Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I've definitely burned my dumb self while mindlessly discharging it into my hand, happily clicking away the test button after forgetting it was set to 1/1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

I've definitely burned my dumb self while mindlessly discharging it into my hand, happily clicking away the test button after forgetting it was set to 1/1.

Burned as in 'ow' or burned as in 'there is a red mark that stays for a while'? Because I know the 900 has more kick than the 800, but I'd happily pop the 800 on bare skin any day.

Of course, I'm also the guy who, upon buying any new flash or strobe, fires it into his face to see how bright it is.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

SoundMonkey posted:

Burned as in 'ow' or burned as in 'there is a red mark that stays for a while'? Because I know the 900 has more kick than the 800, but I'd happily pop the 800 on bare skin any day.
Burned as in 'ow why do I do dumb things'

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

SoundMonkey posted:

Of course, I'm also the guy who, upon buying any new flash or strobe, fires it into his face to see how bright it is.

For a few years growing up, I had a bedroom with no windows (yes I was allowed to leave it at will and there were no shackles).

At any rate, I had hours of fun with my mom's camera flash, firing it off and searing an afterimage into my retinas. It only lasted a handful of seconds, so I had to do it a lot. :downs:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

evil_bunnY posted:

Burned as in 'ow why do I post dumb things'

Ah, I see. I thought you actually meant you were injured by it, which seemed a bit outlandish.

Interesting alternate use for hotshoe flashes: 'charging' glow-in-the-dark materials like glow tape. Before most theatre shows, someone with either a point & shoot or a bigass flashlight will go around and charge important glow tape pieces so the actors don't trip and die during the first blackout before the stage lights have had a change to charge the tape.

Of course, if you get bored and make a template, you can also use this to write profanity into glowtape.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

SoundMonkey posted:

Also, if you have a gel swatchbook, just make a note to be careful with anything with a 'trans' number of 40% or less. R59, which transmits 2% of the light that passes through it (meaning it's really loving dark), will melt and burn within ten minutes in a theatrical light fixture, and that's with it being nearly two feet from the bulb. Just consider, when putting gel on, that you're asking a really thin sheet of polycarbonate to absorb a large portion of the energy coming out of what is potentially a really big flash.

Since I have no idea where I would even look this up, is there a code for a piece of infrared-pass gel (opaque to anything shorter)?

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

I have also in no way abused my near-limitless supply of glowtape to product an 8x10 glow-in-the-dark panel on cardboard. It's fun to write on it with a laser pointer.

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Since I have no idea where I would even look this up, where could I find a piece of infrared-pass gel (opaque to anything shorter)?

If you mean what I think you mean (gel that passes only infrared light and nothing else), it doesn't exist, because theatre has no use for that. You could get something pretty similar by using a few layers of really dark red gel (R26 springs to mind, but some could be darker). Find dark reds whose spectral charts show high transmission at infrared wavelengths, and stack a couple together. You can find the spectral charts on Rosco's website I think, basically just a graph of the gel's transmission over the visible and not-quite-visible spectrum.

Working out what wavelengths gel passes light at is actually really useful, since some of them have weird peaks and valleys where you wouldn't expect. R59 makes a pretty good blacklight gel, but adding what is actually a pretty light purple (R47) cuts out most of the rest of the visible light while still passing the UV.

SoundMonkey fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Mar 1, 2013

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Paul MaudDib posted:

Since I have no idea where I would even look this up, is there a code for a piece of infrared-pass gel (opaque to anything shorter)?

How big do you need? Totally exposed E6 film is commonly used as a cheap infrared filter.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I've wanted to do this for ages now, so I finally sat down and made it happen: f/8 and be there: The photojournalism/documentary photography megathread

I've never started a thread before and I'd love for this to stay active in the Dorkroom, so if anybody is interested in checking it out and letting me know how I might be able to improve the OP I'd be grateful.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Hey r/photography, looking to start a small on the side photography business just as a way to make extra cash, and need advice on a cheap camera I came across.

quote:

So my fiance' is getting laid off in a few weeks from his job as a contractor. He's dabbled in photography a bit in the past, but has always wanted to do freelance/small photography type things (nature pictures, animals, small photo shoots, etc.) for extra cash. Never had the money for equipment before, but he's found a camera online that looks great to him and me, but we are looking for advice on the specs. I figured you guys could help a bit! Any info would be appreciated.
Here are the specs:
Features Include:
14MP resolution
3.0" LCD screen
0.2" electronic color viewfinder
CCD sensor
18x optical zoom, 6.7x digital
720p HD video recording
5mm to 90mm zoom lens
Enhanced dual image stabilization
Auto red-eye removal
Tracking auto-focus
Blink and smile detection modes
Panoramic photos with auto-stitching
SD/SCHC memory card slot
17 scene modes
Auto ISO, Up to ISO 1600 (ISO 6400@3MP)
8fps, 3.3fps and 1.2fps continuous shooting speeds
JPEG stills, AVI video
Popup flash: 1 ft. - 26 ft. effective flash range
Easy uploading to Facebook, YouTube and social media sites
1 x Hi-Speed USB, 1 x composite video/audio output, 1 x HDMI output
4x AA batteries required (not included)
Dimensions: 4.3" (W) x 2.9" (H) x 3.2" (D)
Package Includes: Fujifilm FinePix S2940 Digital Camera, USB Cable, A/V Cable
After checking reviews on Amazon, I see that the original package comes with a lens cap but the package details do not state that it has a lens cap. Does anyone know if this is correct, or would it not be stated in "package includes"?
Thanks and happy shooting! :)

It's a great read. Turns out she's an ordained minister and wants to offer wedding photography packages...

http://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/19gpux/hey_rphotography_looking_to_start_a_small_on_the/

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

woot fatigue posted:

Hey r/photography, looking to start a small on the side photography business just as a way to make extra cash, and need advice on a cheap camera I came across.

It's a great read. Turns out she's an ordained minister and wants to offer wedding photography packages...

http://www.reddit.com/r/photography/comments/19gpux/hey_rphotography_looking_to_start_a_small_on_the/

I like to think the difference between us and reddit would be that we would fakepost serious suggestions to her.

But wow.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

I like to think the difference between us and reddit would be that we would fakepost serious suggestions to her.

But wow.

I tried my best upvoting with various sockpuppet accounts to give it more views/potential, but unfortunately it's fallen off the page.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

woot fatigue posted:

I tried my best upvoting with various sockpuppet accounts to give it more views/potential, but unfortunately it's fallen off the page.

Well at least the consensus best lens for a newbie in the canon thread is now the TS-E 24mm

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Paragon8 posted:

Well at least the consensus best lens for a newbie in the canon thread is now the TS-E 24mm

It's a good focal length on a crop sensor at 38.4mm. It may be a tad slower than the 40/2.8 pancake on a full-frame, but similar in focal length with plenty of features to grow into.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

woot fatigue posted:

It's a good focal length on a crop sensor at 38.4mm. It may be a tad slower than the 40/2.8 pancake on a full-frame, but similar in focal length with plenty of features to grow into.

I know you’re being satirical, but it would be a convincing act anywhere but SA.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Actually, I was at a wedding this summer where the staff traded off on camera duties, using a camera just like that. Seriously, the DJ was the photographer during the ceremony, then the wedding officiant became the photographer during the dancing. Apparently they were quite proud of saving a bunch of money by hiring one group that "handled everything", but the pictures came out just as well as you can imagine.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
If you're at a really cold event, you can use the strobe setting on flashes as a hand warmer.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

bisticles posted:

Actually, I was at a wedding this summer where the staff traded off on camera duties, using a camera just like that. Seriously, the DJ was the photographer during the ceremony, then the wedding officiant became the photographer during the dancing. Apparently they were quite proud of saving a bunch of money by hiring one group that "handled everything", but the pictures came out just as well as you can imagine.

I.. umm.. actually shot one wedding where I officiated. It was only because I knew the people and the photographer they hired called them about 45 minutes before the ceremony and asked if they could bail him out of jail.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

squidflakes posted:

I.. umm.. actually shot one wedding where I officiated. It was only because I knew the people and the photographer they hired called them about 45 minutes before the ceremony and asked if they could bail him out of jail.

Who do you think you are? Sara Frances?

geeves
Sep 16, 2004

woot fatigue posted:

Who do you think you are? Sara Frances?

Wedding Photography: Your post-modern officiant PoV

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of lovely wedding photographers:

quote:

I am looking for young trainees who would like to do wedding photography and once they are suitably trained by coming to a number of weddings they will be given paid work.

You MUST have;
camera either a canon 7D or 5D mark II or III
at least one canon pro series lens
off camera flash and accessories such as flash cards, batteries etc
camera bag
vehicle
license
gps
be available all weekends

If you do NOT meet ANY of the above criteria, please do not waste your time making contact as I will not respond as I do not wish to waste anyones time.

To reply please advise you fill all criteria and tell me about yourself and why I should train you above others as hundreds will apply.

You can be based anywhere in Sydney, Central Coast or Newcastle as long as you are prepared to drive to a wedding no matter where it is.

You must be professionally presented with strong english and have basic camera skills. You must have an outgoing personality who loves being around people and be a good problem solver. Weddings are tough and you need to be tough to deal with them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yep, all "trainees" come equipped with $2500 cameras plus lenses. :manning:

Glad the teacher doesn't give any poo poo about portfolios.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Guess I'll take my 1Dx elsewhere :smug:

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

bisticles posted:

Guess I'll take my posting elsewhere :smug:

Thank GOD.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

You could learn a lot from him.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

xzzy posted:

Yep, all "trainees" come equipped with $2500 cameras plus lenses. :manning:

Glad the teacher doesn't give any poo poo about portfolios.

If someone has $5000 worth of gear they must be good. Why else would they have all of that expensive equipment?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

mr. mephistopheles posted:

If someone has $5000 worth of gear they must be good. Why else would they have all of that expensive equipment?

But I have 5 thousa . . . oh.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

"Yeah, I got a $5,000 pro camera system"

*Gestures to pickup truck bed full of Pentax ME Supers*

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
Nikon users need not apply. Heh

Edit: why are all professional photographers massive cunts? From buying/selling on CL, the new dads looking for a camera to take babby pics are an absolute pleasure to work with. The "pro" photographers show up 30 min late with reeking cologne and 6 ft pole wedged firmly up rear end, hem and haw and then try to low ball you.

INTJ Mastermind fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Mar 4, 2013

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

INTJ Mastermind posted:

Nikon users need not apply. Heh

Edit: why are all professional photographers massive cunts? From buying/selling on CL, the new dads looking for a camera to take babby pics are an absolute pleasure to work with. The "pro" photographers show up 30 min late with reeking cologne and 6 ft pole wedged firmly up rear end, hem and haw and then try to low ball you.

I bought a GR1s from a photojournalist and he was just happy that it was going to someone that was actually going to use it as opposed to flipping it on eBay.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
Photojournalists in my experience are way more pleasant than many other photographers, especially the ModelMayhem type "pros" that seem to be everywhere.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

BobTheCow posted:

Photojournalists in my experience are way more pleasant than many other photographers, especially the ModelMayhem type "pros" that seem to be everywhere.

I like to think the MM guys are just full of hatred due to how many flakey assholes they deal with on a regular basis.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Shmoogy posted:

I like to think the MM guys are just full of hatred due to how many flakey assholes they deal with on a regular basis.

I think I posted about this before, but the last time I used MM to find some models for a compensated tattoo shoot, I ended up getting around 30 models confirm that they would be at the shoot, and 2 that actually showed up. Of the no-shows, there was one entire call-with-lame-excuse and the rest were just complete and total flakes.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Then obviously the best photographers are the MM 'pros' that constantly tell everyone that models don't flake on them.

Heh, don't know what your problem is, bub, my models always show up :smug:

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Helena Christensen & Portrait Photographer Mary Ellen Mark on Capture. There's a Pentax 67 in there if you catch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3eSMVsRqww

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
Several days ago I was looking at the pictures I just took and this one kept catching my eye. I didn't exactly know why but I just liked the picture.

About half a day later, it hit me like a brick. I just made an accidental homage to Eggleston.

Sumner, Mississippi by William Eggleston

Of course, it wasn't deliberate but I just love the similarities. Even the red stripe on his sweater evokes the red tie on the white man.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

Fragrag posted:

Several days ago I was looking at the pictures I just took and this one kept catching my eye. I didn't exactly know why but I just liked the picture.

About half a day later, it hit me like a brick. I just made an accidental homage to Eggleston.

Of course, it wasn't deliberate but I just love the similarities. Even the red stripe on his sweater evokes the red tie on the white man.

That's paper.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

I think you're reaching for a comparison that's not really there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Fragrag posted:

Ah, yes, there are black people in both pictures!