an enjoyable trash movie to me but only because it spends a large percentage of its runtime ripping off entire scenes from Aliens.

I don't mind the Doom movie (I never saw the newer one), and it's decent enough to put on as background noise when I'm working on a writing project or doing dishes and laundry or whatever. But then again, I have a high tolerance for trash, as I own the 1994 Street Fighter movie on both DVD and Blu-ray.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Timby posted:

The Doom series news came from Giant Freakin Robot. The site that makes poo poo up out of whole cloth and has claimed, on multiple occasions, that Kathleen Kennedy was being forced out of Lucasfilm.

It's bullshit.

I don't mind the Doom movie (I never saw the newer one), and it's decent enough to put on as background noise when I'm working on a writing project or doing dishes and laundry or whatever. But then again, I have a high tolerance for trash, as I own the 1994 Street Fighter movie on both DVD and Blu-ray.

SF 1994 unironically owns. What a big stupid blast of a movie.

"QUICK, CHANGE THE CHANNEL!"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I understand why people have affection for that movie but I feel like you're disqualified from being a good street fighter movie when where isn't a single good fight scene in the whole movie. You had one job!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I finished Supplice, including the bonus map, that is E3M1.

Weapons: Great job. Mechanically speaking, they offer some improvements imo over the OG Doom's weapons.
-The drill is nice by itself but the star of the show is the alternative fire, solving the issue of 'what happens if the player depletes all ammo?' question. The alt fire still gives you a short range option that kills basic enemies in one hit, and as it's slowly rechargable, you can use 4 shorts in succession (enough to kill a few enemies, not enough to be abusable). The powerup that gives it flames rocks too, it seems to triple or quadruple the damage of the drill, and it isn't time based, but fuel based (you get x uses).
-The single rifle has an interesting burst pattern, giving it a bit of personality, slightly slow but reliable. Better than the Doom's pistol. And in the 'double AR' configuration is a solid weapon of choice, overall decent against all enemies.
-The shotgun is great thanks the alt fire, giving you the best both the both worlds (of the world of shotguns) : you can have both the semi action choice, firing at good pace, and the 'slow to reload but boomy' choice. Great boom sound effect by the way.
-The RL equivalent (although it's number 6) has two nice features: big blast radius, rewarding you with good placement in groups of enemies (which imo is more interesting than 'just a weapon with high DPS to use against the elite enemies'), and it has a slight arc, making it harder to use as sniper weapon against distant targets. The alt fire is pretty spectacular against hordes, btw.
-The minigun is a lot of dakka, and it seems you can place several with the alt fire, not only one.

Enemies:
-I wish the normal zombie and the shotgun zombie looked a bit more different, like the more dangerous one should have a read or yellow strip of color.
-The imp can do a short dash, giving it an edge of danger fighting a few of them and being distracted with other enemies, making the game overall more twitchy.
-Same with the big mutants, that maybe are the replacement of the pinkies but honestly, they are more different, faster and more aggressive, tougher too, so their role isn't the same. Again, they make the game a bit more twitchy than Doom.
-The weird floating orbs are cool, if only because I like their death animation a lot.
-The lost soul replacement can spit venom which is ok, giving it a bit more of versatility. But they aren't as a cool as a flaming skull that makes weird noises. The egg thingie that spawns them is also ok, it's something with higher priority target obviously, but I hope it exists apart from something else that replaces the Pain Elemental, as they just lack any charisma or soul that a good monster can have (I mean, it's just an egg, boring!).
-The chain guy is fine once you find them in open spaces, their combo of fire bombs and chains is cool; but they are a pain in the pass in close quarters. Again, more aggressive than the average Doom monster.
-The final boss is nothing to write home about, I'm thinking how it could be used in later episodes in the role of 'normal monster'. It would be like the Spider Mastermind?
-Overall I felt that in the 5th map I knew them well, I hope for one more enemy type to appear there. I guess they will have a pair of new enemies on each new episode.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 8, 2023

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

SF 1994 unironically owns. What a big stupid blast of a movie.

"QUICK, CHANGE THE CHANNEL!"

I mean, it does own but absolutely ironically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I finished Supplice early access right now and Turin Turambar seems pretty spot on. My only points of embellishment are:

The shotgun's primary fire is so fast, damaging, and accurate that its an absolute workhorse for you, its like someone souped up the basic shotgun in Doom to some sort of alternate evolutionary path Super Shotgun.

The rocket launcher weapons primary fire was pretty limited for me in use to hitting the floating hearts since its splash zone is pretty small, but its secondary fire deletes things and obliterates any mobs in its neighborhood so its go some real functionality.

I hate the eggs, but I hate all enemies that just infinitely respawn. The final note you uncover seems to imply that those enemies can infect corpses to make the pinkie equivalents, but if they do that never once happens in the first episode as far as I can tell.

You get the chaingun in the literal last fight and it feels really underwhelming. You can put the weapon down for support fire but that takes nearly 1/3rd your total ammo to do so and the reward is... a second gun firing that runs out of ammo pretty dang quick. The primary fire is pretty accurate and deadly, but its hard to compare DPS versus the twin assault rifles it competes with. Feels like a great single-target delete-r but its secondary fire works aggressively against that and completely fails to challenge the rocket launcher secondary fire in its niche.

I think the game needs Doom 4/5s weapon wheel/slow down time feature because the weapons all have fairly good niches where I want to swap between them and I can already tell that I'm gonna get caught scrolling between guns as the roster of weapons increases in size.