Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

brylcreem
Oct 29, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Golbez posted:

Touche (and nice use of :chord:). But that's an actual event we have the date for, I meant just don't say "we know an eclipse happened on May 28, 585 BC", it's more like, "we know there was a battle on May 28, 585 BC" etc. :)

Well, then I guess I'm just confused about your use of the word event, or the dating of them.

Without a point of reference somewhere, it becomes impossible to accurately date an event. Loonies have calculated the Earth is 6000 years old by counting "begats" in the Bible. Imagine if one of those "begats" had a reference saying "By the way, Gordon was born in a year with both a lunar and solar eclipse! It was whack, yo". Then we could probably pinpoint Gordon's birth and then clear the whole thing up.

We can also date events without using astronomical data. The Year Without a Summer occured in 1816, after a volcanic eruption and low solar activity in 1815. Of course, we have plenty of sources for that.

Golbez posted:

Superstition and ignorance suck, but it'd be nice if modern wars could be stopped by something so simple.

Yeah, too bad that Presidents (*cough*Bush*cough*) only uses religion to go to war, not end it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

Loopyface posted:

If you're planning on tipping, which you absolutely should, you need to close it.

Some places add an automatic gratuity to tabs left unclosed at the end of the night.

Saint Rockhopper
Oct 2, 2008
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but someone told me about a webcomic with a strip about how Americans sound to British people and vice versa. Could have been xkcd but he isn't sure. Google Images turns up nothing. Any ideas?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Saint Rockhopper posted:

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but someone told me about a webcomic with a strip about how Americans sound to British people and vice versa. Could have been xkcd but he isn't sure. Google Images turns up nothing. Any ideas?

Loath as I am to link there for any reason, nonetheless, you're looking for The Oatmeal.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
What was that website that I read a whole bunch about that was supposed to be sort of like Wikipedia but it only cataloged every animal species? They got a bunch of start up capital and generated a bunch of publicity, but when I checked it out a year or two ago, it was very small and pretty worthless. I remember them featuring that hairy white lobster prominently on their page.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
At my part time job someone abandoned a beat up old mountain bike. Not locked up or anything. It was there for an entire day before I brought it inside. We have kept it in a lost and found for almost a week.

I want it, since no one is coming to claim it, but my manager thinks we should call the police to see if someone reported a bike missing.

I am thinking that most likely no one called it in, or that the police will just impound it and I will never see it again even if no one ever claims it. What's the right way to go about doing this to see if anyone is looking for it without the police just snatching it up (or do they even do that?)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
You could call the police department and ask them what they do. I know some places have bike auctions every year from bikes that have been cut off of bike stands for being there too long.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Got a straight dude friend who's interested in cross dressing. He's not interested in living like a woman or dressing like a normal lady. He wants to be fabulous and gorgeous for special occasions, though, knowing him, I'm thinking he wants to be a little more tasteful than sequins and feather boas. Then again, this is kinda new for him, so maybe that's an option he should try out anyway.

Anyway, I'd like to support him on this journey and am looking for advice. Mostly, I'd like to find some shops in Nor Cal and go shopping with him. I'm not being completely altruistic here.

He's very narrow waisted and can wear my tiny girl pants, but his shoulders are super broad. Like, he even has problems getting dude shirts to fit. He is shaped like a perfect triangle.

If you guys could even just direct me to an appropriate thread on SA that would be FABULOUS!

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I'd try the transgender thread or faggoon thread in E/N.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hi! I posted this in GWS but it didn't really fly in the catch all questions thread:

Help, you glorious bastards! I am in Paris on my honeymoon and so far we have had fairly good meals at little bar/cafes, but before we leave I'd love to eat at a really fantastique French restaurant.

It doesn't have to be 4 star Michelin. In fact I'd prefer something we didn't stress over reservations and hundred-euro price tags.

Any good recomms?

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

How long does it take for refrigerated soda-pop becomes undrinkable*?

*Hazardous to health, and not hazardous in that "Oh soda's bad for you way", hazardous in the "Hey this H2SO4 looks mighty tasty." way.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I got into an argument earlier about cremation. Are the corpses taken out of the coffins before they're burnt or do they just toss them in the furnace, casket and all? In one of the funeral parlors in my town, they remove the bodies and transfer them onto a stretcher of sorts, which transports them into the furnace. This is done partly because of the high cost of caskets, so I'm not sure if this is the standard practise everywhere.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

KildarX posted:

*Hazardous to health, and not hazardous in that "Oh soda's bad for you way", hazardous in the "Hey this H2SO4 looks mighty tasty." way.

Has it been opened or no? If it ain't been opened it can last 5 years or more, if it's been opened, about a year, if I remember right.

People sell really old soda online that's been kept in storage for 20+ years and it's usually still drinkable as long as it stayed sealed.

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

KildarX posted:

If it doesn't have anything growing in it, it probably won't make you sick.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Ariza posted:

What was that website that I read a whole bunch about that was supposed to be sort of like Wikipedia but it only cataloged every animal species? They got a bunch of start up capital and generated a bunch of publicity, but when I checked it out a year or two ago, it was very small and pretty worthless. I remember them featuring that hairy white lobster prominently on their page.
I doubt it's the one you have in mind but I'd be surprised if wolframalpha.com doesn't have everything you'd ever want in that regard (and much more.)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Feenix posted:

Hi! I posted this in GWS but it didn't really fly in the catch all questions thread:

Help, you glorious bastards! I am in Paris on my honeymoon and so far we have had fairly good meals at little bar/cafes, but before we leave I'd love to eat at a really fantastique French restaurant.

It doesn't have to be 4 star Michelin. In fact I'd prefer something we didn't stress over reservations and hundred-euro price tags.

Any good recomms?

Try this thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3318901

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Edit: It really was a stupid question, and re-reading the OP pointed me to the right thread. Thanks!

Atoramos fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 17, 2011

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Is there a way to tell if a friend has blocked me from Facebook, or simply deleted their account?

I got back in touch with a friend after a decade, we added each other, she posted all over my wall, we swapped phone numbers and promised to hang out if either of us were ever nearby, but for really, really no reason her posts disappeared from my wall, she's not on my friends list and while her name shows up in a quick search (with a profile picture she stopped using a really, really long time ago) it doesn't load at all. The full search function turns up no results.

If she's deleted her account I might try to keep in touch every once in a while, but I don't want to bug her if she wants to be left alone.

KittenofDoom fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Oct 18, 2011

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Use another account.

KittenofDoom
Apr 15, 2003

Me posting IRL
Huh. I guess she really did deactivate then. Thanks!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
How do get black mold out of the corners/edges of my shower? I'm using Scrubbing Bubbles and a decent brush, but it's not coming off. If I get a coarser brush I'm afraid I'll start to take off the caulk.

I'm normally a very clean person! :gonk:

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

jackpot posted:

How do get black mold out of the corners/edges of my shower? I'm using Scrubbing Bubbles and a decent brush, but it's not coming off. If I get a coarser brush I'm afraid I'll start to take off the caulk.

I use some spray stuff thats for showers.

Let it sit for an hour or so and then use a very stiff/steel brush.

You'd have to go really hard to start taking off chunks of grout

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Do big cats (lions, tigers, etc) purr?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ego-bot posted:

They can purr when they breath out, but not in and out like small cats.
http://www.sandiegozoo.org/animalbytes/t-smallcat.html
Google for videos of them doing it.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

jackpot posted:

If it is caulk and not grout (tiles vs cracks between door fixtures) just scrape it out and replace it. It's easy to do and the biggest mistake you can make is not sealing all the way or following pretty simple instructions for surface applications.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

How does geolocation work? I understand what it's used for. I was thinking about it earlier and it occurs to me that I don't really know how the nuts and bolts of it work - is it something like a PHP script that gets your IP and compares it with a table of IP address ranges or is it some hugely complex Google-style thing with banks of servers?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Encryptic posted:

How does geolocation work? I understand what it's used for. I was thinking about it earlier and it occurs to me that I don't really know how the nuts and bolts of it work - is it something like a PHP script that gets your IP and compares it with a table of IP address ranges or is it some hugely complex Google-style thing with banks of servers?

Most geolocation services keep and maintain their own lookup tables. There's various means for actually figuring out what IP is in what location. With pay ones, you're paying for depth of coverage and accuracy. Some of the free ones are pretty basic -- just a flat file you can load and do lookups with. I'm not aware of any services that can do any sort of real-time geolocation.

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!

kimbo305 posted:

They can purr when they breath out, but not in and out like small cats.
http://www.sandiegozoo.org/animalbytes/t-smallcat.html
Google for videos of them doing it.

The Cheetah can, however it's status one of the big cats is debatable:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheetah

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Most geolocation services keep and maintain their own lookup tables. There's various means for actually figuring out what IP is in what location. With pay ones, you're paying for depth of coverage and accuracy. Some of the free ones are pretty basic -- just a flat file you can load and do lookups with. I'm not aware of any services that can do any sort of real-time geolocation.

Cool, thanks for the explanation. :)

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Spermando posted:

I got into an argument earlier about cremation. Are the corpses taken out of the coffins before they're burnt or do they just toss them in the furnace, casket and all? In one of the funeral parlors in my town, they remove the bodies and transfer them onto a stretcher of sorts, which transports them into the furnace. This is done partly because of the high cost of caskets, so I'm not sure if this is the standard practise everywhere.

When my mom was cremated we had the option of a viewing in a casket. After the viewing, the body would be transferred to a "cremation vessel" (fancy words for a cardboard box) and the casket would be sent to a company that recycles them.

What we opted for was a "limited viewing" where the body was tastefully prepared in the cremation vessel (which was covered in some very nice looking but almost certainly cheap silk sheets). After the viewing, the body, vessel, and sheets were placed directly in to the crematorium.

fredor
Apr 10, 2007
I use google chrome. My hotkey to open a new tab is my middle mouse button. Why on some websites, such as metacritic, when I middle click something it opens a new tab with the link AND makes my current page the new link as well?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
What's probably happening is that Metacritic is trying to avoid a new page load. When you open a new web page, you have to re-request all of the images, scrips, stylesheets, ads... everything that the webpage displays. Due to the way that the HTTP protocol was designed, each of the elements is a separate request that has to be handled individually, which can be tens, or maybe a few hundred requests for a modern webpage. Web developers for large sites (Facebook, in particular, is guilty of this) have figured out that they can use Ajax and Javascript to shuffle things around, making it look like a new page has been loaded, but actually re-using most of the content that you've already downloaded from them. This means more efficient use of bandwidth and server processing time, in exchange for much more complex code.

What's probably happening is that they're detecting a "click," and trying to stop the default "load a new page" behavior, and replace it with a "grab a few new elements" behavior. The new tab isn't having any of this, so you end up with the replaced behavior in the old tab, and the new tab loading the page as if you'd just typed the url into the location bar.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

If it is caulk and not grout (tiles vs cracks between door fixtures) just scrape it out and replace it. It's easy to do and the biggest mistake you can make is not sealing all the way or following pretty simple instructions for surface applications.
Ugh, not a chance. I've tried caulking stuff before and failed miserably; the people who did this tub were skilled and knew what they were doing, if I go in there I'll just gently caress it all up.

It's caulk, the rubbery kind. I'll just try scrubbing harder. :)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Why do some guys grow the fingernail on one pinky really long?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

greazeball posted:

Why do some guys grow the fingernail on one pinky really long?
It's a coke nail, although some people probably just do it for a counterculture fashion statement.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Feenix posted:

It's a coke nail, although some people probably just do it for a counterculture fashion statement.

That's all I can think of too, but I can't understand why you would do it when you work in an office.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
In Asian cultures, it's a symbol of being a wealthy white-collar worker since poor laborers can't have long pinky nails that will hinder their work or break off. It's sort of like having a tan that shows you're wealthy enough to not work and can go sunbathing all the time. Also, some use it to pick earwax.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
A guy I knew who played Flamenco guitar grew out all of the nails on one hand and used them as picks. Just the pinkie is probably a coke nail though.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

greazeball posted:

That's all I can think of too, but I can't understand why you would do it when you work in an office.

coke makes office work a lot more tolerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Ego-bot posted:

The general rule I've heard is that cats can purr or roar but not both. Though as has already been pointed out, big cats can purr in a small way.

Edit: and someone mentioned the cheetah, which indeed can purr but not roar.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 18, 2011